MacNiven's Restaurant and Bar

Serves meat, veg options available. Scottish American restaurant and bar. Has vegetarian haggis and vegan chili served alone, atop a taco salad, or inside a quesadilla. Cheap prices to slightly more. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Scottish, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by hpames
sarahsvati
sarahsvati

Clear vegan options and knowledgeable staff

3 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2012

I like that the staff is very knowledgeable about what is vegan and what can be made vegan. I had the french onion soup (without cheese) and the vegan haggis. The entree of haggis was a lot of food and without much variation in flavor or texture, but this is likely a difference of taste.

This is a nice option to have in the Mass Ave area.

Pros: Clear vegan options, Nice lively pub atmosphere
kaduhacissej
kaduhacissej

Veg Haggis!!

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

The veggie haggis is one of the most amazing things I've ever put in my mouth. I haven't been able to bring myself to try anything else on the menu the few times I've been here. My omni husband devoured my leftovers and made his carnivorous coworkers jealous with how delicious it smelled. The neeps and tatties on the side are also delicious if you're veg but they're not vegan apparently. I was a bit bummed that there weren't more beers on draught, but they have a great selection of bottled beer. The service each times has been great. If this was in my neighborhood, I would go here once a week.

Pros: Veggie haggis!, Beer selection, Awesome service
Cons: Not as many draught beers as I'd hoped
Annakin
Annakin

What a Relief!

4 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2011

After reading the reviews of MacNiven's, I was some what reluctant to go there. I am vegan and it seemed like this place would be vegetarian at best. I even called before going there earlier this evening. I asked the young woman who answered the phone if the vegetarian haggis was vegan. She said, "no." I asked her if it could be made vegan. She said, "no." Then I asked her if anything on the menu could be made vegan. She replied, "no, nothing can be made vegan." Pretty rude. And as it turns out pretty wrong.

I am quite happy that me and my family decided to stop by MacNiven's despite this discouraging conversation. When we sat down and inquired about the food, we were pleasantly surprised. Our server was a nice young woman named Liz. She informed us that the vegetarian haggis is vegan as long as you substitute the mash potatos and sweet neep sides for either a side salad, bowl of chilli, or fries. She explained that other vegetarian items could be made vegan on the menu by requesting them without cheese.

My father, brother and myself are vegans. My mother is a vegetarian. We were all very happy with the meal we had at MacNiven's this afternoon. The Vegetarian Haggis is awesome! And so was the beer, by the way. :)

It is good to see that MacNiven's has made necessary improvements in response to its criticisms. The only suggestion I would make is to make sure that all the staff (especially the ones answering the phone!!!) is aware that the vegetarian haggis and other items on the menu can be prepared vegan... Also! Give Liz (she had short, dark curly hair if there is more than one) a raise or an awesome xmas bonus. What a great server!

We will definitely return next time we're in Indianapolis.

Pros: Delicious Haggis, Great Server, Beer Selection
Cons: A rude person answers phone inquires, only some vegetarian options

Britboy
Britboy

Inconsistent food, rude service.

2 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

I go to McNivens a few times every year and have found the food to be inconsistent, sometimes quite good sometimes very poor. The servers and general attitude is usually quite poor and can even be borderline rude. Several times I have ordered a beer and been brought what I was told was the "equivalent". Ambience is typical of what an American thinks is an "authentic" scottish bar. In reality, Mc Nivens is just a typical American sports bar as far as ambiance goes.

Pros: clean
Cons: inconsistent food, rude service
Guest
Guest

MacNiven's

1 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2008

This resturant has the worst customer service I have ever seen. I went here about a month ago the food was awful and they claimed to have about 120 different types of beer. Everyone I asked for was "Sorry we don't have that". Also the resturant had a bad smell to it that day.

Cons: food, price, staff
  • macniven1 macniven1

The owners would like more details as to the comment about them being rude, and the overall customer service from this review. We do carry 120 beers, some very difficult for our suppliers to keep in stock, if they have it, we have it. The bad smell may have had something to do with the construction of a 10 story building going on next door, not sure, we smell like a pub. Stuart & Troy

MesaChelli
MesaChelli

Great veg pub fare--who knew?!

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2008

The veg haggis was a happy surprise--delicious. And the atmosphere in MacNiven's was very comfortable (friendly and not too crowded or too loud), even with smokers on the bar side of the wall. Indoor smoking has been outlawed where I live, and I really prefer it that way. My favorite part of both my two visits was the beer from Three Floyds (Muncie IN). Three Floyds' Robert the Bruce ("Respect the Bruce!") is the smoothest pint I've ever had. Possibly my favorite beer, ever!

Pros: Robert the Bruce!, veg pub food
lilmammal
lilmammal

Fun place, good food, great beer

4 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2008

This Mass Ave establishment is a fave for my husband and I. Though they have a few vegetarian items to chose from, we get the same items every time because we like them so much: vegetarian haggis and the vegetable vermicelli dish. The staff is attentive and it appears that many of them have stuck around from the opening a few years ago. It gets crowded quickly so go early if you can. They have an amazing, exotic beer selection from all over the world. Let the bartender or your waitstaff suggest one and you'll not be disappointed.

Pros: location, beers, staff
Cons: can be crowded on weekends
irish fan
irish fan
  • non-vegetarian

Wonderful Experience!!!

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2008

I was with a group of friends in town for a convention and we had dinner at MacNiven's last Saturday night. The food was wonderful, and our little waitress, Ryan, gave us excellent service. (we asked her name, since we were so impressed! Not once did we have to 'track' down our waitress to get service. She anticipated our needs and was always checking on us to see if we needed anything. We are planning on being back in town for another conference in November and will definitely go back! In a world full of really poor service, this was a refreshing change!! Kudos!!!!

macniven1
macniven1
  • non-vegetarian

Owners Response

3 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2008

I tried contacting JoeCustomer directly but they do not exist. The review reflects the opinion of a group that were asked to leave the restaurant by me, the owner, for inappropriate behaviour, hence the bitter review.
We do have Veggie Haggis back, our apologies to the guest who visited during our change over phase when we were out. We do try to offer as many vegetarian items as our small kitchen can handle, especially as my wife is vegetarian. Thanks, Stuart Robertson.

JoeCuStomer
JoeCuStomer

Overall rating -a disappointment

2 Posted on 02 / 18 / 2008

I ordered the grilled cheese and vegetarian chili
and both were very tasty. The hostess was rude to
our dining group and the Belgian beer and German beer that I consumed did not taste right. I don't know if the bottles were too old, but they tasted skanky. I am not planning to return to this establishment in the near future.

Pros: Waitress-service, Grilled cheese, Chili
Cons: Hostess attitude, Expensive , Old beer?
  • macniven1 macniven1

Hi, one of the managers from MacNiven's here. Sorry to hear about the beer problems. Can you tell me what brand you had so I can check my stock. Also, what happened with the hostess?
    Troy

hpames
hpames

Keeping my hopes up

2 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2007

First time I ate here I tried the Vegetarian Haggis (who'd have thought?) and thought it was delicious. The next two times I went (months apart), craving the veggie haggis, they were out--they said both times that they were switching distributors. The neeps were tasty, but the grilled cheese was lacklustre. At least they try.
And, though they have a great list, the beer is really expensive.

Pros: Veggie Haggis is quite tasty, Atmosphere is swanky, Great beer list
Cons: Expensive beer, often out of Veg Haggis, other veg food mediocre

Dear Owner and Manager of MacNiven's Restaurant and Bar: