Loving Hut - Neubaugurtel

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants inspired by Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and desserts. Non-smoking. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Asian, Vietnamese, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery
Neubaugurtel 38/5 (Buggasse U6, 7th District)
Vienna, Austria 1070
+43-12939182
Closed now

Mon 4:30pm-9:00pm, Wed-Thu 4:30pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 4:30pm-9:00pm

• Reservations required
  • Cash only

First Review by wow517
LexaMartin
LexaMartin

Master Ching Hai is a vegan genius

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2015

The boyfriend and I decided to have dinner out and opted for Loving Hut as it is completely vegan and has gluten-free options. This Loving Hut has a strikingly odd atmosphere, which you'll understand when you arrive. The meals were delicious and filling, ranging from noodle dishes to burgers. The young waiter was timid, but makes an incredible caramel latte which followed the meal perfectly. Just be wary of the opening times before arrival as they are split in between the afternoon and evening.

Pros: Gluten-free options, moderate sized meals.
Cons: None.
DontEatYourFriends!
DontEatYourFriends!

my first choice when i want to eat out

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2015

I always enjoy eating at Loving Hut Neubaugürtel.
The location is not pretty but well connected to subway and tram lines and close to Westbahnhof, a big railway station.
There are some outdoor tables in a small back yard. Really cozy. Inside is a little less cozy but still ok. Nice staff. Great menu. Yummy burgers, rolls, rice, noodles, vegetables, fake meat. Homemade lemonades. They also have a fridge with vegan basics for sale. Unfortunately the opening hours are pretty limited. So, if you want to go there first consult the web site. Also, the garden is only open in summer. Prices are ok, I think. Only thing I disliked was the vegan döner. Costs 5 € something but only a few tiny bits of veggie meat inside the bread.

Pros: good food, sensational burgers, nice little garden (in summer), rich menu
Cons: restrictive opening hours, restaurant not as nice as garden, some dishes offer poor value for money
Misanthropia
Misanthropia

A favorite in Vienna.

Posted on 01 / 07 / 2015

The restaurant is small and simple, light, friendly, and easy to find. The waiter is a bit weird, but in a good way, he is a very friendly and polite person that makes your meal even more enjoyable. Out back there is a very peacefull little garden with ivy and a fountain, which easily leads you to forget that you are in the midlle of a metropolis. The burgers are tasty, I specifically recomend the Texas BBQ, and the vegan Spaghetti Carbonara are recommendable, or the vegan Wiener Schitzel. What is somehow sad however is that many of the main dishes are simpy asian, lacking creativity. The most amazing thing about this establishment, however, is their deserts. I have never tried a piece of any of ther cake and not wanted to eat all of it. The choices allways vary, but If they offer the vegan cheescake, try it, it is the most amazing thing on planet earth! When Kate Moss said "Nothing ever tastes as good as skinny feels", she clearly hasn't tried this cake! They are also pet friendly, so feel free to bring your pets along. The bigest problem with this restaurant is that it only has very limited opening hours, so it is often very full. Also, as in all loving huts, you have a typical cult aura about it, although definitely not as much as others. Anyways, CHEESCAKE!

Pros: Great food and amazing deserts., Beautiful garden., Cheap prices.
Cons: A bit of a cult atmosphere., Short opening hours.

Ryecatcher
Ryecatcher

Only few restrictions

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2014

Highly recommended venue!
Closely located to the Westbahnhof Loving Hut Neubaugürtel is a lovely place offering quite a lot very tasty vegan dishes. This is a kind of restaurant you should take all of those to who claim that there are no tasty vegan dishes. If they won't be disabused here, there is only a small chance they would be elsewhere.
I have eaten three main dishes until now and all of them were great. In regard to the predecessor reviewers: This awesomeness may not apply to all their main dishes, but as far as I am concerned so far, it does. Moreover, the cappuccino is excellent! Loving Hut is almost the only place I drink cappuccino instead of black coffee. The range of cakes is notable. (Whole) Cakes can also be ordered in advance.
There are some downsides though. The cakes (at least some of them) seem a little bit too sticky and too sweet. Now and then they are overchallenged by the press of guests (which leads to waiting times aso.). The interior could be nicer. The toilet too. Probably the thing that I dislike most are the pseudo cult-like flyers lying out; as soon as there is an esoteric touch somewhere I start to dislike it.
The opening times are a bit tricky, be aware of that.
Vegan dog and cat food is also being provided.

Pros: delcious food, helpful staff, cakes all over the place
Cons: waiting times, distinct opening times, esoteric touch
skimmia
skimmia

fine vegan food

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

I love the Curries, also the burgers are very good. The Mango Lassi is delicious!

Pros: all vegan
Cons: indorr not such a nice place
yatil
yatil

I wish I could say it’s mediocre

Posted on 05 / 10 / 2014

Unfortunately the food was bland. My “Döner Kebab” had nothing to do with one, it even contained broccoli and peas. There are many better options around.

Pros: smoke free beer garden
Cons: waiting time, food
balou
balou

yummmm

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

I was at loving hut in the usa and melbourne ... this was the first loving hut that had not only asian based food . We where 5 people and all enjoyed the food !I am the only vegan in the family .
will go there again when I am home , just living in australia at the moment .

Pros: lot of diff food choices
Cons: not enough tables
hungryherbivores
hungryherbivores

Really great cake!

Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

The restaurant in and of itself was wonderful. There was nice indoor seating but we sat outside in the beautiful garden. We ate loads of good food! In total we ate miso soup, veggie wrap rolls, another type of roll, burgers and cake. Everything was delicious. I was very satisfied with my choice of the sunshine burger. The accompanying fries though were nothing special though. For desert I ate the vanilla fruit cake. The icing was very light and the cake was full of flavor. It was so good that I ordered a slice of chocolate cake for later. That too was delicious! I would recommend this Loving Hut for anyone looking for great food served in a pleasant atmosphere.

bekindvegan
bekindvegan

loved it

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

I have been here multiple times I cannot say one entree is better than the other because I have enjoyed them all. I've tried such as their kung pao, variety of burgers and mongolian bbq. Even my most carnivorous of friends enjoy the menu that shows how important sauces and cooking skills are making something like tofu or wheat germ taste like true kung pao, real burger or other meat-infused food.

I recommend giving it a try, the interior is somewhat small, but the summer garden is beautiful. They also offer a vegan cheesecake ( not every day) which is almost too good to believe that it is vegan at all.

JasminV
JasminV

Mixed feelings ...

Posted on 06 / 28 / 2013

Some of the food is good, some is not
I like their big variety of vegan cakes
The salad and juice bar doesn't look really good, so I wouldn't order anything of it.

Mostly you have to wait just too long.

Pros: vegan cakes, friendly staff
Cons: waiting time
martina1988
martina1988

Won't go there again

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

I would not go there again, the next time I'm in Vienna I'll visit the Loving Hut Favoritenstraße again.

The burger are in Favoritenstraße thouand times better, they were very greasy in Neubaugürtel and there was a strange smell in the whole restaurant. At first I did'nt want to stay because of the strange smell but then we realised that there is a garden on the back and it was a little bit nicer than inside (and the strange smell wasn't as bad).

There was only one waiter and so we had to wait very long for everything.

We hab to pay extra € 0,50 for cheese for the burger. And the cheese wasn't good.
I'll definately won't go there again.

Cons: strange smell, had to wait very long, greasy burger (even the bun was greasy)
ojemine
ojemine

ich liebe sekten

Posted on 06 / 16 / 2013

ich liebe sekten und sektenarbeit. ich glaube, andere leute gehen in den zoo, wenn sie exotisches, ihrer welt fremdes, sehen wollen, ich bin veganerin, also geh ich zu den supreme mastertypen. kung pao und dieses bbq-zeug sind fantastisch, echt sehr lecker. der cafe mit dem karamellsirup ist auch toll. die einrichtung is sehr ikea und teilweise auch schon ziemlich dreckig, aber der fernseher mit den delfinen drin und der dezenten zurechtweisung macht alles wieder gut. der gastgarten ist schön, aber nix für leute die grösser sind als ca 170cm, obwohl, im sitzen eigentlich eh egal.

Pros: gutes essen, teilweise billig, supreme master tv
Morgenstern72
Morgenstern72

Mixed Feelings

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2013

I was a huge fan of the food here, until they started to use one ingredient in almost all dishes. It tastes a little bit like burned plastic, as if a plastic wrap was heated with the food.

It started with two dishes (Mongolian Barbecue and Cinnamon Buns) and last time it was almost everywhere. It's not only me that get's the strange taste! It's not happening at Loving Hut 10. district and when I told the waiter twice, he told me, the cook is furious since they only use highest quality ingredients. And he refused to taste it. Not the answer I was hoping for.

Without it, I would have loved to give 4 stars. The Ocean Wing Plate was great, burgers are very good (still) and the baked ice is the best dessert ever. Good thing is, most of it you get at the second Loving Hut, so try and compare.

Pros: Many dishes, Great desserts, Outdoor garden dining area
Cons: Strange taste in many dishes since 2012, Waiter can be a little stressed, It's part of a (harmless) sect
  • Yoyo Yoyo

Maybe you can ask them to cook without wok hei? they probably have a super power wok. wok hei is not a food ingredient, it is a cooking method as far as know. maybe you don't like that smokey taste but i do, not all the Chinese restaurant in overseas can make wok hei,i love it especially in noodle dishes and fried rice. I googled "wok hei" : To impart wok hei, the food must be cooked in a seasoned wok over a high flame while being stirred and tossed quickly.[2] For this reason it requires cooking over an open flame rather than an electric stove. In practical terms, the flavour imparted by chemical compounds results from caramelization, Maillard reactions, and the partial combustion of oil that come from charring and searing of the food at very high heat in excess of 200 °C (392 °F).[8] Aside from flavour, there is also the texture of the cooked items and smell involved that describes wok hei.

• Morgenstern72 Morgenstern72

Maybe. But since the taste was first in sweets I don't think that's the reason.

turion
turion

Excellent

Posted on 01 / 09 / 2013

I ate here with my girlfriend twice and there was not a single disappointment. I don't understand what some previous reviewers had against the burgers. Mine were really excellent. I especially recommend the spicy burger.
Make sure you try the "fried icecream" and one of the protein shakes!

Pros: excellent food, friendly
SimonaSignorelli
SimonaSignorelli

nice and cheap vegan cafe

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

You can find soups, salads, main dishes i.e. tacos and noodles, many sandwiches, good desserts. Besides you can find "vegan world" shop that offers vegan food also for dogs.
Another cafe of the same chain is in favoritengasse

Pros: good food, good value, nice staff
Clafoutis
Clafoutis

Amazing...

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

My brother and I were in Vienna for two and a half days and ate almost all of our meals here! The waiter was so friendly, and seemed genuinely delighted to meet other veggie/vegans. We ate outside in the patio area each time, even when it rained thanks to a gazebo, and ordered take out once to take to our hostel. The food was always delicious, varying from peanut satay noodles, soya chicken and cheese burger with fries, fried tofu and rice, soya schnitzel and potato salad (my favourite - generous lashings of vegan mayonnaise) and a tasty veg curry and rice. We also had the tiramisu vegan milkshakes - also delicious! I couldn't recommend this place more, for both the food and staff.

Pros: Vegan tiramisu milkshake :), Great staff, Vegan potato salad

lizoox
lizoox

mixed emotions

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

First of all, the waiter was very nice :)
I ate a burger with fries. They weren't very good... They were banal and bit too greasy in my opinion. The bun was plain white. Then, I also tried the soup of the day, which was'nt good either. Had an industrial taste. For desert, I tried a cake, which was, surprisingly, awesome (and i'm not a big fn of sweets). It wasn't too heavy, nor too sweet and was absolutely yammi!
There's also a vegan store next to the restaurant (selling mainly food, but not only), which I didn't have a chance to visit.

Pros: very good cake, friendly staff
Cons: mediocre food
xeasyx
xeasyx

Very nice burgers, good meals

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

Many different burgers (all fakemeat) incl fries about 5 EUR.
Good takeaway food (hot dog, falafel, kebap)
Other meals are okay, but just a little range of non-fakemeat meals.
Many different drinks (smoothies, coffee, etc)

Has got a small shop behind their restaurant with pastry, fakemeat, soya, oats milk etc

Pros: delicious burgers, good takeaway food, many drinks
Cons: little non-fakemeat food
33rpm
33rpm

Quite a surprise for me

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2011

I did not know what to expect of it when i entered the restaurant.

There were no other people inside, though it was lunchtime. You order at the disk, where you got the choice between lots international vegan dishes and also fake-meat like Wiener Schnitzel.

They also have a small outside-area at the back of the building which is nice to sit in.
The taste of the food was very awesome, spicy and delicious.
I had some selfmade ice-cream for dessert, that was very good as well.

Prices are very adequate and staff is kind.

If you need some good vegan meal in Vienna, you can do nothing wrong here =)
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 13, 2010

Pros: Tasty food, Cheap prices, All Vegan
Cons: A little inconspicuous
Pigsaresmart
Pigsaresmart

Okay but lacks ambience

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2011

I was lucky with my curry (you can never go wrong with curry!) - but my friend wasn't: her noodles on peanut-sauce were very sweet and the presentation looked more like porridge.
I found it annoying that the TV was on all the time with the same international vegan show of their organisation.
The waiter was correct but he hid his joy to work there VERY WELL ;-)
Nice bright interior and certainly a place of kindness - but there could be a little more joy in it.

what2eat
what2eat

ice creams & cakes!

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2010

i was pretty impressed by their vegan cheese burger, chocolate coffee cake & cheese cake! and vegan ice creams - hazlnut, chocochip and chocolate with fried bnana - were so good!! they have nice background music in the summer garden, my friend and i really enjoyed our time there.

hundert
hundert

too empty!

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

this place felt a bit weird at the beginning, because it was completely emtpy (7pm!). but in fact it should be crowded, because there is a large vegan menu. It's quite based on "fake foods" like e.g. Wiener Schnitzel and a lot of international classics. All tested dished were very good, some a little fatty (of course the Schnitzel!).

English isn't a problem, in fact it was easier than talking german to the staff :)

Pros: international classics in vegan style, flyers and books on veganism, vegan chocolate bars to go
Cons: more based on fake food than health food
wow517
wow517

fantastic place!!!

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2009

The food was delicious with good price. I had the Cheese burger with mango lassi which was so good!! And tried some of kung pao and gurus curry of friends, it was delicious. I will definitely come back again!!! :)

Pros: delicious food, good value, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Neubaugurtel: