CLOSED: Loving Hut - Shanghai

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, vegan desserts, and more. Chinese name 爱家国际素食连锁店, address 上海市杨浦区国定路506号. SHUT DOWN JAN 2013 PER OWNER. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Vietnamese, Organic
506 Guoding Rd, Yangpu District
Shanghai, China
8615-021-818032

First Review by wim
Tianci
Tianci

2 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2013

Please note that we went there on 2013.01.01 for lunch and they were closed. We tried talking to an individual that was there and he indicated they are closed for awhile awaiting approval to open. We talked to the folks at the Healthy Land Vegan Restaurant and they noted there is a rent dispute with the landlord at the Loving Hut. Be advised ... you may wish to call first before heading there.

psiphi75
psiphi75

Yummy

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2012

This place is far out of town but well worth it.  The dishes were cheap and great. Typical Chinese food with a couple of western options.  Staff are very friendly and speak English well.  There are no desserts.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, cheap
Cons: far away from central Shanghai
Marenka
Marenka

Loving Huts have never disappointed me

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

The food is great (but that's China, almost every mock meat is), and really cheap. We got appetizers and dishes for two and cookies to take out for around 80 RMB. And it wasn't the cheapest ones in the menu. The staff were nice and friendly, and talked us although their English was a little limited.

We were there around 4, and it opened half past. But they still let us sit and look at the menu meanwhile, and took our order before 4:30. It was good that we were there early, since after it's real opening time it got really crowded.

The staff brought us some free cookies with meal, and when we were leaving they asked if we would want to buy a box of them. Although I don't usually like this kind of selling, since it's hard to say no when they have been so nice, it was really worth buying. They were simply delicious, home-made, soft but crunchy, with walnuts. If you get the chance of trying them, you should!

Pros: delicious food and cookies, free rice, cheap, nice staff that are truly vegan
Cons: crowded (but good for them ^ ^ )
MDR
MDR

Nice little place

4 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2011

Although I ended up here between lunch and dinner, I was still served a simple lunch by the nice people on their break. Had a huge bowl of noodles, bok choy, and soy protein for 12 RMB. Tasty and very inexpensive! They are open 11:00 to 2:00 and 4:00 to 9:00. (Not sure about weekend hours). Near Jiangwan Stadium station--line 10.

Pros: good food, inexpensive, nice people
Cons: closed 2-4
veganrobot
veganrobot

Loving Hut, Shanghai

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

Loving Hut in Shanghai was amazingly cheap and good food. We frequent the Loving Hut in Orange, CA at least three times a week so we traveled out to see how this restaurant compared. The menu, of course, was completely different. Everything was made Chinese style including what we ordered: fake fish, faux meat dumplings, fresh fruit juice and sweet and sour chick'n. The dumplings were a hit, at only about $1 for the whole plate of around 15 dumplings, this was a steal. They are hand made and they have fake meat and vegetables. The juice was really good, but like at most Chinese restaurants they usually cost more than a whole plate of food. The fake fish was done really well, but was not our style. It tasted too much like fish and I was never a big fish person in the past, but I would still recommend this dish to fish lovers. The sweet and sour chicken was more sour with a vinegar taste. It came with free white rice and a soup with seaweed.

The best thing about this restaurant was the employee we met. He spoke perfect English and talked about their food, their philosophy, the location and other restaurants to try (he recommended JuJuBe Tree because it is about the only restaurant except their's that is actually vegan, thanks Xu!)

Pros: Cheap, Great Dumplings, Friendly
Cons: Fish dish, limited seating

markjosephdelgado
markjosephdelgado

Finding Love at the Loving Hut

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2010

I was an international student in Fudan University from February to July 2010. I thank my friend, Tiff, for introducing me to Loving Hut near our school.

Now that I'm back in my homeland, I can say that some of the fondest memories I have had in Shanghai is in Loving Hut. Thanks to the very warm laoban (boss of the restaurant) and his courteous assistants. Their hospitality added only to the already delicious Vegan meals that they serve as well as the coziness of their restaurant.

I will always be thankful for their Spicy Chicken with peanuts and delicious white rice! I always remember myself asking for more rice and soup because they were very tasty!

I was never a vegetarian but most of my food during my entire stay in China almost made me one. I was healthier and more satisfied as a person.

So much love is inside the Loving Hut. It's in the food and all the people inside it who are either dining or serving your meal. Everyone is happy.

Invite your friends for a treat! They do deliveries too!

You can't exit Shanghai without experiencing the Loving Hut!

Pros: Great Service, Unlimited Soup & Rice, Cozy Place
Cons: None, None, None
tacchua
tacchua

Home away from home

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

I studied in Shanghai for 5 months and I was blessed to have Loving Hut located 5 minutes away from my university. During this time span, Loving Hut has been my home away from home. The place is extremely clean and the ambiance is great. Servings are huge and the prices are very reasonable. Everybody in this restaurant is friendly. I can feel how passionate everyone is about vegetarianism. I have tasted almost all of their dishes and I never found myself unsatisfied. This is definitely one of the best vegetarian restaurants in Shanghai.

Pros: delicious food, wide variety of choices, inexpensive, excellent service, clean surroundings
briantunney
briantunney

Amazing Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2010

The Loving Hut is a moderately priced, extremely clean restaurant with a friendly English-speaking staff (they also offer a menu in English) and delicious food that's made to order. The cuisine varies from traditional noodles to fried mock pork, and everything is vegan. The staff even opened up early for us on the day we were leaving town. If you're in Shanghai, this is a must-visit restaurant.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, cheap prices
linn1378
linn1378

Yummy Vegan Food at a Great Price

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2010

I went to Loving Hut on a Friday afternoon around 3pm. I was the only customer there, but Mr. Xu, who speaks very good English, was friendly & chatted with me as I ate my bao zi (a steamed bread ball filled with cabbage & fake meat). It only cost me 1.5 RMB! I didn't try any of the main dishes (10-20 RMB each), but judging from the photos on the menu, they look delicious. I'm definitely going back!

Pros: cheap, yummy, friendly staff
Cons: pretty far from the city center
Dr Dipak
Dr Dipak

Good food, right price

4 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2010

Well first of all I would state that I ate at this place in March 2009 while I was on a tour to Shanghai. I recently heard that due to certain Govt policies or political reasons, many of the "loving Hut" group of restaurants in China have either closed down or changed their names to avoid undesirable situations. I heard that this particular "loving hut" at Shanghai has change the name now. But I have not seen the same with my eyes so I cant give a 100% guarantee.

Anyway whats there in a name until the restaurant is there in the same old place and serves the same good food/s. I hope someone who has visited the place more recently can update us better about this matter.

Coming to the food now, its was good, the menu was not extensive but enough for most people. The food was fresh, cooked properly and the place is 100% veg with mock meat dishes and alcohol free beer.

The place is located just about opposite of the Fudan university. The floor area of the restaurant is small but is neatly kept. The place has a cosy atmosphere. There is also one nice sofa with soft cushions.

Though there was no wi-fi at the time I visited in Mar 2009, the owner allowed me to use his desktop to check my mails etc.

The best part was the price.All the stuffs were really very modestly priced with most dishes being about 6-8 RMB (one dollar). Maybe as its near the university it has tuned itself to a "student oriented" price.

Overall experience was good. A good option to eat out if you are in or around that address while at Shanghai.

Just to add one more line, I ate there there frequently as I was staying at a "Home Inn" group of hotel which is at walking distance from this restaurant.

Pros: Modest price, good food
wim
wim

Loving Hut -- A lovely place...

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2009

Fully vegan menu with a nice range of chinese "mock-meat" dishes. Friendly owner, speaks english very well. Close to Fundan University and the Shanghai University of Finance and Economics. 10-20 Yuan for a main dish (excellent quality/price ratio). If you're studying or working at one of the mentioned universities, I can highly recommend this restaurant. Does deliveries too.

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Friendly staff, Cheap

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Loving Hut - Shanghai: