Serves meat, veg options available. Trendy restaurant with an emphasis on organic and local produce and microbrews, located in the heart of Hillcrest neighborhood. Offers vegan cheese and other substitutions. Call for hours - tell us. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Organic, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
3827 5th Ave (Hillcrest district)
San Diego, California 92103
619-795-4770

First Review by richieandmona
KatieMae
KatieMae

Highlight of my trip

Posted on 02 / 28 / 2012

We only spent 1 day in San Diego and the very last place we stopped was Local Habit. The service was really friendly and welcoming. The food menu is on the small side but everything looked delicious. They serve meat and cheese but about 2/3 of the menu can be made vegan and is clearly marked. We had an eggplant pizza made vegan with their house-made vegan cheese (tapioca-based). Delicious! In addition to the veg cheese they also brew there own kombucha and sell take-away growlers of it or by the glass. An interesting list of craft beers on tap too. More than the really amazing, yummy pizza, we loved the vibe of this place--trendy but really warm. If you're in the area give it a try!

Pros: good atmosphere, house-made veg cheese, interesting options
Cons: small menu
richieandmona
richieandmona

Trendy Spot

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2011

This restaurant is fairly new, so I don't think they have all the kinks worked out, yet. I'm sure it'll get better with time, especially if vegans frequent the restaurant more often. I've only been there once, but am intrigued enough to go back despite the shabby service (think our server was new), the so-so tomato & onion bread pudding appetizer, and the terrible vegan fudge "brownie". My vegan pizza was quite good and there are many other vegan options I look forward to tasting.

Pros: Many Vegan Options, Vegan Cheese Available, Community Values
Cons: Still Some Kinks to Work Out, Street Parking

Dear Owner and Manager of Local Habit: