Established since April 2011, this is a vegan restaurant that provides creative gourmet cuisine using fresh seasonal produce. Booking is advised for weekends. Current location since Jan 2013; previously at Kollwitzstr 46. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, German, International, Gourmet, Buffet, Beer/Wine
Kollwitzstr 54 (near U2 Senefelder Platz)
Berlin, Germany 10405

Open Wed-Sun 6-11pm.

First Review by OandG
Emorp
Emorp

Destination for veg diners

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2014

We went in July 2014, and although details have faded in memory, we had the full 5 course menu and it was inventive, tasty, generous and an all round excellent vegan dining experience.
Seek it out!

Pros: Great vegan food, Lovely area, Generous courses
Kyttiara
Kyttiara

I get sick here!

2 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

So disappointed! I went there with lots of vegan people for a "stammtisch" and I waited for more than an hour to get my dish.. It was cold, and I got sick after that!! I'm intolerant to gluten and they told me there was no gluten in the dish but I really doubt it. Anyways, everybody seems to like this place so maybe I should give it another try when it's less busy. Oh, and the waiter could be a bit more polite to,, that won't hurt ;)

Pros: nice vegan choices
Cons: Waited more than 1hour,dish arrived cold, dish was not fresh, very unpolite
marcbr
marcbr

Best vegan restaurant in Berlin

5 Posted on 08 / 04 / 2014

They offer 5 dishes which change daily. From them you can choose as many as you want. We all had 2 of them and is more than enough. The portions are bigger than what you would expect from a kind of elegant restaurant.
The atmosphere is nice, the staff very polite and the food remarkable. No doubt this is the best vegan restaurant I have been to so far in Berlin.
It is pricey (around 35 per person), but worth it.

Pros: Food , Staff, Location
Cons: Price (although understandable)

elrujo
elrujo

GREAT STUFF

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2014

this is it, in a great area an amazing restaurant

wonderful design and good food

a bit pricey though as a remark

Pros: good food, nice design
Cons: pricey
acadiechick
acadiechick

Outstanding

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2014

Out of all the vegan and vegan friendly restaurants in Berlin (and believe me, there are many), this was one of my favourites. The food was outstanding and artfully plated. They even served us some complimentary amuses! The portion size was perfect - the three course meal left me comfortably full without feeling wanting. The service was also exceptional. The modern setting of the restaurant is also fantastic. I will definitely be going again when I am next in Berlin.

Pros: Great food, Service, Atmosphere
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Finest vegan meal I've had in a restaurant...

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

My experience of Lucky Leeks was superb. There are no restaurants like this where I currently live so this was a completely inspiring experience. Good quality vegan food, well put together, eloquently served, and well presented. My friend and I both opted for the 5 course set-menu and there was no disappointment. Great flavours throughout and enough food to leave my tummy feeling very satisfied. Quite expensive but certainly worth the money. I went to another restaurant two days before which I guess was similar and I rated it 5 happy cows but now I know what is possible this experience sets a new bar for me and I will have to downgrade my other review to a four. Highly recommended if you want to make a nice evening of vegan dining.

Pros: Everything
Unaban
Unaban

Simply Wonderful!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

On holiday in Berlin earlier this month, my husband an omnivore and I a vegan tried many of the cafes and restaurants listed on Happy Cow and enjoyed most of them.
However, Lucky leek stands out as one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Right from the start it was clear that this is a business that sets itself very high standards in ambiance, service, cooking, presentation- well everything really. Staff members were all charming and knowledgeable without the stuffiness one encounters often in high end restaurants. The food was delicious and beautifully presented, a feast for all the senses. We were also very pleasantly surprised that it was relatively inexpensive. I can't wait for the next opportunity to visit.

Pros: Everything
Katha maute
Katha maute

Excellent, very good

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

very good food, extra wishes no prob, nice atmosphere, great place for romantic dinner - I will come again. :)

Ten Rainbows
Ten Rainbows

Something special

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

We came to Berlin mainly for the food, honestly. The history of course too, but we'd had the city recommended for several reasons and most recently as a vegan haven, which convinced us make the trip from The Netherlands.

Lucky Leek is a place like no other I've been too. A fancy, almost posh experience. Yet completely unpretentious. I dined in a hoodie and of course being in Berlin other tables were populated by families, fancy evening dress and mohawks.

Obviously being more of a traditional restaurant and vegan instantly marks it out as unusual. So it was a pleasant surprise than it surpassed our expectations. A fancy meal out in a lovely restaurant with super creative gourmet food.

I would definitely recommend for a special occasion, for us, tat was simply being in Berlin!

Pros: Originality of the food, A slightly different experience, Down to earth staff
MateuszK
MateuszK

Great, well presented food, worth the money

5 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

A bit pricey for my taste but otherwise really tasty, clever, gourmet food. Strongly recommended for everyone looking for excellent quality dining.

T0
T0

excellent!!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2014

One of the best vegan restaurants in Europe! Excellent, well balanced food, beautifully presented without being pretentious. Nice atmosphere and very competent and friendly staff.

amy89
amy89

Fantastic food and service

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2014

Had a fantastic meal here- gourmet food and great service.

The menu clearly changes regularly and is limited but everything we tried was delicious. Had a soup starter and for main shared one risotto and one pasta. Both inventive with imaginative flavour pairings and interesting texture combinations.

Would highly recommend this place to vegans and meat eaters alike. Staff were friendly and although the price wasn't cheap (about 15euros per main course) it was definitely worth it and fairly priced.

The restaurant is on a lovely street that has other nice bars on it which made for a pleasant evening overall.

Pros: food, service , location
Cons: none
craigmc
craigmc

quality food

5 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

I have to say that after a visit to luck leek, I will have to look at future reviews based on my visit. I feel it's a benchmark!

I do have yo say if I lived in Berlin I might say thr menu is a bit limited, but as a tourist I thought it was awesome.

It could be seen as pricey, but I think for offering fresh original food, its good value. I started with the red pepper and miso soup, with a broccoli spring roll and it was really tasty. Normally I wouldn't bother with the soup but was intrigued with the miso aspect, and was not let down. First mouthful wasa rich pepper taste, but as I finished the hit of miso punched my tastebuds, excellent.

I had the seitan roast for main, with onion gravy and mash, and again it was fantastic. The seitan was tender yet full of flavour once eaten.

A four piece desert finished off the evening, varied in texture and taste, boom!

A must if you come to Berlin.

Pros: great service, great taste
eye of judgement
eye of judgement

fantastic place

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2013

This is a classy place for really good vegan food. Went here with a colleague while we were at a conference and got tired of the mediocre omnivore restaurants the other attendants went to. And boy did it improve our moods. Very well composed dishes, forming a great menu.
Highly recommended!

Pros: very tasty, great desserts
Cons: only two mains, a bit pricy
veggiesara
veggiesara

Exquisite vegan dining

5 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2013

If you want to have a classy dinner as a vegan, Lucky Leek is the place to be. The restaurant has a beautiful interior.
We had some sort of Thai soup with coconut. Then we ate a lovely starter. Rolls filled with lentils, paired with cucumber and other vegetables and a sauce made of coriander. The main dish was exquisite! At first I doubted if I was going to like this dish, because it’s seitan with a wine sauce, and I’m not a huge fan of wine sauces. But I did like it, in fact I really enjoyed it. There was some sort of deep-fried pear in a dough with it and a fresh salad.
We really enjoyed our dining experience in Lucky Leek and can't wait to visit again and try the full menu.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, friendly staff
ladyveg
ladyveg

Bland Taste / Expensive Price

2 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

Very disappointing birthday meal. Salty Risotto, bland and strange pairing of ingredients in the Kurbis pasta and luke warm service. I think they have designers working for them rather than chefs as the meals definitely looked attractive but a real shame about the taste and price. I definitely won't be going back.

kulwant
kulwant

not the the tipical veggie burger

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

Located in a nice part of the city, near the subway.

This is not the the tipical veggie burger, food has a nice presentation and flavourful taste.
Recommended for a business dinners or special days.

Reasonable price

Pros: Nice presentation
CHEFinBERLIN
CHEFinBERLIN

Wonderful, delish, relaxing, gourmet...

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

I've been to Lucky Leek several times. We went for our anniversary last weekend and had such a lovely dinner. We ordered the 5 course menu with wine pairing and it was fabulous. The plating has a real wow factor, not to be overdone by the flavourful taste combinations and textures. Well done!!

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, relaxing outdoor seating
GlobalVeganist
GlobalVeganist

Hm, just ok

3 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

Shame, I came with high expectations but those weren't really met. A creative mixture of ingredients but massive lack of flavour. Expensive for what you get. Am not rushing back.

jssmith
jssmith

Not so great service - was this an off-night?

2 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2013

Went here tonight after reading the fantastic reviews here, but our experience was coloured negatively by the poor treatment we received. We first walked in and were ignored by the wait staff, so we seated ourselves. The waiter came and served the 2 tables on either side of us, not giving us even a glance. When I asked him for our menu, he hesitated and reluctantly agreed. After he handed the menus to us, he asked us if we had made reservations, in a way that suggested we were not welcomed. When we said No, he said it 'should be okay'. Not exactly how 2 mild mannered patrons guests should be received. We later heard him speak rudely to new guests, who he turned away immediately after asking them short and pointed questions. I don't know if tonight was just an off-night, but we were pretty disappointed and will not return nor refer our many vegan friends to this establishment. The food was certainly delicious, but atmosphere counts as well and is part of the dining experience. We still left a small tip in case there was a misunderstanding or if the waiter was just having a bad day.

Pros: Excellent food
Cons: Poor service, Poor atmosphere, Unwelcoming staff
NIlsI
NIlsI

Haute cuisine

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

Was in the Lucky Leek just once but fell directly in love. Awesome, creative and delicious food, great outside area, nice staff, great gluten free options, high quality, ...

Last time I´ve been to Berlin we haven´t got a table but I will try again next time. I´m really looking forward to that!

Great!

Pros: food, varity, staff
Alynda
Alynda

I'd move to Berlin for this place!

5 Posted on 04 / 09 / 2013

Have been here twice, once last summer and again last weekend in their new location. Excellent, excellent food! The plates look like they're made by an artist and the food tastes like it's made by a vegan top chef. Great service and the prices are relatively low.

Pros: excellent food, unique taste combinations, beautiful plates
Cons: not enough light to make food pictures
Gudrun
Gudrun

Worth a visit - reserve on time!

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2012

This vegan gourmet restaurant is for sure worth a visit!

My two friends and me reserved a bit too late on a Saturday, so we could only get a slot of 1 1/2 hours in the evening. We were fine with this (there was no alternative for us since it was our last evening in Berlin). Unfortunately this meant that we could not get a dessert, it took some time until the starters and the main courses were brought and there just wasn't enough time. The portions were not too big but the food was just delicious, and everything was obviously freshly made which explains -and excuses- the waiting time.

The restaurant serves creative combinations, such as "Pumpkin Cordon Bleu with roasted la ratte potatoes, green wok vegetables and 3 kinds of mushrooms" or "Braised seitan medallions, red apple, rose hip gravy, cranberry cabbage and poppy seed croquettes".

Pros: delicious food, creative cuisine
Cons: small portions, can be crowded
J-Veg
J-Veg

Imaginative vegan food

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2012

I've been here on a few different occasions and I always look forward to going back.

The restaurant is in a nice neighbourhood and has both indoor and outdoor seating. It's quite intimate inside and there aren't many tables so I would definitely recommend booking ahead at weekends to prevent disappointment.

The food is usually very imaginative and creative and the dishes change regularly depending on season and the chef's inspiration. They also have a good selection of wine and beer.

Price-wise, I would say it's certainly at the higher end of the scale compared to Berlin but I think it's reasonable value for money.

Pros: Imaginative dishes, Intimate atmosphere, Nice neighbourhood
Cons: A little pricey (but worth it)
Amsterdam+girls
Amsterdam+girls

Great place

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

The place is small and cosy and therefore reservation is required. We went in the early evening and hadn't reserved(happened to be in the neighborhood but were lucky enough to get a table for 1.5 hours, nevertheless if you wished to enjoy a longer dinner reserve a head. The place is very cute and cozy, the girl on the serving was super friendly and an English speaker! the food was fresh , delicious and beautifully served. We loved the atmosphere , food, service.. everything really. They have a changing monthly menu with well balanced and varied choice and some dishes of the day to top it. Might be our favorite dinner place in Berlin, highly recommended!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff,, good value
SagarKShah
SagarKShah

Possibly the best vegan dining experience I've had

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2012

We visited Lucky Leek on the evening (a Sunday) of our first night in Berlin, and booked ahead as we had heard that the restaurant gets very busy. It was a very good decision to book in advance, as the restaurant was completely packed when we arrived. Although the restaurant isn't hidden away, it isn't clearly marked with signage, so make sure you take note of the restaurant address before you leave.

Three of us went together, and between us we shared two starters, three main courses and two desserts - so we essentially had a taster menu involving 7 different dishes, and every single one of them was outstanding. I don't think I've ever had such a great dining experience at a restaurant. The staff spoke good english, were friendly, and explained the dishes to us. Each course was wonderfully composed, bringing together a mix of flavours in every bite. They were healthy, yet filing; intricately laid out, but easy to eat.

For starters, we had the sweetpotato and chili soup with banana tempura, and the hot and sour vegetable soup with stuffed wontons. They were both absolutely delicious, with a mix of textures and flavours, and seasoned to perfection.

For main courses, we went for the Tandoori Tofu Skewers, Tomato Macadamia Seitan, and the Egglplant/Chive Rolls. Each of the three of us had a different favourite, but each of us would be delighted if we could get a main course that good at any restaurant in London.

For dessert we had the white mocha/nougat mousse and the mango caramel flan. These were so much more to them than any dessert we had been served in a vegan restaurant before. The Mango and Caramel flan came out on a long plate with a small chocolate truffle stuffed with creamed desiccated coconut, a scoop of avocado/lime, topped with a long vanilla wafer. Each of them provided a different flavour, and was superb. The mocha cake was great on its own right, but came served with some plum ragout, chocolate burfi and a hazelnut crisp.

If it were possible to give this restaurant, 6 cows, I would. Amazing food. Amazing Service. And at completely reasonable prices. A crime for any vegan who loves fine dining to come to Berlin and not come and not have a meal here.

Pros: Delicious Food, Varied Dishes, Friendly Staff
Cons: A little hard to find
anna900
anna900

I'd give it 6 cows if I could!

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

Beautiful intimate restaurant - booking highly recommended!
Waiters were courteous and attentive and we felt as though we could take our time over the meal.
This is proper gourmet-style vegan food at very reasonable prices. It's far better than a certain other Berlin gourmet restaurant - nowhere near as pretentious and you don't need to ring a bell to get in!
Foodwise, well, I think I can only echo what most other people say. Divine, subtle flavours that seduce your palate. There were so many pleasant suprises, from the beautifully caramelised roasted yellow courgette in the salad accompanying the starter to the richness of the espresso sorbet which set off the raspberry tart perfectly.
This isn't cooking, it's an art! I insisted my boyfriend took pictures of all the food as it was so beautifully presented - it was almost a shame to eat but I'm so glad I did!
We ate: potato and cucumber soup; spring roll (not your usual bog standard affair but fresh and packed with flavour); tandoori seitan (I'm not usually a fan of fake meats but this really worked and the combination of flavours was amazing); raspberry tart with espresso sorbet and fruits.
We drank: (a lot of) locally brewed beer; soya milk cappucinos; brandy and whisky digestifs.
The whole bill came to 57 Euros but at least 20 of that was drinks (well, it WAS Friday night after all...)
Please visit this place if you are going to Berlin. It's well worth travelling (we were staying 8km away so got a taxi but were so glad we did) if you are elsewhere in the city.
I can't wait to go back.

Pros: ingenius combination of flavours, very reasonable for posh nosh!, large portion sizes
Cons: they should open one in England!
Rosa and Joe
Rosa and Joe

Best vegan restaurant in the world?

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

Lucky Leek is the best place we have eaten in Berlin and in fact the best vegan place we've eaten out anywhere. We tried 2 different soups and 2 different starters and everything was amazing. They'd run out of desserts (a shame, they sounded delicious) but they made us up some fruit and ice cream from what they had in the kitchen. We went a year ago so they might have sorted this out by now. Very small so worth booking. If you're a vegan foodie don't miss this place, it's well worth the money!

sglcklch
sglcklch

Simply fantastic!

5 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

Hands down the best meal we had during our trip to Berlin. My partner and I shared two appetizers, two mains and two desserts. They were all creative, very well-seasoned and beautifully presented. I particularly enjoyed the cannelloni and the mango puree dessert. Even the dip that came with the bread basket was really good too. I think it was made from beets pureed with something starchy but the waiter wouldn't tell me what was in it lol

Service was friendly. The one guy that served us at first was kind of dull; the other one had a much nicer personality. The setting was lovely. There were many tiny little details in the decoration. Our meal cost €60 including a big bottle of sparkling water, which I thought was very reasonable.

Make sure you make a reservation. We had one for 6:30 on a Sunday. When we arrived, there were only two people dining, but all the rest of the tables had a reserved sign on. By the time we were finished, probably around 8, the whole place was packed including the outdoor seating. So plan ahead, you don't want to miss this gem!

Pros: excellent food, lovely decor, friendly staff
Gobbledock
Gobbledock

It's true! Lucky Leek is vegan fine dining heaven!

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2012

After reading all these great reviews of Lucky Leek I knew I HAD to eat there during my short trip to Berlin... and I've very very glad I did. The food was perfect. Beautifully prepared and presented with interesting and balanced flavours. This is the type of restaurant that makes me excited about the possibilities for vegan cuisine!!

The staff were friendly, and they have an English menu. But make sure you book, it was very busy, even on a Sunday night. Oh yeah, and I thought it was very reasonably priced around 60 euro for 2 people (shared starter, 2 mains, 2 deserts, 2 glasses of wine).

Pros: Impeccable presentation, Fine dining, Good value
matrosin
matrosin

my dessert was a vegan miró

4 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

hello there, I was at lucky leek and although it's small and hard to get a place it's a nice place to go. It's more the "romantic-eve-dinner-place", in contrast to Berlin's vegan fast food places. The food was very god and interesting and my dessert had similarities with a picture of Joan Miró. They really endeavoured.

But, it's expensive.

• Tandooria Tandooria

I don't see how you can call this place expensive.. Of yourse, when you compare it to fast food restaurants, as you do, with self service it is a different pricing, but never in the world expensive.
    You should go and visit other vegan restaurants in Berlin, they are ALL pricier than this one and none of them serves as creative dishes and a quality as good as they do.
    It is guests like you that kill dedication and the courage to let chefs get better and create new amazing food that can delight more people to accept vegan cuisine. If you only see the prices when you sit in a restaurant, you really should cook at home and save your money! Go out and enjoy your stay at a restaurant, get inspired! When you cannot afford it let it be but don't write an untrue review.

audreyjm
audreyjm

Amazing Vegan Food

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2012

I think I might just have found my new favourite restaurant in Berlin (just toppling Cookies Cream off the top spot). We went to Lucky Leek last night for the first time. They had a 4-course-plus-aperitif Valentine's Menu on offer for €32 which lots of other diners had chosen (and it looked great!), however we opted for the standard menu and we weren't disappointed.

To start I had a clear lemongrass soup, containing some delicious vegetables and ginger/herb dumplings, and accompanied by vegetable tempura on a stick. The soup was absolutely delicious and the perfect way to start the meal. My partners had the zuccini/courgette "cannelloni" which was also very good - stuffed with a smoky tasting bean puree. his entree came with a large salad and was a good size for a first course.

The mains were spectacular. I had a black lime and coconut risotto (tasted mostly of coconut and the rice had a bit too much 'bite' for my taste) but was really very nice and the little additions that accompanied it really made the meal. These were marinated honeydew melon balls, pak choi and cucumber in a sweet marinade and teriyaki tofu (SO delicious!). My partners Seitan Pfefferklopse also went down well.

Dessert was my favourite part of the meal - a "black and white" chocolate tarte with a raspberry sauce and a mango ice-cream. Delicious.

It was a truly lovely dining experience. The restaurant itself is small but cosy and the waiters were very efficient and very pleasant and spoke great English if you needed it. I'd recommend booking on busy/weekend nights as some people before us were turned away.

The portion sizes I felt were absolutely fine. It's not the cheapest restaurant in Berlin (mains are around €10-€12) but for the quality it cannot be beaten in my opinion. And it's certainly got to be cheaper than its equivalent in somewhere like London.

I will definitely be back, and soon!

Pros: superb high quality, innovate vegan food, friendly, cosy
Cons: really, none
nowa
nowa

i'm so lucky!

5 Posted on 11 / 15 / 2011

i had a limited time and place in my stomach in berlin, but the experience i had in Lucky Leek had me running back for another great meal!
the dishes are creative, extremely beautiful and so so so tasty. i especaily recommand these two dishes: Saltimbocca from tomato with roasted cauliflower and pumpkin gnocchi, and the Rosotto carnaroli with sage, white and black beans, red onions and herbed tempeh.
after eating the risotto i fell in love with sage.
if you're a chockolate person you should definitely try the chockolate mouse. i have to note that i was very disappointed of all the sweets in berlin, but Lucky Leek was the light at the end of my tunnel. the mouse was excellent, but even more outstanding was the Vanilla Tart.

there's an english manu, and the staff will kindly anser all your questions. and believe me- the man who served me had a lot of patience.

you should order a table before you go there, cause it's a bit small, few tables, so to promise this great experience plan ahead.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, very creative
Cons: small place
hxcla_ta_life
hxcla_ta_life

A nice evening

3 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2011

I ve been there on the first week after the opening and i really appreciate the tasty and fine food .
We had a soup ,a tempeh plate and a dessert .
Everything was well prepared and perfectly presented .
Excellent food in a nice and cute place .
Only negativ point would be that it s a bit too expensive .

Pros: big choice , quality food , no junk food
Cons: price
  • nicnok nicnok

I'm not sure how you can call this place expensive. For the quality of food, this place is ridiculously cheap. In fact, if the quality of the food was half as good, it would still be cheap. €12,50 for a main meal is not expensive. Anywhere. Unless you like eating McDonalds. For 5 star quality food, it is an absolute steal. To give this 3 stars because you are tighter than a fishes asshole, is pretty shameful.

KickassMagnolia
KickassMagnolia

Hear the heavens bells ring

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2011

This is like the best resturant.. Or wait!
Like the best food I have ever eaten! (includes the time when i was not a vegan)
We came at the evening, romantic candles and a very cosy feeling inside.
The place wall full of people so we waited a while to get a seat.
The menu was full of delicious dishes but i ordered the seitan roll with herbs, redwinesause, rattatouile and fried potatos. MMMMMMMM!!! Seriously.
Tasted like nothing i have ever tasted before! SO GOOD! my taste buds died of happiness.
For dessert we had lemoncake with flambeé pinapple, coconut icecream and some fresh berries.
I will never forget, and my friend who i brought with me have been a vegan ever since!

10 happy cows!!

Pros: Delicious food, Nice staff, Very good place to take non vegans!
Cons: You may be in time to accommodate
Raydoggy
Raydoggy

Lucky to find Lucky Leek - Make It A Must Visit

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2011

I've been to Lucky Leek 20 times since it opened 6 months ago, and I'm still astonished at the quality of the meals there. It's a small intimate restaurant and yet it's always been packed, even since I first started eating there, so they are certainly doing something right. My girlfriend and I both agree that Lucky Leek has the best food we've ever eaten. The chef excels herself every week, with imaginative, well balanced and beautifully presented food that is almost an art piece. Whatever you do, do not miss this place, it really is a gem. Even if you are on a budget, skip lunch and spend a little more for exquisite food that will make you rethink what vegan food can be, with friendly service as well. A vegan paradise.

Pros: Friendly, Tasty, Fine dining
Cons: Not Open Mondays
Sanna
Sanna

luxury

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2011

amazing food four course high class vegan food.

Pros: amazing food
Cons: small place
Emea
Emea

Excellent restaurant!

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

I was in Berlin a couple of weeks ago, and visitet Lucky Leek two times: once for lunch and another time for brunch.
Both times the food was absolutely delicious and the atmosphere warm and casual.
My Dad didn't like the brunch as much as I did, since he'd expected something like English breakfast, and the buffet contained mostly different kinds of tapas.
Anyhow, I ate myself almost sick because there were so many dishes I had to try and it was impossible to take just a little piece of each! ;)
To sum up, one of the best restaurants I've ever visitet.

Pros: tasty food, friendly english-speaking staf, nice atmosphere
Cons: too far from my home!
Jan Hicks
Jan Hicks

Cordon Bleu Vegan Food

5 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

My husband and I visited Lucky Leek on our recent visit to Berlin and were blown away by the quality of the food. It's very rare that we go to a restaurant and are spoiled for choice on the menu. We turned up on spec on a balmy August evening and sat outside in the sunshine. The staff were friendly and laid back, and seemed to enjoy our enjoyment of their food! I had smoked tofu on a bed of horseradish sauce between two shards of filo pastry, accompanied by beluga lentils and a pumpkin sour cream sauce. It was a work of art and the most delicious meal I've ever eaten. My husband had the leek and pineapple risotto, which was perfectly cooked, with just enough bite. For dessert, I had a berry tart with avocado-lime ice cream and my husband had a chocolate concoction. We were both very full after these courses and thought that the bill for our meal was very reasonable, given the high quality of the food. We'd spent a similar amount on a meal in an Italian restaurant on the Gendarmenmarkt, and the food wasn't as good quality as the meal we had at Lucky Leek. It felt like a proper night out, and I wish we had something similar nearby at home. Well worth a visit.

Pros: Gourmet food, Friendly staff, Good location
Cons: Only one toilet!
aclasse
aclasse

Imaginative food made with care

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2011

I was impressed with my food - first an excellent coconut and lemon-grass soup and then lasagne with girolles (my only opportunity to have girolles during this visit to Germany although there were plenty to be had in omnivorous places!). The lasagne also featured lemon grass making it a bit like the soup but that was probably my fault for not reading the menu properly! It is a proper restaurant, unlike the other vegan places we went to this visit which were more cafes. Service was polite and efficient. We turned up on spec on a Saturday night and got in OK though another time I would probably phone and book.

Pros: A proper restaurant, not just a cafe, Well presented and tasty vegan food, Uses seasonal ingredients
JoyS
JoyS

Nice small place

4 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2011

This place is very small and so are the portions. A main course costs 10€ or more and leaves you hungry. Service is very slow. Having said that, food is excellent, incredible new tastes worth checking out. The dessert I tried was the best dessert ever, vegans beware though, the dessert had an Oreo cookie which in Europe contains whey powder.

Pros: Excellent food, More excellent food :), Awesome desserts
Cons: Dessert questionably vegan, Small portions, expensive, Slow service
  • Lucky Leek Lucky Leek

Dear JoyS,

thanks for visiting our small restaurant.
    Our team was a little shocked when we read about your warning about the oreo we used as a little gimmick on one of our desserts.
    We used imported oreos (from indonesia) which don't contain any whey powder!
    You could have asked me (I am the slow service ;) and I would have told you.
    We ourselves are vegan and of course always read all the ingredients on the products we use.

one small word to the size of the portions;
    a lot of people like to have 3 or 4 courses and they sometimes find our dishes too big.
    So it is always a personal perception, we feel the portions are perfectly sized to have the most joy without having too much of one dish's taste and get bored.

Everything we serve is 100% vegan, as is our team!

We would love to welcome you again sometime!

All the best

Your Lucky Leek team

• JoyS JoyS

It's awesome that you actually import Oreo cookies from Indonesia. My apologies for fearing european Oreos with whey powder, you really took care of every little detail to provide a 100% vegan experience.
    I hadn't asked because I only found out about european Oreos not being vegan a few days later while reading the label in a supermarket, before that I had assumed they were vegan everywhere.

I stand by my personal perception of serving sizes - as you said, it's personal.

deferica
deferica

Excellent vegan food in Perlzberg

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

Food was outstanding, one of the best I ever tried. First-class. Staff was nice and friendly. The place is small but warm. Prices are reasonable.

Pros: Food quality , Money, Commitment
kibber2004
kibber2004

Amazing Sunday brunch

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2011

The Sunday brunch was spectacularly tasty. All a vegan could wish for, with a good variation of raw vegetables, fried potatoes, seitan, soy-based etc. Definitely recommended and will surely go back. Moreover, all for a mere 9 euros and fifty cents.

Pros: Food, Price
Eloi
Eloi

Amazing

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2011

My husband and I spent the most evening in this small restaurant. I wasn't expecting anything spectacular as I had never heard of it before - I'm in Berlin a number of times each year visiting family. For a Saturday the place was suprisingly empty and we almost went for a different place as we made a rule a while ago never to eat in empty restaurants.

Boy, am I glad that we stayed. The place has a good vibe to it, the waiter was really nice ... and the food was so amazing it is difficult the describe. It was even hard to select anything from the menue as everything sounded so great.

The only thing I am seriously mad about is that only when ordering the dessert the waiter told me about the specials menue which for some reason was missing on our table. On this menue they had the vegan version of my favorite dish from my meat eating days - königsberger seitanklopse. I just hope they will have them again next time I am around (so far i couldnt even find a recipe for that anywhere)

Pros: food to good to be true, good atmosphere, nice staff
celeste
celeste

Amazing vegan food!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2011

My husband and I were just in Berlin and,on our final day,we ended up at Lucky Leeks. Boy were we glad to finally get to have a meal reminiscent of the vegan meals I would get when I lived in New York City at places like Counter and Candle 79. It is gourmet vegan cuisine at it's finest. The menu is a bit more limited and put me off on the idea of eating there,but only for a moment. We had walked good ways and it was getting a little late,so we decided to eat there. The best decision we could have made. We didn't get any soup or appetizers only because of the prices and we had spent so much the whole week already. We did get two entrées-one was a seitan dish with a potaoe au gratin,and lots of vegetables,which was amazing and perfect. We also got a dish that consisted of an elegantly stuffed eggplant rolls (they had a fancier name,but I forget what it was),stuffed with pecans puree and spices which was incredible,and this was with a side of baked polenta and a soy "cheese" on it. Every single bite was a incredible.
For dessert,we ordered the chocolate tart with a mocha mousse. The tart was more of a cake than what i think of as a chocolate tart,which are usually heavier and denser. This was with some berries and a chocolate sauce. Heaven!! We also got the vanilla mousse,which was excellent,but did pale next to the chocolate and mocha mousse,only because the chocolate was so rich and heavenly.
I hope that everyone who is veg and visits (or lives) in Berlin will eat at this restaurant and have the great experience my husband and I had. I want this place to stay open so we can go back when we're next in Berlin. Really,this place is worth the walk from the train and the higher prices for the meal. Also,the service was great and really friendly and the place,itself,was beautiful. And all of this is coming from a spoiled ex-New York vegan.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Good atmosphere
Cons: A tiny bit pricier
Take It Back
Take It Back

Nice outside seating

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2011

Lucky Leek's chef used to be the chef at La Mano Verde. I was always a big fan of her cooking style. Her first own restaurant turned out great too!

Pros: great chef, nice outside seating, interesting menu
elcarottoo
elcarottoo

after years of meat i was glad to meet the meatles

5 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

I've been to lucky leek my first time and must say it is worth a visit!
it's a really small, but lovely place with incredibly nice staff!

first of all i'll start with the food:

i had a soup and and a main, was totally filled and totally lucky!! :)
my friend had a main and desert and she was amazed, she is no vegetarian but by the look and taste of the "mousse from white chocolate with strawberries and rhubarb" she ordered another desert. :)

the wine:

we had half a litre of the "dry riesling" (white wine from the rheingau) and as a wine lover i must say it perfectly fit to the whole menu!
dry, yet fruity! just perfect!

the place:
located in the heart of berlin very close to "alexanderplatz"
it is small, and i mean it is small, about 20 seats inside, and another 30 outside. i guess thats what makes it different, you are in an exceptionell restaurant with incredible cuisine! so let's get to it:

the verdict:

i will always come back, as often as i can!
the service is still finding itself but the whole treating and feeling is awesome, i believe in the team, the idea and will always come back!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the nice evening and i hope you'll make it!

Pros: food, feeling, price
soybeanbag
soybeanbag

motto brunch

5 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

I've visited the lucky leek brunch twice and everytime i was totally amazed! i really like the idea of a `theme-brunch` cause its always a little surprise and you never get bored! first time i enjoyed it the was obviously asian-stuff which was really authentic. thai-curry, seitan and black beans, sweat and sour "meat" balls, vegan sushi and some yummy sweets. delicious!! the italian brunch last sunday was as awesome as the asian one! i`ll be back!!!

Pros: great food, lovely staff, location
IdanHaVegana
IdanHaVegana

Fair enough

3 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2011

I have visited Lucky Leek on Sunday, which is when their main offering is a branch for 9.5 euros.

There wasn't too much of a selection. Three main dishes, one with fried tofu, one with seitan, and one with vegtables only, but otherwise tasted the same.

There were also three types of rice, which differed mainly on their color and slightly on taste.

Other than that they was one type of salat, two kind of sauce(which were remarkably good actually) and brownies for desert, which were just ok.

It was a rather good meal, but not so fulfilling on a culinary prospective. It is possible their non-branch menu is somewhat more fancy, but that shall be decided on another day!

• nicnok nicnok

Wasn't too much of a selection?? Were you dining on the crumbs on the floor? We go nearly every brunch, every week it is a different style of food from a different area of the world. I would say there is no less than 20 different plates from salads, to dips, to pasta, to protein to sweets. Very interesting review.

Chiechi
Chiechi

still finding their legs, but great food

4 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2011

The entire staff apparently comprises two people, including the cook, but it's a small place. Service was slow and a bit chaotic, but fine if you're not in a big hurry. The food is terrific, with a small fixed menu and two daily (?) specials. They offer a nice variety of gourmet-feeling vegan food that isn't too salty and doesn't rely on a lot of processed vegan substitutes for non-vegan ingredients. Prices were fair for the quality of the food: around €15 per person.

Pros: great food, friendly people, doesn't rely on processed vegan substitutes, cosy indoor and outdoor seating
Cons: slow, a bit disorganized
pavese91
pavese91

very high quality food!

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2011

The restaurant is rather small, has some outdoor-seating on Kollwitzstraße and features some of the best vegetarian/vegan food in town.
The soups we had were delicious, the main dishes are truly not your run-off-the-mill veggie lasagna, but very imaginative dishes that are absolutely yummy. The preparation takes some time, but everything is fresh and shows the amount of time spent in preparing them both in taste and appearance.
The restaurant is a small basement that is rather bland compared to the extravagant food, but with small design details that make up for the somewhat uncomfortable seating. Service is fine and very friendly. A few minor details gave away that the lucky leek was recently opened and some organisational aspects still have room for improvement. But these are minor quirks, all in all a top-notch place.

Pros: high quality food, well worth the price, cosy atmosphere
boover
boover

Wonderful place

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2011

We were very pleasantly surprised by the great food, the nice place and the absolutely wonderful stuff!!! these are people that try to make a dream come true and create a vegan restaurant with innovative high end quality food. Well priced dishes (i actually find them rather cheap for the quality of produce and the work involved) fun to try new combinations of flavours, and a pleasure to be attended by real friendly people that are able to transmit the love they have for their work. You feel that the creation of each dish has been carefully thought about and that someone wants to create new, innovative dishes with love for all the detail. A place where you can take non-vegan friends and be sure they will love the food without thinking "its ok for being vegan" - they will just think that this is great food and will completely forget to complain about the lack of meat or dairy in it. They have tables outside in summer, and as a tourist to Berlin its a lively and fun neighborhood to visit. I really wish them good luck for this great restaurant!!!

Pros: great food, great value, very friendly stuff
wildfang
wildfang

Haute cuisine for real gourmets

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

Absolutely fantastic! The Lucky Leek is a very small restaurant with very attentive staff and truly amazing food without meat subsitutes. Really creative dishes you won't find anywhere else in Berlin. For the quality you get you still pay an affordable amount of money. Don't miss out on this one!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff
Cons: small
OandG
OandG

A tiny and lovely vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2011

one word for our dinner experience is a big : YUMMM ! this place is proof that one can make delicious, well presented dishes only with veggies ! thanks to the cook and nice staff.
"Wir wünschen dem Team ein großer Erfolg"

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, cosy ambiance

Dear Owner and Manager of Lucky Leek:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Berlin page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/08/06