This vegan restaurant offers comfort foods such as burgers, sloppy joe, salads, curry soup, and many more. Uses organic and local produce. Also serve gluten free foods and some raw foods upon request. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Asian, Organic, Fast food

First Review by briank
Sarahbellum
Sarahbellum

Be Prepared To Wait

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

The food is great. I love the sweet potato wrap and my husband said the philly "cheesesteak" was awesome. The lattes and smoothies are also very good. The girls that work there are very pleasant but the service is slooooow. You can be the only person in there and it still takes forever.

Pros: 100% Vegan, Raw Options
Cons: Slow
kvelistruan
kvelistruan

So glad to have found this great place

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

We got there at 7:30 on Saturday (before hitting the Spectrum) and even though they were having a slow evening and were going to close early they stayed for us. The grill had already been clean but they fired it up again and made a Reuben Burger which was declared to be the best "burger" ever. The owner is friendly and knowledgeable. She has regular classes on how to cook her recipes. We will be going back again and again.

Pros: friendly staff, 100% vegan, uses local produce
Cons: napkins are too small for the great food
cheezyvegan
cheezyvegan

wish we lived closer

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

my wife and i live about an hour away from loving cafe, but seeing as we have family in the area, we usually stop in whenever we're in town once or twice a month.

in the year that we've been visiting, we've never had a bad meal. everything is always delicious and made fresh. sometimes it can take a little extra time when they're packed, but i don't mind, and you can enjoy the free wi-fi while you wait. the owner is a sweetheart, and the place is always full of regulars who keep coming back for more good food and friendly conversation. they've recently added more raw options, especially in the dessert area, and everything we've tried has been amazing -- the cheesecakes, the fudge, the pies. and their regular baked goods are always top-notch. the strawberry scones are my favorite. wish they had them every time i went!

contrary to old reviews, they aren't just microwaving pre-made food. i've watched them make my meals fresh.

i'm thrilled that albany finally has a fully-vegan restaurant, and i hope they stick around for a long time.

Pros: great food, super-friendly owner & staff
VegAnnMD
VegAnnMD

Delicious, helpful, will return!

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

I'm driving cross-country, stopping for vegan food wherever I can find it. We picked Loving Cafe for our Albany stop based on the last review here and it was the absolute highlight of our day and the best food we've had in a long time. I wish I could carry this place off to Boston with me. I'd never have to cook again!

My husband had the delux veggie burger which he devoured and then started in on my Mac & Cheese which was hot and creamy with just the right amount of salt & pepper. Fortunately I foresaw this so I also got the special: Sweet Potato Wrap. This was good too, but the Mac & Cheese was better. We finished our meal off with the Lavender Vanilla Chocolate Chip Cookies--yum!!! Can't believe it was all vegan but it was. An absolute delight. My husband was so happy he asked them if they had a cookbook to sell. Sadly no cookbook yet. Maybe they'll make one and then we can have a teeny bit of Loving Cafe in Boston. Enjoy, Albany! We'll be back on our next cross-country journey!

Pros: delicious, very helpful staff, wide variety
BGVegAndFree
BGVegAndFree

so much love!

4 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2012

The Loving Cafe was recommended to me last year, but I am often so disappointed with veg/vegan restaurants in the area that I put off trying it. What a mistake! After going for the first time I was back four times in the subsequent 2 weeks. I think that many of the more negative reviews must have been posted when the restaurant was first opening. It may not be your average restaurant, but to me that is a good thing! I don't want average or customary; I want a genuine experience with warm, accommodating hosts that treat me sincerely as a guest rather than just a paying customer. The owner and head chef believes that through loving our bodies and our selves we can become a better, more progressive community. She is creating delicious meals, juices, smoothies, and baked goods at fair prices while supporting a local food economy. The waitstaff was friendly, attentive, and paid attention to the inclinations of myself and my various guests. I have tried (or at least sampled) a dozen menu items now and each one was surprisingly tasty with well thought out and fresh ingredients. After working as a professional (vegan and non-vegan) cook, waitress, and bartender for over ten years, I can appreciate the effort it takes to build a sustainable and palatable menu. Each meal I've had the pleasure of sharing at the Loving Cafe was lovingly prepared, nutritionally fulfilling, and incredibly tasty! I will be going back often and will bring more friends, vegan and non-vegan. It's a great place to introduce non-veg friends to good food because of the wide selection of meat-tasting item menus that are incorporated with fresh vegetables and whole grains.

Don't believe the bad reviews -- come try it for yourself!

Pros: Fresh and local, Good prices, Friendly and warm hosts
Larry74
Larry74

Not The Loving Hut!

2 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2012

Not worth the trip. Very disappointing. Mediocre at best. Spaghetti noodles with Asian dishes? Um, i have never been to a vegan restaurant where my food was prepared in a microwave before, and i never will again. I wish i could say better. Service was nice, but food did not match. I'd rather have poor service, and really good food.

Pros: service
Cons: Location, food, price
  • dnadenizen dnadenizen

Hi Larry,

My name is Dana, I'm one of the workers at the cafe. Firstly, I wanted to apologize to you for your less than satisfactory experience at our cafe. Our goal is to do the best we can to make sure that everyone who comes here has a good experience, enjoys the food and leaves feeling like they've done something good for both themselves and the planet and/or animals. Being fairly new, we're still working out some of the kinks. Concerning the use of microwaves; we have a tiny kitchen with very limited cooking space. We would prefer to use the microwaves as little as possible, but at times that can prove difficult. Due to negative feedback concerning the use of the microwaves, we have added several menu items that can quickly be prepared without using them (via grill, oven or pan). We'd be happy to hear any more feedback or suggestions that you might have; and again, we apologize for the bad experience you've had!
    Thanks,
    Dana

DC Vegan
DC Vegan

What a disappointment

2 Posted on 12 / 24 / 2011

My boyfriend and I have been to several Loving Hut restaurants on the East Coast and decided to try Loving Cafe because it's near his mother's house. It's a nice-looking place, very casual, and I appreciate that the Supreme Master TV is not playing, but I wasn't happy about the horrific Christmas music radio station that was playing.

The main problem is the food. If you are going to try to win people over with vegan food, it had better be good. It had better be somewhat inspired. It had better be good portions at reasonable prices. I had a BBQ "chicken" dish with rice and got a ladling of morsels of almost flavorless soy "chicken" and a huge amount of brown rice. That's it. My boyfriend's veggie burger and his mom's wrap were decent, but the chips they came with were thrown on as an afterthought.

The problem is everything is microwaved. The young woman who served us was heating up everything in the microwave--our dumpligs, the spring rolls that came with no sauce, my BBQ chicken, and the other food. And it still took a little too long to come out. The only thing a microwave should be used for in a restaurant is maybe heating up a dessert; it should not be used for cooking the food.

If you are nearby, maybe it's worth it on the way to or from home, but it's certainly not worth traveling to.

Pros: cute restaurant
Cons: bland, uninspired food, everything microwaved
  • dnadenizen dnadenizen

Hi DCvegan,
    My name is Dana and I'm a member of the staff at the Cafe. I just wanted to take the time to apologize for your negative experience you've had with us. I've shared your review with the other members of our staff at the cafe, so that we can do our best to improve customer experiences here in the future. We've reviewed and amended our BBQ chicken recipe and have decided to add fresh seasonal veggies and a larger amount of veggie protein to the dish (again...sorry about that!). In addition, concerning the microwaves; we have a tiny kitchen with very limited cooking space. We would prefer to use the microwaves as little as possible, but at times that can prove difficult. Due to negative feedback concerning the use of the microwaves, we have added several menu items that can quickly be prepared without using them (via grill, oven or pan). If you have any more suggestions of feedback we'd be happy to hear from you! Thanks,
    Dana

briank
briank

Would love to try it again

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2011

My wife and I decided to stop and eat while we were driving through for the holidays. Unfortunately, they were out of several items, so we didn't get to try some of the menu items we most wanted to sample.

I had the philly steak sandwich, which was hot, tasty, and messy. My wife had the BLT veggie burger, which was topped with an unusual, smoky, semi-marbled faux bacon. Both sandwiches came with a small scoop of delicious, slightly fruity slaw.

Their menu includes a number of simple appetizers and sandwiches, as well as a handful of other entrees. The food is prepared with their sparse kitchen equipment, but they manage to do a really amazing job. I'd love to stop by and try them again when they have more items in stock.

Dear Owner and Manager of Loving Cafe: