Victoria vegan restaurant serving Chinese food. Small but popular. Offers buffet lunch and a la carte menu dinner. Use a variety of vegetables, mock meats, glutens, and protein fibers (like soy) to create an exotic menu based on Buddhist principles. The lunch buffet is a pay-by-weight style, and it is reduced to half-price starting at 2:30 pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Buddhist, Buffet

First Review by dkingdesigndotcom
Chenley
Chenley

Met all expectations!

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

After reading HappyCow reviews, hubby and I rushed to eat at Lotus Pond.
Ppl mention its dingy but honestly we found it very clean, the staff was also very friendly and the service fast and efficient! We went at 5 for dinner on a Sunday and had the place to ourselves for most of the dinner!
We ordered a 3 item combo.
Tried both the wonton soup and hot and sour. Both delicious, the wonton itself was amazing-broth a lil weak but wonton made up for it. Hot and sour was packed with flavor and veggies and tofu and yumminess! Also comes with spring rolls which are so crunchy and good!!
We had the sweet and sour soya balls which were to die for. The plate was HUGE! Thick, pancake like batter- little bit sweet and very addicting. Best part is I didn't find them over fried, as a clean eater even a few French fries will give me belly aches but these gave only pleasure!
Also had the Bean Curd Skins in lemon sauce. Didn't even know what it was but so glad we ordered. Unique and very pleasurable dish, can't wait to explore more with that ingredient!
And we got way over zelest and got the Buddha delight. Giant plate of veggies and the like! Note- does have a bit of a fermenty- fungusy flavor for those who aren't sure! Great for the digestion however and the bok choy was like candy.
Anddd came with rice.
Lets just say that's enough food for like 4-6 ppl... The two of us brought home doggie bags.
Will most certainly be back again and again! And was so exciting to look at a menu and be able to use or eat everything!!

Pros: Huge variety, Fresh, fast, delicious, Unique dishes
RattleHeade
RattleHeade

Dinner at Lotus Pond

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2014

We went for dinner at Lotus Pond last night, I had been there once before for the Lunch Buffet. This time we ordered from the menu, where they made it fresh for us. A very enjoyable meal, from the Mock Chicken balls in a pineapple sauce (chunks of the pineapple itself were like candy), Buddha's Feast (with a great selection of fungus/mushrooms) and our crunchy & spicy chow mien with vegi's. All very good, satisfying. Reasonable price, friendly hosts. Look forward to going back again, soon.

Pros: Selection, Freshness, Friendly
Cons: none
blisssu
blisssu

Lovely lunch at the Lotus Pond

5 Posted on 09 / 23 / 2013

My husband and I probably wouldn't have gone into Lotus Pond had we not seen its enthusiastic reviews on Happy Cow and been very hungry for lunch. It's not prepossessing from the outside, but we read the extensive all-vegan menu posted in the window and decided to give it a try. So glad we did. Inside, the small dining room was simple but clean, and the staff was welcoming. We chose from the small but attractive buffet and paid by weight. Too bad we didn't have enough time in Victoria to return and order from the extensive printed menu as a few other customers had. Everything was fresh and delicious, and it's such a treat to go to an all-vegan place and not have to wonder about ordering something unfamiliar that might be made with meat. The turnip cake was delicious and a new dish for me, and the spring roll was noisily crispy and flavorful. I particularly like restaurants that offer vegan desserts, and I was attracted to the colorful lotus flower and sesame cakes, even though I assumed they'd be too sweet. Well, they were sweet, but crunchy and tasty too, and the rice-and-wheat-flour pastry enfolding the fillings was flakey enough to rival a well-made pie crust. So much for pre-judgements. The staff was friendly and helpful and we left Lotus Pond full and very happy.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 23, 2013

Updated from previous review on Monday September 23, 2013

Pros: delicious all-vegan food, many choices, nice vibe
Cons: looks dingy from outside, tables a bit crowded
krissimi
krissimi

Delicious and peaceful

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

This is a sweet place for a peaceful and healthy meal.

Pros: location and atmosphere, food options
vegan frog
vegan frog

Very good Chinese food

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

Easy to find small restaurant in downtown Victoria. The food at Lotus Pond was really good and service friendly. The taro rolls were delicious. They use a lot of veggies in their dishes, unlike some other vegan Chinese restaurants.
Worth trying if you're in town.

Profound_Raincloud
Profound_Raincloud

Chinese Food *YUM*

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2013

We stopped into Lotus Pond on a Saturday for lunch. The buffet looked tasty but being nightshade free ordering off the menu seems like a better option.

We ordered the dinner for 2. It came with spring rolls, wonton soup and brown rice. The two dishes we choose to include were lemon bean curd and buddha's delight.

I advised the server of my allergies and it seemed like maybe she didn't understand what I had meant but when the food came out there was not a nightshade in sight :)

Everything was tasty! The hubster said he found it to be the best veggie place with this type of fare he has ever been too. I quite in enjoyed the lemon bean curd, it tasted alot like egg in my opinion, kinda of like a lemon egg. Maybe that doesn't sound the greatest but it really was good! The spring rolls IMHO were a bit over cooked. The hubster and I both agreed the broth in the wonton soup was heavenly!

Definitely a place I would go back to if visiting Victoria again!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Excellent Value
Cons: Looks run down
Peacock41
Peacock41

Great Food!

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2012

Really good selection for lunch buffet. Since it's pay by weight we had to pick and choose what we took, because we wanted it all!! Very satisfying and delicious!

Pros: great food
marie23
marie23

• raw

Excellent Chinese food

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2012

I tend to find most Chinese food greasy and unappealing, but this place had the best Chinese food I've ever eaten! The menu had lots of faux meats and seafood and the staff seemed very friendly. I ate there the last time I was in Victoria which was two or three years ago now and I still dream about this restaurant! I may have to make a special trip back to Victoria just to eat there again!

Pros: Great food
tejasjjain
tejasjjain

good customer service

4 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2012

We were late and they were closing the restaurant. We requested them to open late for us and they did. Between 8 of us, we tried all the items and we liked it.
I wish they would have used fresh herbs like basil and cilantro to add flavors (but we were late so they may have run out of these).

Pros: good customer service, fresh food, many options
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

This place is awesome!

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

We tried this place last summer on our trip. It was amazing! We loved it so much we ate their twice. The hours are kinda dumb and it looks run down but the food was worth it. I was a litte confused by the pay per weight option for the buffet. I eat a lot and find it a pain in the ass to fill one plate (pay for the weight of the plate), eat, and then fill up only to have to pay again. I'm lazy. Good food though and interesting selection.

Pros: Good food, Buffet style, Reasonable pricing
Cons: Pay per plate buffet confusing, Can get insanely busy, Kinda sketchy looking
Zaria_Athena
Zaria_Athena

Mmmm

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

A great veggie restaurant. I love both the buffet and menu options. I visit this restaurant at least twice during every business trip to Victoria.
The combination plates are a great value.

Pros: Excellent food
Cons: can be busy
Lek
Lek

always amazing

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

We live in Victoria and enjoy Lotus Pond whenever we are downtown for the lunch hour or for take out in the evenings when we don't have the time to eat out...yum... turnip cakes, won ton soup and fake chicken balls. Our meat eating friends enjoy this place as well because it is so delicious. I do not appreciate onions in my food, and i crave the fake meats, so this place is perfection. It is comfortable diner-like place and the staff have always been friendly and accommodating.

Pros: delicious, affordable, good variety
Kind Cindy
Kind Cindy

Just LOVED it!

5 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

We were in Victoria over the week-end and we made a point of getting lunch at the Lotus Pond. The selection is so vast and by taking the three-option special, we had plenty of food for 3 people plus leftovers for a picnic the next day. All for under 35$. I really enjoyed the bean curd in lemon sauce and their chef's choice chow mein had very nicely seasoned and cut seitan in it. There is no quetion that I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Victoria!

It is a smaller type establishment and I would not say it was very fancy if you are looking to have a "dinner out" dining experience. But the location and food are so great that this is easily overlooked in my view.

Pros: Easy to find, Vegan
kgeiger
kgeiger

lotus pond

4 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2011

it's always a good cheap backup, especially on a busy Friday around 6 where it seems you can't get into anywhere else. excellent pricing for students who are strap on cash but still would like to go out to eat once in a while.

Pros: cheap, portion sizes are large
Cons: small, a lot of their food is greasy or fried, could be a line up depending on time of day.
Lettuce Muncher
Lettuce Muncher

Loved it!!

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2010

I loved this place so much we went there for dinner and then brunch the next day. It's a small cafe that has odd hours, so be sure to check. The server was quiet but nice. There is no garlic, onions, etc in their food, but they manage to make it taste great anyways! We ordered from the "combos" section of the menu, which meant less main course but came with soup, spring rolls and rice. We had the Sweet and Sour Soya balls, and they were amazing. The Pan Fried Vegetables were also great. We went back for the lunch buffet, which has a small selection of "pay by weight" choices, including the Sweet and Sour Soya balls. It was affordable, although several options were added on for $1.00 instead of by weight. You also had to pay for the sauce. I wish I lived closer because this place is awesome!

Pros: Sweet and Sour Soya Balls!, Vegan
CLRtraveller
CLRtraveller

good food

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

In the heart of downtown. Buffet (pay by weight) and menu. All vegan. Chinese style. Well-prepared and tasty food. I especially like the turnip cakes. Buffet has stir-fries, stews, spring rolls, noodles, vegetables, etc.
Nice to be able to drop in mid-afternoon and have a good meal or get take-out. Pleasant staff.

Pros: vegan, tasty food
AtheistQueen
AtheistQueen

Fabulous vegan food

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2010

My husband & I celebrated our 8th anniversary in Victoria & I chose this place for dinner. The restaurant is small but the tables were pretty much filled, and many tables seemed like they were regular customers. The menu has so many options! We decided on crispy spring rolls (piping hot, great dipping sauce). I had a bowl of their Veggie Seafood & Vegetables Noodle Soup. It was a HUGE bowl and could have easily served 2-3 people! We shared the #27 Mock Salmon in Peking Sauce (Soya Texture with Carrot Juice for Coloring and slightly wrap in seaweed) and #30 Pan Fried Seasonal Greens with mock meat (we chose mock chicken & fresh green beans). No room for dessert, we were stuffed full of good vegan food and walked back to our hotel by Fisherman's Wharf.

Pros: Delicious, Plentiful portions, Healthy
Carlinne
Carlinne

Fabulous

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2010

So glad I went! Amazing mock sweet and sour pork! Staff was so accommodating and helpful with menu suggestions. Great place to stop for a meal in Victoria.

Pros: Great value, great taste, friendly staff
jaydave
jaydave

Lotus Pond Video Review - Part 1

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

Check out Lotus Pond review at:

Part 2 to follow that includes the food! :)

Pros: tasty food, large variety, healthy
Rachel16
Rachel16

So very awesome!

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2009

If you want great cheap vegan chinese food this is the place to go. You can get a large plate of food during their buffet for only $5-7, and it is really good. Their dinner menu is a little more expensive but still great food :) If you are in Victoria you have to check it out. Beware that they are closed on Mondays.

Pros: cheap, good food, large portions
Cons: dinner menu expensive, not open Mondays
Mighty Vegan
Mighty Vegan

Good Chinese Vegetarian Restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2009

We visited Lotus Pond last week. The restaurant was small but doing a good business. The wait staff was friendly. I got the Sweet and Sour Soya Balls and the Buddhas Feast soup. The soup was a great value, as it was excellent and a large portion for the price. The soya balls were very good but as my wife pointed at they were so deep fried they tasted more like zeppolis. So I guess my dish was not quite health food but it was very good none the less, and there is a large variety of other things you can order. If you are vegetarian and in Victoria I would definitely recommend this place, particularly if you are with friends that are meat eaters they will probably enjoy it as well as there are many meat like substitutes on the menu.

Pros: Good chinese food, Variety of dishes on menu, Good for vegetarians and non vegetarians
Cons: Some foods are heavily fried
nettietheyeti
nettietheyeti

Small, but good food

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2009

The food here is very tasty, but I find it greasy. The restaurant is cozy, which means that you better be able to maneuver chopsticks well, or else you'll be poking your neighbour in the face with your elbow. I never had a problem with any of the staff and the food here is cheaper than Green Cuisine and for the most part tastier, but less healthy.

Pros: Taste, Cozy, Oriental
Cons: Greasy, Small
maryb
maryb

i love lotus pond!

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2008

i've been going there for years! they have a big menu, and the meal packages are a really good deal. pretty much eveything on the menu is really good! the servers are usually pretty rude, and the decor is nothing special, so i especially like getting take-out - and it's always quick.

Pros: tasty, price
Ebet
Ebet

Different experience?

3 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2008

I regret writing something not-so-positive about a vegan restaurant but my husband and I did not have the best of experiences at the Lotus Pond. We asked the staff person to recommend some dishes for us and even those they recommended were pretty flavorless wih overcooked veggies, or at least to our taste. They do note on their menu that they avoid garlic, onions, etc. so maybe that makes a difference to those who are used to those flavors. I see that others have had very positive experiences here, so perhaps we just happened in on a bad night or something. To us, though, the food was much better at Green Cuisine down the street.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Vegan
Cons: Bland and not flavorful (to me)
skymonkey
skymonkey

best vegetarian restaurant in victoria

4 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2007

there is not much competition in victoria. out of the 2 true vegetarian restaurants, we prefer this one. the lunch buffet selection is limited, but the half price deal from 2.30 to 3pm makes it worth while. their menu has much greater selections.

Jetgirly
Jetgirly

Take Your Meat-Eating Friends Here

4 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2007

I seriously went to Lotus Pond with my dad, who is an Atkins Diet type of guy. Amazingly, both he and I were spoiled for choice from their extensive vegan, Buddhist menu (Buddhist cuisine means it won't have any onions, garlic, shallots, etc.). They have a variety of "imitation meat" dishes, a standout of which was the Lemon "Chicken". It had that same crisp bite as real fried chicken, but it was made from either tofu or tempeh (I forget!). Prices are very reasonable. We both ordered combos which came with soup, rice and an entree (two people get two combos = two entrees) and paid about $25. I'm definitely going back... and I'll make reservations to skip the line!

Pros: excellent "fake meats", very good value, extensive menu
Cons: needs more seating
dkingdesigndotcom
dkingdesigndotcom

VERY AFFORDABLE*YUMMY BUFFET LUNCHES*

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2007

YUMMY DINNER, TOO! ( we find the dinner a little pricey.) We usually spend around 20 CND there(for 2 dishes, not including the gratuity) for dinner. For lunch, we spent only 7 CND (they weigh your foods, there were around 8 choices there- and we put 4 of them on our 1 plate).
Yup, always for the two of us (reg the prices). So: real cheap lunch, :)! Too bad, we only ate lunch there once. We ate dinner there at least 3 times. Always great. Tea costs around 1.50 CND per teapot. They used tea-bags (I personally don't think that tea bag is healthy.) They gave you candies which have red stripes, we asked them if it uses colourings, but they didn't understand us. In any case, this place defenately has the yummiest, most affordable cuisine in Victoria, :D!
VERY HOSPITABLE STAFF, although they are forever on the go- the small place has always been a full-house.

Pros: YUMMY Lunches & Dinners, BUDGET LUNCHES, HOSPITABLE STAFF!
Cons: Not all of the entries have a pic?

Dear Owner and Manager of Lotus Pond: