Quiet environment with a small Chinese bookstore in it. Clean food, possible to eat and feel full at around 100rmb per person. Very difficult to find because it's in a hidden yard but with nice decoration. Name in Chinese: 荷塘月色(左家庄店). Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, International

peanutplans
peanutplans

Worst Experience Ever

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2014

It Took us over 2 hours to find it. When We finally did, it turned so sad. We stood inside thé entrance of the empty restaurant for a while before à young woman appeared to ask us Why We were standing there. I asked kindly if she spoke english. She huffed and puffed at us before sitting back down to eat her snack, never looking in our direction. Very ugly behavior.

Pros: Nothing
Cons: Rude, Old dusty walls and furniture.
bingxianli
bingxianli

Great and unforgettable experience

Posted on 06 / 20 / 2013

In 2011 I had dinner there for three times! I truly enjoy it! If you want a peaceful place to chat and have a nice dinner with your friends and loved ones, you should go. The price is not matters, because you don't get there each day!

Pros: Peaceful environment, Friendly staff, a bookstore
mumpsimus
mumpsimus

Cosy and quiet

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

If you're going here for the first time, write down the phone number and once you are in a cab dial it and their staff will explain the rest to the driver. They are obviously used to people having trouble getting there, after I called to make a reservation they send me a text message with a description to the restaurant, unprompted.
They do have a second branch right outside the east gate of worker's stadium, which is easier to find but I prefer the original one. The decor is unique and beautiful and I like the fact that it is hidden inside an old Beijing residential compound.
The menu comes with English translations and photos so if you don't read or speak Chinese you will still be able to make easy choices. I assume staff also speaks some English. Like most vegetarian restaurants in Beijing Lotus in Moonlight relies heavily on mockmeat dishes, I wish they had some more vegetable choices but this is the case for almost all vegetarian restaurants I go to. The service is attentive and friendly here, the food ranges from delicious (their Jiaozi are great, also Tofu in Sesame Sauce) to average. The soup with meat balls we tried was tasty but the meatballs were really chewy. My girl-friend actually gave up on them. Prices are moderate for a vegetarian restaurant, and that is exactly where I would place Lotus in Moonlight: Food quality is slightly lower than Pure Lotus but it is also half the price and in general a bit more down to earth. With its dim lights and beautiful soothing music, it was the perfect location for our date last night, will definitely be back.

Pros: atmosphere, moderate prices, remote location
Cons: dishes not always great, hard to find

gymgirl
gymgirl

Simply fantastic

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2012

This is by far one of the best vegetarian restaurants I've been to. Our appetiser arrived on a huge seashell, and the presentation of all our other food was similarly stunning. The food was delicious, and a great deal of thought had obviously been put into each dish. There were also teas complementing the wide variety of dishes, which made the experience even more special.

The manager was particularly welcoming to us as foreigners, and helped us to choose the tastiest dishes. His recommendations were unarguable. The service was excellent, the decor was extremely well done if not too extravagent.

All in all a fantastic dining experience (I returned there 3 times during my 5 days in Beijing). The only problem was that it was VERY hard to find. As a previous reviewer said, however, this may be a good thing for some people who live in/frequently travel to Beijing!

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent presentation, Excellent service
Cons: Hard to find, Quite expensive for Beijing
barefoot hare
barefoot hare

Best Veg Ever (don't tell anyone)

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2011

I go to Beijing once per year. I am sure some of you have reasons that certain spots are better than others. I can't speak for everyone, but this is the best vegetarian dining experience anywhere I have visited. The food is sublime, the service is excellent and the decor is very peaceful and relaxing. I never filled my own tea cup - the servers were really amazing. I love the neighborhood, too.

I have eaten here every year for 3 years running and it is consistent. I usually order 3 or more dishes, so that I can mix things up. So far, I have not been able to talk my meat-eating friends into going, so it's just me so far. I would suggest this for business clients who are flexible/ folks who would appreciate something different. This year, I ate there 3 nights, as I just got sick of choosing pork, fish, chicken, beef... at the other places around town. As a vegetarian, it's way too hard eating traditional restaurants especially when I don't speak anything but English.

What a magnificent treat. It's well worth the effort to find this spot (walk fron subway-Lufang Station). But, don't tell too many people (I am fighting with myself to keep this a secret or tell the world - Ha ha)!

Pros: great food, great selection, great service
Cons: location not central
dumpling
dumpling

keep looking

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

If you seek you will find. Ha ha I almost didn't but glad I did. It was a long time ago but I still remember the steaming lotus bowl that they put on my table with lotus seeds in the middle, thought that was lovely. Felt a bit silly being there by myself, I think they asked me where my friends were ha ha. Pretty sure the food was just lovely with lots of little snacky things to eat. Service seemed polite, helpful and friendly. Would love to go back with friends.

Pros: yummy, very pleasant, spiritual
Cons: hard to find
bhukit-tima
bhukit-tima

Hard to find - difficult to leave once there

Posted on 10 / 23 / 2010

Was invited today by business partners to this restaurant. As it is not THAT easy to find vegetarian restaurants in Beijing this place is really charming.
Splendid traditional interior, lots of wood, traditional drawings on the wall.
We had very caring waiting staff. The choice and selection of food was outstanding. Great display on the menu. And it actually looks like the pictures once they serve it.
We spend a few hours there, tried a lot of stuff. My business partners never had vegetarian food before but were astonished by the taste and the richness of flavors.

Can definitely recommend and will come back!

It's difficult to find though, took the driver a few calls to actually get there.

Pros: choice, flavors
Cons: difficult to find
wsh79
wsh79

3rd recurring visit to this restuarant

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2010

Whenever i'm in Beijing, i will not miss this restuarant...Located in a serence area, not easy to find, but definitely worth visiting. (close to CIEC, around 10mins walk). Even my non-veg colleagues love it. Though i find food abit expensive.

Prussi
Prussi

Only worth a gongbao (fake-)chicken

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2008

I live only two minutes by foot away from this place and should be happy, but actually I prefer other places much more. I like the Chinese community around, it is very green and the place fits there. But I don't think it is a recommendation for travelers. The waiters are a kind of careless and the food has special Chinese flavours which Europeans aren't used to. On the other hand they have a few dishes I like a lot. If you go there, then try the spicy chicken with peanuts (gongbao chicken).

Pros: secret place, very quiet
Cons: not easy to find, bored staff, some seats are hard wood banks
tofutodd
tofutodd

Lotus in Moonlight is fair food for fair prices

Posted on 12 / 09 / 2005

Prices about average for Beijing (15-50rmb for dishes), and I dropped about 125rmb on dinner for myself. But what I got was very bland and I felt I must have been mislead by the poor english translated menu. maybe I just didn't spend enough. But with 3 failed dishes, I didn;t want to try a 2nd time. The place was busy so maybe I just had bad luck. It took my taxi driver a phone call or two to find it. I spoke to some other patrons and they seemed to be pleased with their food after I complained about mine - so you should at least give it a try if you're nearby.

Pros: Fair value, Good service, better than avg atmoshper
Cons: Obscure address, Bland food, Staff speak no english

Dear Owner and Manager of Lotus in Moonlight: