Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individually owned and operated. Serves vegan food, non-alcoholic beverages, and desserts. Has fresh juices, dumplings, a variety of soups, and Malaysian dishes like vegetable curry with tofu puffs. Established Nov 2010. Accepts EFTPOS. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Malaysian, Asian, Fusion, Take-out

nickb
nickb

Authentic food

Posted on 12 / 13 / 2014

This Loving Hut offers a very extensive menu of mostly Asian influenced dishes, but also a few raw dishes. My wife & I ordered the Vietnamese pho noodles (without the mock meat), which is one of my favourite vegan dishes. The pho here is the most authentic I have had outside of Vietnam - really delicious. The other dish we had was a seaweed cocktail (salad with some seaweed) which was also really tasty.

The service on the day we went was incredibly slow - about 45 minutes for the meals to get served (I know as I had to recharge my parking meter). The staff were apologetic and the lady who I assume was the owner gave us a free desert as a goodwill gesture, which was very nice. We ate the cashew & lemon pie, which was delicious.

Overall this is a very good Loving Hut. Great value and an extensive menu.

Pros: Extensive menu, All vegan, Delicious pho noodles
Cons: Slow service
CharleySDG
CharleySDG

Delicious, Authentic.

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

The best vegan laksa that I have ever tasted. Impeccable attention to detail by the staff.

coling
coling

addicted

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2013

found Loving Hut in California in june 2013 by accident and loved it. Now I am most happy to find hidden away in Melbourne is one of their cafe. No fuss, no pretend about fake meat, just good plain and tasty food. and the prices are so reasonable, any one can eat there. They also don't shove their branch of Buddhism down the throat., ( not that it is an issue with me being one).
just once I would urge people to try this place. just once

Pros: taste, value, environment
Cons: not enough of them

SimoneTracey
SimoneTracey

Check Out their Quick Lunch Deals

Posted on 11 / 11 / 2013

I love coming here. It's reasonably priced in a simple setting with a wide range of choice - the Thai packs a bit of punch! I've frequently enjoyed their lunch deal choices for around $10. A wonderful short soup (dumpling soup)and also their chow mein-fun vegetgable noodles in this section are to die for. They have some sensational raw food options too - really healthy. Check out their website as it says it all! Friendly staff.

AnimalsAll
AnimalsAll

What's not to love?

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2013

This is currently my favourite restaurant in Victoria. I've taken various friends here and all agree: it's wonderful. Okay it's not 100% perfect - on the last two visits I had to ask if one if our dishes was coming (they seemed to be forgotten by the busy waiters) - but it's pretty darn close. The aesthetics are ordinary but clean. The poster with quotes from famous vegans/vegetarians is inspiring. The staff are friendly and efficient. The prices are reasonable, but best of all, the food is fabulous. I love the variety of cuisines and the mix of vegetable-only, tofu or mock-meat dishes. The green curry is a personal favourite - so tasty and fairly mild. Not so keen on the crispy-skinned yam(?) entree, but the steamed dumplings are great. When available, the trifle is very nice. I only wish this chain would open a store nearer to Bayside, for my covenience. Oh, and grab the booklet on animal agriculture and the environment to learn the facts we all should know - non-vegans and vegans, alike. While owned by a religious group, no staff have ever mentioned this while I've been at Loving Hut, so no hassles for peope of no faith or different faiths. While all food is vegan, my non-vegan friends love it, too.

Pros: Delicious food, broad variety, Reasonably priced, Pleasant staff, fast service
Cons: Aesthetics are nothing fancy, but clean, Ask if you're missing a dish - don't wait
balou
balou

yummmm

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

really delicious vegan food !

syl
syl

Amazing food and people

Posted on 05 / 13 / 2013

A hidden gem this one, beautifully prepared south east Asian dishes. One of my favourites!

Good prices and great vegan home made desserts! Mmmmm!

roryjohnson
roryjohnson

Nommy asian food

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

Whilst not a fan of the underlying religious ethos of the Loving Hut franchise (other than the promotion of veganism!), the food is tasty, varied, and filling.

Pros: Vegan, Tasty, Healthier options (inc. raw)
Cons: speed, service is hit & miss if busy
bianchina
bianchina

great for raw vegans

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2013

they really looked after me when i arranged for my workplace end of year dinner to be here. my colleagues had the banquet, and i was provided with raw alternatives to everything. everything was delicious. on other occasions i have had the papaya salad which is lovely (and doesn't have oil poured all over it which is great)and they have always been happy to provide raw non menu items on request.

Pros: good at looking after raw vegans, good value and yummy food, friendly and pleasant atmosphere
Cons: sometimes foget to bring everything out
Aloo
Aloo

Feel the love

Posted on 02 / 24 / 2013

I enjoyed the whole experience of Loving Hut. Friendly staff, relaxed vibe and the food. So many choices! We had dumplings that were made fresh, we were advised there was a 15 minute wait, which we didn't mind. We had both steamed and fried dumplings. We had flat rice noodles, which were tasty. The serving sizes are good.
There is a range of desserts, such as cheesecake. But we didn't have room to fit any more in!

Pros: Food, Ambience, Healthy options
Chef.Tabbycat
Chef.Tabbycat
  • raw

I'm lovin' it!

Posted on 02 / 12 / 2013

GREAT place to bring your carno friends due to all the mock meat and seafood dishes! The decor is a little down home, but the food is seriously good! The tiramasu is to die for!! and the prices are very affordable! Highly recommend this place, though they don't have much raw food, but if you're happy eating cooked, then The Loving Hut is a great addition to your life experience! :-)

Pros: amazing food, mock meat dishes, price
Cons: timing of food service when in a group
VeganGirls
VeganGirls

Fantastic, fabulous, and delicious

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2012

A fantastic restaurant with fabulous food, lovely staff and a nice atmosphere. There are so many delicious options on the menu that it can be hard to choose! The desserts are to die for, especially the non-raw cheesecake. The menu has also expanded and now features many gluten-free, onion- and garlic-free, and raw options. The mock meats are super tasty but can also be removed if desired.

Pros: Incredible vegan desserts; best in Melbourne, Extensive menu that is highly flexible and caters , Very affordable
Cons: Service can sometimes be a bit slow, but it's alwa
June La Kasbah
June La Kasbah

The Loving Hut's Warm Glowing Warming Glow...

Posted on 06 / 21 / 2012

Today sucked a little. It has been freezing and raining. My partner and I decided to take a trip over to Abbotsford to see if the lock on the front door of our new rental has been fixed yet. It hasn't. But since we were in the area, we decided to wander down the road to Loving Hut, to check this exciting looking vegan place out. By the end of the meal we didn't want to leave!

Everything about the Loving Hut gets a thumbs up. The sweet waitress had such a calm manner about her, it was impossible not to relax immediately. We couldn't fault the food- just don't over order, the dishes are pretty well-sized. We highly recommend the Rada... the Rama... Randang something... can't remember the name, but steaks of faux meat in a coconut gravy. Literally one of the best vege meals I have EVER tasted. Even the music was good- some Ben Harper, Bob Marley, even a lil Don't Worry, Be Happy. The meals came out really quickly (though don't necessarily expect your entree before your main).

Pretty little place, so if you're bringing a few people, be nice and make a booking. Next time you're in the Abbotsford area on a cold rainy night, and in a terrible mood, I promise Loving Hut will lift your spirits.

Pros: Taste sensation, Great service, Good tunes
KATIE H
KATIE H

Simple but nice

Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

Loving hut looks like a old cafe on a busy surberb high street but the concept and peope inside are sweet and helpful. Food is cheap and basic but I like them. Its a grab food in that area place or catch up with friends place def not a date or intimate venue.

Pros: Lovely staff, Cheap
Cons: Decor
SJ (Australia)
SJ (Australia)

Delicious and great food

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2012

Loving Hut is a nice friendly restaurant to get good vegan food. The staff are not the most professional (it definitely doesn't feel slick!) but they're always really helpful and seem to genuinely care whether you're enjoying yourself or not.

The soups (laksa, tom yum, etc) are fantastic value. The bowls are huge and I think are around $8-$10. The entree "Crispy Delights" are honestly one of my favourite foods now and I make everyone try them and they rave about it. Its taro and enoki mushrooms, rolled in seaweed and deep fried in batter served with lemon wedges. Awesome. Probably a tad oilly as a main but great as an entree to share.

Highly recommended for an easy going lunch or dinner and its brilliant after a big night :)

Pros: Good value, Caring staff, Huge soups
Cons: None that I can think of
Reki
Reki

Lovely

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2012

The Loving Hut was a nice place. I went there before the dinner rush and was the only one in the restaurant for most of my meal. The staff was very friendly and engaged me in good conversation. The food was delicious. I got a whole meal to myself and felt it was a bit much, both portion wise and cost. Next time I go back I'll make sure to get a 'quick' meal instead, which I think will be a better portion and more cost effective.
They sell frozen take away food too. I didn't get any, but I think it's a good idea.

Pros: Very friendly staff, Delicious food
Cons: Price can be a bit high
JaimieCS
JaimieCS

Good food, not a great atmosphere...

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2011

I've been there twice, both times I had the wonton soup and it was delicious.

Some of the other food has been average, but generally it's pretty good and it's moderately priced.

Quite frankly though, I don't like going there. The staff are friendly, but clearly not experienced, and tend to be very overbearing.

The main problem has been that they like to push their philosophy on their customers - hard. I took my mum there and I'll never take another non-vegan again, they were quite rude to her in their efforts to convert her and they even bothered me, it wasn't good enough that I was vegan, I had to be a spiritual vegan.

The tvs play a channel specific to their philosophies as well, which is fine, but it does mean the place lacks music or any ambiance.

Pros: Vegan Menu, Good Food, Moderate Prices
Cons: Bad Staff, Cold Atmosphere
Sergeant Vegan
Sergeant Vegan

ooh the love....

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2011

The Loving Hut is one of my favourites! I am new to it and will be back frequently. The meals are priced very reasonably and the vibes is nice. Homely and chilled.
Great selection of desserts too.
Loved the paw paw salad..(maybe it was papaya)

Pros: Great food, staff & prices, generous portions, provide literature about Veganism
Cons: umm?
Cteeal
Cteeal

Loving the Love Hut

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2011

As a new addition to the world of veganism, I've been frantically searching around for restaurants that cater completely to a vegan diet. Fortunately, the Loving Hut was recommended to us and the decision was made to give it a try.
We weren't disappointed!
The Love Hut offers an extensive range of asian-influenced meals with tasty entrees, delicious soups and salads, through to hearty mains and desserts. And it's super cheap! For three main meals, plus an entree and drink each, our whole meal came to $60.
The wontons are crispy and delicious, the laksa has a bit of a chilli hit and is rich and creamy, the sweet and sour vegetables with soy nuggets are absolutely fantastic - just like any sweet and sour chicken you'd get anywhere else (even better!), the fried rice is a huge serve and has that classic fried rice taste, and the rainbow pockets are highly recommended - they're sweet on the outside and have a wonderful mix of vegetables and mushrooms on the inside - a refreshing treat. Normally I wouldn't recommend orange juice for a drink but this freshly squeezed treat is unlike any other simple OJ I've had.
It's really refreshing to go somewhere and not have to ask a million questions about whether something contains milk or egg. This place is 100% vegan.
Meals are really satisfying and hearty. It was hard to finish a whole serve. The staff were really friendly and we didn't wait long to be served or receive our meals.
The restaurant is pretty minimalist and basic, but its clean, neat and has a nice atmosphere. It wasn't busy when we were there, but I can imagine it being packed on Friday or Saturday evenings.
A really great find, hidden amongst the main strip of Victoria Street, Richmond.
Watch out for the quote about vegetarianism hidden near the counter - this place has some true ethical philosophy behind it.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Great value
Cons: Small establishment
ulysses_studio
ulysses_studio

tasety selection

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

I recently went here after work with my partner and ordered soooooooooo much food. we stuffed our faces with most ofthe specials and had desert too! Hmmmmmm coconut sago pudding :) i took a menu with me and now i order it for lunch! they have $8 specials like dumpling and noodles soup, green laksa, chick pea curry and rice and the fried rice. They use some kind of shiny oil that i'm not a massive fan of but the food is so yum i don't mind much. My friend ordered a take a way Malaysian Curry Laksa and it was too big to fit into one of those big bowl you get from Coles!
It's a mix of Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine.

Pros: cheap lunch specials
Cons: bad parking on vic street
Guest
Guest

Good selection

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2011

Very good selection of food. There are sone quick and cheap selection as well as good dinner selection. Friendly and helpful staff.

Pros: Vegan need not to worry as everything vegan, Very helpful staff.
Cons: I think the speed impreved compare to opening
Winglets747
Winglets747

A bit expensive for what you get

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2010

There are some interesting, nice dishes but I found the prices a bit high for the portion size, bland decor, and slow service (albeit by nice staff).

Pros: Unique, vegan
Cons: Poor value
Elena Go
Elena Go

Loving Hut

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2010

What drew me in is the fun loving name and logo of the shop! Loving Hut. Tried 6 dishes and it's great! Felt so healthy! It's simple and clean. Staff are very friendly and approachable. I've already invited some friends to go there for a birthday! still can't forget the taste of the dishes.
Fantastic!!!!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy cuisine, Friendly staff
KingKong
KingKong

Good location, nicely priced and good food

Posted on 11 / 14 / 2010

OK they've only recently so if you're popping by, just bear with them.
Foodwise, it's nicely priced and very good. Tried their Taiwanese Vermicelli. It's in the busy side of Victoria street.

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut: