Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen

Offers a large range of Chinese dishes from rice and noodle dishes to vegetable mains, soups, and mock meats. Owners are originally from Hong Kong and have experience in the food service industry. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, BYO, Take-out
536 Wilmslow Road
Manchester, England M20 4BY
Now Open

Mon-Fri 12:00pm-1:30pm, Mon-Thu 5:00pm-10:30pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-10:30pm

First Review by Evazhu
RubyFriel
RubyFriel

A rare gem

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2015

It's tough to find a good veggie Chinese, and this one doesn't disappoint. As somebody who works in China, I can vouch that the food at Lotus is very authentic. They use a lot of mock meat but they also have just veg dishes. Vegan options are clearly marked. Very tasty food and lovely service. A welcome alternative to the other vegetarian restaurants the city has to offer.

Pros: bring your own booze, different cuisine, tasty food
jennyc32
jennyc32

Amazing Chinese food

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2015

Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen is very vegan friendly and marks all the options on the menu. It is quite heavy on mock meat, but also has vegetable-based dishes too. I've had takeaway from there a number of times and have enjoyed everything I've tried. Eating in or taking away, the service is fast and friendly. Highly recommended!

Pros: Lots of choice, Value for money
Bhammer
Bhammer

Chinese Vegetarian

Posted on 02 / 04 / 2015

We went here for lunch. £4.50 for white rice and a "mixed meat"(made from wheat gluten and tofu) and veg meal. I don't usually go for 'fake meat' but it was well cooked, the veg being the correct side of a la dente. Nice green tea to follow.
I have been in the evening now a couple of times and I still find the food cooked beautiful and subtly spiced Apparently they do not use onions, leeks or garlic but don't let that put you off. Great Won Ton soup.
They have a basic brown rice (which I prefer) mixed with white and red rice, as well as more creative rice variations. Updated from previous review on Thursday August 14, 2014

Pros: Good value, Well cooked, Good Service

arherron
arherron

A welcome addition in Manchester

Posted on 01 / 23 / 2015

We visited for the first time this evening. Lotus is a friendly and attentive place with a comprehensive menu of all your favourites and some new specials. Portions are generous, the dishes are tasty and there's a wide range of soft drinks (BYO for alcoholic drinks).
We were pleased to finally have got around to going and look forward to our next visit.

Pros: large menu , so many vegan choices , vegan prawn crackers!
VeggieTravels
VeggieTravels

Fresh, delicious, and made with care

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2014

While visiting a friend in Manchester, we went for dinner at the Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen because he described it as "the best Chinese I have ever had".

As a vegan, the first nice surprise was how many options I had - most of the menu is vegan or can be prepared as vegan. Great! We shared the Aromatic crispy duck with pancakes and cucumber for a starter, and then the Tofu & Aubergine hotpot and 8 treasures wraps. All three of these dishes were absolutely outstanding. The ingredients and flavors were fresh, everything was carefully prepared and nicely presented, and the service was fast, friendly, and attentive. Along with an order of mixed steamed rice and fried noodles, the portions were more than large enough for the two of us (and I tend to prefer my portions large). At a total cost around £35 including jasmine tea, this was great value for money, especially when considering the high quality of the meal. This is not a fancy restaurant, but the atmosphere is laid-back and friendly.

This is one of the best restaurant meals I have enjoyed in quite some time. My advice: go now and bring your friends. You won't regret it.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Good value for money, Plentiful vegan options
happyJody
happyJody

Artistic meal presentation

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2014

I googled on the internet for a Chinese vegetarian restaurant prior to visit my friend in Manchester as I haven't seen her for a long time. Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen just about a mile away from my friend. I read the review that have some good comment. We decided going there. They were very busy at the time we went, full house last Friday. We ordered Aromatic veggie crispy duck as a starter, a dish of stir fried ginger with Pak Choi as well as veggie chicken satay fried rice. The meal is delicious. The texture of the veggie duck taste very real but that was made up with soya fibre. There have two skewers chicken satay on the side of the fried rice dish, the satay sauce very tasty. The Pak Choi is so fresh and crunchy. All dishes are tasty. I have never had such a good vegetarian Chinese meal before. My friend likes it very much. The meal presentation is wonderful. Very artistic. They use a cucumber crafted a lobster as the dish decoration. Use a carrot crafted a lotus flower. It is amazing, so beautiful. I have no doubt I definitely will go again. Their services are so friendly and have very cosy environment. Must go again.

Pros: Good presentation, Valuable, Friendly staff
OliverRomain
OliverRomain

One of the best Chinese restaurants in MCR

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

Stumbled across this place when driving home from Chorlton. My wife and I have agreed to try to use vegetarian restaurants more often and here was a perfect excuse. We like asian style food but often the vegetarian dishes are limiting or the same old tinned water chestnuts.
Lotus is clean, elegant and very well priced. We started with veggie crispy duck (better than the real thing) and followed with veggie ribs with Peking sauce, boiled mixed rice (white, brown and red), mixed vegetables with crispy noodles with tofu, veggie chicken with Satay sauce and Cashew nuts.
The vegetables were fresh, interesting and cooked to perfection. The meat substitutes were fantastic and the portions were generous.
Also plenty of vegan choices too and clearly labelled.
We spent £30 on two adults and a four year old and I have lunch for tomorrow in a doggy bag. We had Jasmine tea (served over a tea candle so always hot). The quality china cups were a nice touch.
Staff friendly and professional and very welcoming.
This is in the top three Chinese meals we have eaten. We plan to return soon or pick up a take away as soon as we can as there are plenty of other mouthwatering choices on the menu for us to try.

Pros: Fresh Ingredients, Fantastic variety, Great value
peggyyy
peggyyy

Must try and will return

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner here with my friend last night, really friendly greeting on the door , lovely smiley face when serving and GREAT food cooked from the kitchen! The staffs have a lot of patience and loads of variety of food to choose from the menu (all food exclude onion and garlic – the purity that all vegetarians need, loads of vegan options too). This is a ralatively new vegetarian Chinese restaurant and they are doing a great job, suggestions was welcomed by the owner and she emphasise they would not use a lot of colouring whenever possible, which means healthier food into our stomach. Thanks very much and take your friends along~

Pros: Special Tea - keeps warm and lovely cups, Service - really friendly!, Food - loads of choices and very tasty
Evazhu
Evazhu

Great Chinese Vegetarian Food

Posted on 06 / 11 / 2014

I paid a visit to Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen as recommend by my friend last Sunday. She is not a vegetarian and this is our first time having a pure Chinese vegetarian food in Manchester. The food are gorgeous, we have ordered the combination platter that is really tasty. The presentation was so beautiful. We also ordered Asam Fish , I have never ever tasted a veggie fish like that before. It made up with soya fibre and seaweed with spicy sauce, brilliant. Salt & Pepper Tofu is also my favourite dish, crispy outside and soft inside, perfect taste. We finished them all and have no more room in my belly. The dining area are so cosy with friendly service by the staff. I definitely will be going again with other friends. High standard food and good services.

Pros: Good food presentation , Friendly services, Cosy environment

Dear Owner and Manager of Lotus Vegetarian Kitchen: