Loving Hut - Spadina Ave

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by the visions of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. Serving vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and desserts. See menu with photos on its website. One of 2 Loving Huts in Toronto. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Vietnamese, Western, Chinese, Take-out, Delivery

Vegan_food_lover
Vegan_food_lover

Decent food

4 Posted on 06 / 29 / 2014

The food was nice! My friend and I shared the fried wontons, the Thai spicy noodle, shanghai noodle and cherry ice cream for dessert.
The fried wontons were miniature, 6 to share with a sweet and sour dipping sauce. Soup was spicy and delicious, it was huge and could easily fill one person up! Shanghai noodles were also very delicious.
I would recommend more dessert options. Also, I knew that the place was "nut free" to cater to people with nut allergies, I just missed the peanuts a lot in the food :)
It could get a little pricey, but once in a while it's a nice place to eat at! If you're vegan you CANNOT go wrong ordering anything you want :) Guilt free!

Pros: Delicious food, Great service, Vegan!
Cons: No nuts :(, Tad pricey, More dessert options
junipearl
junipearl

Really liked it

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

affordable and TONS of options for the gluten free vegan. The actual venue could use some updating!

Pros: Food, Service
Cons: Decor
laurac0bb
laurac0bb

amazing!

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2013

Loving hut has all my essentials for a great dining experience. They have friendly staff, great tasting all vegan food, fast service and the prices are more than reasonable. Try the sweet and sour spicy strip!

Pros: great vegan food, fast service, good prices

Almostaveganpatty
Almostaveganpatty

Nice and inexpensive

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

Loving Hut was one of the first vegan places I went to when I made the change. While I will agree that the food can be on the bland side, I've never been disappointed. Their burgers, BLT and dips are delicious! They offer homemade ketchup too. Not a favourite, but a good place to eat when low on funds :-)

Pros: Excellent price!!, Great location, Good service
Cons: A little bland
Renesa
Renesa

UNspecial special

2 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

Went for the offered special: soup of day + pad thai (total cost incl. tx and tip=16.84$). I opted for the thai soup which was more like a lime soup and the pad thai was the absolute blandest I have ever had. Just a bunch of reddish sticky noodles topped with some watery tasting tofu with less than a handful of very thinly shredded "barely there" cabbage or lettuce (I couldn't tell)... I was hungry so I had a few bites of each but ended up quickly returning my virtually untouched plates. I wasn't offered any kind of compensation for the unsavory dishes and I didn't bother asking for one either since it was/is clear to me that this was a one time bonus from me to them. EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTING. Service was good but obviously the staff is not at all given the empowerment needed to make the necessary judgment calls to turn a bad experience into a forgiven one in order for the dissapointed patron to give them another "loving" chance. [edit by staff]
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 29, 2013

Pros: Nice place, Well located, Nice staff
Cons: Bland, Unempowered staff, Rip-off
josee.91
josee.91

Yum!

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2013

Cute little restaurant, fantastic menu, great food!
See my blog post here: http://vegan-bananas.blogspot.ca/2013/02/vegan-restaurant-loving-hut-toronto.html

Pros: all vegan, great food, friendly staff
nowherefast
nowherefast

Good Bang for Buck

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

I always have a huge portion of food when I go here. They probably have the best won ton soup in town. I had their BLT once and it was amazing, best one I have ever had. The staff are very helpful and friendly

Pros: great food, filling
IngridV
IngridV

great food great staff

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

As I worked at this place I can say that it is a really dedicated vegan restaurant totally nuts free. I do think that the staff is great and the food is so excellent. I miss it everyday. our chef is a genius.
love to all
Oh and they have Sweet from the earth cake (which is from all I've tasted, the best vegan bakery ever)

Pros: cheap, great food, friendly staff
Huples
Huples

Peaceful

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

Being almost directly opposite Fresh this place is ideal if Fresh is too full. The food is good and wholesome without being adventureous. The wok prepared vegan food makes for a slightly different oral experience. Kale was wonderful. It is very peaceful and makes a delightful 'sub' for SPadina Fresh. The video of her supreme whatever is mildly amusing but who am I to judge? Good food, good price, and really peaceful 9/10

Pros: wok vegetables, calm, relaxing
Cons: Supreme Highness video, Too close to Fresh
Ken4057
Ken4057

Try the savoury crisp

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2012

Came here for my birthday shortly after they opened (went to the other location last year for my birthday).

Even better choices here. We had the fried spring rolls, savoury crisp and BBQ Noodle. All were filling and flavourful. The highlight of the evening was the savoury crisp, served with a combination of vegan tartar sauce and what the server called 'middle eastern sauce', which was spicy and robust and unlike anything I've tasted.

This is one place where you keep coming back to try other dishes because they're so diverse.

The only downside to our experience was that the stereo was so distorted and loud. Hope they fixed it.

vgXhc
vgXhc

loving hut

3 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2012

I went there to get take out food for me and my partner before getting on the train back home to Montreal. We've been to several Loving Huts before and generally liked their food. This time, however, we were not very impressed: the food tasted rather boring. Especially disappointing were the Fresh Rolls which we used to love. Apparently the Supreme Master has now decided that peanuts are evil, too, and therefore replaced the peanut dipping sauce with something rather bland. Since there are plenty of other options in Toronto we'll probably not go back there.

Pros: all vegan, inexpensive, large selection of dishes
maulydaft
maulydaft

ok

3 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2012

The food just didn't impress me. I usually have a hard time choosing a dish because there are so many good options... but this time I had trouble because nothing spoke to me. And then the food was just ok. There's a lot of options in Toronto. It's nice they are totally vegan.

Pros: location, totally vegan, decent prices
brentonagony
brentonagony

Enjoyable

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2011

I had the Singapore Noodles and my girlfriend had the Eggplant in black bean sauce. The Singapore noodles were nice, in no way oily and a good size. The black bean sauce was very tasty and quite mild compared to other black bean dishes I've tried in the past.

The meal wasn't very expensive and the staff was very friendly.

Plenty of good options on the menu which I'm keen to try in the future.

My only negative comment is the TV in the restaurant would show footage of animal cruelty and factory farming. I'm a big fan of "Behind the Mask" & "Earthlings" but not while I'm eating.

Pros: Price, Service, Options
Ohkamp
Ohkamp

Simple and tasty...

4 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2011

Sometimes the ingredients can be a bit too simple. Case in point, the other day I got rice noodles with faux meat atop it and the "vegetables" along with it was nothing more than lettuce. The meat was great but I needed more flavouring to make m way through the lettuce and noodles.

However, I got pad thai yesterday and it had three different proteins on it which was unexpected. welcomed, and delicious. The friends I went with seemed to enjoy their dishes of Curry and Spicy Cha Cha as well.

The prices are a little high for what shows up on your plate but you're paying for the organic ingredients so it's hard to complain.

I think Green Earth is a better option for this type of food but it is a welcomed vegan addition to the downtown core and I'll be hitting it for lunch weekly.

Pros: nice, clean space, friendly staff
Cons: can be too simple, a little more expensive than I'd like

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Spadina Ave: