Lucky Creation Vegetarian

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Menu is all vegan and features a range of simple, very inexpensive Cantonese-style Chinese dishes. From the street, look for restaurant sign in green letters. Tiny, basic space. Has a glass case displaying some faux meats, steamed buns, and Chinese pastry cakes for takeaway. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by juliotnunes
solarkismet
solarkismet

Authentic Chinese

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

We popped in here for lunch and enjoyed our 3 dishes for the most part. It's a small, locally owned all-vegetarian Chinese place...nice to have that as an option in the sea of Chinatown restaurants. It's not fancy but it's good.

Pros: good food, all-veg
Cons: could use a little extra cleaning
sfojeff
sfojeff

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this place!

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

Yes, it's a hole in the wall, but it's a CLEAN hole in the wall! The food is wonderful! The Lucky Creation Chow Mein is my absolute favorite--full of mushrooms, veggies, and a wonderful sauce. I order it with tofu (an extra $1.00 or $2.00--depends on how they're feeling that day....) to really round it out.

The wait staff are absolutely lovely ladies, very sweet and friendly. And you know what? Buddhist monks and nuns eat here -- THAT tells you something!

Go! You'll love it!
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 11, 2014

Pros: Great Tasting Food at a Cheap Price, Portion Size (YUM!), Wait Staff
Cons: Not a de lux venue -- but who cares?
Eric_
Eric_

Basic

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

Simple, cheap, and nice - but nothing like vegetarian restaurants in China.

Pros: Price
AnnetteDawson-Miller
AnnetteDawson-Miller

Good Cheap Vegan Eats!

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

Good vegan Chinese food. Tasty fresh produce! Eat on a budget!

Pros: Affordable. , Tasty!, In Beautiful China Town District.
Cons: Small A$$ Bathroom.
Veganessss in SF
Veganessss in SF

Best vegan Chinese food. Anywhere.

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

Lucky Creation has been my favorite restaurant for almost 20 years! Favorite dishes: wheat gluten puff combination, veggie sausage (from the case), seaweed rolls (from the case), pot stickers, won ton soup, mixed vegetables in golden nest, gluten puff with curry sauce chow mein, meatless lemon chicken. Be prepared to walk through the kitchen to get to the bathroom.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 25, 2013

Pros: Delicious vegan food
crewumiami
crewumiami

Chinese in China Town

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2013

From the reviews, I was a bit skeptical, but I happened to be checking out China Town while on vacation and it was time for lunch. As others have stated, it is located on the side street off the Main Street. Inside, it is small, and at the counter, there is an assortment of faux meats cooked you can get by weight. The menu was pretty good, and dishes could be shared. the pot stickers where a bit greasy, but soooo good. Fried rice dish really was really good. also had the chow mien....not really sure what was in it but it was good. overall, I would go back especially for the price. the staff was nice!

Pros: price, taste, location
Cons: cash only
Elsinore13
Elsinore13

Disappointment

2 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2011

I went here in May 2011 and Lucky Creation is one of the most disappointing restaurants I went to.One man's dirty is another man's quaint, but this joint was just outright shabby. Our appetizer which was supposed to be warm was ice cold and only reheated in the microwave when I mentioned it. The rest of the food was not worth the money. My boyfriend(who is non veg)didn't complain, but I felt so bad making him have such a bad meal. Maybe this place changed over the years, based on previous reviews, but I would not recommend this place at all.

xsoymilkandgunx
xsoymilkandgunx

Tolorable food, gross environment.

2 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2011

So, to be fair, it has been years since I've eaten here. The consensus seems unwaivering, however. Mediocre food in an unhygienic setting. Only go to if it's the only option. Which, in vegan friendly SF, is clearly never the case.

Pros: veggie, hopefully.
Cons: dirty, not good, probably use VegFarm, not vegan mock meats.
sfek
sfek

mushrooms are the highlight.

3 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

This is a hole-in-the-wall, but as long as you don't have other expectations its fine. I ordered the "deluxe vegetables" which were fantastic! There were like 6 or more types of mushrooms. I also ordered the fried bean sheets with lemon sauce as recommended by another review. It was flavourless and dripping with sauce, I barely touched it and left what remained.
I would highly recommend the vegetable/mushroom dishes.

Pros: mushrooms, quick service
Cons: small location, deep fried food
Kumquat
Kumquat

Hit the spot

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2010

My daughter and I loved this place. Our food was excellent, which is really all that matters to us. The service left a little to be desired, but they were trying to serve quite a crowd of people. It's a very small place, but people were packed in and I kept thinking we were all going to burst out like wearing jeans two sizes too small. When we first arrived there was quite a line and I spent a good time waiting in it before realizing they were all actually just headed to the counter for to-go items. To be seated you basically just need to barge in. Cash only. If having strangers really close bothers you get something to go (and in full disclosure I ate there on Chinese New Year so it may not always be that busy).

Pros: Tasty, All vegan, Cheap
Cons: Crowded, Cash only, Small
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Greasy Chinese in Chinatown

3 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2010

This is the greasy fast-foody Chinese that you crave. Er, if you crave that sort of thing. I've eaten at this place quite a few times, and while I've never been floored by the food it is really good. They do gluten very good. I also really like the fried taro appetizer. The downside is it is an unclean little greasy spoon. If you need to use the restroom you'll have to walk through the kitchen, and it is not at all an appetizing experience. My girlfriend even saw a dead fish in there once!

Pros: Good greasy Chinese, Gluten puffs, taro, Cheap
Cons: Not the greatest service, Kinda gross kitchen, kinda REALLY gross, Kitchen used to prepare meat for staff
AshleyxMichelle
AshleyxMichelle

Good food, not nice to look at.

4 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2010

Lucky Creation has really good food. I had a mixed vegetable dish. It was mostly a bunch of different types mushrooms. It was really good though. The prices were cheap too. They have a lunch special as well. It was run down and not that clean though.

Pros: good food, cheap, good portions
Cons: run down, dirty
Delve
Delve

Addiction

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2009

Whenever I visit San Francisco I go here every single day. Now - I'm not exaggerating...it's absolutely true. I am addicted to the Bean Sheets with Lemon Sauce. A few years back I used to try the other dishes...the mushroom ones always made me happy, but the rest never really did "it" for me...as I'm not a big mock meat fan. BUT now that I've had the bean sheets I barely order anything else. I think if you have a chance to visit Chinatown you should definitely try this neat little place out. It is small, and you have to look up for the Green Sign with it's name on it..otherwise you're likely to pass right by it.
It is a bit dingy and 'hole in the wall-ish' but well worth at least one try.

Pros: vegan, good prices, unique
Cons: a bit dingy, small/may be hard, to get a table when busy
bennyinsf
bennyinsf

Great food, Hole in the Wall

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2008

The potstickers are fantastic. My advice is to stick with the vegetable dishes. I'm not a big fan of fake meat dishes. The mushroom dishes are fantastic. The curry noodles and vegetables also fantastic. The vegetables in bird's nest (fried noodles shaped like a nest) is fantastic. This truly is a hole in the wall. The front counter is scary looking, but the service is friendly, and the food is great.

Pros: Food, Prices, Services
Cons: Dingy, Dingy, Dingy
kennyp353
kennyp353

Disgusting hygiene, rancid food

2 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2008

So I'm going directly from the best veggie Chinese I've ever had (in Quebec City) to the worst - this one.

I walked in to the dirtiest restaurant I have ever seen. There was so much dirt on the floor - dirt from a day's tables but also dirt like hair and other revolting miscellany. The serving counter grille had ground-in grime the like of which I would have expected the authorities to close down years ago. As we sat eating, a kitchen staffmember wheeled a huge trash bin right through the dining area, brushing its exterior encrusted with filth against guests' clothes - I have never seen anything so unhygenic.

I had chicken with chilli sauce, someone already remarked about the unpleasantness of the Worthington fake meat, others remarked about the blandness of the sauces - I second both, it's as if the chef just heated up some revolting Unilever emulsion since he had no imagination to add any flavours of his own. It had a rancid aftertaste, which was at least more taste than it had in the first place. The table next to me barely touched their food yet the staff just took their money without asking what was wrong. Charging for rice was cheeky, too.

I called ahead to check on their closing time - they said 9.30, yet at 9.11 they put up the closed sign and locked the door. Worth knowing if you're crazy enough to want to go here.

Pros: your only option in Chinatown
Cons: filthy dirty, not cheap, filthy dirty again
amberk13
amberk13

Definitely different

3 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2008

Went on a Tuesday evening (7/22) and a small line had formed inside. A friendly local young woman gave me a heads up on what to order and what to avoid and I was so excited as well as hungry. The place is small, but run efficiently. They have specials on the table as well as their regular menu. We ordered the potstickers and stuffed bean cake as our appetizers. The potstickers were good, the bean cake just strange. For our entrees, we had the chicken with vegetables (spicy) off the specials menu along with the vegetables with shrimp balls (spicy), also off the specials menu and the taro fish. The taro fish was the best -- crispy on the outside, shaped like a fish and yummy. The specials I am sorry to say were not so good. The chicken was cubed fake meat a la Worthington canned fake meat. It had a strange taste and the veggies were fresh, but could not compensate for the taste. The shrimp balls dish was just awful -- the sauce was gloppy and tasteless and no amount of sambal could fix it. The service was fast and efficient and I only wish the food had tasted better.

Pros: Location was easy to find, Affordable, One of a few vegetarian places in SF
Cons: Food was not so good, Fake meat shouldn't taste like meat
condekedar
condekedar

Great food, service, location

4 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2008

This is a quaint, small restaurant run by a few women. The service was consistently friendly and the menu is large with a number of mockmeat and vegan Chinese dishes. They even have unusual mockmeats like mock-goose.

I loved my diced chicken curry, which was light, fresh and filling. Their mock chicken looks like tofu, but the taste and texture is actually quite close to real chicken, which might be a plus or minus point depending on your point of view. I was not so impressed with the vegetable deluxe stir fry, which was a variety of different mushrooms (including unusual white fungus), with a couple of vegetables, in a watery soy sauce. It lacked zing. On a whole, though, I think their food was excellent. Prices are extremely low (under $7-8 for most dishes), but you have to pay $0.70 for each small cup of rice, so it adds up to much more. I was disappointed that they didn't have brown rice. Still, this is a nice joint to get a simple, fresh, tasty vegan Chinese meal.

Pros: Prices, Location, Tasty food
Cons: Charges for rice, No brown rice
isabeldivine
isabeldivine

Yummy

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2008

The food was fabulous. At first we were a little scared of the hole in the wall atmosphere but once we realized the tantilizing smell in the air was coming from the fresh roasted candied walnuts cooling on the table next to us our bellies began to rumble. It is a definate must see next time you are in SanFrancisco's China Town.

Pros: Excellent Food, Easy to Find, Friendly Staff
Cons: Small, Scary Bathroom
craigmc
craigmc

great

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2007

very much a hole in the wall cafe. Very small, with two lovely ladies in charge.
great hot and sour soup and the price are a bargain. you guys in the usa, don't realise how great you have it. the only downside was the rice could ahve been steamed rather than boiled.a bit harsh i know!!!!

Pros: great staff, great price
Cons: boild rice!!!
Guest
Guest

i LOVE this place

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2007

we eat here daily when we visit san francisco... i have dreams about the chicken-less fried rice. it is amazing! the best vegan fried rice i've ever had. what every town needs is it's own lucky creation. :)

Pros: amazing food, affordable prices, large portions
Cons: small seating area
ChristinaZ
ChristinaZ

Such a dive and I love it

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2007

I go here whenever I get to San Fran. A total dive, avoid the bathroom if you can. Food is great and reasonably priced. I love the service and always look forward to going there when I am in the Bay Area! I love the sweet and sour pork the best!

Pros: good food, good price, good service
Cons: frightening bathroom
juliotnunes
juliotnunes

Lucky Creation

4 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2006

Nice small tasty restaurant. Food was very good and the service was very promt. Number 26 meatless chicken with churry sauce and number 40 braised bean cake with assorted vegetables with churry sauce. Would diffiantly go back again.

Pros: Promt, Affortable

Dear Owner and Manager of Lucky Creation Vegetarian: