CLOSED: Loving Hut - Palo Alto

Palo Alto vegan restaurant serving Asian and Western food including fresh spring rolls, avocado BLT, creamy potato soup, curry, salads, rice, tofu ice cream, pearl teas, and more. Casual, well-lit, comfortable space with around 10 tables. Part of the international vegan restaurant chain opened by disciples of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Confirmed closed, Oct 2014. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Vietnamese, American, Asian, Take-out, Delivery
165 University Ave (Emerson)
Palo Alto, California 95301
650-321-5588

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by aielywang
cat1
cat1

In the middle

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

It doesn't look that great when you first go in and the vibe is kind of dead but the food was good and the woman who was working there was really sweet so if your just going for a quick meal then it is great..
I had an avo wrap which was good.

Pros: food , service , server
Cons: vibe , look
kornfeld
kornfeld

Not up to the Standard of other Loving Huts

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

We are big fans of Loving Hut restaurants and other "Supreme Master" restaurants which generally have very similar menus. The food is generally quite flavorful. Most dishes are made with a substantial variety of vegetables and protein.

The menu varies from one restaurant in the chain to the next, and that is a good thing. The menu at this particular Loving Hut is skewed very much towards starches. The bulk of all dishes they serve is either bread, rice or potatoes. Many dishes are sandwiches, big on bread but skimping on the contents. Others are large quantities of noodles with an insufficient quantity of stuff mixed with them. Even the "Crumbed sensation" appetizer, a yam flour dish that we love at other Loving Huts, is here (and unlike the others) wrapped in a pastry shell and you taste the pastry rather than the contents.

This is the closest vegetarian restaurant to our house, and you'd think we'd be eating there all the time, but we don't. We've been there three or four times since opening, and each time we are reminded as to why it's been such a long time.

Pros: friendly staff, great location
Cons: Food is too starchy
saysuan
saysuan

Loving Hut

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2013

Great to have a vegan restaurant but I just don't like the cultish atmosphere of the place. The one in Milpitas had a huge flat screen TV showing animal slaughter. Even if I'm not eating a slab of dead animal flesh, I would prefer not to see this stuff. The one in Palo Alto has friendly staff, very willing to please, I just wish it wasn't part of the Supreme Master Chiang chain.

Pros: Friendly staff, Decent prices, OK food
Cons: Cult like atmosphere

kpotashner
kpotashner

Delish

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

Loving Hut Palo Alto is so good. The staff is so friendly! I love the hummus and pita, the BLT sandwhich, The hummus wrap and the Thai ice teas with bulba! There soups and salads are also so good. Love this place!

Pros: Good Selction, So tasty, Good Staff
nonyabusnus
nonyabusnus

glad its all vegan

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2012

I love all vegan restaurants & this is the 3rd loving hut we've tried.
Good to order out (as far as decor & atmosphere)
We had the bau hue which was definitly good. & the angel wrap which was tasty but not very much food for 2 people to split, or I don't know but $8 seemed a bit much for the size wraps to me should be arounjd $6 & a to go soup at $9 is pretty steep too. So our bill for 2 items was $19 and it wasw good butv we've had better & might go to the loving hut in san jose @ a mall instead. But no complaints glad its vegan. If I could give 3 1/2 rating I do

Pros: vegan
Cons: expensive case drinks & candybars
anderjenn
anderjenn
  • non-vegetarian

Great Food and Super Friendly Staff!

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

I do normally eat a good deal of dairy and some meat, but right now my partner and I are on a very restricted diet (no processed foods, meat, dairy, gluten, corn, soy, peanuts or tomatoes). When we laid this out for the staff at Loving Hut they said "no problem" and marked up a menu to show what fit our restrictions, and described how they could alter many of their dishes to meet our requirements. Everything was was made fresh for us and tasted awesome!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly, accomodating staff, Bright and clean dining area
Cons: a little pricy, but worth it
earthville
earthville

Excellent organic, vegan place with great variety!

Posted on 07 / 17 / 2010

Wow, this place has hit the sweet spot! The international menu includes some impressive feats of veganization. Everything we had was quite tasty, and it's great to know they use organic ingredients (a point where most other restaurants, veg or not, fail). For those of you who have been to other Loving Hut locations with mostly Asian menus, you may find this one refreshing as it offers a wider variety of cuisine and does it all well. The raw fruit pie was particularly exquisite.

The atmosphere is very casual, cafe-style, and the prices are moderate to slightly above average, but the food is well worth it. Street parking can be hard to find at busy times, but there are paid lots nearby.

Pros: Excellent food, All organic, Great variety
Cons: It's easy to spend a pretty penny, Parking can be a challenge
tristan
tristan

Delicious.

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2009

The food was so good, I even stayed for dessert. I had the Guru's Curry, a Thai Pearl Tea, and vegan cheesecake. I'd have tried something else off the menu had I not been so totally (but pleasantly) stuffed.

May I say how nice it is not only to visit a place that's not only 100% vegan, but one where you have some variety in the menu. I am really hoping they open up more locations.

Pros: Great Food, 100% Vegan & Organic
vegan_mum
vegan_mum

all organic, all vegan cafe

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2008

The food's tasty, and it's such a luxury not having to think at all about whether some item has dairy or pesticide-laden grapes or something nasty lurking in it. Our family enjoys the avocado BLT, shepherd's pie, guru's curry, seven seas rice, spring rolls, and creamy potato soup. We've heard from other vegan friends that their pearl teas, muffins and desserts are terrific. Our only real gripe is that we'd like the food to be fresher (apparently their lease doesn't allow a full-sized kitchen, so they rely a lot on the microwave).

Pros: all organic and all vegan, tasty food
Cons: large TV, fluorescent lights, food could be fresher
philjdomm
philjdomm

FastFood Fresh

Posted on 11 / 18 / 2008

most are pre-made deli style with clean contemporary seating.
fresh taro bubble tea!

SusanaFung
SusanaFung

I love it!!

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2008

Food is DELICIOUS! You can't tell it's vegan. Everything is ORGANIC, the place is clean, bright, simple yet elegant. What else can I ask for? I just LOVE it!

Pros: Excellent food , Healthy & delicious, vegan & organic
aielywang
aielywang

Loving Hut in Palo Alto, CA

Posted on 10 / 28 / 2008

It was such an exciting news to find a pure vegetarian place on University Ave or Palo Alto downtown, not to mention that the Cafe is purely "organic vegan". I no longer need to ask if the ingredients are animal free. It's a great experience to dine in such a place.
I have tried various selections, Fresh Spring Rolls, Crumbed Sensation (deep fried shrimp-like starter), soups (changes every few days), Heavenly Salad (wonderful dressing), Raw Fettuccine (a brilliant raw salad dish made with Celery Root shaped as fettuccine with delicous dressing); sandwiches - Avocado BLT and Pesto Divine; Shepherd's Pie; Fresh Fruit Muffin (the best Muffine I have ever had), and various flavored Pearl Teas. I have been very impressed with every dishes, the side dish/salads, such as Pasta Salad, and many others, everything is delicious.
The Cafe is beautifully decorated with a peaceful and loving atmosphere. They are conscious about global warming and uses bio-degradable utensils and containers.
Even if you are not a vegetarian, you have to try this Loving Hut Organic Vegan Cafe.

Pros: Excellent food, helthy cuisine, good value

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Loving Hut - Palo Alto: