Loving Hut - Upland

Previously Veggie Era. Now Loving Hut, part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegan living. Serving vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and dessert. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Asian, Vietnamese, American, Take-out
903 W Foothill Blvd Ste B (Upland Square Shopping Ctr)
Upland, California 91786-3723
909-982-3882

Open Tue-Sat 11am-9pm, Sun 4-9pm.

First Review by spidey
marianajimenez2016
marianajimenez2016

Needs Music !:)

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

My fiance and I came here starving after a long morning. Food took long due to the ovens that had to be warmed up. It's was delicious and worth the wait tho. I do think this place need music! We were trying to enjoy our meal but we kept hearing people flush the toilet..and the man who waited on us arguing on the phone with bill collectors! !! That's a huge no for me!

Pros: Food, Optipns
Cons: Host Arguing On The Phone With Bill Collectors, Hearing Toilet Flushing
nardanddee
nardanddee

always a favorite

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2013

I love that the menu is different at each Loving Hut. The menu at this location is quite extensive and a little overwhelming. You find yourself wanting to try everything. They sell some grocery items at this location, too. The food was tasty (as usual) but I was really shocked to see mozzarella sticks on the menu. Big bonus points for an item I haven't been able to enjoy for years (since I went vegan). Also shocked to not have the propaganda of the Supreme Master playing in the background.

Pros: big variety
Cons: pricier than some other locations
jaskins
jaskins

My First Time Eating @loving Hut

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

I am a new vegan and was kind of scared to venture out and try new things, but I found happy cow and read all the reviews for the loving. Hut and I decided to try it....Well i tried the spring rolls and the fried rice and the peking bbq and it was delicious. I will return to taste their veggie burger. So far so good...Thanks Happy Cow

Pros: Good Food
Cons: Small Portions
llaauurraa
llaauurraa

Best Loving Hut around!

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

I remember when this place was known as Veggie Era. When it changed to Loving Hut I was a little nervous as I hadn't enjoyed many Loving Huts around the Orange County area. Luckily it was still the same staff, they are all really nice and helpful! Another good thing was that the menu remained mostly the same. By far my favorite Loving Hut to visit! It is a little crowded at times so we mainly et it to-go. Everything we've tried has been delicious, from the garden veggie chow mein to the loving burger. It is also fairly priced!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: can feel crowded & small
scottie1134
scottie1134

The original and still the best vegan in the I.E.

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

They've been through 3 name changes and it's stll absolutely amazing. Crazy scottie's chickenless is the best. They got chili dogs burgers desserts asian dishes and even pasta dishes. Even pizza now.

Pros: vegan, great taste, family run
Cons: if they could be open 24 hours

Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

a little Loving Hut

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

We met up with friends to have lunch and shared the appetizers of veggie pancake, wontons and tofu. The pancake was yummy. For entrees, we ordered separate dishes rather than family style, but everyone enjoyed their meals. Dirk and I shared the ramen bowl, the savory orange pineapple and a ocean splash sandwich special. The ramen was very tasty and their menu is mainly Asian, so they do that well although the sandwich was good too. We shared a chocolate pie for dessert. I also had a rose milk tea which was refreshing.

They are located in a strip mall, so their space is on the small side (compared to other Loving Huts I've been to), but it was neat and clean. You order at the counter, but the service was still very attentive with water glass refills and clearing the plates. They also sell some dry goods and refridgerated items like cheese. Overall, it's a good value for the money and it's nice to have an all vegan place to eat in the Inland Empire.

Pros: all vegan in the IE, easy parking
shaz
shaz

Great Vegan Food

5 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2012

Great food, more along Asian lines than American (for American food see the Loving Hut in Claremont). They do have excellent vegan hot dogs and hamburgers, and excellent fries! Of the asian dishes the Joyful Sate, Crispy Rolls and Loving Fried Rice are all good dishes. Easy to find once you enter the shopping center parking lot. Give it a try!
Updated from previous review on Friday May 04, 2012
Updated from previous review on Friday May 04, 2012

Pros: Excellent food, easy to find, great staff
Cons: none!
Ginita
Ginita

Loving Hut-Upland

4 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2012

Stopped in with my brother (non-veg) for a quick bite. We both ended up ordering the Kung Pao Wow which was delicious. Fast service. My brother also had the Thai iced tea which he raved about and enjoyed his meatless meal as well. Great place for fast food. Lady at the counter was kind of pissed that I touched her cookie display. I guess I didn't put the cookie box back exactly where it had been because she looked at me funny and then moved it back how she had it. Maybe she was having a bad day. The counter had homemade cookies for sale at a whopping four bucks for 6 cookies. I decided to just go home and make some myself, especially after the visual reprimand. There are also different kinds of protein bars and jerky for sale plus a few other items like boxes of mac n cheese. Great selection of food on their menu. Would go back if I was in the area. (My favorite Loving Hut is still the one in Orange, though!)

Pros: fast service, good value
jennamichelle1
jennamichelle1

Had to go back again for their desserts

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

It was a little hard to find, but once we found it we were pretty impressed. We had the veggie pancake appetizer and it was bursting with flavor. We almost ordered another one! We had the sweet potato prawns, but read the menu wrong and weren't expecting fried vegan shrimp. I still enjoyed it though, even though I don't usually like fake meat. The side veggies on the dish were delicious. We had tirimasu for dessert. It didn't taste exactly like tiramasu, but it was still wonderful. We came back the next day to get another slice and some cookies.

typpikins
typpikins

Love This

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2010

I second the comment about how difficult it is to find specifically vegan restaurants in the Inland Empire. This place has the best raw vegan cheesecake and delicious orange chicken that I crave whenever I'm not eating it. It's sort of small, but they also sell cool vegan treats, like primal strips, rice-krispy treats, and other novelty items.

Pros: orange chicken, desserts, variety
Cons: not a lot of indoor seating
deetsgooch
deetsgooch

I crave this food!

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2010

When my family and I come here were order a bunch of entrees and share them all family-style. Everything we've tried has been delicious! Their BBQ Peking and Sate keep me coming back. Their veggie meat substitutes are the best I've ever had. We have not tried any of the American entrees like meat loaf and "beef" stew yet, but their Asian dishes a wonderfull. Portions and prices are great. Try the pepper spread condiment and ask for brown rice.

Pros: Best veggie meats, clean and bright, fast service
Cons: have to ask for brown rice
VeganHeights
VeganHeights

I love Veggie Era

4 Posted on 04 / 26 / 2009

I am so grateful that Veggie Era exists in "The Inland Empire" (where healthy/vegan restaurants should ABOUND due to the high population of Seventh-day Adventists). It's only about half an hour away from me (thankfully, or I would eat there daily!).

The food is awesome. The seitan/veggie meats are great, and I always order the SAME thing (the WONDERFUL Lemongrass Chicken!). I've recently taken every opportunity to stop by for the "Chicken Drumsticks". They used to have great little drumsticks like all the other Quan Yin/Supreme Master Ching Hai locations (we would travel an hour and a half from our country home in Massachusetts to the obscure Worchester Quan Yin Restaurant), but they have recently introduced these HUGE drumsticks (which I am SURE are commercially made, but who cares?!) which I love.

The true STAR of Veggie Era is the DESSERTS. Their Chocolate Truffle Pie, or ANY of their desserts are absolutely WONDERFUL. I don't care if you're vegan, vegetarian, or omni/whatever... Their desserts are WONDERFUL! I am just sad that getting their CAKES is a rarity. They are really the MOST delicious, moist, WONDERFUL cakes you'll ever enjoy! But like I said, they rarely make them. Oh, well, their pies will tie you over and keep you hoping to someday eat one of their wonderful, moist cakes.

The prices are also VERY reasonable, and the staff is always very friendly and helpful and nice. The only negative I have to say (besides not being able to buy their cakes regularly!) is that they are sorely lacking in the "vegetable" department. After 28 years of studying health and nutrition, I not only advocate a vegan diet, but a WHOLE FOODS diet rich in VEGETABLES. They seem to have mainly onions and peppers in stock. While I think onions and peppers rule, they need to add MANY more veggies to their menu. Some unique Asian veggies (such as Kang kung/Om Choy, Chinese Green Beans, lemongrass, galanga, turmeric, Bok Choy and the liberal use of the highly nutritious mung bean sprouts) would make this the PERFECT eatery.

Pros: GREAT VALUE!, DELICOUS!, Great staff
Cons: You can never buy the DELICOUS cake!, Not too many veggies (ironic), Religious propaganda constantly playing
Jesicka
Jesicka

AMAAAZING

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2009

I love Veggie Era! They have a good selection of entrees and delicious desserts! I also love their fruit flavored drinks. mm mm

ivseentwilght
ivseentwilght

Best Veggie Food - Hands Down

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2009

I've been to many vegetarian food places in my 11 years of being vegetarian, and I haven't found a place that I enjoy going to anymore than this place. The food is delicious, and they have big portions. The sauces are flavorful, and the staff are genuinely nice. Their heart is in the right place, and their food backs that up. The orange chicken is yummy, the desserts are heaven, and you must try the chicken drumsticks!

Pros: delicious meals, friendly staff, big portions
brokenbacktango
brokenbacktango

Nice!

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

The food is pretty good and the prices are as well! They aren't exactly omni-friendly--they're a little too "in your face" for some of my friends--and sometimes the lighting makes the atmosphere feel a little oppressive but I've never had a bad meal there. It's also just up the road from me, so it's very convenient :)

dinokid
dinokid

omg! ITS HEAVEN!!!!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2008

i love this place, if i could i would live there. It has the best food and its great because i dont have to drive all the way to Los Angeles, Veggie Era is close to my house and has awesome food....i love the Orange Chicken-less best ever!!!! =)

Reyna323
Reyna323

Yummm!!!

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2008

What else can I say, all the positive reviews are true. I tried this place because of many good reviews, and I wasn't disapointed. I'm picky but this food is so good, they put alot of care in their food. We need more places like this. Took my carnivore family and they loved it!

Pros: Food quality, Menu choice, Price
Cons: Far from my home, Hidden
gcajar
gcajar

Very delicious

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

Veggie Era is the first vegetarian restaurant I went to since becoming a vegetarian. It is very delicious. I recommend the "chickenless rice" plate.

Pros: Chinese Food, Delicious
Cons: pricy drinks
SoyMilkShake
SoyMilkShake

Lemongrass!

5 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2008

I have visited this restaurant a total of maybe 3 times, and I always ordered on the go. They have a pretty well-rounded menu with plenty of faux meats.

During my first visit, I had included an order of sweet and sour soy chicken with pineapple, and that was just, eh... okay. I was rather disappointed with that dish despite the newspaper review praising its delicious-ness hanging on their wall. I also ordered the soy chicken fried rice, and it was the absolute best fried rice I have ever had. The fake chicken was right on... My stepdad, a hardcore meat-eater, was very surprised at how good it was.

And my favorite dish from Veggie Era: the lemongrass soy chicken. It was SOOOOO good. If I still lived in the SoCal area, I would be there everyday! My whole family loved it... I'm drooling just thinking about it :D

The waitress was somewhat friendly; she was younger and didn't seem to care much about smiling. Oh well... I can't comment on other aspects of the restaurant since I was only there briefly.

A good experience overall. Definitely worth a visit.

Pros: Great food, Plenty of parking
benzgirl1957
benzgirl1957

Yummy!!

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2008

I have been here over ten times and only once was the food ok. It is spectacular every other time. My faves are the Chickenless fried rice and the Crispy chkn'less with basil. They are very nice as well. I would be so depressed without this restaraunt. The value is great as well. You get a lot for your money.

Pros: healthy cuisine, excellent food, good value
Cons: Closed Mondays
rabidamazon
rabidamazon

Excellent value

4 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2007

I am not big on mock meats but I did enjoy the kung pao no chicken. The soup was a little bland and the veggies seemed overcooked. The Thai tea with soymilk was a welcome treat.
The table next to me got something that came out on a sizzling platter that looked and smelled great. I will try that next time.
Right now there is a lot of construction on the strip mall and I had a hard time finding it. I called several times and communication was a bit of an issue. I definitely worked hard to get there and was well-rewarded. I tried to go back recently but didn't realize they were closed on Monday (what a bummer).

Pros: Great Value, Good food
Cons: Construction on the building, Staff not incredibly attentive
kenneth
kenneth

terrible

2 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2007

The worst excuse for vegan chinese food I've ever had in my life. Everything was stiff or soggy and had disgusting texture. [edited- please see terms].

Pros: i came out alive, i was allowed to leave, i don't need to ever return
Cons: nasty food, cultish atmosphere, did i mention nasty food?
sbm02002
sbm02002

my perfect restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2007

it is so cheap and so delicious. i have probably eaten here a hundred times. located in a suburban strip mall parking lot, it's a total amazing surprise. i recommend the lunch special, a ridiculously good deal that includes soup, rice and entree. my favorite items are the thai iced tea, general tso's chicken, and the chicken potato curry. seriously, i have never had better vegan chinese food anywhere. desserts are also yummy - the pies are better than the cakes though. the staff is really nice, and the place has a community following and a friendly, casual ambience.

Pros: cheap, friendly staff, usually fast service
tartarugafechada
tartarugafechada

excellent oasis

4 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2007

the environment was underwhelming -- bad 80s music, decor that was halfway between a typical Chinese restaurant and a fast food place, and a wait staff that seemed either distracted or annoyed -- but the food was excellent. the menu features mock meat dishes, mostly typical chinese fare such as kung pao chicken and mongolian beef. the orange chicken was breaded and superbly sweet, and the mongolian beef was grilled, smokey, and would be an excellent choice for meat-eaters or those veg*s who miss meat. the $5.50 lunch special (comes with entree and rice) is the economical way to go while the other entrees were reasonable ($8-$12) with some house specials costing more. suggested appetizer: skewers, which allow you to sample the grilled chicken, beef, and pork "meats" which are all very very tasty.

the desserts sounded good, but i can only attest to the peanut butter pie, which was vegan and not great, tasting like it was mostly blended peanut butter dumped in a pie shell and very little else. overall though, this is an excellent place well worth the detour off of Interstate 10.

spidey
spidey

yikes!!

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2006

the previous reviewer might be right, this place was awesome. Although ive only been here once, the food was outstanding. Unfortunately do to where i live i may only get to visit this place very very very sparingly. The people in there were nice and the food was full of flavor. It would be cool if the owners opened up another location ..........hmmm maybe closer to LA, if they did, im sure it would do great.

Pros: great food, fast service, nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Upland: