Vegan eatery behind the closed coliceo on Lake Titicaca. Previously operated as Sol Salud-Super Vegan, now it's part of the international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, and advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Also sells some vegan food stuff. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Asian, Peruvian, Juice bar, Take-out, Delivery

• Cash only

First Review by domingoflamingo
sglcklch
sglcklch

Dinner service was a scam!

2 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2014

Contrary to the other reviewers’ seemingly great experiences, ours was a bitter one. Granted, the food was okay and the place was clean. Everyone commented on how nice the manager was. We thought so as well until we got the check which turned out to be a total ripoff.

We got here at around 5:30 for an early dinner, just to find them cleaning up getting ready to close. A man I assume was the manager came out and said they were wiped out of food from a busy lunch session earlier. Still, he assured us he could rustle up something. We asked for the menu but were told there was none. Anyway, we went with it, not having a single moment of doubt. I mean, how expensive can a meal be in a Loving Hut? Let alone one in Puno in Peru? We were so wrong.

After some wait, he brought out two bowls of soup noodles (the instant kind), a plate of veggie saltado, and a platter of papa a la Huancaína. Very basic stuff. We also ordered a carrot juice, dessert, and some snacks to go. The total came to a whopping 144 soles! That’s US$50! (He simply told us the amount. No receipt or anything.) That was crazy expensive by Peruvian standards, but we just paid and left. It was after we went back to the hotel that we realized how ridiculous it was that we returned to confront him.

When questioned about the bill, he showed us a little memo that he scribbled on:

Soups - 14
Juice - 7
Two main plates - 25 each
Cakes - 7
Snacks - 20

The main plates were way overpriced for what they were; the rest were fair. But then there was another 20 on the paper that, according to him, was an additional charge for the “great lengths” that the kitchen to serve us. What a crock! Well, he should’ve been upfront about it from the get-go, but he mentioned nothing. Heck, say I gave him that, the total should be 118, nowhere near 144. Apologizing, he said he must have “somehow” doubled the surcharge. Even so, it should’ve been 138. What about the other 6 soles? He was so FOS and couldn’t even justify his own math. In the end, we managed to get the 26 soles back, gave up on the surcharge and the overpriced items, and left.

This dinner ended up being—unrightfully so—the priciest meal we had during our two weeks in Peru. Insane, I know. It wasn’t so much about the miscalculations (maybe math just wasn’t his thing) as it was about the arbitrary charge that he added to our bill. There was another couple dining there that evening, and the manager casually told us he charged them the same. I felt bad for them.

desertcollie
desertcollie

Among the best!

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

I have been to this restaurant many times on my different visits to Puno. It's truly a wonderful place, great food in huge portions for low prices, amazing staff and owner. It's a very clean and refreshing restaurant, one of the only places in Peru I completely trust for hygiene--even for the salad.

The menu of the day (12/S)changes everyday, and includes a salad, soup, a choice of three main courses (or a combination), and dessert. Also available are specialty vegan cakes and baked goods at the front counter as well as a large array of health food products and vegan food. They've also expanded recently, but the restaurant is usually quite full, which prevents that 'empty restaurant' feeling.

I cannot recommend this restaurant enough, I've been here more times than I can count both with family and friends and we still talk about it. The owner, Oscar, is also wonderful and really takes pride in his establishment and the community, which shows. You can often buy items to support local causes such as rehabilitating stray dogs here.

One of the top attractions in Puno!

Pros: Everything, Best food in the Altiplano, Scrupulously clean
emily88
emily88

Excellent Set Menu

5 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

This restaurant provides a delicious menu of the day. I had a big bowl of soup, a Bolivian stew, a small desert and a drink all for 12 sols. We were too full after all that to try the cakes, but purchased some chocolatey snacks for later in the day. The owner is very friendly and speaks very good English. We only discovered this restaurant on our last day in Puno so we sadly couldn't go back again for more!

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Clean
  • LovingHutTitikaka LovingHutTitikaka

Thanks for your visit Emily, continue vegan please... X-mas and Happy New Vegan Year 2014...

aisawesome
aisawesome

cheap and really good food!

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

Came here for lunch and got a soup, salad, main dish and dessert for 10 soles! We were so full! The soup was really good and had black potatoes in it which I've never had in my life. For the salad it's cafeteria style, you can help yourself to it, they had an avocado dressing that was really tasty. The day we came, for the main mail, we had a bean dish with brown rice that was very tasty. Not exactly sure what dessert was..but in addition, my friend and I both got a slice of the quinoa cake which was amazing!!!!

They also sell these quinoa chocolate bars that are delicious! We came the night before and bought one each, and when we came back for lunch, I had to buy a whole pack!

The menu is small and changes every day, there isn't much to choose from,that is the only downside.

The manager Oscar is so friendly and helpful!

I definitely recommend coming here if you're in Puno!

• LovingHutTitikaka LovingHutTitikaka

Thanks for your visit aisawesome, we will try to be better and better, with more plates in 2014. Please visit any LovingHut.com close to you. Continue vegan!!! We really love you. :)

domingoflamingo
domingoflamingo

Really good vegan food!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

We went to all the vegetarian places in Puno that's listed here on happy cow. This place was the best. Nice staf, and the food tasted great! When I'm back in Puno this is the place i will eat lunch every day!

PS: The owners are friends with the people that runs Flashback, and we went there as well. Amazing vegetarian burgers!

• LovingHutTitikaka LovingHutTitikaka

Thanks domingoflamingo. We win as a better place with a healthy food in puno. Try vegan please. We love you. :)

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Titikaka: