Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of supreme master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Serves all vegan food, non-alcoholic drinks, and desserts. Opened Apr 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Asian, International, Take-out

Tomvegan
Tomvegan

Loving Hut Maastricht, the 10th of January 2014

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

The place was easy to find by car, not very far from the central station of Maastricht. It had a Asian vibe, but could have been a lot cosier in our opinion. There were a lot of options on the menu, which can be good or can be bad. The host was friendly though, and the dishes were served in a perfect pace; not too slow, not too fast. The music was ok, Chinese music we never heard before ;-)

We had tea the entire meal.
1. Our first course was soup. I ordered the spicy and sour soup, the rest had lentil soup. The portion size was small/medium and we all liked what we ordered.
2. Our second course was not something we could choose ourselves; it were 5 Vietnamese spring rolls with sweet and sour sauce. Very nice as always, but there was very little sauce. The portion size was again small/medium.
3. Then it was time for the main course. I forgot what our dishes were called, but we tried from each other. Everything was of course plant based, but our dishes did not taste alike. There was also tempeh, tofu, fake chicken, fake duck, fake shrimps and fake pork in there, which made everything even more interesting. I noticed soy sauce and sateh sauce in the dishes as well, two of my favourites! All dishes were served with white rice. The portion size was medium.
4. Our fourth course was desert, which was either soy ice cream or chocolate mousse. One of our dinner guests asked if it was possible to get 50/50. This was not possible, kind of weird. I had the ice cream, the rest had the mousse. The dish size was small.
5. Our last course coffee/something else to drink. 2 of us had tea, 1 of us had coffee and the fourth person skipped this course.

It was a nice experience, especially if you are looking for a vegan Asian place. It is something completely different from your average vegan restaurant where there is usually a completely different atmosphere. The atmosphere at Loving Hut Maastricht is more of an Asian place than something else.

Food: 9/10
Service: 9/10
Decor: 6/10
Cost: 8/10
Vegan-friendly: 10/10
Vegan bodybuilder-friendly: 8/10

Pros: Food, Service, All vegan
Cons: Decor
Gudrun
Gudrun

Nice place, good food

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

A nice place with a surprisingly huge menu within walking distance from the central station.

So far I have been here only once, but I hope to get back some day to try more of their food.

I had a wonton soup as a starter which I personally did not like too much since the wontons were very soft, or rather even disintegrating and had no distinct taste. I also shared some mini spring rolls with a friend, those were nice and the sauce was delicious. As main course I had tempeh with vegetables, it was good although it had quite an overload of tempeh and not so many vegetables - as a vegetable fan my personal preference would have been the other way round...

My friend had a selection of satay with peanut sauce, "babi panggang" and stir-fried vegetables with tofu which was all very good. The portions were big and when the waiter noticed we won't make it all he brought us doggie bags which was quite nice. We also had yummy freshly made melon juice and a wonderful "dame blanche" (ice cream with chocolate sauce and whipped cream) as dessert, of course all-vegan.

The service was very nice and helpful.

Pros: good food, friendly service, huge variety
Jeroen
Jeroen

Been here many times

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2013

I read the other reviews first and they are true. The loving hut in Maastricht used to be an ordinary chinese restaurant(previous owner), and the atmosphere in this place when you look at the walls and tables and lighting... it is not that cozy.

There are some vegan messages on the walls and Dr Neal Barnard is also on there. In the entrance there are many leaflets. From all kinds of animal related issues, and yes also the Supreme master. The Loving Hut is related to that Supreme Master, so I would recommend to just look through it. She is someone who also spreads the vegan message, so I have no problem with that.

The staff is very friendly. Very nice people. Only the head waiter speaks dutch. Other staff speak only english.

The menu is pretty varied. Lots to choose from. I've been there several times with non vegans, and they all liked it.

It is mostly chinese food, so if you are vegan and you like chinese food. Give Loving Hut in Maastricht a visit.

Pros: Good prices and nice staff, Extra rice/nasi/bami is free of charge, Wonderful sate and Babi pangang
Cons: Not enough variety in tastes., Not so cozy atmosphere, Too much oil

VeganTrav
VeganTrav

Awesome Chinese Food!

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2013

Lovely place, extremely kind staff and delicious Chinese vegan food. Start with a fresh fresh melon juice, try dumplings soup and the sweet and sour veggie-pork, their sweet and sour sauce is just the best!

Pros: delicious, inexpensive, very friendly
Qtea
Qtea

Great variety of foods

Posted on 05 / 31 / 2013

Loving Hut Maastricht has many dishes that you don't see very often. They use fake chicken, fake eel, fake shrimp and many other interesting ingredients. Also the vegetables and noodles were good.

This restaurant makes it worth traveling to Maastricht even from distances.

Pros: large variety of dishes, cool fakemeats, fresh juices
Cons: atmosphere was kind of healthy
Qternocq
Qternocq

Nice restaurant

Posted on 05 / 20 / 2013

We had some good Fried Noodles and Fried Rice, but the sauces were very sour. I ordered Babi Pankang, and I am aware of the fact that this is a sour-sweet sauce, but the obvious lemon taste was too strong and ruined the dish. I scraped all of the sauce and used a lot of noodles and actually enjoyed my diner very much (the noodles are excellent!), but I would usually use a lot of sauce. The same goed for the sate my girlfriend ordered. The veggies and chicken were very good, but there was such a strong lemon flavor in the sauce that we had to eat around it. We told the waiter, so I hope they change the recipe.

Overall: great appitizer (dumpling), great fresh juices, great fried rice and noodles, great veggies, but bad sauces.

Pros: Price, Veggies, Meat imitators
Cons: Sauce tasted like lemons
Sebastiaan
Sebastiaan

Happy with Loving Hut

Posted on 01 / 05 / 2013

Having visited a number of Loving Hut restaurants before I was happy, that a Loving Hut was opened in my own country, The Netherlands. So, though Maastricht is not close to where I live, I dicided to make a trip to Maastricht to have a dinner at Loving Hut. The restaurant is not in the city centre, but from the station you can walk to it in about 15 minutes. The restaurant is quite big, the decor is decent and pleasant. The menu is quite extensive. Mostly Asian food, but you have also other options. As it is difficult to choose we took the daily menu, which was a good choise. Can recommend the place. Staff is correct, we liked the food, and the prices are reasonable.

DT
DT

Not really loving it

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

When we went out for dinner last evening, we were hoping to see a Loving Hut like the one in Leuven, Belgium (trendy, bright, really good food,...). It turned out completely different.

This Loving Hut-restaurant basically is a Chinese restaurant. The dishes are all vegan and all, but the names made us hesitate a bit: veggie duck? veggie shrimp?. If there's seitan in the dish, call it seitan! Not veggie duck.

The cook really used a lot! of oil on each dish (each dish: also the bowls of nasi and bami). I don't know if that's common for Chinese cuisine, but we didn't appreciate it that much. It was also apparant that the two main courses we ordered originated from the same base dish: they shared most of the same vegetables, the sauce, and - more importantly - they shared the taste: kind of sweet, not really seasoned, except for the MSG probably. We were hoping for something spicey here, something sweet there,... we ended up with something that tasted the same all over.

I'll be balancing out this negative review by reviewing the Loving Hut in Leuven the next time we are in the neighbourhood, because the food over there is great.

Pros: Cheap, Large portions, Lots of dishes
Cons: Dishes tasted the same
ewecs
ewecs

Loving Hut

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

i thought the food wasn't too great. They have a lot of things on the menu, which are not expensive at all, but i had a pizza, which reminded me of cheap pizza's from the supermarket.
The place itself looks pretty nice and it's pretty calm in there (which was also a bit strange... when i came in there were 3 people watching at me from behind the counter......hmm)
Also, i didn't really appreciate the supreme master ching-hai overdose and i also don't care about the fact that jesus was a vegan.
[edited by staff - see tos]

Pros: good value, quiet
Cons: ching-hai propaganda, strange atmosphere
Vegan Chick
Vegan Chick

Vegan Restaurant Loving Hut, Maastricht

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

Wooohooo:D At last I can dine out and eat 100% animal-free/cruelty-free food! This place is our 1st Vegan resto in Holland. I was there last week and me and my friend agreed that the food = super deeeelishhh :D

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Marcelangelo
Marcelangelo

Real Loving Food

Posted on 04 / 29 / 2012

Have been there with two friends, we took 3 main dishes and shared it all, which was a great experience in vegan food !
So many choices on the menu list, that is was even a hard thing to choose. Normally your lucky with one or two dishes being vegan, and now; about,,,, 20 starters, 50 maindishes and several deserts, WOW ! We "ate it all", they are so nice and it was sot tasty. I say ; Try before you die !
Taste the loving atmoshere, incredible and unlike your used to.

Pros: Excellent food, Biological, friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Maastricht: