Loving Hut - Cincinnati

Operating since Mar 2009 and previously named Loving Cafe, this is now part of the international chain of Loving Hut vegan restaurants. Each location is individual family owned and operated. Offers vegan cuisine with a kids' menu plus smoothies, gluten free and raw options. The cafe environment was created using many found, reclaimed, and reused materials. The disposable containers, cups, and utensils provided are biodegradable and/or recyclable. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Asian, Vietnamese, Take-out
6227 Montgomery Rd
Cincinnati, Ohio 45213
513-731-2233

Open Tue-Fri 11am-3pm, 4-7pm, Sat 11am-7pm.

First Review by ohheysusieb
chansen
chansen

My Go To Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2014

This place is fantastic! They have tons of options. You can choose to go standard veggie or try one of the many "meat" and "cheese" options if you want a bit of a change of pace. This is flat out the best vegetarian restaurant in Cincinnati.
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 03, 2014

Pros: Many choice., Fantastic food!
Cons: Atmosphere is a bit underwheling
VeganAlone
VeganAlone

My Go-To Place

4 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

Living in a conservative and conventional area like Cincy, I find Loving Hut is a breath of fresh air. I do not know any other vegans in this city, so when I step into LH, I feel accepted.
I love their food, hands down. The price, the variety, the taste, the quality. Period.
I dislike the space- it's either outside on two tables, several window tables (which are often taken), several bar tables (which are awkwardly placed as they are inches from the front desk and entry), and the cavernous, echo-y, dim back area. I leave reeking of fried oil (which I wouldn't mind if I was to go home and do laundry...). The ease of entering/exiting available parking spots is a bit scary as cars block the view, and Montgomery Road is often busy.
I wish the location were closer to where I live (but that's a personal thing). I'd live there if it were the case.
Basically, it comes down to location, space, and quality of space.

I love, love the positive energy and feel.

I had a coworker (vegetarian) tell me that it's too preachy (bookshelf of vegan articles, books, newspapers, magazines, documentaries; wall quotes; posters of celebrity vegans, etc.). I didn't see it that way; because, well, I'M VEGAN! I understand her point of view, though- why preach to the choir? Well, it's their space, and why not? If you are to get the message out about something that you fiercely believe in, why not in your vegan restaurant? *shrug*

Oh, and their restrooms are always clean and smell divine!

In conclusion: if you're vegan and live in Cincinnati- GO. THERE. Furthermore, if you're vegan on a budget (and want to treat yourself)- it's THE best place to go. The national chains of Tex-Mex food (only acceptable vegan fast food places in the tri-state area): Chipotle, Hot Head, and Qdoba- get really old, really fast.

Pros: Cheap, Extensive, crazy delicious menu, Friendly/well-informed staff
Cons: Weird/limited hours, You leave smelling like a fryer, Inadequate space/quality of space
veggieclaire
veggieclaire

Vegan Heaven

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2013

Extensive vegan menu that will surely satisfy omnivores too.

Pros: inexpesive, extensive vegan menu, yummy food
MissAlanna
MissAlanna

Great place

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I'm a little late with this review, but I definitely remember my visit to Loving Hut. The staff was super friendly and helped me decide what to order. The food was amazing and I'd definitely come back.

Pros: Awesome food, Friendly staff
Cons: Small

Guest
Guest

Eat here!

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2013

We went about 45 minutes out of our way to eat here and it was well worth it! It had a great menu and everything tasted great and it was fast service. Nice atmosphere and fairly kid friendly. We have 2 small children and they had a kids menu for them and some puzzles for them to play with while waiting. The most friendly staff ever! If we ever come through the area again we will be stopping.

Pros: Great good, Friendly staff, Kid friendly
Cons: Limited parking
Foo73Wolf
Foo73Wolf

Fantastic Food!!

5 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2012

I had the Portabella Panini and my husband had the Quinoa Burger. If you like mushrooms then this sandwich is an obvious choice. The service is wonderful and the menu is varied. It is a rare occurrence to walk into a restaurant and be able to truly be able to order "anything" on the menu. Their lemon cake was also wonderful! I highly recommend this place!!

Pros: Food, service, menu
Cons: hours
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

Makes Me Want to Move to Cincinnati

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2012

The Cuisine, the Food, the Tea, the Smoothies, the People, the DESSERTS....m-m-m-m-m - ALL fantastic.

Fabien
Fabien

DELICIOUS

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

The Loving Hut offers superb fixes for my three most frequent cravings: vietnamese food, vegan comfort food, and hyper-wholesome vitamin-packed vegetable glory. Their sandwiches (esp. the American panino and reuben) are divinely satisfying in a greasy, grilled way.

Their salads are fresh, local, and organic, and their almond ginger dressing is perhaps my favorite salad dressing anywhere. They offer loads of fake meat, as they aim to convert the masses, but I don't think this is their strength.

Most triumphant are their Vietnamese dishes: minty summer rolls with a creamy peanut sauce, and wildly scrumptious pho soup. I find that the ambiance varies widely from the front to the back of the cafe; the window tables are lovely luminous, and quiet, whereas those behind the counter are too devoid of artificial light for my taste. Anyway, go and enjoy; the food is excellent. p.s. they are constantly treading the path of veg-burger innovation, with great results, like their quinoa burger and their sunshine burger.

Pros: scrumptious, affordable, great variety
Cons: lotsa propaganda on the walls
Sorriso.capo
Sorriso.capo

Love it - great tasting food & Smoothies!!!!!

5 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2011

My husband & I are vegan and travel quite a bit so to find this place is truly amazing!! Every time we come to Ohio we HAVE to stop in lol!

The food is extremely tasty the wait time is perfect. You will go home satisfied filled and happy. My meat-eater friends gives it two thumbs up.

Wish it were open Sunday and Monday!!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 01, 2011

Pros: Everything is 100% Vegan, Price is good, Clean atmosphere
samanthamuffin
samanthamuffin

So Great!

5 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2011

There is parking around the back, but you have to drive down a really tight driveway to get there. Not a big deal for me and my tiny car, but it might be an issue if you drive a Hummer. You place your order at the register. If you order drinks, it is self serve out of their fridge. There are about 8-10 tables in the back area to dine at. It's a nice atmosphere; much different from the Loving Hut in Chicago.

My husband wasn't hungry, so he got the $2 dumplings. There were 3 of them (2 for him and one for me). They were very good. Small, but the perfect mouthful. I ordered the American Panini. I loved it! It was melt-in-your-mouth yummy goodness. It came with a small side of what was called corn chips, but tortilla chips would be a more accurate description. The sandwich filled me up, so dessert wasn't an option. However, the desserts looked great.

The place was busy, but we were the only table that ate there for the most part. I would definitely go back if I'm in Cincinnati again.

Pros: Delicious, All vegan, Inexpensive
Luv2Veg
Luv2Veg

Loving Hut, Best Veggie Restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2011

I am my 2 teenage daughters love the Loving Hut Restaurant in Cincinnati, OH. We love the wide variety of food choices. There's something for all compassionate eaters, whether just starting on the path to eliminate animal products from their plates or accomplished raw foodists, fruitairians, etc. If just get started on the healthy vegan diet, they have unbelievably scrumptious meatless meat options, not only veggie burgers, but also many (meatless) chick'n dishes, but even vegan seafood such as sushi & coconut shrimp, two of my personal favorites! We also enjoy the portabella panini sandwhich. All their food is our of this world! My oldest daughter is graduating this year & we are planning her graduation party here! They have something everyone will enjoy! Best Restaurant in Cincinnati!!! It's worth the 1/2 drive to us. We absolutely love it! The customer service is divine! The overall general atmosphere eminates such good, positive energy, we hate to leave!!! It's like we can feel the LOVE! No wonder they call it LOVING Hut! We need more of these all around the globe!

Pros: excellent food , friendly service, clean, loving atmosphere
Cons: need more restaurants like this all over
cincyvegan
cincyvegan

Avoid eating here...

2 Posted on 03 / 09 / 2011

I'll be as brief as possible...
Good:
-lots of options
-eclectic menu
-didn't try the deserts, but the raw vegan cheesecake LOOKED good
Bad:
-parking
-area of town
-decor
-they put (vegan) cheese of some kind on EVERYTHING!! If you don't want cheese make sure you ask for no mayo, cole slaw, cream cheese AND vegan cheese or they'll put some combination of each on every sandwhich.
-poor customer service (accused me of not ordering properly when my super cheesy "grilled veggie" sandwhich had cheese on it and, when asked if I wanted "cream cheese" I said no.)
-weird pro vegan propaganda EVERYWHERE!! quotes on the walls, framed pictures of "famous vegans", tv channels tuned to foreign talk shows talking about veganism...very eerie. NOTE TO OWNERS: I'm vegan, which is why I tried your restaurant...I KNOW ABOUT VEGANISM! Needs to be toned down.
-Lots of fried food. Not very many "Fresh" options.
-Wished there was more Salads on the menu
-Lots of store-bought food. EX: Chips from Costco, Cheese is all daiya, etc...If you like shopping at Whole Foods and getting your own alternatives and preparing a meal yourself...then you are probably safer doing that.

By the end of the meal, my friend and I were so uncomfortable, we decided never to go back.

With a restaurant like MELT in Northside in existence, there is absolutely NO need to eat at this restaurant.

Pros: Desert options, Eclectic Menu
Cons: Decor, Location, Attitude
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

I like pro-vegan propaganda!

I like 'foreign'!

I am a confident person so I rarely feel 'uncomfortable'!

Loving Huts are not for everyone.

This is not a Review - it is an unpleasant display of bigotry & deep personal insecurity.

• Luv2Veg Luv2Veg

Wow, Johnny. I have no idea what happened? I love this restaurant. It's closer for me than the melt, which is also very good, so I and my daughters visit quite often. We love the atmosphere, the food and the service. And we can't ever leave without dessert! All the food is always very fresh & yummy. For such a small restaurant, they really do have a very wide variety of food choices. I think maybe they try a little too hard to have plenty of choices, to be sure they have something for everyone. But, we've never had any problems. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your visit. Everyone deserves a second chance. Maybe just go for some dessert or a smoothie to see if you still feel those uncomfortable vibes. Well anyway, wishing you much love, happiness & peace!

• Aelfgifu1 Aelfgifu1

I agree with the Guest above. I found HappyCow today, because I am trying to switch to veganism. I just found this restaurant that is LITERALLY right around the corner from me. I could walk there. So I looked up its website and then started to read the reviews. Everyone is raving about it except this one reviewer.

I had to register, because I believe this reviewer is upset because s/he is a closet bigot. His/her cons listed the "area of town." This is code for "a lot of black people live here and it's not as trendy as Northside where the beloved Melt is located.

Don't insult my community through your ignorance. You're really missing out on a lot!

nardanddee
nardanddee

Nice place...sad to see it go

5 Posted on 12 / 30 / 2010

I stopped in there before my flight home and ordered the American Panini. It was excellent! I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the delicious sounding choices, but was truly happy with my decision. I overheard one of the women behind the counter on the phone saying that they were about to become the Loving Hut. Another fav of mine when I travel, but I hate losing vegan spots to international chains. Plus, the Loving Cafe offered a different variety of items and the Loving Hut offers the same from location to location. I'm glad a had a chance to eat here before they changed over. Sorry to hear they're leaving...

Pros: friendly staff, reasonable prices, good variety
Cons: changing to Loving Hut
anaveryisland
anaveryisland

Great Food

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2010

The Loving Cafe is a very, very tasty restaurant that even offers raw dishes! Definitely make the time to check this place out. They also carry raw love force bars and local kombucha. Just make sure to check out their hours online before driving out there.

Pros: Delicious food, Healthy, All vegan
Cons: Restaurant hours
AbeLincoln
AbeLincoln

Wonderful Place

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2010

Lots of options. I had the chicken sandwich and it was really good. The customer service is great, prices reasonable. I am going to start going here once a week, I even got a pretty sweet organic tshirt for only $10. Great place.

Pros: Reasonably priced, Yummy, good parking
Cons: The dining area needs music
stargatelover
stargatelover

Loving food

4 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2009

Really great place, Casual with great food! Great value for the money. Will go back whenever I'm in Cincinnati. Try the Pho.

lindseysoda
lindseysoda

Our favorite restaurant!

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2009

Loving Cafe opened early in 2009, and we are so glad they did! The service is by far the best I've ever had at a vegan restaurant and the food is incredible. Our family favorite is the panini sandwich. It's on the best bread I've ever tasted! The prices are very reasonable and portion sizes are great. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone - not just vegans! (Also - the staff is very knowledgeable about food allergies, if that is a concern to you.)

Pros: service, excellent food, ample seating
Cons: not very close to the highway
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Lindseysoda, nice review of the loving cafe. I'll try it the next time I am in town.

Sprout
Sprout

Wonderful, all-vegan!

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

I was very pleased with Loving Cafe, the only all-vegan eatery in Cincinnati. The staff was very friendly and walked us through the menu, and when we couldn't decide (how nice is it to be able to order anything from the menu?!)the woman who took our order said she could make us a sampler plate for 5, 6, or 7 dollars each! So we took her up on the offer and were glad to have done so. We had a sampling of the special, called s.o.s., an orange-tofu-type dish, another tofu dish, rice, mixed veggies, a tempeh dish with tortilla chips, slaw, and bbq "chikin." Plus we were each given a raw and a slightly-baked veggie roll because it was our first time dining there. We also had delicious shakes and a chocolate cupcake (not part of the sampler deal, but worth the extra money). The food was fresh, delicious, and we were certainly filled up with the portions (she gave us a lot for $7/each). The staff was excited about the food they offer, which I like to see. They want to promote healthy, vegan food in Cincinnati, and I hope they succeed! They also recycle and compost everything, which is terrific to see! I would definitely recommend this place, and I think even non-veg persons would enjoy it. Seating is somewhat limited, but we didn't have trouble finding a seat.

Pros: 100% vegan, great portions for price, delicious food
ohheysusieb
ohheysusieb

Good food

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2009

The only all vegan place in Cinci right now. I had a panini and raw veggie meal. Both were very good. The menu changes daily and isn't very big. They have sushi. They give you samples of food. Theres a small parking lot and street parking. The cafe its self has a descent amount of seating area but not a lot.
The food is really good and priced pretty cheap. Nothing was over $8! Offered healthy food!

Pros: Cheap prices, good food
Cons: limited parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Cincinnati: