CLOSED: Loving Hut - Auckland

Part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegan living. Each location is individually family owned and operated. Serves all vegan food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and dessert. Simple and cheerful. Previously named Golden Age. OCT 2013 REPORTED SHUT, WEB NOT WORKING. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Buffet, Asian
61 Victoria Street West (opposite Skycity)
Auckland, New Zealand

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by MaryMcIntosh

Good Food, Friendly Staff.

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

Despite having walked past Loving Hut more than a dozen times, I tried it for the first time on a cloudy Tuesday afternoon. Loving Hut is of course known for its extensive range of Asian dishes including laksa, tom yum, satay. There are also a lot of mock meat dishes such as mapo tofu, sweet and sour, and Sichuan. Items on the menu are reasonably priced with an average of NZD12 dollars each, while desserts are around NZD5. A huge plus for me is the presence of raw vegan cheesecakes on display, as well as the raw chocolate mousse.

Since I myself prefer vegetables (preferably raw) over mock meats and white rice, I opted for the Thai Salad. It certainly did not disappoint. It was one of the better Thai salads I've had; fresh tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, and radish mixed with beets, roasted peanuts, some tofu, coriander and a sweet chili dressing. The vegetables were crisp, the dressing just spicy enough but not overpowering, and the coriander delightfully refreshing. Unfortunately the raw cakes have ran out just as I was about to order, but I am sure like all raw cakes they taste fabulous.

As for the staff and the mise en place, the staff were absolutely lovely and welcoming. The woman who took my order was more than happy to accommodate my gluten free requests, and informed me that most dishes could be made gluten free. She also happily recommended some dishes, and kept a smile on her face at all times. The restaurant was clean, well kept, and very simply decorated. Perhaps it would be good for a casual group get together or a weekday lunch, but not for formal gatherings.

I would definitely return to a Loving Hut restaurant later on, especially knowing that they can cater to a mostly raw vegan like me. Although that said, good food is good food, and that can be hard to resist. ;)

Pros: Reasonable prices, Friendly staff, Caters for other dietary needs
Cons: Good for casual dining, but not formal, A lot of mock meats

I love this place ;)

5 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2013

Yummy Chinese/Indonesian meals, great prices, the desserts are amazing - my favourites are the "cheesecakes" all flavours are divine. The owners are very friendly and they even sell crystals and do crystal energy healing. Even my totally carnivorous friend adored this place and recommended it to her hubby! I've brought most of my family here on several occasions even though none are vegan - they all enjoyed it.

Pros: affordable, yummy, great vibes
Cons: hard to find a park

Love the Loving Hut

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

Certainly nothing bad to say about this cafe. The food selection is huge and hard to decide what to try on my first visit. My non vege husband was even very impressed (and that is not an easy thing to do)! Servings sizes are plentiful and very affordable prices, There is a light lunch menu, entrees and mains for those with a large appetite (you could share a meal easily). Unfortunately I couldn't try the desserts as I was so full from my hotpot, I even had to take the leftovers with me as I could not get through it!
I certainly will be eating here again at my next visit to Auckland, wish there were more around NZ. Love the vibe of this place and the safe are down to earth and lovely. Love what you do!

Pros: Tasty, Nice Vibe, Central Location

An oasis!

5 Posted on 01 / 20 / 2013

This place is vegan heaven. Yes, the food is delicious and satisfying. Amazing texture, and variety. The fried banana for dessert with a side of chocolate ice cream... I could bathe in that stuff.

The service is great and personal and I only wish I lived in Auckland so I coudld be a regular. Love and appreciate when compassionate people make life for vegans even more pleasurable.

Pros: Tastes amazing, Personal staff, Large portions

highly recommended!

5 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2012

I had plan to try several restaurants in Auckland, but after eating at the Loving Hut I just went back there.
Amazing food with lots of mock meat (my favourite: roasted "duck"!). Delicious desserts like cheesecake and coconut ice cream.
Huge portions and fair prices.
It a place for any occasion: nice for a quick meal (they have lunch specials), nice for a date or to go there with your family/friends.

Pros: amazing food, lots of mock meat, huge portion

Loving the hut

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

The new homemade coconut milk ice-cream is amazing! Two flavours - coconut (vanilla) and chocolate. I think I like the coconut flavour the best but if they served a mix of the two I would get that.

My fave dishes:

BBQ not ribs
Tum Yum chickun
Sweet BBQ Duk
Sizzling black pepper chickun

Pros: Big portions, Relax atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Parking

great little veg spot to start your tour of NZ

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2012

I ate here in 2009, but forgot to write a review and now as I'm making a plan for other vegans traveling to NZ I realized my review was missing. The Loving Hut is a global franchise of the Supreme Master, they are in nearly every country. Usually Asian inspired food comprises the menus, but western items and raw items are occasionally present, too. This Loving Hut was fairly standard, its conveniently located to the hotels in downtown Auckland making it a short walk. They were very kind in accommodating our oil-free vegan requests. The food was fresh and delicious making it the perfect hassle free spot to begin your vegan adventures.

Pros: will accomodate dietary requests, location

Amazing coconut ice cream

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

Had a great 3 course meal there tonight with a friend - salt and pepper chicken which was generous and very tasty, satay chicken which was nice but a bit spicy for my taste, sweet and sour pork - loved this and it had lots of veges, spare ribs which were very tasty and the best dish of the night, the home made coconut ice cream. This was sweet, rich, full bodied and with good but not over powering coconut flavour. Apparently it is a special for the week which is a shame it is not always on the menu. The bill for 2 was $60 which I thought was reasonable as it was a lot of food.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff, not greasy
Cons: parking difficult

Vegan cheese pie delight!

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

When I first arrived I was a little disappointed at the lack of coffee, but the green tea is very nice. I ordered some Cantonese pretend pork noodles and considering I don't really like Chinese food I couldn't get over how good it was. There was an insane choice of cheesecake and I went for a chocolatey one... I want more already, and I've not actually finished it yet. I love that the place has free wifi and advertises the fact. It's also got vegan labels everywhere which is handy. It's in a good position in town, the food comes quickly and the staff are lovely. That is all.

Pros: Cheesecake, Cheesecake, Cheesecake
Cons: No coffee

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Loving Hut - Auckland: