Casual vegetarian restaurant serving mostly Asian vegan food with also veggie burgers and sandwiches. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Western, Take-out
13872 Metrotech Dr (Sully Place Shopping Center)
Chantilly, Virginia 20151
703-378-6888

Open Mon-Thur 11:30-9:30, Fri-Sat 11:30-10, Sun 12-9:30.

First Review by dalgal
AlexandMarie
AlexandMarie

Lotus Vegetarian

4 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2013

neat little restaurant with friendly service. nice salads, sizzling "beef" with whole wheat noddles, steamed dumplings, "beef" with snow peas are a favorites.

Pros: healthy, tasty, moderately priced
HealthyRoadWarrior
HealthyRoadWarrior

0:15 from Dulles and worth it!

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2013

Staying near Dulles Airport for work, I was hungry for some good non-mall, non-hotel food. So, thanks to Happy Cow, I found and made the 15 minute drive to Lotus Vegetarian. Well worth it!

Super quick service. If anything, it was too quick given that I was eating alone and was in no rush. Had the vegetarian wonton soup...yum! Also, ordered General Tso's Special, with soy nuggets, broccoli, chili sauce on brown rice. Double yum.

All this for less than $20, including tax and tip. Go for it!

Pros: Speedy service, Yummy food, Good value
Cons: Tough to find
binjones
binjones

Good vegan food

3 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

Great choices if you are lie me and are vegan. The only caution is when you go try not to be there near closing, the owner or managers he gets testy and really tries to push you out.

Pros: Excellent food
Cons: Service, Too much tvp & tofu

Slindbla
Slindbla

Awesome veg food!

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

I used to work close to this place, so when it opened, it became a regular lunch stop. Many of my non-veg coworkers come here regularly as we'll. the food is very good and mostly organic. They also have great smoothies!

My favorite meal here is the whole wheat dumplings, the pumpkin chowder, and the veggie club sandwich. Yum!

Pros: great food
Cons: a tad bit pricey
njezior
njezior

Great vegan food!

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

We LOVE Lotus and have been there too many times to count! The vegan dumplings, pan-fried or steamed, are amazing and seem to be our starter most of the time. I also like their sushi rolls, with nice tender nori and brown rice. All the soups are great but my absolute favorite is the pumpkin chowder. It has great flavor with a nice creamy consistency without using dairy.

All the entrees I have had have been delicious, but I especially enjoy the lettuce wraps and the tempeh sandwich. You really cannot go wrong here and the staff is very friendly and eager to explain the menu if you have questions.

cvoss11
cvoss11

Gem

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

Really like this place! Has a large variety of vegan options and menu is very clear on what contains milk or is spicy! Service has gone downhill a bit in the past few months though.

Pros: Good Value, Excellent food, Healthy
Cons: Staff needs improvement
irar
irar

Excellent!

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

One of the best vegan-friendly restaurants in the D.C. area. The fake meat dishes please most non-vegetarians too.

Pros: great food, inexpensive
Jamila
Jamila

Great local place

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2011

I live about 5 miles away from Lotus, and go there or get take out from there probably 2-3 times a month. I'm so happy to have a mostly vegan (a FEW clearly marked dishes have dairy/eggs) place so close! It's mostly Asian type of food - my favorite dish is the Lotus Spicy with tofu and soy protein with a bunch of veggies and spicy brown sauce, with brown rice. I will say that they changed the soy protein and I liked the old one better, but it's still pretty good. My son likes the chik'n nuggets and edamame, and even my tofu-hating omni husband has found some things he likes there. I wouldn't say it's high vegan cuisine, but it's pretty good for everyday.

ajmcclary
ajmcclary

Best vegan option in Northern VA

5 Posted on 04 / 20 / 2011

I used to go to Lotus twice a week when I worked in Herndon--just a few miles away. Now I go when I'm in the area.

Almost every time I go, I get miso soup, iced ginger honey crystal (I know, not technically vegan, but I don't do it often anymore), vegetable spring rolls, and orange eggplant with brown rice. Sometimes, I get the Lotus Spicy or General Tso's Surprise. All of the options are excellent and my non-vegan friends love it too.

Pros: delicious, affordable, variety
Cons: a little slow, could have better service
btw9979
btw9979

incredible food!

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2011

I was very impressed with how well the food was prepared here. wide menu selection and clearly marked menu.

Krutolow
Krutolow

Strip Mall Vegan in Chantilly, Va. Excellent

4 Posted on 10 / 11 / 2010

See the full review and pics at Marty's Flying Vegan Review
www.martysnycveggiereview.blogspot.com

Sometimes we fly people somewhere, wait a bit, (or a lot), and fly back. I had about 90 minutes from driving out of the parking lot in a borrowed crew car at IAD, (Dulles Airport), to starting the airplane again. Dulles used to have a place called Hard Times Cafe in, if I remember, Reston, which wasn't too terrible a drive and served a vegetarian chili on top of spaghetti but it's since closed. Now I still don't have a place to eat a vegan meal and satisfy my carnivore coworkers but I was on my own today!!

Happy Cow. Usually it's a complicated analysis, what do I want to eat, what else is there on the menu, yadda yadda, but today it was exclusively a proximity search. 15 minutes away was Lotus Vegetarian. Never been there. Uncharted territory. Never know what you'll find.

As I turned into the street leading to the entrances to several shopping plazas my head was on a swivel looking for this place, annoying the following drivers behind me. Hey, I'm from NY. Do you think that bothers me? I shouldn't have worried. There were several white signs with prominent green letters, the kind you put in your lawn that say, "Vote for Moe!" and it was an easy find.

It was a bright, modern place with booths along the walls and tables in the middle. They have a counter in the rear in front of the open kitchen. I wasn't sure whether it was a cafeteria style order and then sit but they did have table service.

Congratulate me. I didn't order a fried appetizer. I got the steamed dumplings, (which were house made), the General's Tso's Surprise, (the most popular dish), and the Lotus Organic Tofu.

Whole Wheat Steamed or Pan-Fried Dumplings (6)
Filled with minced soy protein, cabbage, zucchini, organic carrots, string beans, shiitake mushrooms and ben thread noodles.

Lotus Organic Tofu
Organic tofu simmered with lotus roots, king oyster mushrooms, sugar peas, red bell peppers, Thai basil and ginger in brown sauce.

General Tso's Surprise
Chunks of soy protein fried till crispy tossed with hot chili sauce. Garnished with steamed broccoli.
$10.50
$9.50
$5.95

I walked over to the kitchen and found out that the proteins all come from California. I wasn't surprised in Provo when I learned that was the source but outside of DC I would have though May Wah on Hester St would have had that market wrapped up. Anyway, I asked to see the diff...

Pros: great food, clean, friendly
kgriffithg
kgriffithg

Great place!

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2010

Lotus is just as good, if not slightly better, than Sunflower in Vienna, though not nearly as widely known. This place is really underrated. The food is excellent, with most options being vegan and only a few being vegetarian with milk and/or eggs. I haven't gone wrong on the menu yet. They can also serve very quickly if you are in a hurry. One of my favorite restaurants.

Jaelus
Jaelus

Best vegan sandwiches in the area

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

The inside of this place looks like a converted tex mex restaurant, but don't let that fool you. Although this is mainly a vegan asian food restaurant, they have several vegan sandwiches and vegan American style food on the menu (veggie burger, turkey club, fried fish, tempeh, tofu burger) as well as things like fries, chicken nuggets, etc.. and they are all absolutely amazing. The staff is very friendly and the food is delicious, the only thing to watch out for is that they make everything as soon as you order it and bring it out as soon as it's done. As a result you tend to get everything at once: appetizers, entrees, soups, salads.. and it can overwhelm the table. The kitchen is extremely fast, so I recommend ordering your appetizers/soups when you sit down, and then order your entrees as soon as the apps get to the table.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good value
Cons: Weird decor
maverick
maverick

great vegetarian food

4 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2010

great selection of oriental vegan dishes.

favorites include the pan fried dumplings, lotus spicy (which can be made not spicy), general tsao's surprise, and a mushroom asparagus dish.

the choices of vegetables aren't always traditional oriental ones that you'd expect in some of the dishes. you may or may not like this.

minirunner2
minirunner2

Great Chinese food

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2009

When we lived in Virginia I took my parents to this restaurant and my meat loving father LOVED the food, he still talks about it. They have delicious chinese food, my kids loved it as well. If you are in the D.C. area this is a great place to get some delicious vegetarian chinese food.

GinaMarie
GinaMarie

Will you marry me?

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2009

I am completely in love with this restaurant. I only visit this area a few times a year for work, but I make it a top priority to eat at this restaurant every time. Everything I've tried there is great, and their cups look like plastic but are made from environmentally friendly plant materials - how crazy cool is that? Their General Tso's chicken is bliss!!

Pros: everything
Cons: they don't have a location in Florida
gallo39
gallo39

Carry Me Back to New Virginia!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

The Lotus Restaurant was a great find and we enjoyed it immensely. The dishes we tried, a string bean dish and one featuring burdock, were both tasty and we also enjoyed the radish cake appetizer. The waitpersons were attentive and pleasant and it was overall a delightful dining experience. We will be back to try some of the other items on their wonderfully extensive vegan friendly menu.

ZeldaLara
ZeldaLara

The Best Veggie Chinese in the area

5 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2009

This review is taken from my DC Area review Web site, http://larasvegi-table.com.

This is a new kid in the Veggie restaurant sandbox. So far, this newbie has remained relatively undiscovered. This concerns me, since decent veggie restaurants are hard to come by. I think part of the problem has been the location out in Chantilly.
Location aside, this is becoming my favorite veggie Chinese food (stealing the crown from Chopsticks House in Sterling). There food seems fresher, and made with love.

My 1st test for a place of this nature is the spring rolls. Any Chinese restaurant that does not have decent spring rolls (Not their inferior cousin, the egg roll) is not worth their salt. Lotus' spring rolls are superb. The veggies inside are crisp and obviously not the kind of rolls bought from the frozen food section. A lot of restaurants these days have bland rolls where the veggies all blend together and are over-cooked. Lotus is of the caliber that makes theirs by hand, the veggies are not cooked within an inch of their life. Each one stands out and compliments the whole at the same time.

What surprised me most was the inclusion of hot and sour soup on their menu. Typically made with beef broth, it is often shunned on veggie menus. The few times I have tried vegetarian version, they just did not taste like the soup I remember from my carnivorous days. I decided to give Lotus' version a try. I honestly could not tell the difference. They had found the perfect veggie recipe to mimic the soup I used to love to eat. The wonton soup is also fantastic.

In the entrée department, I have had the General Tso Surprise, Manchurian Palate, Cashew "Chicken," and Singapore Rice Noodle.

If you have eaten at Sunflower, you have probably eaten their General Tso Surprise. In my humble opinion, Lotus' is a superior product. I enjoy the sauce and texture of the soy protein much more. This is a perfect dish for veggie beginners, or carnivores being dragged to a veggie restaurant against their will. The Manchurian Palate is almost the same thing, with the slight change in the sauce, and the use of steamed cauliflower instead of broccoli. This dish was very delicious, but not quite as good as its sister dish. The sauce has a little less sweetness to it. That seems to be the only difference in these two dishes. If given the choice, I would go with the General Tso every time.

Everything I have had there has been superb.

Pros: THE BEST CHINESE , The most friendly staff, extensive menu
Cons: Location is not the best
pheasance
pheasance

Tasty fish sandwich

3 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

I enjoyed the "fish" sandwich. This place is rather oddly decorated -- it looks like a Tex-Mex fast-food place on the inside, so I wouldn't recommend it for a date. The menu was large and appeared to have several interesting options. I'd recommend it for a casual lunch or dinner if you're in the area.

Pros: large menu
Cons: decor
dalgal
dalgal

great vegetarian chinese food

5 Posted on 07 / 15 / 2008

the place has a laidback atmosphere. you can order up front or take a menu and have the waitress take your order. they have decent lunch specials, but i was there for dinner. i had hot & sour soup and pad thai. the soup was great. the pad thai didn't really taste like pad thai, more like pad taiwanese...but it was still really good. i would definitely go back. the people there are also really nice and welcoming.

Pros: good tasting food, fast service, decently priced

Dear Owner and Manager of Lotus Vegetarian: