Vegan B&B in the countryside 5-minute drive outside Berwick. more-less

JudithSavage

• non-vegetarian

An Enjoyable Afternoon

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

My mum and I went along to Loaf for an afternoon teas event as neither of us are vegan and were interested in trying something new. Karen was extremely welcoming and we sat in the conservatory, watching all the wildlife in the garden, and having a friendly chat. It was very relaxing and we were able to enjoy beautiful views across the countryside. I was impressed with the menu as there was a wide variety of sweet and savory options and it took me a while to decide what to have. Mum had fruit cake and I had dark chocolate cheesecake and we both had berry smoothies. Everything was delicious! The cheesecake came with vegan ice cream and I would never have guessed it was diary free. We were able to have a look at the B&B rooms upstairs and they were very cosy and nicely decorated. I will not hesitate to recommend Loaf in the future as both the food and rooms were fab. Karen could not have made us feel more welcome and we were free to relax and try what we wanted. I can't wait for the next afternoon teas event, I want more of that cheesecake!

Pros: Friendly hosts, Relaxed atmosphere, Great food
svenja
svenja

A very comfortable and welcoming B&B!

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

I spent six nights at Loaf B&B and thoroughly enjoyed the whole stay. The house is beautifully decorated. The en-suite bedroom is spacious and cosy. In the bathroom there is a powerful shower, and even a large corner bath tub to relax in after a long day out walking in the wonderful Northumbrian countryside. I lit the candles that had been provided and - while bathing - enjoyed one of the "Famous Five" books that I found in the room. :)

The food is, naturally, completely vegan and I loved everything I tried. I had breakfast and dinner at the B&B every day and had the "full veggie" breakfast with beans, tempeh, scrambled tofu with greens, mushrooms, tomatoes and the lovely tomato-couscous-sausages (Karen makes those from scratch) twice. On other days I had a big fruit platter with lots of fresh fruit, soya yogurts and mueslis or the "BreakfastBockerGlory". There was toast as well, of course: Karen's very tasty homemade bread, and homemade jams and jellies to go with it.
For dinner I had, for example, potatoes stuffed with avocado, an open vegetable pie or a very hearty tomato-lentil-soup. There also always was some of Karen's wonderful bread and usually a bowl of fresh greens.
Dessert included huge dishes of ice-cream with fresh berries and nuts, or raw chocolate truffles. Delicious!

There's also a very comfortable separate guest's lounge with an open fireplace, where I drank lots of tea and had nice chats with Karen and Mike. They were both very helpful with planning walks, providing maps and bus timetables.

Loaf is a perfect place for exploring Northumberland and the Scottish Borders, and you don't even need a car to enjoy your stay there, since there's a fairly good bus service. Berwick is a very pretty little town, and if you're into history and/or walking (or just looking for a quiet place to relax while being served awesome food...), Loaf B&B is a must!

I'll certainly be coming back for all those footpaths I haven't had time to explore yet!
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 27, 2013

Pros: excellent food, very comfortable and cosy, great hosts
lizabelle
lizabelle

Beautiful rooms, lovely food

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

I stayed at Loaf BnB for three nights and had a wonderful time. It's close to Berwick (10 minutes on the bus) but set in gorgeous countryside, with great views across the fields so you can take in the local wildlife while you eat or relax.

My room was beautifully decorated, and very spacious. There is also a sitting room available to guests, along with a lovely, bright conservatory for dining.

The hosts, Karen and Mike, were very welcoming and full of suggestions for my visit to the area. I also really appreciated the thoughtful little touches - it was so nice to know that even the toiletries in the en-suite bathroom were vegan and cruelty-free.

The food was delicious, and Karen was very accommodating in regard to my requests. I ate breakfast and dinner there every morning and evening, and was pretty much too full for anything in between! Lighter fare is also on offer, for those who prefer to pace themselves. :)

In short, I highly recommend Loaf as a place to stay and eat, and I'm looking forward to visiting again soon.
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 26, 2013

Pros: Beautiful setting and lovely room, Delicious breakfasts, Vegan food/accoutrements
Trudy
Trudy

• non-vegetarian

An Afternoon Tea Free From Allergies!

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

My daughter is allergic to dairy so even as non-vegetarians we're always on the look-out for tasty vegan food. It was such a treat at Loaf B&B to be able to sit down in a beautiful conservatory with views over open countryside and relax knowing that my daughter could eat anything there was on offer. This never normally happens! The cupcakes were deliciously indulgent, there was a great selection of teas and soft drinks, and the atmosphere was warm, friendly and inviting.

Forget the idea that vegan food is just for vegans; forget the idea that vegan food is tasteless and uninspired. Loaf B&B is an oasis for those allergic to even the tiniest bit of dairy in their diet. My daughter was able to enjoy something that most of us take for granted and feel normal.

I can't recommend Loaf B&B highly enough. I'm only cross that I don't live far enough away to go and stay. The breakfast looks amazing!

Thank you, Karen and Mike!

Pros: Non-dairy food, Beautiful countryside setting, Wonderful hosts

Dear Owner and Manager of Loaf BnB: