Loma House Vegetarian Express

Vegan-friendly cafe with store selling foodstuff. Serves veg sushi, many kinds of mock meat dishes, and bubble tea. more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Asian, Take-out

First Review by christine_bean
JKveg
JKveg

New favorite place

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2014

Really good food. We ordered the daily special each having the hot and sour soup, for mains we had the curry veg with tofu and the spicy beef, then for desserts we had the fruit and the pudding. We started with a "side" enoki mushroom rolls. Everything was amazing and I have to say the pudding was incredible. We also ordered a pot of tea, even that was delicious! There is a whole page of teas to choose from.

I then purchased the beef the spicy beef dish was made of from their incredible selection of freezer foods. They have a whole wall of freezers full of amazing looking veg faux meats, buns, and premade meals.

Service was great. Place was really cute, clean and pleasant.

Can't wait to go back.

Pros: Great food, Good prices, Good service
Cons: Small
Daveggie
Daveggie

An all Veg restaurant and store!

4 Posted on 12 / 14 / 2013

While this place deserves and automatic good rating for being a 100% vegetarian restaurant it wouldn't be fair to the Happy Cow readers to not make an objective review. The staff was friendly, but very quiet and didn't explain the menu or the faux meat products that are in almost every dish. The restaurant is very small. Maybe ten tables, don't sit next to the door, on a cold winter night every time the door opens you get a cold breeze.

There are a wall of stand up freezers featuring a boggling array of mostly imported Asian faux meats, I did see some Canadian made foodstuff there also. Many of the mock meats had eggs and or dairy so read carefully. To be honest in over ten years of being veg/vegan I have never seen products like these. The bacon looks eerily like real bacon... We didn't opt to take any if these frozen products home. But they look like fun to try. Also they were quite pricey.

Now, to the meal. The soy nuggets appetizer was delicious, yet small, get two orders if you are hungry. The satay appetizer was not that great, both came out within five minutes of ordering, which is great if you are in a rush. However neither came with dipping sauce which would have made them so much better. We then ordered the Teriyaki "chicken" , fried noodles and mixed veggies. Within ten min that was all brought out. Again, great if you are in a hurry, however I am a bit of a food snob who prefers freshly made food. This came out just far too quickly to be freshly made. I realize that considering most of the menu is made up of frozen soy products that they only need to be heated before serving, I still felt the meal seemed like it was thrown together too quickly. BUT. It tasted great, the noodles were yummy with bits of soy protein thrown in. The teriyaki chicken was very good, faux meats can weird me out but it was very tasty. The mixed veg should have been called a giant plate of bok choy, however it was pretty good too.

All in all a good experience. Good food, and supporting what appears to be a family run business that is all vegetarian! While the menu and style of food they serve is very similar to another very popular veg restaurant in Edmonton Loma House was much cheaper and the food didn't appear to be as heavy, we felt light and clean when we got home.

We will be back, many more times I imagine. Go check it out!

Updated from previous review on Saturday December 14, 2013

Pros: all veg, inexpensive, faux meat for sale
Cons: small venue

RayvinWombat
RayvinWombat

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2013

I absolutely loved this restaurant. Great service and delicious food. Really inexpensive too. I highly recommend this to anyone who is or even isnt vegetarian/vegan.

Michael Lupul
Michael Lupul

Loma House - A Superb Experience

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

I will begin this review by stating that I have never taken the time and effort to write a review about any product, let alone restaurant, in my life. I made a Google account, an Urbanspoon account, and now a HappyCow account, solely for the purpose of writing this review and do not plan on using any of them after I have submitted this review.

Earlier this evening, my girlfriend and I stumbled upon Loma House's website. We recently decided to make the switch to a vegetarian diet and we are also working hard to make our lives completely vegan. This fact, combined with their well designed and informative website, drove us to travel one and a half hours to dine at Loma House in Edmonton (we live in Red Deer).

We ordered a drink (a tropical fruit smoothie), two appetizers (vegetable spring rolls and vegetable pot stickers/dumplings), and two entrees (a noodle dish and a "beef" stir-fry-like dish that was preceeded by a bowl of soup and succeeded by a dessert), for approximately $35. Every single item that we ordered was of impeccable taste and we were so full that we had to take some of the food home.

The service was exemplary. We received each dish in the perfect combination of order and time. We were served with the utmost courtesy and were thanked numerous times, especially after our server found out that we had travelled from Red Deer to dine in his restaurant.

The restaurant was very comfortable and relaxing. The decor was beautiful and the restaurant, including the bathroom, was very clean. Both the restaurant's decor and its food appeared to be influenced by an asian style.

After the meal, my girlfriend and I decided to purchase some of the pre-cooked/frozen take home food/groceries that the restaurant sells. The man who served us was very informative and his help in selecting the food that we purchased was much appreciated. I am thoroughly excited to use this food in our own meals. It is also of note to mention that the restaurant sells many different types of tea pot/cup sets that appear to be both decorative and practical.

I wholeheartedly recommend this restaurant to anyone. Whether or not you are vegetarian or vegan, this restaurant has it all: the service is quick, yet not rushed; polite; and genuine; and the food is superb!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 02, 2013

Pros: Food, Service, Decor
the_vegbrarian
the_vegbrarian

YUM!!!

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2012

Really delicious vegetarian fare, and the prices are quite low. We had the combo meals and were really pleased with the quality and the portion size. The smoothies are to die for! I also really liked how they have freezers full of take home items, some of which are made in store while others are imported.

Pros: great value, tasty food, helpful staff
Cons: Really far on the south side
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Interesting but great

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

I am always suprised by the prices here. Everything is insanely cheap. Not a bad thing though. It means I can order a better variety of things. We always get stuff to share as a family and are always suckered into dessert and juices.

Pros: Super cheap, Interesting choices, Flowering tea!
Cons: Very weird location, Close at 8, Menu a little confusing
Rawria
Rawria
  • raw

Not 100% Vegan

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2012

Delish food, but the bubble tea last night had cow's milk. Fresh veggies on soup and tasted great.

Profound_Raincloud
Profound_Raincloud

Great Little Eatery!

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

I have eaten here numerous times and it is one of my go to stops when I am on the South Side! I remember when this place was just a couple freezers, unpainted walls,veggie sushi and smoothies. It impressed me then and still impresses me now. The owner is great. He is friendly and knowledgeable about all his products and if you need any help with ingredients just ask! They stock a couple of vegetarian things that I have not found anywhere else, like the vegetarian tom yum soup paste/bouillon. Pre-made vegetarian dinners are another thing on hand which are great to stock in your freezer for those nights when you don't feel like cooking. In the freezers they also have veggie meat products such as bacon, ham, chicken and shrimp to name a few. As an avid tea lover and drinker, I love that they have teas sets for sale! The food is great and they have a few options which you won't find at other vegetarian restaurants in town, like veggie bbq or curry buns!

Pros: friendly staff, great environment, excellent food
Maiyn
Maiyn

Best vegetarian restaurant in Edmonton

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2011

Check out Loma House! Great value and excellent tasting dishes that blow away other restaurants. Not too much salt or sauce, everything was just perfect. The bubble teas are also excellent, I can't wait to try the desserts!

It's absolutely delicious, and if you like anything you can also purchase it from the wall of refrigerators carrying a diverse range of vegan/veggie frozen foods. Yum!

Pros: Taste, Price, Healthy
Cons: ?
francistegg
francistegg

vegan respite - tasty vegan fare

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2011

Smart enough decor, very pleasant service, and nicely presented food.
What else could you ask for?
Good size potions and reasonable pricing.
I recommend the Lima House wholeheartedly.

Support these lovely people so that this 'oasis' remains open to those who need it.

Pros: nice setting, good food, friendly service
Vegancat
Vegancat

Mom and Pop style vegan charmer

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2011

mobile review
Adorable little place with amazing service and great food! Almost all of the items are vegan (I always ask to make sure but I have yet to find one that isn't) and taste fresh and delicious. The prices are beyond reasonable; I was stunned at how inexpensive the food was. It's a 'Mom and Pop' style place, and the treat you like family. It's great to have more vegan places in Edmonton; I just hope people support it so they can stay in business. It's pretty far south but definitely worth the drive! Check out the satay cabobs and veggie burgers- you won't regret it!

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Excellent service, Inexpensive
Kendell_94
Kendell_94

Loma's

4 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2011

I found out about Loma's through Happy Cow and after looking at the pictures, wanted to give it a go! The location isn't the greatest as it's out of the way unless you live on the South side but the food was good and the service and atmosphere was even better. We were happily surprised to hear that all of the main dishes are vegan and I believe one of the only things that isn't is the bubble tea. We had two main dishes (which each come with rice), an appetizer and shared a smoothie and it was $30.00 which I though was really reasonable. The people that own it are so friendly and kind and there is a big selection of frozen take-home goodies to purchase in the coolers (most of which are vegan). The place is modern and clean and they have cute tea pot sets for sale, too. I am a very texture oriented vegan and didn't overly enjoy the kung pao only because it was fairly chewy but the teryaki chicken and the soy nuggets were really good and I hope you all check it out! It's a unique, independent place, very vegan friendly place to support. Oh and get the Tropical smoothie, it's to die for!

Pros: good food , good prices , good service
Cons: location
christine_bean
christine_bean

fabulous

4 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2009

Very cute, clean store on the southside providing plenty of ready to heat vegetarian meals, variety of options, as well as bubble tea and vegetarian sushi! Definetly worth supporting!

Pros: good variety, clean, friendly
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Christine Bean, thanks for the review of this place. I just spent the summer in Edmonton and it is nice to see some new places opening there.

Dear Owner and Manager of Loma House Vegetarian Express: