CLOSED: Lotus Cafe and...

Serves meat, veg options available. Predominantly vegetarian cafe with many vegan and vegetarian savory choices clearly marked on menu. Has gluten-free. Vegan items also include one soup daily, in-house-made cupcakes, and shakes. Another location in downtown Encinitas. SHUT DOWN IN 2013. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Mexican, Juice bar, Take-out, Non-veg
3955 5th Ave (Village Hillcrest)
San Diego, California 92103
619-795-2446

Open Mon-Fri 10am-9pm, Sat-Sun 8am-9pm.

First Review by lnmagnee
johanna~Lotus Cafe
johanna~Lotus Cafe

Location closed: Please come see us in Encinitas!

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

Dear Hillcrest Friends,

We have loved getting to know all of you and serving you these past 18 months! We are so sorry to be closing this location and we will miss all of you!

Please visit us at our Encinitas location:

Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar
765 South Coast Highway 101
(in the Lumberyard)
Encinitas, California 92024
(760) 479-1977

We are open in Encinitas 7 days a week, 9:00am - 9:00pm.
Gift cards from the Hillcrest location can be used at our Encinitas
location.

We will be waiting for you with smiles on our faces and arms wide open!

Love and Blessings,

Carl and Johanna Wright
and the Lotus Cafe Staff

* * * * * *

My husband and i, who are the owners of Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar, have been long-time vegetarians (18+ years). We wanted to create a place where vegans, vegetarians, and my own family (who is not vegetarian) could come and happily share a meal together.

Lotus Cafe is dedicated to serving fresh, natural, healthy food at affordable prices, prepared with love, simplicity, and a joyful heart. Our ingredients are sourced with care and are always natural. We use local produce; certain things on the menu are always organic, others are as cost permits. Items that are not certified organic have been grown as cleanly as possible; (i.e. some farmers grow organically but can't afford the certification process).

We bake our vegan cupcakes in-house fresh every morning; and always have two homemade soups every day: one is always vegan, the other is always vegetarian. Everything on the menu is clearly marked with icons to note which items are vegan, strict vegetarian, vegetarian and/or gluten-free. Our menu can be previewed on our website: www.lotuscafeandjuicebar.com.

We have a wide range of offerings: soups, appetizers, a children's menu, salads with organic lettuce, and entrees. Our juice bar squeezes fresh organic carrot juice, organic veggie juice, and fresh organic wheatgrass shots. The juice bar also offers a wide selection of fruit smoothies, made with fruit juice and fruit only (no ice, water, or fillers), and also milk shakes that can be made vegan using soy milk and soy ice cream.

Pros: healthy cuisine, affordable , excellent food
LoveLifeinSD
LoveLifeinSD

Newfound Neighborhood Favorite!

4 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2012

I have heard so many great things about this place from my friends in North County, so when I read that Lotus Cafe was coming to Hillcrest, I couldn't wait to try it.

Since it is conveniently located right in between my home and work (as well as where I workout), it's the perfect place to stop for a healthy, yet delicious, lunch, dinner or post-workout snack.

What I love most, is that so often I refrain from "picking up food" or "eating out" due to my diet constraints and the unhealthiness of so many nearby restaurants. Everything I've ordered from Lotus Cafe has been wholesome, fresh, and above all, tastes good and satisfies my craving.

My favorite is the 1/2 tuna sandwich & side salad. So good! Its just the right amount to leave me feeling full, but not too heavy at all. I love the fresh smoothies, which are the perfect post-workout snack, and try to snag one as often as I can.

If you haven't tried Lotus Cafe - it's a must! With such a huge menu, you'll never run out of new things to try. :)

Pros: Validated parking , Big selection , convenient location
gmichan
gmichan

• non-vegetarian

Healthy, Great Tasting Food & Casual Surroundings

4 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2012

I personally loved my experience at Lotus Cafe. I ordered the Tuna Sandwich with a side of Lentil Soup. My taste buds were satisfied and so was my stomach. The portions were perfectly sized and I left feeling full, but not stuffed. The service was admirable and the environment was relaxed and comfortable. I enjoyed my meal so much; I decided to order out for lunch the next day.

Pros: healthy cuisine, perfect portions, friendly staff
jennilynn
jennilynn

Love this place!

4 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2012

I've been to Lotus Cafe & Juice Bar several times, and I am never disappointed. The lettuce and vegetables are consistently fresh and crisp, and the fish is always fresh as well. I love the Neptune fish tacos and the Hidden Valley salad. I've had the carrot shake, and the strawberry banana boost smoothie is my favorite!

In addition, Lotus Cafe validates parking for the parking structure beneath the restaurant. In Hillcrest, where parking is known for being a headache, this is like gold!

Pros: very reasonably priced, flavorful entrees, always fresh and tasty
beckybaby_2002
beckybaby_2002

Fabulous, spacious restuarant with LOTS of options

4 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2012

This stunning new restaurant in Hillcrest is a MUST for vegans and vegetarians. Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar's owners are quite health and veggie focused, showcased by a massive menu that has dozens of vegan and vegetarian options. The menu has a great set of cute icons of showing what is Vegan-as is, Vegan option, honey-vegan and honey-vegan option. Check out the "Eden's Delight" sandwich or Harvest salad.

Pros: welcoming staff , tons of menu items, validated parking!

lnmagnee
lnmagnee

Lovely Lotus

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2012

I ordered a cupcake and a "Pineapple Blush" smoothie. The smoothie had orange, pineapple, strawberry, but I could really only taste orange. I expected a small cafe that only offered baked goods and drinks, but the space was large and there was an extensive food menu.

Pros: friendly staff, good location

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Lotus Cafe and Juice Bar: