Serves meat, veg options available. Japanese restaurant also caters to vegetarian diets, labels vegan suitable items. Menu includes vege chicken wings, mock duck with mango, tofu steaks, vegetarian chicken chunks teriyaki style, bean curd rolls, and noodle dishes. Has bento boxes. No animal oils used in cooking. A range of healthy and organic juices and drinks. Very atmospheric setting with fairy lights, sunken seating, a pond, and two floors of seating. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
24 Central Rd
Leeds, England LS1 6DE

Open Mon-Thur, Sun 11:30am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-11pm.

First Review by hack_man
TableForOne
TableForOne

Flavoursome vegan food

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Inside, the tables are made from heavily varnished segments of tree trunk. Very beautiful. And there's an ornamental bridge and a pond with koi carp.

I had the vegan teriyaki chunks bento box, with spring rolls for a starter. It wasn't healthy, but it was ridiculously flavoursome. It is expensive for Leeds though - around £20 for a starter and a main. The staff weren't particularly friendly either, but the interior is a total escape from the city centre hustle.

5 stars for the food. 3 for the service.

Pros: Tasty food, Nice interior, Vegan options
Cons: Meat served , Expensive, Not too friendly
NicNewbs
NicNewbs

Bento boxes every time

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

With a clearly marked veggie and vegan menu, this place is a firm favourite among me and my meat eating friends.

Loads of choice and always something new to try.

Pros: the decor is stunning, menu labelling, taste
Cons: a bit pricey
BenGallagher
BenGallagher

Went there for a birthday meal

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I loved the food, the presentation was great and the service was fast, would recommend.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff
Dr Hex
Dr Hex

Delicious Vegan Food

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2013

Unlike other reviewers I don't think Little Tokyo is particularly expensive and the quality of food certainly justifies the price. This was my first visit here as a vegan and I went with an omni friend but we both ordered vegan options. We were both a bit hungover and hungry so we ordered a lot of food- for starters we shared edamame beans, avocado tempura, fried tofu pockets stuffed with shitake mushrooms and the flame grilled aubergines and they were all delicious especially the tofu pockets. For main I had the vegetarian duck with mango bento box and it was amazing- the best mock meat I've ever had. My friend tried it and couldn't believe that it was vegan.

My only tiny moan was that they forgot my miso soup but I didn't really need it and they were very apologetic- the service here is very good in general- speedy without being annoying and attentive without being obtrusive. Really nice cocktails here as well- the raspberry daiquiri is particularly toothsome. All in all it was a real treat for a vegan used to having to eat fairly dull food in most restaurants.

Pros: Great Vegan choices, Lovely staff, Nice cocktails
chlough
chlough

Best in Leeds.

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

My favourite place to eat in Leeds. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Decor is beautiful. Bento box's are a must try. Mock-duck, fake chicken and tofu are all available. Perfect when eating out with meat-eaters. Peach wine is wonderful. Vegan dishes are marked on the menu.

Pros: Vegan friendly, central, beautiful

Livinglost
Livinglost

Love it!

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2012

I have been here many many times. I can only echo what the good reviews have said, but I wanted to mention the price. It is a bit more pricey, yes. Bento boxes are around the £13 mark, but that is for your main, tempura, salad and rice, so to me that is a complete meal.

I normally order a noodle soup, around £8 and share the veggie starter platter with a couple of people. It is more expensive than a pub and definietly somewhere probably more for a treat, but its not a budget killer.

They even label their wines veggie or not, how good is that?

Pros: Plenty of vegan choice, quick service, nice decor
Cons: tables are tiny!, you can't book, very busy @ weekend
ViolaineB
ViolaineB
  • raw

Expensive but nice!

4 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

I love the bento box and the food is extremely good... The desserts were delicious and delicately made with amazing combination of flavours and textures... ( lime ice cream) ... and the decor is something worth seeing... It has a little bridge and a pond with goldfish in it... All in a soft minimalist design... nothing kitsch about it at all... I recommend this place for a birthday celebration, a treat, a romantic date... It is a bit pricey but worth it if you have something special to celebrate... But I guess if you're loaded, and just want to eat something go for it!
The portions are quite small... you feel healthy and not very full when you leave but happy... Go if you're not starved in other words... But the flavours are there and the food is fresh, so well worth visiting if you can afford it...
Oh and when I went there for the first time they were playing Miyazaki's My neighbour Totoro's theme so I was transported in Japan somewhere, ace!

Pros: nice and peaceful décor, Nice staff, Gorgeous food full of delicate flavours
Cons: Expensive, Expensive, Expensive
Sammo84
Sammo84

Great food, touch expensive

4 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2012

The food here is superb. For starters I had deep fried tofu steaks, and for the main I had vegan "chicken" teriyaki bento box.

The tofu steaks were a bit bland (could do with marinating instead of plain tofu) but the chilli miso sauce rescued it and made it a really tasty starter.

The Bento box was outstanding. A lovely ginger crisp side salad, vegetable tempura with a soy dip, sticky rice and the "chicken" teriyaki was superb.

You got a good amount of food but for £23 for starter, main, and one beer is a bit steep. More of a treat yourself restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food, lovely setting, good vegan options
Cons: expensive
itsmeagain
itsmeagain

expensive...i dont go there at all

1 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

Very pricey, they used to make a show of "donating to homeless projects in third world" etc.And used to say they use organic ingredients, neither claim has a single thing to back it up.Service is faux friendly and intrusive.

Pros: vegan available
Cons: exorbitant, meat served., service over friendly.
hack_man
hack_man

Great food, expensive tastes

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

A hugely impressive restaurant with no expense spared on the interior. I thought it was just a small place from the outside but once you enter it's like being in a Japanese temple. There's also a huge dining area downstairs. Vegetarian and vegan choice is very good indeed with a good range of mock meats available. The prices are quite steep. It's something like £15 for a mock chicken box meal. We opted to share a number of starter dishes such as pan fried tofu and mock chicken skewers. Even the bottled water is ultra pricey here. I probably wouldn't go back but am glad to have tried it. It's definitely worth 4 stars based on what it is and the food available.

Pros: food, decor
Cons: prices

Dear Owner and Manager of Little Tokyo: