Loving Hut - Honolulu South...

Affordable Vietnamese cuisine made vegan. Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. Each location is individual family owned. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Vietnamese, Asian, American, Take-out

First Review by krazykat

Amazing!

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2014

We have a Loving Hut in my hometown of Orlando, Fl, and while on vacation in HI we decided to check this one out. The first thing that struck me was that the staff was very friendly. The next thing was that all the food tasted very fresh. I got the crispy spring rolls and 3 entree combo with brown rice. We ended up deciding that we probably like the food at this LH than at the one back home.

Pros: Great service, Delicious

Good food, long wait

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

To begin with, the lady running the restaurant was very sweet and friendly when we first walked in. The only problem was, it happened that many people decided to all show up at the same time. She mentioned that she was missing two staff, one was on his way. I could tell she seemed stressed and didn't know how she was going to cover all the orders. Her second employee showed up eventually which was a good thing. The problem I had was that she was filling orders by dish, rather than by who arrived first and table. I understand the logic behind it but it made it very inconvenient as I ended up being the last of the 4 of us to get my meal and everyone had finished long before. I also watched all the other tables experiencing the same problem. On a plus side, the food was delicious once I finally got it! I'd definitely go again but hope that they get more organized.

Pros: Yummy, All vegan
Cons: Wait time

Eating Vegan on Vacation

4 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

My husband and I are both vegan and we really enjoyed the Loving Hut. The menu was pretty limited but everything we ate was very good. We went there a couple times on our visit to Honolulu. It was reasonably priced too.

Pros: good value/food, all vegan, clean
Cons: limited menu, hours

always a fav

3 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

This chain never let's me down. Whether it's a Loving Hut on the east or west coast of the states or here in HI, I'm always pleased.

Pros: variety, friendly staff, good prices
Cons: metered street parking, small space

Love Loving Hut

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

Loving Hut - just like my review of the other Loving Hut in town: somewhat predictable, but that's not a bad thing.

This Loving Hut has a more limited selection than most others I've been too but the food was genuinely tasty and otherwise good. Our young kids loved it too, asking numerous times on our holiday for a return.

Loving Hut is a real saviour when going on holidays because there's always somewhere that is reliably vegan and un-boring.

Thanks Loving Hut.

Pros: All vegan!

Great Vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2012

this restaurant is delicious & one of the best places to eat! the Pho & tasty glory are the best dishes!

Pros: healthy, tasty, gives vegetarian society discount

Not bad

3 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2011

My husband and I went here while on vacation from southern California, where there are a lot of vegan restaurants, especially Vietnamese places. He got the pho, I got the two-item dish with the lemongrass "chicken" and a curry. The pho was great, very flavorful, but my two dishes were bland and the lemongrass one was very dry. Good mock meats though, and we also got two cupcakes that were awesome, not too sweet (which I like) and very tasty.

Pros: Mock meats, Friendly staff
Cons: Sometimes bland

Delicious Faux Meat and Great Prices!

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

Loving Hut is probably my favorite South King St. place to get a meal. I only had one chance to go there (partly because they were closed the two other times we went back), but we will absolutely go back next time I'm in town.

Aside from being all vegan (which is worth a bajillion points) the food is really, really good. I had the lemongrass chickin and my wife had the pho, both of which I would recommend. Plus, the price to food ratio was very good.

And I can't forget to mention the staff. I've never had such friendly and helpful staff in Hawaii. I can't say enough.

I will say that the compassion tv channel playing inside the restaurant was odd, but the sound was inaudible and we just didn't watch it. Honestly, as long as the vegan food keeps coming they can play anything they want on that tv!

Pros: Lots of Choices, Delicious desserts, Great price and staff
Cons: Hours of operation were strange

New addition to my list:)

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2010

Just like Peace Cafe, I drove along King Street few times looking for this place but always passed it because of the small store front. The sign is also small just like other stores within the same block, the store is also often hidden behind numbers of cars parked in front of it. That say, finding this restaurant, as well as a parking spot would be a bit of problem depending on the time & day you go.
When I stop by there on early Saturday afternoon, luckily I managed to find a parking spot. I walked right in.
Inside decor was white-based, brightly clean and well-lit, approx. 6 to 7 tables for dine-in. Price is reasonable, entree is ranged between $4.50 to $7.95. What caught my eyes before ordering was these vegan cupcakes which was not listed on the menu. They are organic and vegan with cashew-cream frosting. Very tempting, indeed.

Staffs are all helpful & friendly, one of the lady helped me selecting the items. I ordered Crispy Rolls and Combo plate.
I sat and looked around while waiting. There are photos of Vegetarian celebrities on the wall(didn't know Princess Di was vegetarian!), as well as some books to read(or maybe for sale). I guess those books are informative for non-vegan/vegetarians but I assumed there's nothing new I did not already know. Meanwhile, customers kept coming in for to-go. One of them came in with own containers and ordered a soup to-go. Seems they encourage eco-friendly/biodegradable containers, & recycling.

Overall seasoning of the food I ordered seemed to be a bit lighter side, or maybe it was not drenched in sauce like some other entrees. The Sriracha one of the lady brought over to me was a great help. Crispy roll was pretty good.

One thing a little bothered me was, though, there's a TV on the wall constantly showing this religious show/news/report which I believe is related to the owner of this international chain. I tried not to pay much attention to it as I'd prefer to stay away from religious topics when I dine. This was the only reason I'd leave 1 star out from the rating.

Overall, I like this restaurant and definitely be back again. I am really glad that I can add another vegan dining option here in Honolulu to my list:)
About the cupcakes. Being a sweet tooth, I bought one to-go as I couldn't really resist it. It was yummy. I'd stop by everyday just to get this cupcake!

Pros: Helpful & Friendly Staffs, Reasonable, The organic vegan cupcakes!!
Cons: Parking, Small storefront

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Honolulu South King St: