Loving Hut - Wan Chai

Self service, order at counter. Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Seats 108. Accepts cash or Hong Kong's local 'Octopus' payment card. MTR Wan Chai Station, Exit A3. Previously on Hennessy Road. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Chinese, Vegan, Take-out

First Review by Powerbex
mrrfrost
mrrfrost

Huge Choice Of Veggie Food

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2014

In the new location the vast menu is still in place. The lunch set menu has changed slightly so now you can choose 3 from 6 items which include tea or soup and red rice. Free warm lemon water available.
The new staff are a lot more English friendly. There is also a freezer to buy some take out fake meat products.
Reasonable prices, set lunch HK$48.

Pros: Big Menu, Fast Service, Good Value
Cons: A Bit Too Much Sauce
peas-full
peas-full

Friendly staff, amazing food, nice location

4 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2014

I live in Italy and I wish there were a Loving Hut here! The menĂ¹ is huge and most of the dishes are delicious. Everyday you can have something new. This restaurant is smaller than the other one in Amoy Plaza and it is a little more expensive, but the atmosphere is cozier. Friendly staff, amazing food, nice location: worth a visit!

Pros: delicious food, location, cheap
bluepaper
bluepaper

No fresh vegetables

3 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

What is a vegan restaurant good for if it doesn't offer fresh vegetables?
The food is okay, nothing special. Maybe except for cakes and ice cream which might be hard to find anywhere else - but I don't like sweets and mock meat too much.
In my opinion quality and price don't fit together very well.
The atmosphere reminds of a fast food restaurant, not very inviting. But the view out of the window is very nice, especially in the evening.

Pros: very easy to find
Cons: no fresh vegetables, atmosphere (bright light)
sfvoyage
sfvoyage

Dependable and tasty food!

4 Posted on 12 / 02 / 2013

I eat at Loving Hut every time I come back to HK and in fact just ate there a couple of nights ago. I agree with the previous reviewer that Loving Hut has a buzz that I had never felt before. It was really busy, and there was even free entertainment - a local lady singing English and Cantonese songs.

The menu hasn't changed since my last visit 10 months ago. Pretty extensive menu. I've always enjoyed their food. Only suggestion for improvement would be to add more fresh veggies to the set menu, which consists mostly of rice and noodle plates that are tasty but high on mock meats and veggie juliennes but low on real chunks of veggies. For that you have to look harder on the left side of the menu - the a la carte side, where you can add HK$10 to get rice and soup.

I really like their vegan cream cake. No idea how healthy it is, but they are super delicious and give me hope that I can easily transition from a vegetarian to vegan diet. (I've been vegetarian since the early 80's and would have been vegan years ago if not for my fondness for dessert!)

I like to eat at Loving Hut wherever I travel globally, as the menus are all locally-based. Not sure how good or bad their cult leader is... a concern for this devout atheist :) but hopefully I can continue eating there!
Updated from previous review on Monday December 02, 2013

Pros: tasty dependable food, reasonable food, yummy vegan dessert
Cons: affiliated with a cult
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible

• herbivore

Great Progress

4 Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

Loving Hut, Wan Chai is getting busy!

It is lovely to see the transformation.

Each time that I visit there are 40+ customers enjoying their meals there.

The staff are "buzzy" - obviously enjoying their work.

A slight shift towards more "whole" foods would make this place unbeatable.

As it is, the food is 100% vegan & very tasty.

DaniM
DaniM

That's just about the limit!

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2013

Although i am a vegetarian for 2 years now and i've tried a lot of different restaurants already, i've never been to a "Loving Hut" until yesterday. Weird, but i don't know why.
Anyway now i was there and i have to admit that i was absolutely amazing there! They have so much variety in their menu and it is very yummy.
Also the staff is very friendly and another big positive point is that they have some great facts and inspiration words hanging on their walls.

Pros: Huge variety, Nice interior, Very friendly
GlobalVeganist
GlobalVeganist

Hmmmmmm

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I gem in omnivore Hong Kong where you never quite know what you are eating. I have been to this place several times, and every time I enjoy the vast amount of dishes, drinks and desserts. Staff are always friendly, and I like the fact that you can browse their vegan library while you are having your meal. Amazing how they can make everything taste just like the real thing!

Minni
Minni

Nice set meals

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

First I walked past this but then noticed a sign on the doorway saying "Loving Hut". Climbed the stairs to the 2F and found this rather minimalistic restaurant. You can only get "set meals" on a tray as far as I could see, and that's ok. But this is not a romantic dining option if you're looking for one. ;-)

Food was tasty and the dessert tiramisu is worth a try.

Pros: all vegan, vegan tiramisu
Cons: not very cozy
marta red
marta red

friendly and good

3 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2012

I am in Honk Kong these days and this was the first place I went to explore for dinner. I had New York steaks with rice and the one with curry japanese sauce . they came with additional soup , raw salad and stewed pak choi. Everything was good,well cooked and tasty not at all oily and I felt good and not heavy after the dinner.as dessert I wanted to try their tiramisu- it was not so rich in flavour but in the end it was satisfing not very sweet and My digestion was light and easy. They have a corner where they sell vegan stuff,too!

Pros: tasteful and light food, friendly place, try dessert
Cons: basic place, order at the counter, bit uneasy to find
bhukit-tima
bhukit-tima

Re-opened!

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2012

Loving Hut Wan Chai just reopened end of July 2012 at new location. That's the downside of it a bit, as it is much more difficult to find it now(not ideal for having walk-in customers); small entrance, upstairs.
But when you're in, it's very nice. Good and affordable food options - quick service. Ample seating.
Loving Hut - Always a good choice!

htenbos
htenbos

Very nice restaurant (but closing....)

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

Very nice restaurant in Wan Chai with a great selection of food. Simple, tasty and plenty of choice.
At this moment (early May) there is a sign on the door that they will close at the end of May 2012 (lease expired).

Pros: Taste, Variety
simdel
simdel

Great value

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2011

This is such a great place. Unpretentious, cheap, tasty and very clean. The ordering is a bit of a lottery as we hadn't a clue what we recorded on the 4 times we have been here so far, but we are pleased to say that we have been very happy every time. Portions are reasonable, not big and the ambience is very casual.

Pros: cheap, tasty, a fun lottery
Deborah3000
Deborah3000

Not bad

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2011

I had lunch there twice. Fast and helpful service. The food was good enough. They had a nice cheesecake although the size was smallish. I would go back

Pros: easy to find, fast & friendly
limegreen07
limegreen07

Great Find

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

We came across this place whilst on honeymoon and found it a very affordable, friendly place to eat. The portions are sometimes a little on the small side for me but perfect for my wife. Quality is generally very good, very clean and with a nice atmosphere. The staff took great delight in the fact that we went up for several extra different cakes and enjoyed them all!

Pros: Good food, Excellent value, friendly staff
Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

Loving Hut always the best

5 Posted on 01 / 12 / 2011

I love going to Loving Hut restaurants. Each one differs slightly but the same delicious and easy-on-the-wallet prices each time. So many varieties and a really comfy place to eat at. I really like the eggless egg tarts!

Pros: Great selection of delicious foods, Spacious seating, Inexpensive
VeganBeader
VeganBeader

Passionate vegans. Very, very good indeed

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2010

Fast-food deliciously prepared.

I love this 'Loving Hut'.

I eat here at least twice a week whenever I am in Hong Kong.

The simple 'sides' such as the Burdock & Seaweeds salads are addictive & less than US$ 1 each.

gemma
gemma

Vegtastic !!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

Loving Hut in wanchai has become my new favourite place to go for a safe meal - clean, healthy, tasty and porkless!!!
the staff are super sweet, they really know what they are telling you about and suggesting!

Pros: Clean healthy food, Big Portions, Well Priced
Guest
Guest

Very convenient place

5 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2010

Fast food style, but completely vegan.

Wide variety of dishes some of which change throughout the day.

I like their Vegetable Fried Rice, it is very tasty.

Very clean & tidy.

Relaxing atmosphere, you don't ever feel rushed.

Not gourmet. Counter service. Expect to wait 10 to 15 minutes for cooked dishes.

sglcklch
sglcklch

Good for quick meal

3 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

I was in the area so I dropped by here for lunch. It's fast-foody in that most of the food is prepared: you order from the cashier, give the ticket to the kitchen, get a token from them, and wait to be called to get your food. No table service. It's one of those places where you are just looking to sit down, chow, and get refreshed, not for the service or ambiance. That said, the place is very clean and bright. OK food, convenient location. Personally I like the one at Amoy Plaza better.

Note on the rice: they serve "natural" red yeast rice "free of additives" from Taiwan and try to promote it as a health food; but apparently there have been some concerns over this stuff, and if you are skeptical too, you can ask for white rice instead, no brown rice.

Pros: location
Cons: no brown rice
chisuren
chisuren

Refreshing Change

5 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

The menu contains a lot of variety, notwithstanding the 4 or 5 daily specials, there is a good choice of snacks, noodles and rice based dishes as well as dessert options. I would imagine previous criticism regarding the presentation of the menu have been addressed because everything's described quite clearly in English.

What I particularly like about this restaurant is that it is not a clone of all the Cantonese style veggie restaurants in Hong Kong, which all have the same dishes, often with too much oil. This menu is based loosely on Taiwanese cuisine, which makes for a refreshing change of options and tastes. I also personally think that because the food is being cooked by vegetarians, more care generally goes into it and I haven't had any issues with food to date.

I almost always take out due to time constraints but there's a good amount of seating available - the restaurant is popular though, and often almost packed.

The prices are very reasonable give the good quality and presentation of the food, almost all dishes are under HK$50 and some set meals are as low as HK$36.

I've found the staff friendly and helpful - if I can't pronounce what I want in Chinese I just point at the menu and that's what I get.

If there's one criticism that I think could be fairly levelled at this restaurant, it would be the Buddhist TV that's always showing. Personally I don't mind it, but I know it puts some people off when they eat in.

I would definitely recommend this place to anyone that wants good veggie food in Wanchai.

Pros: Variety - not Cantonese Food, Cheap, Clean & good service
Cons: Minor brainwashing sideeffects
choysum
choysum

Not my cup of tea

2 Posted on 12 / 17 / 2009

Many people seem to know of this place, perhaps because it is in a high traffic area. Personally, I wish that more HK veg. restaurants were as easy to find as this one.
It was one of the first veg. restaurants I tried in HK and I did not like the style of food. I had a very hard time choosing what to eat, and the server wasn't much help as her English was minimal. You are rather left on your own and if you have little familiarity with 'Chinese style' veg food, it is hard to make an appropriate choice. I don't remember what I had but I think if they changed their menu options I would try it again.

Pros: price, location
Cons: taste, service
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

The menu is being worked on!

The correct address is -

Shops B&C, G/F, at the rear of the building called 'The Hennessy', Johnston Rd., Wanchai, next to the 'Caltex' gas station.

The restaurant is in Johnston Rd.

The postal address is 256 Hennessy Road, Wan Chai, Hong Kong - but there is no entrance in Hennessy Rd.

Opening times 11.00 to 22.00 (last orders 21.45).

Powerbex
Powerbex

Good Chinese Food

3 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2009

I Always have the stirfried rice with faux meat bits, spicy and tasty. My boyfriend has had the cha siu and enjoyed it (he is a meat eater). Atmosphere is like a cafateria- chose your food and pay for it, then you get a number and when your order is ready you collect your tray. The menu is full of Chinese dishes prepared with faux meats. They also have one or two desserts which I have not yet tried. Prices are cheap.

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Wan Chai: