Serves meat, veg options available. Small coffee house with bagels, sandwiches, wraps, paninis, soups, breakfast burritos and baked goods. Has vegan options. Owners are vegetarian or vegan so are accommodating and knowledgeable. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Western, Take-out, Non-veg
78 Main St (Prince Edward St)
Brighton, Ontario K0K 1H0
613-475-0711

First Review by Vegfaery
JK
JK

So much for my lunch out!

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2014

I live in the general area, and after seeing Lola's on Happy Cow, I had wanted to give it a try. So I booked a meeting there for coffee/tea and I was hoping - for lunch!

I had not had time to eat before going (my main reason for choosing this destination). As a vegan with a severe diary allergy, I cannot eat at most places. So, when I arrived I ordered a lovely pot of tea and asked what they could suggest for a hungry vegan.

They offered me apple strudel that wasn't made on site and that they promised had been kept on separate paper, but it was all white flour and likely contained shortening etc.; some pre-wrapped chocolate chip cookies also made elsewhere; their soup of the day, which I wasn't in mood for as it was 20C outside; or humus on a lettuce leaf instead of bread or a wrap because they could not guarantee that their bread or wraps had no dairy, or that they had not come in contact with it.

It is a small kitchen and everything (sandwiches, wraps, focaccia) is assembled on the same board. Even if the bread were dairy-free I would not trust it being cut on the same board as cheese sandwiches. They also had egg salad, tuna salad, cheesy melts....

So I decided on one of the pre-wrapped cookies - not very filling, very tiny (only slightly larger than a toonie) and way too sweet. It didn't kill me, but I was still starving. There were chocolate chips in it, but super-sweet ones! At least they were dairy-free and kept my blood sugar up enough for the meeting.

It does have good tea (and seemingly coffee) and a very nice atmosphere, but not a good place for strict vegans/vegetarians, or those with food allergies - unless you are looking for tea or coffee.

Pros: nice atmosphere, good tea and coffee, one or two vegan baked items
Cons: soup the only vegan meal item, small kitchen = cross-contamination, staff did not seem very accommodating
Vegfaery
Vegfaery

Best coffee around

Posted on 05 / 04 / 2013

I love going to Lola's in Brighton. They have very good coffee, vegan soups, at least one vegetarian item on the menu every day, and excellent baked goods.

Pros: Excellent coffee and other drinks, Family owned, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Only open 7-4.

Dear Owner and Manager of Lola's Coffee House: