Serves meat, veg options available. Natural and organic food restaurant and is the private chef of musician Moby when he is in Belgium. First started in 1972 as health food store, and now it's also operating as a restaurant and deli. Offers vegetarian, vegan, raw in addition to tuna and chicken. Also on the menu are vegan softice, vegan whipped cream on cappuccino, organic sandwiches, veggie burger, California style salads, vegetable soups, breakfast, a vegan day-dish, and their famous GingerLove, a foamy hot ginger drink. Most of the pasta dishes and sandwiches are also available in gluten-free version. Seats 80 persons. Closed holidays. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Macrobiotic, Salad bar, European, Western, Non-veg

First Review by brownhare
Senkenberg
Senkenberg

Non-vegan Ginger Tea

1 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2014

Returned visit after a couple of years. The place is essentially the same, though the cultivated scruffiness is, I think, starting to look just scruffy rather than cool. There are a number of vegan labelled things on the menu, indicated with stick-on stars, some of which seemed to have fallen off some items on my version of menu but not my partner’s, so we checked and were told what was OK. There is a tasty vegan burger. However I ordered their Himalaya desert (vegan icecream with their signature ginger tea) only after double-checking with the waiter that it was vegan (it was labeled so on one menu and not on another) and was told it was. Saw their Ginger Tea in a shop later in the week and saw that the ingredients incuded milk products, which didn't inspire confidence in their vegan advice.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 05, 2014

Pros: Bad Vegan Advice, Premises
Cons: Central, Good Burger
Nunanuna
Nunanuna

I ate here 5 times

3 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2014

I ate here 5 times now. The reason I go back is because I have allergy to dairy and gluten, and this is a great place to eat for that, but it is expensive and the staff is a little demanding. I would happily go back if they would lower their prices.

Pros: Vegan gluten free options
Cons: uncomfortable seating
sglcklch
sglcklch

Great place

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

My partner and I enjoyed our lunch here very much. The whole place was kind of eclectic. Food was good, portions quite generous. What really impressed us were the staff (especially the owner). Super nice guy. He offered us free cheesecake and a hot ginger tea just because we agreed to move over to a two-person table for a group of six that just arrived. The cake wasn't vegan, so I took the tea, and it was DELICIOUS. Very central location. Highly recommended!

Pros: staff, good value, location

veganem
veganem

Selection of vegan items

3 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2013

I have been here a few times, the first was good- the second time they forgot my partner's meal, and the last time they forgot our drinks. Some of the ingredients are organic. Vegans also need to note that the GingerLove Tea that they sell contains non-vegan ingredients.

Pros: Good selection of vegan items
JanaPubli
JanaPubli

Amazing Vegetarian Restaurant

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

Yesterday, I went to restaurant Lombardia and I was amazed by their large menu of vegan and vegetarion food.
I enjoyed the delicious vegan dish of the with an ginger-carrot juice.
Besides the tasty food , it was an unique experience to be there!
The Restaurant itself was very authentic and special, and the people were extremely friendly.
Lombardia is a place I certainly would go back to when I'm in Antwerp!!!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff
Asleep On A Sunbeam
Asleep On A Sunbeam

Lombardia

2 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

When we got there we felt as if we were being looked down on by the staff. To be honest I'd go as far as thinking that they'd all but decided we were up to no good. The place comes recommended on other sites, like trip advisor, but our food was in small portions. The vegan burger I had was a bun and a tiny bit of falafel.

Nyanko
Nyanko

CHouette restaurant

4 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

Tres sympa, terrasse agréable en été. A tester leur boisson au gingembre (spécialité de la maison) et un de leur nombreux succulent plats vegan. Dommage que tout ne soit pas végétarien et que les prix soient un peu élevés !
Tres bien servi et omnivores accompagnateurs contents.

Pros: Bon, Bien servi
Cons: Le prix
natuurlijkan
natuurlijkan

Not what we had expected

3 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2012

We read about the praise for Lombardia on happycow and came here to give it a try. We found the seating a bit cramped seats though.

mikebinos
mikebinos

expensive

3 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2012

Lombardia may be the place that Moby and Sting like to go when in Antwerp, but the food didn't leave a huge impression on us when traveling through Antwerp on the way back to Amsterdam from Brussels. You do get a large plate of vegetables which is nice, but the flavor definitely leaves something to be desired. It's not "don't go here" awful by any means, and in the center of Antwerp you may not find too many other large plates of vegetables, but between the price and low-flavor you may not be too impressed. The outdoor seating on a nice day looked like a great spot, but it was a little cold when we went.

Lomedin
Lomedin

has veggie food

3 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2012

I'm glad that at least Happy Cow is not listing this restaurant as a vegetarian or vegan place. Many sites, guides and people declare Lombardia to be "the best veg(etari)an place in Antwerpen". Maybe this is something to do with the celebrities visiting the place now and again. Lombardia is not a pure vegetarian place. They do serve chicken and fish. They do have veggie choices. Not cheap either. The mystery of why they call themselves a vegetarian (or even vegan!) restaurant is beyond me: they do this on their website while also clearly showing their chicken and fish menu!! I guess the world is definitely gone mad. They also like to boast about Moby, Sigur Ros, Sting and other famous people going there. What can I say, I go to a restaurant to eat proper nice food, not because some "star" says it's good. And for those singers and artists claiming to be vegan while praising Lombardia. Anyways it is better than a "normal" non veg restaurant regarding options.

Esther
Esther

been here twice

3 Posted on 12 / 08 / 2011

I have been there twice. The food was cooked green beans, little spices and a sandwich but not vegan.

Pros: Nice location, terrace
Niels Van Och
Niels Van Och

Nice experience

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

I ate here with my girlfriend on a daytrip to Antwerp. We were in kind of a hurry, but the awesomeness of this place calmed us right down, and we ended up enjoying a delicious meal. It looks very colourful, and has people to match!

My girlfriend had the veggie cheeseburger, and the owner (a bit of an eccentric man, but very nice) enthousiastically suggested she try some of the mango salsa he had just made on it. This turned out to be an excellent suggestion! I had the Mexican vegan burger, which had falafel and guacamole. Both burgers had very nice bread and great heaps of vegetables between them.

To drink I had a homemade ice tea which was simply the best I ever had! Very tasty and with a whole lot of fresh mint in it. My girlfriend had a very nice juice.

After we were finished eating, the owner offered us a vegan cookie to try. It was made with red lentils and ginger. It was so nice we ended up taking some home, together with more juice (I was feeling generous :)).

Lombardia is not very cheaply priced, but you certainly get value for your money. In the end we payed about 40 euros for two burgers, two fresh drinks and a large drink and three cookies to take home. If you're in Antwerp, give it a try. It deserves five stars!

Pros: good food, many vegan options and clearly labelled, great drinks
Cons: little chaotic
Ruby X
Ruby X

mountains of veggies

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2011

Lombardia is awesome. Colorful, yummy and just awesome. Last time we went to Antwerp, we went there twice on the same day.

The first time we went there to have lunch. I don't remembered what I ordered (some kind of burger), but it was delicious. What I particularly like about Lombardia is the heaps of raw veggies they put on a burger. They make healthy eating fun.

In the afternoon we went back to try their legendary Ginger Tea. When we were there, the owner just got back from the world expo in Shanghai, where he also promotes his special tea. The people there seem to like it, according to what he says. For me it was on the verge of being too spicy - what else do you expect from ginger - but I'd order it again. Only not in summer ;-)

It is quite expensive for being "just lunch" (or breakfast for some), but considering the uniqueness and the heaps of fresh veggies, I think it's definitely worth it.

When you're in Antwerp, just go there. Don't hesitate, just go.

PS. try some cookies!

Pros: heaps of veggies, unique dishes, cookies
Cons: pricy, not open for dinner
jullietteparis
jullietteparis
  • raw

J'adore le Lombardia

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2009

Lombardia est un rêve pour moi...J'adore manger végétarien et au Lombardia, tout y est delicieux et frais. Et les patrons parle le français.

Pros: salades superbes, jus frais, the au gingembre
rogerkortrijk
rogerkortrijk

Delicious and Fun!

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2009

I was yesterday in Antwerp and I have eaten a vegan dish in Lombardia! I received a huge plate with grilled tofu, brown rice with a superb green sojacream dressing and full of steamed mixed vegetables. I drunk a fresh carrot ginger juice and I paid 16.20. Lovely place!

Pros: food, drinks, decor
Cons: parking
TekkTriixx
TekkTriixx

super healthy delicious Food ^^

4 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2009

The first thing i thought when i walked in to Lombardia ,, omg its like a fairy-tale! The Flashy colors ,, the music ,, happy people talking around theire tables!! its was magicle. I ordert Vegan Tapas ( Quacamole , falafels , vegetable spriad , nuts & a hole lot of sesamcrackers ) it was a party in my mouth!! unbelieveble! The wrong cappuccino & huge multi mix was also a big succes! the multi mix was a juice fresh made with 5 kinds of fruit! Wrong cappuccino was a cerealcoffie with vegan whipped cream! the Service was great ( they where friendly & polite )! It's worth the price.

LilaBrugge
LilaBrugge

Delicious Vegetarian dishes in Antwerp

4 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2009

Antwerp is my favorite shopping city!!
Walter van Beirendonck, Dries van Noten, An de Meulemeester,... they all come to Lombardia to eat at midday their Vegetarian dish(vegan!) It's a beautiful dish with Seitan/Tempeh/tofu + lentils + steamed vegetables + Organic brown rice/quinoa/barley + Sprouts!! +and nuts ans seeds!!
I tried the Food Tea (ginger and thyme) Fantastic together!
And the final, a vegan cappuccino (a real espresso + whipped cream based on oat and soy milk!) Super!!

Pros: Food, Drinks , Gingertea
Cons: busy
John020
John020

Great experience!

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

The restaurant/cafe (and garden) looks amazing. Very friendly staff and a lots of nice (vegan) food. Somewhat pricy, but very delicious! We recommend the vegan cappuccino with vegan whipped cream!

Pros: great food
Cons: small tables
brownhare
brownhare

We loved this place!

4 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2008

We came here for lunch (two vegans, and two meaties) and were very impressed.
The decor was really fun. With a post-apocalyptic comic book feel.
The menu was very clearly labelled- as "beasty", "veggie", or "vegan".
We felt it was a little on the expensive side for a lunch time meal, but the portions were huge, so this wasn't a problem. Soup is available by the mug or the bowl. I opted for a mug of pumpkin soup with my tofu sandwich.
Vegan tiramisu was the highlight for my boyfriend.
If we'd been staying in Antwerp longer, I've no doubt we'd have gone again.

Pros: Fun atmosphere, friendly staff, Well labelled, tasty food, Organic and "non-industrial"
Cons: A little pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Lombardia Cafe:

Thank you for being a Plus FRIEND supporter.

There are more ways to promote your business on HappyCow, including:

1. Advertise your large, custom banner on the Antwerpen page, or any other regional page
  2. Upgrade to Premium FRIEND status to get a Spotlight Feature in HappyCow's popular e-Newsletter, MooZine. You'll also get generous discounts on any additional advertising

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2013/03/08