Macrobiotic Cafe Evah Dining

Vegan restaurant with a nice setting. Servers pay attention to details. Set menus of several courses of fresh and healthy dishes. Also sells some packaged baked goods and other products. Changed menu to be all vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Bakery

Fit_Fathers
Fit_Fathers

Fukuoka's Finest

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2015

This quaint and classy vegan cafe is only a 7-minute walk from the Akasaka train station. Of course it's embedded within the neighborhood scene of Fukuoka so pay attention to where you are heading. The macrobiotic dining is pretty contemporary in comparison to traditional Japanese eateries. Open daily until 10 pm, each day the menu changes with unique and divergent options. My wife Misa and I arrived on a Friday evening and chose a random 5-course set for two replete with:

- Chilled tomatoes dipped in a pear and basil purée.
-A soft whole grain roll and a white slice of bread which we turned down
-Zucchini soup.
-Herb rich Tofu dumplings topped with Bok Choy and radishes smothered in a light tomato sauce. Amazing!
-Miso soup and mushroom ginger brown rice.
-Palate cleansing melon sorbet.

English is rare at this establishment (at least when we went) and both the menu and website are communicated in Japanese. So expect to be "lost in translation" unless you speak the native tongue like Misa. Our waiter addressed some English but not enough to fully explain the program. Evah's ambience is set around chill, lounge and jazz music, candle lit decor and a miniature library with travel and culinary books for enjoyment while patiently awaiting your vegan experience.

Evah charges $30 a person for the 5-set course. There are also some $20 sets with a few less options. However, pricing is based on two so we couldn't order unique dinners for our $60 meal which was odd. Yes, this is Japanese vegan dining at its finest.

Keep in mind Evah has takeout locations which serve a variety of “Bento Boxes” for roughly $8 to $10. Yet, these meals are well-prepared foods and not the typical fast foods you would expect elsewhere. The location I explored was on floor B2 of the Iwataya Honten department store at Fukuoka Station. The other location is nestled at Hakata Station. We picked up four meals and chowed down for lunch, dinner and breakfast during our first two days in Fukuoka.

Itadakimasu!

Pros: Pure, delicious , date night environment
Cons: small portions , pricey
Sal  Y
Sal Y

Vegan heaven :)

Posted on 03 / 17 / 2015

Cafe Evah is just a short walk from Akasaka subway station. There are also outlets in JR Hakata Station (1F) and Iwataya Department Store (B2F) where you can pick up lunch-on-the-go and baked goods.

Serving amazing set lunches and a more extensive range of dinner options, Cafe Evah is a great option for delicious vegan and macrobiotic Japanese cuisine. The friendly staff speak some English and can help to translate the menu.

JesseD
JesseD

Fukoka's Top Restaurant / Great Bentos

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2015

Evah Dining are Fukuoka's top vegan restaurant, and currently the only one in central Fukuoka. Their restaurant serves classy vegan / macrobiotic food, and while it's in the upper price bracket, it's excellent value. Set meals (especially the cheaper ones) are comparable in price to other (non-veg) restaurants, but a world apart in quality. Their 2500 Yen dinner set was amazing!

And other reviewers have noted the bento stall. It's on the first floor of Hakata Station, and is quite easy to find. Their bentos are also excellent value, with a large bento of several different dishes costing under 1000 Yen. If travelling on a budget, late into the evening before they close (perhaps around 9PM) they reduce the prices of all boxes by 200 Yen, so I recommend stopping by if you pass through Hakata Station to pick up some for the next day's breakfast. They're also great for taking out for day trips.

Pros: great food, all vegan, take-out bentos (boxes)

iokan
iokan

Found it! Well, sort off

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

Like other reviewers I could not find this place. Yet on the last day of my stay in Fukuoka I found their outlet. It is located on the base floor of Hakata station (the main station of Fukuoka) near a bunch of shops that sell so-called "Bento Boxes".

Bento boxes are traditional Japanese lunch boxes with little compartments for each part of the meal. Evah offers an assortment of lunch boxes and sweets on the station. Based on the advice of the sales girl I choose the one with the most variety, so I could really sample everything Evah can do.

Based on this rather cheap and cold lunch box I would definitely search harder for the real Evah restaurant next time I visit Fukuoka. It is much taster than a basic bento box and it simply feels healthier. If their outlet offers this quality, the actual restaurant should be excellent!

Pros: low price, high quality, healhty
Cons: still haven't found the real place
Tertia
Tertia

Could not find it

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

I tried to find the restaurant the other day, but it was impossible to find, I walked around the streets for about 20 minutes and asked two locals, including some one running an organic wine bar, but I did not succeed (however, I do not speak Japanese).
I ended up at an Indian restaurant called Nanak, which was vegetarian friendly as well.

Cons: not easy to find
trombleyal
trombleyal

Uh-Mazing

Posted on 02 / 10 / 2013

When I visited in this restaurant in June of 2012, everything was vegan & they had created an English menu. Everyone was friendly, and I was given a free sample of some kind each time I visited. The "crab" cakes are ridiculously good & they sell a few things like pasta & baked goods. The low lighting & calm music (artists like Bob Dylan & Norah Jones) make it a very relaxing atmosphere.

Pros: Delicious, Calm atmosphere, Free samples!
Ged
Ged

Mostly veggie

Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

Although meat & fish are on the menu, they cater very well for vegans and I don't think they use eggs. I had the lentil curry which was very tasty. I couldn't make my mind up which cake to have, so they gave me half a slice of each served up with a tasty soya cream and green tea sauce. It is also in an interesting area called Tenjin not far from the centre. Opening hours:11:30-15:00 & 18:00-22:00.

Pros: great service, great food
Cons: no english menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Macrobiotic Cafe Evah Dining: