LöVenzahn is the first 100% vegan restaurant in this city, opened Sept 2013. Offers a daily lunch special in addition to its menu. Dogs welcomed. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Beer/Wine, German, Western
Eichelsheimer Straße 42
Mannheim, Germany 68163
0621-43954000

Mon-Sat 11:30am-11:30pm, Sun 9:00am-2:00pm

First Review by Oski79
globaldude
globaldude

Alles gut! Schöne Terrasse!

4 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2014

Das Essen war sehr gut. Wir haben die Karotten-Ingwer Suppe und die asiatische Nudeln Suppe, das Paprikagulasch, und die Kartoffelrösti. Die Presentation war auch schön.

Weil wir unseren Hund mitgebraucht hatten, wollten wir draussen sitzen. Die "Terrasse" war gut "geschminkt":-). Farblich auf grün und orange.

The food was very good. We ordered the carrot-ginger soup and the asian noodle soup, the pepper gulasch, and the hash brown. The preseantation was alles nice.

Becuase we brought our dog with us, we wanted to sit outside. The terrace was nicely decorated: Colorful in green and orange.

Pros: Good food, Nice seating area outside, Very nice presentation
Cons: Prices are a little high
Gudrun
Gudrun

Fair or Excellent?

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2014

During a business trip to Mannheim back in February I went to "Lövenzahn" two evenings in a row.

The first evening I had a local specialty, "Käsespätzle", normally a type of egg noodles or dumplings with cheese ("Käse"). They were quite bland and surprisingly when I asked the staff member who served it what the cheese consists of he just said that he did not know - and he did not make any attempt to find out. I forgot what exactly my omnivore colleague had, but it was some type of pasta dish which did not look very inspired and she was not too crazy about it. When we arrived we were advised to better reserve a table next time, indeed the place was quite crowded.

What is maybe good to know: there is also very limited space for parking in the area, it took us a very long time (more than 30 minutes) to find a parking spot, and it was not so close to the restaurant.

Since the menu offered other things as well and this was the only vegan place around I knew of I returned next evening with two other omnivore persons. Again we came by car (my friends came from outside of the city) and surprisingly we found a parking spot right in front of the restaurant. Of course that was a coincidence, but the rest of the evening was great as well.

We tried and shared three different dishes (no "Käsespätzle"!) including a selection of starters. Our main dishes were fried tempeh with soybean sprouts and broccoli in coconut milk with peanut-basmati rice / creamy risotto with eggplant, roasted pine nuts, stewed tomatoes and marinated rocket salad / pasta made of sweet potatoes with eggplant-tomato sugo. Everything was just great and the staff was very helpful and friendly as well. We had a wonderful evening and also my friends really liked the food.

On both evenings I noticed a nice and cozy atmosphere, and the wine they served was great, too!

Rating is a bit difficult because if I had been here only the first evening I'd had said "fair", while the second evening was just "excellent" ...

Pros: Have some great dishes, Cosy atmosphere, Good wine
Cons: Quality of food not consistent, Committment of staff inconsistent
ChristianaHasldorf
ChristianaHasldorf

Uninspired

2 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2014

We went to have a great dinner before going to a live concert.
What can I say, prices like in Paris but not gourmet at all.. I hate to say it but I did not have a good time. The atmosphere was so tense and I was so relieved after we had left knowing that I will never have to come back. My carrot ginger soup was really good but my daughter's food wasn't. She had Seitanbraten (14 EUR), I tried a piece, it was greasy and mushy and did not taste good, the potatoes were almost cold, the salad leaves were too large und the rest of the salad was mushy, too. I waited for my dessert for about an hour, by then the restaurant was crammed full and I asked for the bill as we had to go.
The decoration was uninspired, modern but nothing seemed to really go together - as with the food too.. Besides, I felt like sitting at a side table facing the entrence of the ladies' restroom.
I hope it was just a bad day in the restaurant's history but it was our experience..
Updated from previous review on Monday March 10, 2014

Pros: Good carrot soup
Cons: Bad seitan, Uninspired decoration, Long waiting

ira
ira

Convenient location, friendly atmosphere

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

We had about an hour to kill in between connecting trains at Mannheim Hauptbahnhof (central station), and just by chance we looked up if there was any vegan food nearby. It was only a five-minute walk from the platform to Lövenzahn. We didn't eat much, but we liked the speed and the taste of the food. The christmas dinner menu looked real good, too. We'll be back!

Pros: convenient location, fast and friendly service, affordable
Cherry7
Cherry7

My first visit to a vegan restaurant

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

Yesterday I just dropped by this new restaurant called Lövenzahn.
It's a vegan restaurant in Mannheim. It is located near the main train station.
I looked through the menu and decided to try out their cocos pumpkin soup with bread and a salad. I have to admit that they were fast. It only needed 10 minutes for my soup and my drink. The flavour-mix between the pumpkin and the cocos was new for me. I have to say, I really liked it. The salad dressing was different but very tasty. It's a dressing made from potatoes.The waitress told me that the menu changed a couple weeks ago so they added some meals.

Good food in a cozy atmosphere was one of my first minds. Because of the candles and the lounge-music I stayed a little longer and enjoyed a coffee with soy-milk. The waitress brought me sugar in a glass. The sugar looked like little brown crystals. It was little annoying because the sugar didn't melt quickly.

The bill for my meal with drinks were affordable. Not too expensive for this quality. I wanted to pay with my credit card but this wasn't possible so I had to pay cash.

My visit to the Lövenzahn was a nice experience and I'm really excited. I think it's recommendable even for people who are not vegan. It's a nice alternative to "normal" restaurants.

Pros: delicious meals, moderate prices, cozy atmosphere
Cons: Only cash payment
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Decent Sunday brunch

3 Posted on 11 / 03 / 2013

On Sundays, they serve only brunch, open hours 9:00-14:00

While the brunch was filling (lots of food!) and decent price, it wasn't anything outstanding for which I would travel very far.

If you're in the area and looking for a good brunch, I'd definitely recommend this place - even to your friends who eat meat.

For 9,50€ I had a giant bowl of yoghurt with sliced bananas and amaranth grains, a basket of bread with homemade spread and slices of cucumber & tomato, plus a glass of orange juice and 1/4 of a pineapple. Quite a lot of food, so the value for your money is high.

However, this isn't anything extraordinary. I could easily make this at home with little effort.

I didn't see anything about their menu for the rest of the week, but I'll say that Sunday brunch is filling, has a good price, but nothing shocking.

Unlike the previous review, I thought the decorations were quite nice, and the place has a good atmosphere.

Pros: Large portions, All vegan
Cons: Not impressive
Oski79
Oski79

Good falafel at least

2 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

The restaurant is located is not located in the city center, but not far off either - still in walking distance from the central station.

We ate there on a Saturday around 2 pm and it turned out they were only serving snacks until late afternoon. We decided to stay and had falafel, corn on the cob was also available.
The falafel was good and came in a fair sized portion and as a variation of three different additions for flavour. They also had desserts and a cupcake, but we were full after the falafel.

The menu is small but looked interesting.

It is thus a good option for a filling snack in the afternoon, but I think it should serve proper meals throughout the day on Saturdays, as did some of the other guests during our stay who were as suprised as we were - one couple also ordered the falafel and the other left.

Annoyingly the beer was completely sold out except for the non-alcoholic one.

The restaurant looks modern, albeit uninspired.

Not really worth the way for a snack if you're in the center - maybe for dinner (I think it's served from around 5 pm on) it's more interesting.
Updated from previous review on Monday October 21, 2013

Pros: good food in fair portions
Cons: kitchen not open throughout day, uninspired furnishing

Dear Owner and Manager of Lovenzahn: