Teahouse and vegetarian Chinese dim sum. Vegan dim sum served every morning until late afternoon. Directions: Take MTR train to Admiralty station Exit C1. Also has a retail tea shop at Upper G/F, 290B Queen's Road Central, Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, open 11am-7pm, phone 852-2805-1360 (note: not 290. 290B is up the first 18 steps which are just to the right of 290). Closed every 2nd Tue of the month. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese
G/F, KS Lo Gallery, Hong Kong Park, Admiralty (Supreme Court Rd)
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

nickb
nickb

Lovely vegan dim sum

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2014

Lock Cha Tea House is a wonderful place to relax and try a variety of vegan dim sum. The restaurant is located in the park, so it's lovely to enjoy a nice walk after lunch in the closest think to a natural place that you're likely to find around central HK. My wife & I generally ordered around 10 dishes, most of which were delicious. The food & tea are a little bit pricey, but probably what you'd expect for such a setting in HK. The restaurant is generally quite busy on weekend, so bookings are recommended.

Pros: Lovely food, Dim sum, many flavours to sample, Wonderful relaxing dining expereince
Cons: A little pricey
Stevie
Stevie

Lock Cha Tea House, Hong Kong

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

I lunched here yesterday. It was 1st class. Great food, all vegan, good service, a beautiful setting.

Pros: All vegan, Beautiful setting, Good service
mr.zaatar
mr.zaatar

Go for the tea

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

This little tea house is in a lovely park setting and the interior is well appointed with tea pots and accessories adorning the walls.

I ordered a pot of tieguanyin tea that was lovely. I wanted to order some dim sum but my server said that both my first two menu choices were unavailable so I decided to try the shiitake and yuba skin stew instead. Big mistake. It was all very one note: salty. I've had yuba before but in this dish the textures were very challenging...everything was squishy and spongy.

I also had the black sesame balls in jasmine syrup and they were just ok, nothing spectacular.

I would definitely go back, but only for the tea.

Pros: A great selection of teas
Cons: Food was average

KEG1106
KEG1106

Elegant Atmosphere & Fine Food

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

Was a very zen place that certainly knows about tea. The food we ordered was all excellent, though the serving sizes were quite small. However, we lounged for some time, relaxing and also admiring the tea ware around. The resto is located in the middle of HK park which is a tranquil area as well. Would definitely come back here again for a fancy afternoon.
For pics on my blog --> http://kuriouskittenskookykrusades.blogspot.tw/2014/05/hong-kong.html

selena
selena

Lovely!

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

It was quite busy and when we called to get a reservation for five, they told us 145. We showed up about 30 minutes early but they were able to seat us. They were friendly and the food was delicious. Beautiful setting, beautiful park surrounding, wonderful tea and accoutrements for sale in the shop. I went with four omnivores and they all loved it.

Pros: beautiful, delicious, friendly
  • NellieNoFriends NellieNoFriends

I would be one of those omnivores... and yes, it was perfection all around. The teas, the yum cha (the sweet treats....Mmmm), and some cute tea cups and quality tea to take home to boot.

bonn93
bonn93

Not to be missed!

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

This was my by far the best dining experience I had while in Hong Kong - we came here twice.The restaurant is easily accessible by train (a ten minute walk from the Admiralty station) and the setting is lovely. Every little morsel of food was absolutely delicious, I can't speak highly enough of it. The highlights included a wide variety of dumplings, sticky rice in vine leaves, perfect red bean buns and an amazing coconut and nut dessert. A few tips: ask how many pieces come in each portion when you order, as there is no indication of this for some items. I would also recommend making a booking, as the first time we visited we had to come back an hour and a half later due to it being fully booked for lunch.

marta red
marta red

nice place tasty food

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2012

I went there today for lunch,it was packed with people but they found a table to share for me.I had yellow tea as drink and then dried almond vegetable soup,light and warming; then soya sheet w laver- tasty and light (3 pieces) ; curry w bean curd puff- spicy and good,big portion for a person;steamed chiu chow style dumpling-very good;jasmine dampling w black sesame filling- simply delicious!The place find itself in Hong Kong Park,a nice position away from the chaos of Central HK.Here it is possible to lunch in a quiet and warm atmosphere and I liked it.People serving kind,even though in a hurry..the place was full aeound 1pm.Price above average for a veg place but worth it.Everything well done and looked nice,too.Definitely I'll come back before I go back home.I want to try mashed coconut and pampkin cake! PS - Cost of my lunch HK$ 175

Pros: very good food, very nice place, nice location
Cons: crowded place, bit expensive, just tea to drink
freeprincebandar
freeprincebandar

Bring your own seat musical chairs

Posted on 09 / 24 / 2012

First, we should say we didn't actually eat here. It was our first choice for lunch in HK that day, we went in, the wait staff was abrupt, rude, though they had a wide open dining area would not let us eat there but wanted us to sit in the dirty section. After we pointed to a different, better table, he refused to sit us there, so we walked out. Weird.

Cons: rude waitstaff and bad service
sterlins
sterlins

Nice atmosphere, food left a little to be desired

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2012

The tea was great, and the decor was absolutely lovely. While it is great to find an all-vegetarian dim sum place, I was a bit underwhelmed by the food, especially since it was more expensive than other restaurants we had visited. I did like the dessert which was a black sesame seed ball in jasmine syrup. I also liked the noodles (however the portion size was quite small).

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Enjoyable but not quite a meal

Posted on 07 / 09 / 2012

We enjoyed our afternoon tea at Lock Cha. No detectable MSG in the dim sum, the food wasn't too oily and the ambience was fabulous - very authentic feel. Service was pretty ok. We tried one of the more expensive teas on the menu (a 1996 puer I think) and to be honest, we didn't really 'get' it.. tasted pretty standard to us. You can by the way just order one good tea to share and one cheap one to take away in leaf form, which will save some budget. The food portions are teeny tiny so come here if you are very hungry. Unfortunately we were, so we ended up ordering a few things twice and still ate elsewhere a few hours later. Will be back for sure, just not when we have an appetite!

Pros: authentic teahouse vibe, food is not bad, cultural tea experience
Cons: limited menu, small portions, expensive
stegh
stegh

ONLY mushrooms!

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2012

we were excited to go here with a mix of Chinese and Western friends. First we were a little surprised that the place was so closed-- instead of views of the gardens there was a lot of wall... Got a great selection of teas, but the waitress was in a hurry (even though restaurant was mostly empty as it was after 2 on a weekday) and just named the teas and walked away. When we asked if they were ready she said "if you like" so of course some teas had been in WAY too long and others not quite ready at all.
Then looked at dim sum menu and explained that we don't eat mushrooms and another server said "everything has mushrooms!" Can we have just the noodles with no mushrooms? "NO! Everything has mushrooms!" Turnip cakes? Mushrooms. We ended up getting a plate of steamed greens (and were told that the dipping sauce had mushrooms) and the sweets. Then we went to Mana and got an actual meal.

Pros: Delicious tea
Cons: Unaccomodating staff, Fungus! Fungus! Fungus!, Dark
procrastinasian
procrastinasian

Food is just ok, but the setting is beautiful

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2012

This was a nice tea house right in the park. We went with friends, and were a bit disappointed that the food wasn't better, as we were treating them. Portions were teeny tiny but prices weren't. They also made each of us order a pot of tea, which we didn't expect (I think the tea cost $3 or $4 per person). I didn't like the curry, but the other dishes we tried were fine.

Pros: Beautiful, Nice presentation
Cons: Expensive, Compulsory tea
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

Nice place

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

Beautiful restaurant in the most beautiful garden of HK ! A little bit expensive, around 140$HK for one person, as you have to order an expensive tea, ther isn't anything else to drink ...
Try in dessert the "jasmine dumpling with black sesame filling".

Pros: small portions
daniellinor2
daniellinor2

Exclusive environment but good pricing

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2011

A set course dinner meny costs around 100 HK-dollars. The vegan dim sum was great! It was also an experience to try tea at a tea house- as western customers not used to asian culture we felt a bit awkward, but it was definitely worth it!

Pros: good price, excellent food, calm environment
Cons: staff could be more helpful
Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

Very expensive for very small

Posted on 01 / 12 / 2011

I never expected the food to be so small for what I would be paying for. My friend and I ordered about 10 dishes in total, paying well over $200 and we were still not full.
However the tea was very nice and the food had exquisite taste. I guess dining here would only be to try the tea and that alone could be worth the money.
Also, it was very noisy for a place emphasizing on the tea tasting experience.

Pros: Great taste
Cons: Too pricey, Dishes too small, Noisy environment
ramrock77
ramrock77

Beautiful

Posted on 01 / 02 / 2011

My friends and I saw the reviews for this place and decided to check it out. It's our first time in Hong Kong (from USA), and boy was this a treasure. I think that the Lock Cha Tea House needs to be spoken of in context of Hong Kong Park... Hong Kong Park is an incredibly gorgeous, vibrant, calm place- full of life and art... and the bonus is the Lock Cha Tea House.

Walking in there felt great. The staff was warm and welcoming, and helpful when it came time to order. We ordered 2 of each of the ~10 Dim Sum options (all vegan), and it fed us a fairly filling brunch. I think a few more orders would have had us stuffed. My five friends aren't vegan (I am) or vegetarian - and they all really loved the food and the whole experience (score!). It was reasonably priced, but on the high side (my share was 160 HKD). But you certainly pay for the experience too. The tea was amazing. Each one of us was raving about our different teas and trying each other's. I had a Chinese Black Tea (aged 25 years) - really "earthy" and concentrated. All the dim sum was delicious.

Go here. Eat, drink, and spend some time wandering around the park. This experience is a Hong Kong must.

Pros: excellent food, excellent tea, beautiful location
Cons: a little greasy
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

A wonderful review of one of my favorite places - thank you!

sglcklch
sglcklch

Excellent veggie dim sum without mock meat!

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2010

Came here for brunch on a Sunday, surprisingly there were only a few other customers. We didn't care for tea at all, but there's a minimum charge of HK$38 per person for drinks, we thought we might as well get some tea, plus it's a tea house after all! We ordered two different kinds, both turned out very nice and went well with our meal.

The dim sum menu had about 20 dishes to choose from (including desserts), glad there was no mock meat. It's actually kinda of like a sampling menu because the portions are small enough for you to order more without worrying about having too much food from just one dish. We had seven dim sum dishes and one dessert in total, all tasty, except one or two could use a little less oil.

We enjoyed our brunch a lot. This place is a lovely retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city... and of course the heat too! I would not recommend it for big groups though because of the serving size, and it would totally ruin the tranquility. Would definitely come back, maybe for dinner next time.

Pros: delicious food, cozy and quiet
sarastoked
sarastoked

Tea and dim sum in Hong Kong park

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2010

I had a long layover in Hong Kong and picked Lock Cha Tea House as my vegetarian lunch spot. I only had the address and vague directions to the restaurant, I ended up walking around for over an hour looking for the place.

I had no idea that it is actually in the park! If you walk through Hong Kong Park (which you definitely should) just follow the signs for the Restaurant.

I've been to a couple really great dim sum houses in New York City, but I really wanted to experience genuine Chinese dim sum. I'm glad we chose this the place, the atmosphere was very cozy, nicely decorated. We had to share a table, which was not a problem. Restaurant ended up getting a little busy towards the end of our meal.

Prices are about $3-4 US, per dim sum dish, but the portions are very small, consisting of about 2 pieces per dish. My partner and I ordered about 5 dishes and a soup, and that was fine because we weren't very hungry.

Tea was on the expensive side ($5-7), but was very high quality and served in what I assumed was a traditional style.

Overall I enjoyed Lock Cha Teahouse again, and would definitely recommend it. Staff was friendly and helpful as well. Check out the park before or after your meal, it's truly lovely. The restaurant is also a very short walk from The Peak tram, if you're interested in sightseeing.

Pros: location, excellent food, friendly
beerzuki
beerzuki

beautiul environment

Posted on 04 / 03 / 2010

This teahouse is lovely!

But I would recommend avoiding the busy times like lunch. I had flashbacks to my days as a waitress as I arrived at the end of the lunch rush and the customers were bombarding the staff with requests for food after waiting and hour or not getting what they ordered. The poor staff seemed a bit frazzled but by the time I ordered everything turned up right and quickly, so no complaints from me there!

I ordered the dancing flower fairy tea - so pretty!, the soup (yum!) and the bean curd skin and turnip cake - all of which were nice. I couldn't resist ordering the 'red date in buddha's hands' to see what it looked like - trust me the name is far more appealing than the reality!! (cold pastry cut to look like hands with squished date and walnut wrapped in it-a bit yucky!) I think this all cost around $200HKD.

It was a lovely place to go and sit reading and topping up my tea (they have some English mags like National Geographic there to read). The surrounding garden makes a nice break from manic Hong Kong. I think they offer a dinner menu with more substantial dishes from 6pm. Well worth a relaxed visit!

Pros: beautiful place to sit
Cons: busy at lunch
veggieyogini
veggieyogini

hidden gem

Posted on 01 / 06 / 2010

best place in HK to get a good variety of vegetarian dim sum. you can order from their changing dim sum menu (usually about 12 savoury and 4 sweet options daily) or their chef's recommendation set menu. both is equally nice. the wonderful food is perfectly accompanied by the tea which is always served with a little tea ceremony performance.

Pros: excellent veg dim sum , variety of tea , quite and private
marmot1972
marmot1972

Brilliant place, best of foods, amazing teas

Posted on 08 / 28 / 2009

After 10 days in Hong Kong, this was the best place I could possibly find. I have been brought to a couple of vegetarian places but nothing so good and charming as this place. Will go back 100%

Pros: Food, Tea , The park
Cons: none
Guest
Guest

Excellent selection of teas -

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

Lock Cha Tea Shop has a daily selection of mainly organic vegetarian dim sum & a "connoiseur pleasing" collection of teas to sample.

Lock Cha Tea Shop is quite simply "an excellent place".

Located centrally in Hong Kong Park - the "lungs" of downtown Hong Kong - with fountains where even adults can play!

Search in Google Images with - "lock cha tea shop" - to see what you are missing!

dreamstalker
dreamstalker

A lovely tea oasis

Posted on 03 / 26 / 2009

Lock Cha is one of my favourite veg restaurants in HK. It's a traditional style teahouse with dark tables and walls stacked with teas. Each table has its own little brewing station. The servers perform an informal little tea ceremony that I find delightful everytime I go there. Of course, an extensive tea list. The dim sum is good, though not the best I've ever had. My favourites are their noodle dishes and dumplings. The jasmine sesame balls are a nice dessert. Their buns and stuffed mushrooms are not their best dishes, however, and I wouldn't order them again. The atmosphere is a calm place in the middle of HK, and I love to go there for a little tea and dim sum and chill out. Good place to meet a friend for a chat. Because of the proximity to the tea museum, they have bars on the windows which is a shame, because windows opened to the park would make this place absolute heaven.

Pros: Calming atmosphere, Wide range of quality teas, Some good dim sum
Cons: Closed windows to scenery, Some dim sum good, others so-so
dsrtgrl79
dsrtgrl79

Perfect lunch in Central

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2008

Light, delicious, efficient staff and beautiful surroundings. The tea is great, the staff speak english and the choices are abundant. I really enjoyed this lunch and was glad I didn't have to select from any fried veg options. These dim sum were simple and innovative at the same time. Was glad to share with friends and teas topped off the meal.

Pros: location, price, selection
Cons: small tables, signage, too much A/C
JohnnySensible
JohnnySensible
  • herbivore

The very best tea shop in Hong Kong

Posted on 06 / 15 / 2007

OK - where to start? I am so happy that they have reopened - dream location in the centre of Hong Kong Park - in the museum of ceramics & carved jade seal chops - right next to the tea-ware museum. Teas & dim-sum perfectly prepared. Timeless setting. Huanghali wood furniture. Jixing ceramics. Teas from affordable to "Grand Crux". Always vegan savories. Menu changes daily. Occasionally one of the deserts may contain egg. Wonderfully eccentric owner. Think "Kung Fu" / David Carradine without the violence. Staff speak some English. You will often meet me there. Yummy scrummy!

Pros: Imperial style, Photogenic, Drink with the gods!
Cons: My wallet is sometimes, not ful enough for the, very finest teas.

Dear Owner and Manager of Lock Cha Tea House: