Loving Hut - Westfield Mall...

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and vegan desserts. Menu includes various appetizers, noodle dishes, salads, sandwiches, and buffet combo specials. It's downstairs in the mall food court. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, American, Asian, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by SynthVegan
Vegger123
Vegger123

Really Good!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

I had my food and also wanted what everyone else had. The vegetables were cooked perfectly and the food comes out fast. The non vegans we were with loved it as well.

Pros: great food
Cons: very busy area, hard to find a seat
suehayes1122
suehayes1122

Great Food

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2014

I loved visiting Loving Hut.
Went to San Fran on vacation and ate their twice.
Mall was nice too.
Was so excited to have a vegan flan! Its been years since I had flan.

Eric_
Eric_

Disappointing

3 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

Used to LH in other countries, this SF location had very few choices. In the end, I just had a smoothie (yummy), tasted my friend's noodle dish (yummy) and myself had a veggie burger from the "meat place" just opposite - it was fantastic.

Pros: Convenience
Cons: Lack of choices
raphanos
raphanos

Loved the Queen Sandwich

4 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2013

My first mall food court Loving Hut experience. I ordered the Queen Sandwich to go and it was great. I would most definitely go back. The menu is limited since it isn't a real full sized Loving Hut but considering that it could have been a Panda Express or something, I am very happy with it.

Pros: Nice that a mall has a vegan restaurant
Cons: You have to go into a mall to eat here
AnnetteDawson-Miller
AnnetteDawson-Miller

Good Lunch Food

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2013

Good fast vegan food. Def recommended. But the mall location is no fun. Go to the one in China Town.

Pros: Great Food
Cons: Mall Location = Much Noise
AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Fast and easy in an upscale mall food court

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

Yes, it's in a food court -- but this is a nice food court. You get glasses made of glass for water and real metal silverware to eat with. You can almost always find a comfortable place to sit down and employees bus tables and keep things clean. There are 10-15 different food places and a compact grocery store, so if you go with friends not into Loving Hut there's plenty of choice.

It's in the basement of the Westfield mall, where there are actually two food courts -- make sure you go to the Bloomingdale's end of the mall (not the Nordstrom end) to find the right one. In fact, the easiest way to get to the Loving Hut from outside is to go in the Bloomingdale's entrance on Mission Street, go down the stairs and walk out toward the mall. As you emerge, wa-la, tasty vegan food sits before you.

Well, you do actually have to order first. Like all Loving Huts the food is 100% vegan, Chinese influenced with a good variety. You can choose a combo plate with 2 items (I recommend basil mushroom and sweet potato curry) along with white rice, brown rice, chow mein noodles or fried rice. Pro tip: you can also substitute rice with their steamed kale if you want to be super healthy. Or, order a dish made on the spot; the garden vermicelli is a fresh noodle soup that comes with 2 fried rolls. Basically all of the dishes are the same price, $9. They have a few fun desserts and drinks too.

They have a stamp card so if you go here a lot be sure to get one.

Pros: Fast and friendly, Tasty, Pretty healthy
Cons: Not a romantic setting
DaniM
DaniM

Great

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

Very good that this small sit-in restaurant is located absolutely in the centre of a shopping district. They don't offer that much meals like they do in their other branches but anyway very delicious!

bianchina
bianchina

Not bad, handy location

3 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

Great to see this vegan place in such a busy spot, I'm sure many animals are spared when non-vegans eat here by accident or out of convenience. That said, I only tried buffet items, and I wish I could say they were amazing but it was a little so-so. It just seemed a bit gloopy and like the flavours of the 3 different items I selected were not very distinct. Seems like some of the sandwiches are a better option. It was pretty good, with lots of vegies, just a bit oily and flavours didn't really pop.

Pros: Handy location, fast food, All vegan, lots of vegies
Cons: a bit oily and lacking zing, meat eating at nearby tables
Eviecus
Eviecus

Nice food

3 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

The food here was pretty good. Out of convenience my husband and I ate here twice in our 3 day stay. The first day we both had a bread roll with some fake meats and veggies, they were pretty good. The second day I had some sweet and sour veggies with tofu and rice. My hubbie had fried rice and eggplant with tofu. The food was pretty good but nothing amazing.

Pros: location, friendly staff
Cons: not much change in menu daily
GlobalVeganist
GlobalVeganist

Wow, vegan delights in a mall!!!

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that this place was just opposite my hotel, jippie!!! I LOVE Loving Hut and this place makes no exception. I got the fried rice, noodles, egg plant and sweet potato curry for under 10 dollars! The taste was amazing, the food fresh, the only downside was the amount of oil (maybe because the eggplants were fried), but still great food!
Oh and I tried the mocha (nice!) and cheese cake, and the cheese cake was simply one of the best vegan cakes I had the pleasure of trying. As for drinks, I tried the limonade (hm, not my cup of tea as they say) and the thai tea, which I LOVED. What can I say, I will be back... and back... and back again!

Cons: Mall can be crowded
khalidasweila
khalidasweila

great little option for a mall in America

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2013

a really nice surprise in an otherwise unremarkable American shopping mall. was slightly disappointed to see them pour krasdale orange juice in their kale smoothie, but hey at least they had kale!

Pros: in a mall, good balanced vegan options
Cons: questionable ingredients in smoothie
greenhexi
greenhexi

Location

4 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2012

A vegan place in a food court... how good can it get?! Nice food and nice food, service quick and sufficient tables.

teafour2
teafour2

Great to find a vegan restaurant at the mall

4 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2012

I went here twice during my week in SF. The first time we had been shopping, but had completely forgotten Loving Hut was in the mall, and were happily surprised to find it. We went back the second time as we wanted to try other things on the menu.

I'm from the UK and finding an all vegan restaurant on the food court of a major mall is a great novelty to me. We'd been to the one in Paris and (as others have remarked) all seem to have a slightly different menu. The sandwiches are massive and very tasty with saitan and lots of veg and sauce. The second time, I had the 'buffet' trays, chow mein and potato curry. Both times we had cakes, lovely pumpkin 'cheesecake' and an oreo cake. While this was all very very good, the stand out thing for me was the avocado smoothie, clean, creamy, subtly flavoured, it was heavenly. The prices were decent, 2 sandwiches, 2 cakes, 2 drinks for around $30.

Pros: all vegan, big portions, good price
vegan frog
vegan frog

Great mall food option

4 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2012

Obviously fast food, greasy and from a cardboard plate, but really delicious and of course all vegan, so nothing to complain about...

HannesRR
HannesRR

Excellent place

5 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2012

A lot of food to choose from, fast service and good prices.

I had the bbq sandwich and rice withe chicken soja and red curry. All yummi.

veganamanda
veganamanda

vegan fast food

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2012

I was staying in Union Square and happy that there was a mall with a vegan fast food joint across the street! I've been to LH in New York and this one was different and I think better. There is a smaller menu, but the two items I tried - The Loving Hut Sandwich and the Grilled Philly Sandwich were great on-the-go meals. There was about a 5 minute wait for the food. The sandwich was big and filling and it came with some orange slices and coleslaw. They also sell stirfrys, desserts, and salads.

Pros: quick, in the mall, yummy
EdGauci
EdGauci

I'm quickly becoming a fan of this place

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

I've been to Loving Huts in San Jose and Milpitas (close to home) and I like those a lot too. This one is in a busy mall food court and reasonably close to my workplace.

All Loving Huts seem to be a bit different from each other. This one offers a two-item buffet-style Asian food lunch in addition to some sandwiches. Think of it as a smaller Panda Express, but vegan. I usually get the brown rice, a mushroom choice (love mushrooms) and something else. Very filling.

It's quick. The servers always very sweetly warn you if you pick one of the spicy items. If you order something other than the buffet items then you get a pager and have to wait a bit.

Pros: Fast, Tasty, Friendly stff
Cons: Can be crowded
kimward8
kimward8

Great Food and Location

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

It is a great place to go when travelling with a non-vegan as they can eat elsewhere in the food court of the mall, and it is right near the station for the tourist cable cars. I had their mocha cake, which was the best cake I've had in a while. Also I had chow mein with sweet and sour fake chicken and garlic broccoli and veggies. It was all good, but as I'm not a huge fan of chinese food in general the cake was the best part. The caramel flan was not as good, it was just silken tofu which didn't really taste that much like caramel.

Tatiana
Tatiana
  • herbivore

Hit the spot!

4 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2011

After a crazy down in downtown San Francisco, to walk into the food court and find Loving Hut was a blessing! I got a papaya salad and Thai iced tea, and it was so refreshing and light but satisfying. The menu had a lot of variety and the items on the steam table also looks delicious and fresh. Service was quick and everything was clean. I'll definitely stop back by next time I'm in the area.

Pros: Good price, Friendly staff
Seitan_Nic
Seitan_Nic

Food Court Vegan

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2011

If you've eaten at any Loving Hut you know what to expect. If not it is a chain of religion motivated vegetarian restaurants that serve up a little bit of everything, but primarily Chinese fast food. Nothing spectacular, but it is good enough. And it's in the food court at the mall- pretty cool to see a vegan restaurant in this type of setting.

Pros: Food is good, Location, Cheap
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great addition to the food court!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2010

This location is situated in the food court of the popular Westfield San Francisco Shopping Centre. Normally I wouldn't be jumping up an down about food court restaurants, but I'm surely jumping up and down about this one. First thing, this is a great place to go to if your traveling with someone that is not veg*n, as there are plenty of great choices for them within the food court and there are actually good options. This food court is also connected to the BART stop at Powell, so if you just got off the subway, walk on in.

As always, the employees at Loving Hut were very nice. One thing I noticed is that they didn't have the TV's broadcasting things from their religion/beliefs - although I don't have a problem with their TV station, I often have a hard time getting some friends to go to their restaurants because of it. The location is very clean, cute, and inviting as well and there were many people ordering food from here (a very good sign). I ordered the Philly Cheese Steak and absolutely fell in love - I'm not sure if I loved it so much because I hadn't eaten for over 14 hours, but wow! The sandwich itself was very flavorful, they even had a garlic flavoring on the bread, the flavor of the sauce was very well done, and the seitan was very tasty and had a great texture. The sandwich also came with a side of cole slaw (very good) and two slices of orange. Overall, this place is great and I will surely be eating here at least one more time before I leave - this is the train stop that goes back to the airport.

• SynthVegan SynthVegan

I ate here a second time and got the Loving Hut sandwich - equally as amazing!

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Westfield Mall Food Emporium: