Loving Hut vegan restaurant was created with a vision that all beings can live in peace and harmony with each other and the planet. It is an invitation to gourmet cuisine made with wholesome, vegan ingredients, and it offers an accessible starting point for those making the transition to a plant-based diet. See menu and more info on its website. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Asian, International, Take-out
524 Irving St (Sunset District)
San Francisco, California 94122

jasonlheath
jasonlheath

Nice Place

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2014

Nice extensive menu and tasty food, however service was a bit slow and they brought out the rice well before the main dishes so the rice went cold. Otherwise a good place.

Pros: Menu, Food Tasty
Cons: Bad Service
earthville
earthville

Great dessert, some organics

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2014

This Loving Hut is good for a meal or dessert if you're in the Golden Gate Park area. The food is typical Loving Hut fare, but they distinguish themselves by using some organic ingredients, including salads, which we appreciate. They also have an enticing dessert menu, and the pumpkin "cheesecake" is lovely.

Pros: Some organics, good desserts, near the park
dkinjer
dkinjer

very slow service, adequate food

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

We had to wait so long for a takeout lunch menu that it is hard to be positive about this place. The lunch menu was OK, but nothing particularly exciting. Pretty typical veggies and grain type thing. Not worth waiting for. If we were in some location that doesn't have a lot of vegan choices, it's one thing. But in San Francisco there are so many choices.

Pros: All vegan
Cons: very slow service, mediocre food

AshleyLorden
AshleyLorden

Fine for takeout and has vegan dog food

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Came here for takeout for a picnic lunch in Golden Gate park. Worked really nicely for that, near enough for an easy walk to eat in a grassy field. Compared to other Loving Hut locations in SF, the dishes I had here were not the most exciting but met the general standards of Loving Huts around the world. They had some cakes that looked really good but were $4-6 for a slice, pretty expensive considering most dishes are $8-11 and the weekday lunch special is $5.95 (great deal)!

The atmosphere in the restaurant was pretty sterile, not the most fun to eat inside; think cafeteria.

The most interesting thing was that they offer a "Loving Hut" brand vegan dog food, which I've never seen before. It's very convenient to pick some up here, the only other location for vegan dog food in SF that I've seen being Rainbow Grocery which sells V-Dog (with a good markup over the online price). My dog normally eats V-Dog kibble and he seemed to like Loving Hut kibble about the same (we tried a $1 sample bag). They seem similar in ingredients also.

Pros: Perfect location for park picnics, Offers variety of human and canine food
Cons: Dishes I tried were one-dimensional, Lack of ambience in restaurant
Pumpkins213
Pumpkins213

Love Loving Hut

Posted on 02 / 22 / 2014

We ate here on Valentine's Day - luckily, they weren't too busy and it wasn't too loud. Our servers were nice and the food was good. As always, at every loving hut. The menu has gf options listed - including a tasty minty chocolate cheesecake! For appetizer we shared "Spicy Lemongrass Tofu". I ate the "Chow Fun" with thick rice noodles and broccoli. Alex ate the "Mongolian Delight". It was a lot of food!

Pros: Good service, Tasty food, Plenty on the plate
diva
diva

My least favorite location

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

We went there for dinner this week and were surprised at the price of the food. It was 37 and change for two plates, soup and rice.

The food was okay, but not very exciting. The wanton soup was not good. Totally will never order soup from them again.

The location in North Beach is way better.

Chia
Chia

Good place for a casual bite

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow and stopped in for lunch, October 2012. Here's my Loving Hut Sunset review.

It's a deep space with plenty of seating. At the front of the restaurant is a counter with glass case display of some cooked dishes (for their lunch specials - rice + one entree) and another display of colorful cakes and other snacks. Overall it's very relaxed.

The menu is extensive and most dishes come with a photo image so you can see what you might like to get. I always like to get the pho noodle soup, so I did. It arrive piping hot with a aromatic cinnamon scent. Taste was all right. I also ordered a side of potstickers (pan fried dumplings), and that was tasty, too.

The prices are inexpensive, and the food is fresh and all vegan. Our waiter was very friendly and courteous.

A good stop to get a quick bite when in the Sunset area of San Francisco.

RachelLaMell
RachelLaMell

Love in the Sunset

Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

I loved my meal at Loving Hut. The place was clean, the service was good and everything we ordered was delicious. Loved the seaweed tofu soup and the orange tofu (very similar to orange chicken). Lots of healthy dishes, many gluten-free. Mostly vegan Chinese, but some "western" dishes as well.

adeclaration
adeclaration

Perfect

Posted on 01 / 01 / 2012

It's inside the mall--I had to walk through bloomingdales to get to it. It is a vegan version of an asian food court place, but it actually tastes better than the average food court food; and the fake meat has really nice texture. It really made me feel like a normal human again getting a food court combo dish. I liked that they used real plates and cups instead of disposable ones. I think it was about $9 for rice and 2 food choices.

Pros: tastes great, filling, fast
Cons: noisy food court
animalattorney
animalattorney

I really like this place =)

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2011

I became addicted to the "Ocean Basket" which has pulled me back to this location many times.

When we first ordered the Ocean Basket, I didn't want to eat the "fish like" things because it seemed strange and weird. Then late that night when I was hungry and in the mood for a midnight snack, all the "fish" items were left over and I tried them. They were delicious! And I normally don't like the fake meat stuff.

I am big into soups! Pho is my favorite here. Although the spicy soup printed just underneath the pho is really amazing!

I think the staff here are more than accommodating because on three (3) different occasions they brought out an extra bowl of just the broth since I finished mine too soon (no extra charge). Same with more dipping sauces... No problem.

As I mentioned, the staff are fabulous. I think the very bright ambiance might be slightly lacking (especially at nighttime when you want a "warm" environment), but the food and staff make up for the setting.

Also, I know someone who keeps ordering the burger at this place. He thinks it's delicious and loves it (although he's from Ireland, so perhaps his taste buds aren't as discerning as the other reviewer).

Pros: pho, spicy soup, staff
Cons: bright lights
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Loving Hut

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2011

Out of all three SF locations, I'm sad to say that this one is my least favorite. But hey, every restaurant can't be #1 right? I'm going to say this experience was mixed because my friends really loved their meals but I really disliked mine. I have a feeling that it had to do with what side of the menu we ordered from - my friends ordered various items from the Asian menu (such as orange chicken) and I, not in the mood for Asian food, opted for the Western menu (Champion Burger and a side of potato salad). Sadly, I felt that my burger was less than stellar and it could have used more flavoring - it also fell apart. My potato salad was terrible, it had too much mustard in it and it also tasted like it had a lot of vinegar in it as well - this is coming from someone who loves potato salad in all forms. I did have few bites of both of my friends' dishes and they were all really good, one of my friends talked about the orange chicken for a few days after our visit. Overall, I'd say this place is between a 3.-3.5 and I'd go back again, but would certainly avoid the burger.

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Sunset: