Lois' Natural Marketplace

Market with a veg-friendly deli inside. more-less
152 Route One

aradiapixie
aradiapixie

really cute place

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2008

I really like this place. I live in South Portland and have Whole Foods right in Portland (where I do my weekly shopping) but every once in a while Whole Foods doesn't have something I'm looking for, and I call Lois' and they always have it!

Pros: great vegan options, cute place, nice people
Cons: a bit out of the way, small

Understanding the Natural and Organic Lifestyle

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2008

First off I'd like to say that I am a personal friend of Lois and therefore my bias is clear. But I think it's almost at the level of petty that a person could overlook a place like Lois' without at least having a conversation with Lois herself. Knowing the store and Lois for many years I know that she slaves for that store every day of the week and if it is humanly possible she will be there to talk with anyone about anything concerning natural living. She is basically one of the founding fathers of Natural Foods beginning over twenty-five years ago working at the Good Day Market co-op in Portland. So, I ask anyone who has had a "negative" experience at Lois' to, like this website says, make an effort to talk to the person who has provided people with this place. Cheers

Natalie06
Natalie06

A unique and intimate establishment

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2008

I would like to share my positive Lois' Natural experiences with the general public. I started shopping at Lois' a number of years ago and have had nothing BUT pleasant experiences there. I have enjoyed shopping there so much so that I would consider most of the staff my adopted family at this point! Now I ask you, honestly, how many places in the world these days can you truly feel a community connection to the people that run and operate the grocery store (or hardware store, or gas station, or book store, what have you) you shop in? Hence the title, "a unique and intimate establishment". I have found nothing but a warm and compassionate staff; a vast and interesting array of foods, wines, cheeses, supplements and products for the body; and on top of it all, they make DELICIOUS meals in their deli, all organic and all creative and enticing. What products they may not carry, they are able to get for me (and actually, now they just keep it on the shelf for me knowing full well I'll buy it until it disappears!!) It sorrows me that some have not had the same experiences I have, but what makes me feel worse is that those folks don't seem to know the rule of second chances. We're all human. Lois' is a warm and special place filled with really interesting people and I am glad it's thriving in this world of big box stores.

Pros: warm and inviting staff, delicious deli foods, great prices
Cons: customers talking on cell phones

catherine
catherine
  • non-vegetarian

Not Great

Posted on 03 / 31 / 2008

I have to agree with "farmgirl"...not the friendliest lot. The staff are aware of the customers, just don't react at all to offer help. Some great products, but very limited...I'd prefer to drive out of my way and hit Freeport's Royal River. Much more welcoming and chatty...I like chatty and listening to people's experiences. Sorry...won't go back to Lois.

Cons: limited choices, unfriendly staff, stuffy environment
maloneymom
maloneymom

I had wonderful help at Lois Natural Marketplace

Posted on 03 / 09 / 2008

I was very surprised to read the negative review about Lois. I had one women help me with my vitamins for half an hour. She was so helpful I wondered if she was a nurse. She also showed me around the building and answered all my questions. Since then I have driven out of my way just to get my items there. I really wonder if the person that wrote the bad review may have just had a bad day.

Pros: People, Food
Cons: no discount cards

Unfriendly atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 02 / 2006

I would not recommend Lois' Natural Marketplace. I've found the staff to be aloof and unhelpful, and the management always seems to be unavailable. Although I live in Scarborough and would like to shop locally, I will not visit Lois' again because of my poor experience there.

Pros: good selection, some unique items
Cons: unfriendly staff, unavailable management, no email address

Dear Owner and Manager of Lois' Natural Marketplace: