Veggie food restaurant. Has set lunch with coffee or tea. Comfortable space. Previously named Buddha Hut, and now part of international chain of vegan restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for vegetarian living. Open Tue if it is the 1st or 15th day of the lunar month or a public holiday. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese, International, Fast food, Take-out

Stevie
Stevie

Loving Hut - Amoy Plaza, Hong Kong

Posted on 03 / 28 / 2015

I stopped in here yesterday briefly just to have a break and to get some liquid into me. What a place.

Anyone who has been to a branch of Loving Hut anywhere before will have an idea of the basics. It's all vegan, order at the counter, food is provided pretty quickly and it's tasty stuff at a reasonable price. For my part yesterday I just ordered a soup (pumpkin) and it was very pleasant. Also good value at 13 hkd.

Other observations. 1stly this place is busy. I'm told it's been in business for 9 years. It's quite a big restaurant and while it wasn't full, there was a lot of people in there. Thus was around 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon and they were doing a roaring trade. The people who served me were nice and with my Cantonese still being very poor, it never does any harm when there's someone working there who speaks English. This place has that as an English menu.

The only thing I personally don't like is the big tv screen. There was stuff being shown (with sub titles in 21 languages no less) of what seemed to be some sort of religious or philosophical moralising. It was all a bit happy clappy and smiley and appeared like many other films with religious propaganda I've seen in the west (i.e. very carefully stage managed and choreograohed with edits done in such a way as what seemed to be to present an aura around someone). I've just described this to someone verbally with me just now who asked if this place is about offering great food or is it some kind of religious cult? I can understand why. Some people may like this kind of thing of course and that's entirely up to them. Therer are other though likely to find this a little off putting.

They now also have a health food shop and bakery next door that's been running for 4 years.

Pros: 100% vegan, Tasty food at reasonable prices
Cons: TV screen can make it seem like a cult
Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

Best place to eat in HK for a vegan

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2011

Friendly dedicated staff plus a big range of foods to choose from~ not costly at all compared to overseas...I ate 6 times out of the 30 days I was here on a visit. I really like the selection of cakes, especially the coffee chestnut one. The marinated tofu is so awesome too. I miss this place so much!

Pros: Large range of yummy food esp. cake, Friendly staff, Inexpensive
beerzuki
beerzuki

You meet lovely people in vego restaurants!

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2010

I had lunch here really enjoyed the meal. I had bbq pork/tofu skin with rice and vegies ($32), I paid an extra $4 for chinese style soup. Apparently if you choose to pay for the extra item (soup or more expensive drink) you no longer get the free item (a tea or coffee style drink), also if you go for the soup, you will have a choice of a chinese style one (nice) or another type. A lovely English speaking customer helped me out here! No big deal, just hope to make your ordering a bit easier,as my Cantonese is non existent and the staff spoke little English. The English menu is pretty good though.

The meal itself was really nice and great value. This is related to the Loving Hut chain of vegan restaurants around the world. There is a telly playing their spiritual tv broadcasts in all restaurants, which is actually pretty interesting and nice if you are a lone diner. If tv isn't your thing over a meal, you can sit away from it and the volume isn't overpowering.

To get there, follow the Amoy Plaza signs in Kowloon BAY station (DON'T confuse this with Kowloon Station!!!-this one is on the green line about halfway along). Once you come down onto the street, sort of veer right and this will take you past some small stalls and under a highway
flyover. The street you come to is Ngau Tau Kok, walk along it to the right for about 6 mins, into the second Amoy Plaza entrance and you will find Buddha Hut directly behind McDon'tEat.

Pros: english menu, the tv show!
Cons: make sure u get right MTR station!

sglcklch
sglcklch

Decent vegetarian "fast-food" restaurant

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2010

Had dinner here once only although I live just a few blocks away. Food was quite tasty and refreshing, not bad at all for the price, but personally I am not a big fan of mock-meat and fast food. That said, I would not mind visiting again when I feel too lazy to cook.

Pros: cheap, good for quick meals
Cons: mock-meat, fastfoody
htenbos
htenbos

Nice modern restaurant

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2009

Very nice, clean and modern vegetarian. Reasonable prices, large menu for selection. Chinese, but English menu available on request. Had the Vegetarian Laksa: Yummy !

JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

A place to relax & enjoy - franchiseable...

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2009

Yesterday Shara, who runs the Facebook Hong Kong Vegan Group - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=30063158225 - invited me to visit Buddha Hut for the first time - we will post photo's soon!

If you are thinking of "franchising vegan' this is an ideal business to study!

Owned & run by friends of Suma Ching Hai.

Truly vegan - every single item on the menu - impeccably clean - happy & friendly staff - a great blend of healthy food & comfort food - wonderful atmosphere - full of families / students / groups of friends - none of the loud talking that you find in some Cantonese Veggy restaurants ......wow......how did I miss Buddha Hut for so long - I will visit it very regularly from now onwards.

English menu available.

Some English spoken.

On the 2 Lunar Veggie Days each month it is packed out. There is no system of table reservations so expect a long wait to get seated on these days.

Note - the food is not gourmet - but it is very satisfying.

Buddha Hut does not have bathrooms - there are clean public bathrooms in the block behind it - at the Wellcome Supermarket.

Landmark - the Amoy Plaza HSBC branch - Buddha Hut is almost directly opposite it.

Nearest MTR station - Kowloon Bay - 10 minutes walk.

Great wheelchair access - physically challenged customers are made most welcome.

vegcipe
vegcipe

Buddha Hut

Posted on 12 / 15 / 2008

Great choices, Maxim-style service, good desserts, generous portions, very clean

Pros: Fairly priced, Many choices, Good soup!
Cons: Nothing!

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Hut - Amoy Plaza: