Formerly Peking Palace and in early 2011 became an official branch of Loving Hut, an international chain of vegan food restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. Serving food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and more. Each location is individually owned and operated. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Western, Juice bar, Take-out, Delivery

First Review by Nickysr
anianadia
anianadia

Great lunch place.

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2014

Came here bc I was in the area, there were many delicious things in the buffet and since everything is vegan it was a real treat! I would definitely go back if I was in the area. The service wasn't amazing but I could live with that.

Pros: everything is vegan!
Cons: service wasn't amazing
Veggi6
Veggi6

Favourite restaurant

5 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2014

There has been consistently delicious food every one of the many times we have been here.

elrujo
elrujo

GREAT BUFFET DURING LUNCHTIME

4 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

come here during lunch and u can have good food and loads of it and u do not pay too much for it

also the people r very friendly

Pros: great buffet, good desserts
iamere
iamere

hmmm... i want to say only good things, but....

3 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of loving hut. I've eaten at plenty of their establishments in a number of different countries. I respect what they do and what they stand for. Generally, they are a really good find.
However, i kind of left this one feeling a little disheartened. If there is one thing that really gets my goat, it's tiny portions of food, at large prices, when I'm really hungry. It defeats the object, walking away still hungry. I complained to the staff that the main portion was smaller than what i consider to be a starter. I'm not being greedy, but when I'm hungry, i like to eat a fair sized portion of food.

So, the food was good, it was too small a portion, and over what i like to pay.

Pros: good food, plenty of choice, easy to find
Cons: too expensive, portions way too small for my liking
saramarshall
saramarshall

Huge variety of great vegan food

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

I've really enjoyed eating at several Loving Huts and finally got to try the London one this week (their opening hours are a bit sporadic and they're not open during the day on weekends). It was certainly worth the wait. The chicken satay sticks were very tasty as was the braised aubergine and steamed dumplings. I'd been intrigued by the fish and chips for ages which was nice but slightly odd for my tastes. The menu is huge so I'd try other things next time, and there will be a next time. There's great variety for those who prefer mock meats or fresh vegetable dishes. I was too full for dessert this time unfortunately.

Pros: Great food, Variety, Friendly
Cons: Opening times
emzie1983
emzie1983

Huge variety of tasty food!

4 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2013

We went as a group of 6 people and ordered an enormous amount of food, which arrived really quickly. There was an impressive variety of food available that even kept the meat eaters of our group happy.

We chose a selection of fake meats, tofu and vegetable dishes. Although I wasn't personally a fan of a lot of the fake meat (although the teriyaki beef was pretty tasty!!), it was great to have the option as i've found it's not easily available.

My favourites dishes were the veg and crispy noodles, yellow bean and cashew nut tofu, sizzling tofu in black bean sauce, but everything we tried was good.

The food was served really quickly, although I wouldn't say the service was the best ever-we had trouble ordering more drinks and getting a top up on water, despite the restaurant not being that busy.

There was a lot more on the menu that sounded great but we were just too full to try-I will definitely be going back! I would also recommend to others, particularly vegetarians and vegans, but I also think meat eaters will be surprised by the variety and quality of food.

Pros: Great selection, Good value, Really tasty food!
Cons: Not the best service, Small restaurant
childchr
childchr

Wonderful

5 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

This is by far my favorite vegetarian/vegan restaurant in the DC area. The wonton soup is to die for! Plus they have vegan baked goods and lots of frozen items you can take home with you.

houtandhout
houtandhout

LOL

4 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2013

I'm sorry but these lot have the tastiest vegan burgers around, and I've been to Mildreds. So simple, it tastes the realest with out being "over meaty" in flavour. The staff are the most enthusiastic as well, this must be because they do it out of pure compassion and not for money.

I've eaten here as a meat eater, a vegetarian, and as a vegan. I do have one problem with this place, and that is it looks horrible inside like a tiled kitchen. This was quite a while ago maybe they changed it, this is my only niggle which I wish they sort out if they have not done so already.

Pros: Quick and cheap meals , Happy staff , Best vegan burgers in town
Cons: Interior decor needed
Vegan Chick
Vegan Chick

Loving Hut

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Delish Heavenly Food of Loving Hut, vegan restos, everywhere in the world!!!Also here!
Did you know there's a Loving Hut Pension in Austria?

Joloco
Joloco

Great stuff!

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

We're addicted to this place, though we're trying to restrict our visits to one per week or less, it's difficult!

What's not to like? Friendly staff, extensive all-vegan menu, tasty food, large portions...

We're slowly working our way through everything on the menu (although the drink choice stuck at the roasted coconut juice - it's delicious!)

Lots of Chinese restaurant favourites, but all vegan. Take carnivore friends here, they won't be disappointed.

Pros: extensive menu, tasty food, friendly staff
Theodoro
Theodoro

Feel at home there.

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2012

Everything there is nice. food, delicious. staff, soooo kind and friendly. I love them. The place is quiet, beatifully decorated. The price is fair. all you can eat buffet for non-expensive price.

Pros: delicious, generous food, kind, friendly staff, near tube station
Cons: nothing, none, no cons
Amy1274
Amy1274

Amazing value buffet

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2012

I can't speak for others in the chain, but this is a real hidden gem. As well as a lunch menu, there is an all-you-can-eat buffet with several high-quality vegan options (including vegan "prawn" toast, chilli, samosas, potato-cakes - something for most tastes), and you can buy burgers etc to take home and freeze or order large cakes for parties. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable about veganism, and offer loyalty cards. Animal rights videos are often played quietly, which are interesting but do not distract from conversation.

Pros: choice, price, location
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Variable vegan chinese.

3 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2012

Good to be able to eat from a whole chinese menu without fear. I am a sucker for the crispy 'chicken' balls. There is a very extensive menu with substitute meats that will be familiar to Loving Hut franchise patrons. Some of the dishes are pretty average, and it is not especially cheap. They were vague about gluten free options, but did try hard to accomodate.

Pros: Extensive menu., Helpful staff.
Cons: Variable quality.
bigbunny
bigbunny

GORGEOUS! And I used to eat there every week ...

5 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2012

Lovely staff. Great food. Pure joy that I lived around the corner (back when it was called Peking Palace). Not one bad thing to say ... (-:

Pros: Tasty food, Charming staff, Convenient location
Cons: NONE!
Jayjazz
Jayjazz

fantastic treat

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2010

visited here with 4 non veggies we all enjoyed it amazing choice it took forever for us to decide and it was amazing as a vegan to be able to try evryone elses food. The crispy shredded chicken started was by fat the best. The mock prawns were a bit tatseless but good to try the fish steak was quite an overpowering fish taste which I wasn't keen on the mock duck was also a biut slimy for me but the sizzling hot sauces were soo good my kung po was too sweet for me but thats personal taste. The choice is amazig all my non veggie lot loved it. Only downfall really was no alcohol and you can't take your own. Felt a little greasy afterwards but I fi9nd that pretty common in Chineese food. Will def visit again

Pros: vast choice, delicious mock meats, good price
Cons: no alcohol
lysi
lysi

Spoilt for choice OR reason to visit again

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2010

Peking Palace offers one of the widest ranges of mock meats and mock fish I've seen in London - but also good selection of vegetable and tofu dishes which is great for those of us who don't necessarily want to or are comfortable with mock meat/fish.
As other reviewers have mentioned, they offer a free delivery service to local address (takes approx 30-45 min from placing order) or you can ring in your order and pick up or eat in.
Archway is the closest station. Alternatively, you can take the overland to Upper Holloway or Piccadilly Line to Holloway Road and then take the number 43 or 271 bus towards Archway.
Our favourites include: Vegetable or Tofu Satay (starter), Sesame Veggie Chicken, Ma Po Tofu, Lo Hon Vegetables, Crispy Noodles with Tofu in Black Bean Sauce(mains.
Unfortunately, the desserts are mainly vegetarian, not vegan and not made by the restaurant.
Then again, I hardly ever have room as the portion sizes are good which makes this place very good value for money.

Pros: Wide range of dishes, Good value for money, Offers eat in / take-away /free delivery
Cons: Hardly any vegan dessert choices
  • lysi lysi

Thanks for the update veganlondon.

I went to check out the changed dessert menu and am most impressed. The homemade indulgent chocolate cake and toffee banana with Swedish Glace ice cream were delicious! They now also do vegan milkshakes.

• veganlondon veganlondon

All the desserts are now vegan. They still have one honey drink on the menu and one of the main dishes has an option to have a butter sauce. So 99% vegan.

Eugene Nyunt.
Eugene Nyunt.

A great place for a quiet chat and delicious food.

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2009

Excellent food for one thing, but also a very nice setting to complement the tasty food served - the softly furnished restaurant in no way resembles the rubbish around nearby Junction Road nor the equally appalling mess lower down Holloway Road. I went with a relative and she commented how exquisite the food was, adding how difficult it was to find a quality vegetarian restaurant. Apparently they also do a take out service and the crowd on the Sunday we went including a middle-aged female pair, a group of possibly east Africans celebrating a kid's birthday, and an Afro-Caribbean bloke waiting for a take out order.
The vegetables were nicely done, with me ordering a mock duck dish. The latter was truly exceptional; light in colour plus tender in texture, it was quite unlike my usual experience of "mock duck" in a steel can from London's Chinatown which I've found - although palatable - to be a tad overprocessed. The music - maybe Vietnamese - added to the chilled ambience.

Pros: Delicious food., Great service., Fantastic ambience.
Cons: Located in a chicken area., A church nearby., On a sometimes busy main road.
Jemima
Jemima

Best crispy noodles in London!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2009

From Archway tube station cross the road at the lights and head down Holloway Rd. It is about a minute or two away on the right.
It is a small restaurant with pleasant yellow lighting. There is a big flat screen television on the rear wall. Not sure if they always broadcast vegetarian propaganda or if it is just that swine flue was breaking out at this time that it was on.
There is definitely something in this restaurant that made me sneeze. It was the same experience I have when I get hay fever and at first I thought it might be from the flowers around the room. It turned out they were all fake but they may have held dust which caused me to sneeze anyway.
Nevertheless this is the first Chinese place in London I've been in that had the cat with the raised right hand as well as the one with the raised left hand so I'm sure they are trying to make healthy food as well as make money!

They serve prawn crackers to start. Everything they serve comes on stands with candles inside them to keep food warm. Also they put fake flowers on some dishes, like a garnish which I wish they would omit as it can spread germs.
I ordered chicken and sweet corn soup to start. It was a bit on the gluggy side but the taste was perfect. For main I had crispy noodles with vegetables. The noodles were just right and the sauce was also perfect with lots of fresh, varied vegetables. I sort of wished the serving was bigger because it was so yummy! The main on its own is about the size of a light meal.
I had Pu'er tea.

At the end they give you a moist napkin which is the first time in ages I have got one at a Chinese restaurant. I thought nowhere did that anymore!
Service was pleasant and we were given vegetarian magazines on leaving.

At about ₤10 for two delicious courses, beverage and service it was great value.

I have been searching for good crispy noodles for ages and now I won't have to get so so ones at Hing Loong or Phoenix Palace. It will be difficult to pass through Archway without stopping here.. It's got to be more than a four for me.

Pros: Great crispy noodles, great menu, cheap
Cons: Made me sneeze, fake flowers!!!
kool_kitchen
kool_kitchen

Great mock-meat dishes

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

This is our favourite mock-meat place in London, one of the best things about it being that it does free deliveries, whereas very few other veggie places deliver. When in London we eat here once a week. Some of the best dishes include the Chicken drumsticks, Chicken balls, Mongolian lamb pancakes, Chicken & Asparagus, Beef in black pepper sauce and Chicken with crispy noodles. The chilli sauce and chilli oil are fantastic and not too sweet. Peking Palace also offers very good value for money.

Pros: Great mock-meat dishes, Reasonably priced, Free delivery
Nickysr
Nickysr

Vegan Oasis in Holloway Road!

4 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2007

Great selection of mock meats in this Chinese style restaurant. The chicken drumsticks are amazing and the array of dishes is huge. The dessert menu is pretty much all dairy which is a shame for us vegans.

Pros: mock meats, vegan, friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut: