Dish of the day, a weekly oven meal, and menu. Garden seating in summer. Popular with students. Try the chocolate cake. Tell them if you are vegan and they will adjust it perfectly. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Belgian, International
Vlamingenstraat 55
Leuven, Belgium
+32-016-22-9705

Call for hours - tell us

• Cash only

First Review by Niels Van Och
hl_morrissey
hl_morrissey

Great atmosphere

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

I am not sure why so many people are saying that the vegan option is just the vegetarian without some items - I have been to this place three times and they have always added something to replace whatever they took off. I have always eaten the daily board and really enjoyed it. I feel like they could make it clear whether the free appetiser is vegan, and maybe a vegan dessert would be nice (these are not labelled and it is not clear either way). The food is simple and wholesome and the atmosphere is great. I really like this place, although it is true that the food is not "gourmet" - but what do you expect in Belgium for 15 euro?

Pros: accommodating of vegans, great atmosphere
Cons: closed on weekends, service can be confusing
wgroeneveld
wgroeneveld

cozy and small but a bit unusual

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

We did not quite know what to expect when we entered the small house which actually turns out to be a restaurant. The menu is very weird: you only get two options: the baked version of the meal of the day or the default version (which seems to contain a portion of the baked one?).
Water is free, you have to fill it yourself outside. It's small scale and cozy, and relatively cheaply prized. I was quite stuffed and couldn't handle a piece of the self-baked pie.

I'd recommend it to others who like something alternative but warn them first :)

Pros: free water, unique take, one choice, cozy, next to the park
Cons: a bit too "unique"/weird?
behindthelines
behindthelines

fair, but no gourmet restaurant

3 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

I've lunched here a couple of times, and find there to be not too much variation. It's good veg food, but no gourmet experience.
They offer a vegetarian soup and dish of the day, that will be accomodated for vegans upon request. That however means leaving out the dairy and egg preparations on the plate and replacing them with more rice or grains. Which made it dull.
Prices are reasonable.
There were many desserts on offer (cakes) and they looked fine, but none of them were vegan when I lunched there.
The place is spacious, also has outdoor seating. Free tap water, which you can go get yourself on a tap outside.
Updated from previous review on Friday January 07, 2011

Pros: outdoor seating, free tap water
Cons: few variation in main dish for vegans

Paopao
Paopao

Good for vegetarians, not so good for vegans

2 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

I had lunch there only once, I don't think I'll get back as as a vegan the choice is limited. The dish of the day made vegan consisted on taking away the dairy bits and left it half empty charging me the same price as the usual which I thought was a bit weird. I found the service was a bit strange too: there's a lot of self-service going on, which I didn't get at the beginning. The food was ok, not as good as I expected it to be honest.

The restaurant is popular with the local academic community as Leuven is a big university pole in Belgium. For a vegetarian it can actually be a good choice, for vegan, a bit less. I had not the chance to experience the other dishes, maybe there are more vegan options but it wasn't made clear to me as when I asked for vegan options I was delivered the veg dish of the day made vegan.

The bread they made is very nice though.

Pros: informal crowd
Cons: small
Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

Best vegetarian food in Leuven

5 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2009

My girlfriend and I dined here once, and enjoyed it thoroughly!

The service system is somewhat unusual: you collect your cutlery yourself, and you can choose to fill a caraffe with (free) tap water. The rest of the food (except dessert) is served at the table though.

The menu was limited: a plate of the day which consists of about six small dishes, an oven dish, or a few salads were the only main courses. However, the plate of the day was definately worth it.
There were three possibilities for first courses, including a soup of the day, and a few desserts. Try one of the homemade pies!

The price is quite reasonable: for a soup, main course and dessert, I paid 17 euros, and it was an excellent meal.

As a final note: the restaurant also provides take-away food (in reusable containers) and a catering service.

Definately a place worth visiting if you're in Leuven!

Pros: free water, good service, tasty food
Cons: limited choice

Dear Owner and Manager of Lukemieke: