CLOSED: Love Tree Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegetarian including a pizza, hummus, tabouli, veggie burrito, juices, and smoothies. NOV 2013 REPORTED CLOSED... MAYBE WILL REOPEN IN 2014 - PLEASE LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN IT DOES. Price: Inexpensive more-less
American, Juice bar, Non-veg

First Review by aglenn0
pommieg
pommieg

Best of the Best

4 Posted on 09 / 16 / 2010

Visted St Augustine yesterday found the love tree cafe downtown next to the old drug store and had the best lunch ...if you are in st augutine stop by and try this place out great fresh veggie wrap has all the goodies different veggies and cheeses and a garlic dressing thats the best of the best, came with chips and a pickle. Great tea selection too. Menu is mostly vegetarian and has some meat dishes I think two. A nice guy who is the owner and a great chef prepared my lunch and a couple other customers who were just as pleased with their dishes, the place is small (think there are four tables with 8 seats and some tables outside. The place has a great vibe as you eat among collectibles and antiques in a house like setting. My dessert was "The award winning" brownies are a def must! Keep on serving great organic healthy food! Oh and the prices are great!

Pros: excellent food, healthy, friendly staff good value
shaggie44
shaggie44

Taste Bud Delight

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

I had the opportunity this afternoon to experience lunch in the Love Tree Cafe in st augustine that turned out to be one of the best treats I have had in along time when it comes to Vegetarian food (which is all I eat). The Love Tree Cafe which is at 6 cordova street in st augustine downtown is out of this world. I had the best veggie pizza I have had in along time. It is prepared with a baked flat bread the owner said is basted with virgin olive oil, fresh herbs I know there was cilantro, fresh garlic, oregano and layerd with mozzerella cheese, spinach mushrooms tomatoes, banana peppers and some more cheese and feta topped with sprouts and a nice dressing. I did ask for avacado on mine and the chef was more than happy to accomadate me. My taste buds where bouncing all over the place thanking me!. I also had a fruit smoothie which was out of this world with fresh apple juice strawberries and peach and mango, all of this in a very nice collectible shop with classic music playing and the smell of great food. There is limited seating inside which I think accomadates 6 or 8 and there was outside seating too. Being a holday weekend they were very busy but managed to quickly seat me. The owners are very nice and treat you like family, the waitress was more then willing to talk with you and made me feel very welcomed. I did not have any room for the dessert as you will not leave hungry. The portions are large but the dessert looked great and was a homemade peanut butter chocolate brownie with rich dark chocolate sadly no room to put it. Try out this cafe called the Love Tree Cafe it is a true taste bud delight. I Will be back again!

Pros: Great Prices, Great Food, Very Friendly
veggielady
veggielady

YUMMIE CAFE

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

Where do I begin? The cafe is adorable and the staff/owners are amazing! YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! THE FOOD IS AMAZING! ok sorry for the caps but we have never had such a great meal in all the veggie cafes we dine in like we did here at the Love Tree Cafe. You must try the Pizza it has fresh spinach, mushrooms and differnt cheeses with fresh tomatoes, peppers herbs and garlic,very filling. My freind had a smoothie with differnt fruits and protein powder that was out of this world and a nice large chef salad minus the meat which the chef was more than willing to accomadate our diet, it was filled with all kinds of fresh veggies and cheese with warm pita bread and delicous homemade dressing which was made with olive oil and garlic and basil, not stopping we also had a delcious fresh carrot juice with apple and ginger and spinach. The server suggested to us a double shot expresso and a mocha which was very good. The owners are very freindly and talkative and we thought we were sitting in a freinds house instead of a cafe which made us feel right at home. In the end we were offered deseert which was a very rich looking thick brownie but had no room to put it so we passed on it but it looked great. The prices are amazing but more importantly the food taste great and had a nice presentation. There is an Antique shop connected to the cafe which you eat around the various items which is eclectic and made for an interesting ambiance. If you are in St Augustine I highly recommend you check them out and have a nice meal in a clean freindly nice environment for a very price!

Pros: Wonderful food, Good Hospitality, Great Prices

goodeatings
goodeatings

GREAT CAFE

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2010

We had a great lunch and a Great time eating at the LOVE TREE CAFE, the food was OUTSTANDING and the prices were wonderful. The cafe sits in a nice antique shop and the owners are very nice and make you feel right at home. We sat inside and there is outdoor eating as well. The cafe sits six people inside and i beleive four outside overlooking the cememtary next door(very cool) Elaine waitned on us and was very freindly and knew the menu items well. We had Veggie Burrito a Fresh veggie wrap and A veggie Pizza. The Hummus is homemade and the ingrediants are fresh and organic. After we had a great lunch we were tempted by the famous homemade brownies which are to die for if you are a chocolate lover the won awards and I see why they did. I can't say enough about the food and the prices are very reasonable and the staff was very freindly and the place is very clean. Will defenilty come back again this fall for some more LOVE TREE Cafe food. The anitque shop also has very cool items which are nicely priced for those with discerning taste. Thanks love tree for making us feel very welcomed on our trip!!!

Pros: great food, very freindly , very clean
little expat
little expat
  • non-vegetarian

How could this place rate 3 out of 5?

1 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

We walked in with 2 other people we didn't know. When we stepped inside, the cook and what appeared to be his mother were sitting at one of the 3 plastic tables with plastic chairs (a total of 6 people would be able to dine inside)
The first question he asked was "What do YOU want"? The older gentleman replied that he wanted lunch. The apparent cook then replied, "What kind of food?" (keep in mind that they had a menu outside that we had previously reviewed)
We decided that maybe we had caught him off guard, and that the experience would improve. We were incorrect.
My husband and I sat at one of the tables, (ours was covered with an Elvis fabric of unknown age) while they were preparing our meal they began to LOUDLY discuss their personal business in the adjacent room. We then decided to look around at their "antiques and collectibles" the Mother followed us about peaking around corners to make sure we did not steal any of their treasures. All of which appeared to be yard sale cast offs (imagine Sanford and Son open a dinner)
The food was ok, with the exception of the chips that looked as if they had been pulled from various bags in the kitchen, and the prices were reasonable. However decent food and prices do not make up for the rude, and quite honestly hostile behavior of the employees, nor does it make up for the fact that you feel as if you are eating in a pack-rats basement. Oh and don't forget that the outside seating overlooks a not to scenic cemetery.
If I had the option to rate this place in the negative I would. The entire experience was negative, and we honestly felt as if we were unwelcome to the point that I was concerned about the safety of the food. I was happy to leave and worried for the older couple that stayed to finish their meals.

SunnyG
SunnyG
  • raw

So Quaint & Welcoming!

4 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2010

Visited this Cafe which was right down the street from the B&B I stayed in... very convenient! It's so quaint & inviting from the street, nice & small. The Cafe is located within an Antique Shop... several tables within, 1 or 2 outside in front of the shop, and several out in the back - plenty of room. The owner is pleasantly talkative, and you sit amongst the antiques & can even browse the shop while your lunch is being made.

I enjoyed a veggie wrap special that was amply stuffed & very filling served w/a pickle & chips! A VERY large glass of iced Ginger tea was served with lunch, and an offer of handmade Ghirradelli/milk choc. brownies was offered for dessert (so full, I had to pass). '-) I didn't have the Smoothie, but after imagining the combination of fruits & protein, it sounded like an excellent choice for my next visit! '-)

They had a nice variety of wraps (vegetarian & non), several salads, and seasonal soups available. They also offered a variety of beverages from herb tea to sodas to lattes.

If you're looking for a nice low-key sort of cafe, this is definitely the one to try! Also, it's within walking distance of the attractions.

Pros: Good Value, Great food, Friendly staff
Cons: Seating cramped inside
williamf
williamf

Great Food,, Great Prices, Very Friendly

4 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2009

We came across this great cafe Love Tree Cafe inside the heart of this cozy antique shop so you eat amongst cool items. The food is amazing and the prices, We had the veggie Pizza, awesome hummus and tabouli salad and homemade soup with great smoothies. The owner is very freindly and made us feel at home! Would Def recomend this to place to anyone who wants good food at great prices. seating outside and inside.

Pros: Great Food, Great Prices , Very Friendly
Cons: none, none, none
Ceili1966
Ceili1966

Small cafe

3 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2008

Small, 3 table room in antique store. It took awhile to be noticed but the food was good. We had veggie burrito - really a soft taco and the veggie wrap. The burrito came with nothing but the wrap came with some fritos. The smoothie was good so overall we were happy with the meal

Marisa119
Marisa119

Beware Strange Owner

1 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2008

Arrived in St. Augustine w/ Happy Cow list of Vegan Restaurants. Checked out Love Tree Cafe on Friday and Sat around lunch time and it was closed STRANGE? Are those not good business days to be open? No sign on the door...Nothing! On Sunday I was happy to see the doors were open but there was no staff persons...just tourists wandering around for 10 minutes. My mom and I left and came back a few minutes later after checking out some other shops. A man walked downstairs from this home/shop and ignored us. When my mom asked "do you run this joint?" he became rude and defensive and stated "This is not a joint! It is an establishment! Get off of my property! We tried to explain that we were just trying to get some lunch and had previously walked around in his "establishment" along with other tourists for about 10 min W/O any customer service interaction but this gentleman would not hear a word we had to say and in a frightening manner chased us out of the cafe/home like setting. I am so glad I did not eat here. The man we met seems mentally unstable and I would have been scared to eat anything he may have prepared.

Pros: none
Cons: frightening owner, not open fri and sat?, cluttered/loud music
aglenn0
aglenn0

Quaint Cafe

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2007

This quaint cafe is located in an antique shop and offers limited seating. It is a peaceful place to have a light lunch. The menu consists of sandwiches with a few vegetarian options. Also, the hummus appetizer is very good. The stand out features of my visit to The Love Tree were the "award winning" brownies and the shopkeeper, Elaine. The peanut butter brownie was truly award winning! Heated, it was an ooey gooey delicious treat! Elaine was very accomodating making all food fresh in the tiny kitchen. This was a very nice and simple lunch spot for a rainy day.

Pros: Great Brownies, Friendly Staff, Peaceful atmosphere
Cons: Limited seating, Limited menu

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Love Tree Cafe: