Lotus Pond Vegetarian...

Menu includes assorted mockmeat dishes in addition to vegetables. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese

First Review by erbavore
gwild
gwild

good dim sum - many choices

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

They are now called Lotus Vegetarian Restaurant. We ordered off the DIM SUM menu. The choices are overwhelming. They gave me a large menu, a specials menu and a dim sum menu. We ordered numerous items and shared between four people. The total cost was $35. Nothing was outstanding but all was very good. The seaweed rolls were deepfried but very tasty. We also liked the mini buns which were steamed and a tofu dish. I wish I could remember the exact names of what we ate but she took our dim sum order sheet and I lost track of what we received.
The people beside us ordered off the main menu and their food looked much more appetizing. (almost 200 menu items) I wish they had fewer choices and pictures so we knew what to order.
The place was packed and we were the only non-Asian people in the restaurant.

Pros: fresh, friendly, quick service
Cons: too many menu items
matt goldman
matt goldman

Great vietnamese food

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2011

Great and cheap vegan vietnamese food. Service is terrific.I like very much.The biggest menu.

Updated from previous review on Thursday July 07, 2011
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 07, 2011

NovazMom
NovazMom

we are regulars

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2010

One of our very fav places, we are there a few times a month - at least!
As others have said, some of the servers are not fuent in english; but others are and all have been friendly with us. We are laco-ovo, so don't mind if there is some egg and dairy. We LOVE almost every dish we've ordered there. This is where we bring our meat-eating friends and the all leave telling us they are satisfied and would return. Many do.

Ken4057
Ken4057

Vegans beware

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2010

I've been here twice and liked the food both times. However, they are not pure veg - some of the dishes have dairy and egg in them.

I tried to explain our vegan desires to our server the second time, but she spoke limited English, and the menu was useless (unlike menus in many other Chinese-Buddhist joints, which identify dairy and egg on them). I have a feeling - though she was insistent they were fine - that one or two items may not have been completely vegan.

That said, everything was, as the kids say these days, 'hella' good. Fresh veggies, especially mushrooms, and diverse combinations. The biggest menu I've seen next to the lamented defunct (well, technically relocated, but without the selection) Bo De Duyen on Spadina.

Pros: stellar dishes, well portioned, huge menu
Cons: difficult to communicate w/out Cantonese, not clear what isn't vegan, rough location w/out a car
Guest
Guest

Amazing!

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2007

This is my favourite vegetarian restaurant. The "sweet +sour pork" is soo good! I love the milk pudding dessert too. Highly recommend for meat eaters too.

erbavore
erbavore

A breath of fresh air

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2006

Toronto may have more pure vegetarian restaurants than any other city in the world except for New York or in India. Yet the quality of the restaurants in Toronto have been rather dissapointing.

Yet Lotus Pond by far has the best quality I have tasted in Toronto to date. The pan fried veggie chicken was actually quite amazing.

Don't go here to get service. The server we had didn't speak english. Yet the food more than made up for any lack of service.

I spoke with a patron who helped us communicate with the server, and he was telling me that the 3 best veggie chinese restaruants were located right in this area.

He mentioned that the ones in downtown focus on quanity, while the suburbs focus on quality. I hope this helps

Pros: GREAT FOOD, Very Busy, I love that
Cons: Service was a little more

Dear Owner and Manager of Lotus Pond Vegetarian Restaurant: