Located on the 3rd floor on a busy street in the city center with plenty of seating. Offers a variety of salads, Mexican food, soups, and more with vegan options. A menu of the day costs around 90 pesos. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Mexican, Beer/Wine, Delivery
Avenida Francisco I. Madero 56 (Centro Historico Ciudad)
Mexico City, Mexico 06000
Closed time

Mon-Sun 8:00am-8:00pm

First Review by tsmith6
Douja
Douja

Not a very good experience

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2015

I had dinner there a few days ago and i was quite disappointed. The 2 waiters who served me did not know what was vegan or could be made vegan on the menu, obviously very little. They did not even know the composition of the sauces in the pastas. I finally ask for spaguettis with tomato sauce and a green soup as it seems the only thing they can make vegan. They brought me penne with cheese and cream in the soup. The owner (or manager) sees that and take everything back to the kitchen. She proposes to add mushrooms to my pasta, which I agree to happily. Finally they bring me the soup without cream. But it seems someone just spilled the whole bottle of salt in it and I can't eat it despite willing to. The padta comes and I understand why they brought penne the first time: it seems they did not have enough spaguettis so they mixed it with flat linguinis. The tomato sauce is a broth from tomato concentrate in can. No sight of a mushroom. Plus the portion is ridiculously small. I just thought I should have cooked myself a good plate of pasta with real tomatoes, finished my papaya juice and ran away.

Pros: Location, Kind staff, Papaya juice
Cons: The food, The service, The Unprofessionalism
Freegan Reich
Freegan Reich

the blandest food I have ever eaten

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2015

I went here after hiking Teotihuacan and so I was parched and hungry and they sat me down with someone else, a Mex. City emo kid who scrolled through his phone the whole time and ignored me. Everyone else was drinking juice and after being ignored for a long time I flagged down the waiter begging for food. I ordered something called "El Vegano" because while I can speak Spanish, I don't always understand what is what. Turns out the Vegano was: a slice of hot tofu with no taste, a sad tomato slice, some limp lettuce. There were also french fries which were decent and some tasteless steamed veggies. I asked for water, and they brought me a bottle, so I flagged down the manager and asked to have what others were having: some delicious fruit/water. Apparently it is only part of the "set menu" and otherwise you don't get any water: AT A RESTAURANT. Mind you I was seated with a stranger, someone was banging out horrid Christmas tunes, and the restaurant was really loud and crowded. I again had to beg for my bill and went to pay. When the aformentioned manager asked me how everything was I basically said, "The food was horrible- I ate it because I was hungry but I felt like I just ate a bag of packing peanuts" and she did not let me pay. Overall a really sad experience, which is deeply disappointing because I searched this place out and was really excited about it. :(

Pros: central location, at least vegetarian, better than nothing
Cons: vegan selection is a joke, it's loud! , packed to the gills and not in a good wa
cha222
cha222

Don't waste your time and your money

Posted on 10 / 02 / 2014

Thank you Lonely Planet for mentioning this place! We still can't believe this restaurant was listed: the food is really bad: no flavours, small portions (you'll buy something once in the street to fill you up), useless staff.
Just looking at the food in your plate tells you the story.

Cons: bland, poor quality, small portions

frads
frads

High Hopes, Terrible Food Experience

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

I had high hopes for this restaurant. It turns out they had no idea what vegan meant. There was not a single vegan option on the menu but I was assured they would gladly omit any cheese, egg or dairy products.

When I received my food I literally bit into a stuffing that consisted of a tablespoon of boiled potato with no flavor. They didn't actually attempt to put something into the food that might replace all the cheese, they just delivered a tasteless dish.

I obviously didn't try anything else or return to this place, though judging by the taste of what I was given, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the vegetarian options either.

Pros: Central Location
Cons: No Vegan Options, Tasteless Food
Evguy422
Evguy422

Not great for vegans

Posted on 04 / 15 / 2014

Nice place, located very centrally. If you're a vegetarian you're all set. But if you're vegan the options are pretty limited. They'll make the vegetarian food vegan but it's not great.

Pros: Good location, Totally vegetarian, English menu
Cons: Not really vegan, Food a little bland
OrgasmHurtsUs
OrgasmHurtsUs
  • non-vegetarian

Conveniently located and a fluoride-free kitchen

Posted on 03 / 19 / 2014

I ordered Guacamole and carrot juice for about $50. They use sea salt. Their portions are small but the location is central and the value is okay. Live music. Okay service.

Pros: No fluoridated salt used in kitchen, Central location, Quiet atmosphere
Cons: Small portions, No brown rice, White flour is used in some meals
tsmith6
tsmith6

bland food, mandatory tip

Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

Was surprised to find not many vegan options. I was feeling under the weather when we visited, so I ordered the garlic soup hoping to boost my immune system. It was not very garlicky, but its blandness was fine for my queasy stomach at the time. The waiter was not very friendly, and at the end of our meal we discovered that a mandatory tip had been added to our bill - and we were only a party of three. Overall, not a good experience.

Pros: some vegan options, table by window overlooks street
Cons: few vegan options, disgruntled waitstaff, bland food
  • OrgasmHurtsUs OrgasmHurtsUs

This review is too harsh I think. The place can be great if all you want is a small healthy meal in the middle of the city.

Dear Owner and Manager of Los Vegetarianos: