Serves meat, veg options available. Japanese restaurant also caters to vegetarian diets, labels vegan suitable items. Menu includes vege chicken wings, mock duck with mango, tofu steaks, vegetarian chicken chunks teriyaki style, bean curd rolls, and noodle dishes. Has bento boxes. No animal oils used in cooking. A range of healthy and organic juices and drinks. Very atmospheric setting with fairy lights, sunken seating, a pond, and two floors of seating. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

rhino matt
rhino matt

Great for all!

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2014

The Resturaunt decor is slightly dated, but the food is nothing short of impressive! The vegetarian 'meats' such as 'vegetarian duck' are great! Good location too!

JonJon
JonJon

One of my favorite in Leeds!

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2014

I didn't plan to come eating here (I tried to go to Roots and Fruits but it was closed on Sunday) but it was finally a very good experience and I won't regret it. Au contraire, this place is worth for a vegan! The interior is beautiful, the staff is friendly and they offer numerous choices for vegans, clearly marked on the menu. However one item was labelled vegan but contains mayonnaise and the waiter didn't know if it was a veganaise or not. Apart from that, the other items seem very clean for a vegan.

I ordered the fried tofu as a starter and the bento box with vegan duck and its mango sauce as a main dish. The tofu was really good and the bento box amazing! Portions were huge. In the bento box you have: rice with sesame seeds, green salads, fruits, the vegan duck with its mango sauce, vegetable fritters (a lot of different vegetables). If you are hungry, vegan and like asiatic food, you must go there.

Pros: great bento box, vegan-friendly, generous portions, tasty food, nice interior, friendly staff
Cons: one vegan-labelled item has mayonnaise
TableForOne
TableForOne

Flavoursome vegan food

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Inside, the tables are made from heavily varnished segments of tree trunk. Very beautiful. And there's an ornamental bridge and a pond with koi carp.

I had the vegan teriyaki chunks bento box, with spring rolls for a starter. It wasn't healthy, but it was ridiculously flavoursome. It is expensive for Leeds though - around £20 for a starter and a main. The staff weren't particularly friendly either, but the interior is a total escape from the city centre hustle.

5 stars for the food. 3 for the service.

Pros: Tasty food, Nice interior, Vegan options
Cons: Meat served , Expensive, Not too friendly

NicNewbs
NicNewbs

Bento boxes every time

Posted on 03 / 02 / 2014

With a clearly marked veggie and vegan menu, this place is a firm favourite among me and my meat eating friends.

Loads of choice and always something new to try.

Pros: the decor is stunning, menu labelling, taste
Cons: a bit pricey
BenGallagher
BenGallagher

Went there for a birthday meal

Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I loved the food, the presentation was great and the service was fast, would recommend.

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff
Dr Hex
Dr Hex

Delicious Vegan Food

Posted on 02 / 09 / 2013

Unlike other reviewers I don't think Little Tokyo is particularly expensive and the quality of food certainly justifies the price. This was my first visit here as a vegan and I went with an omni friend but we both ordered vegan options. We were both a bit hungover and hungry so we ordered a lot of food- for starters we shared edamame beans, avocado tempura, fried tofu pockets stuffed with shitake mushrooms and the flame grilled aubergines and they were all delicious especially the tofu pockets. For main I had the vegetarian duck with mango bento box and it was amazing- the best mock meat I've ever had. My friend tried it and couldn't believe that it was vegan.

My only tiny moan was that they forgot my miso soup but I didn't really need it and they were very apologetic- the service here is very good in general- speedy without being annoying and attentive without being obtrusive. Really nice cocktails here as well- the raspberry daiquiri is particularly toothsome. All in all it was a real treat for a vegan used to having to eat fairly dull food in most restaurants.

Pros: Great Vegan choices, Lovely staff, Nice cocktails
chlough
chlough

Best in Leeds.

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

My favourite place to eat in Leeds. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Decor is beautiful. Bento box's are a must try. Mock-duck, fake chicken and tofu are all available. Perfect when eating out with meat-eaters. Peach wine is wonderful. Vegan dishes are marked on the menu.

Pros: Vegan friendly, central, beautiful
Livinglost
Livinglost

Love it!

Posted on 10 / 24 / 2012

I have been here many many times. I can only echo what the good reviews have said, but I wanted to mention the price. It is a bit more pricey, yes. Bento boxes are around the £13 mark, but that is for your main, tempura, salad and rice, so to me that is a complete meal.

I normally order a noodle soup, around £8 and share the veggie starter platter with a couple of people. It is more expensive than a pub and definietly somewhere probably more for a treat, but its not a budget killer.

They even label their wines veggie or not, how good is that?

Pros: Plenty of vegan choice, quick service, nice decor
Cons: tables are tiny!, you can't book, very busy @ weekend
ViolaineB
ViolaineB
  • raw

Expensive but nice!

Posted on 08 / 15 / 2012

I love the bento box and the food is extremely good... The desserts were delicious and delicately made with amazing combination of flavours and textures... ( lime ice cream) ... and the decor is something worth seeing... It has a little bridge and a pond with goldfish in it... All in a soft minimalist design... nothing kitsch about it at all... I recommend this place for a birthday celebration, a treat, a romantic date... It is a bit pricey but worth it if you have something special to celebrate... But I guess if you're loaded, and just want to eat something go for it!
The portions are quite small... you feel healthy and not very full when you leave but happy... Go if you're not starved in other words... But the flavours are there and the food is fresh, so well worth visiting if you can afford it...
Oh and when I went there for the first time they were playing Miyazaki's My neighbour Totoro's theme so I was transported in Japan somewhere, ace!

Pros: nice and peaceful décor, Nice staff, Gorgeous food full of delicate flavours
Cons: Expensive, Expensive, Expensive
Sammo84
Sammo84

Great food, touch expensive

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2012

The food here is superb. For starters I had deep fried tofu steaks, and for the main I had vegan "chicken" teriyaki bento box.

The tofu steaks were a bit bland (could do with marinating instead of plain tofu) but the chilli miso sauce rescued it and made it a really tasty starter.

The Bento box was outstanding. A lovely ginger crisp side salad, vegetable tempura with a soy dip, sticky rice and the "chicken" teriyaki was superb.

You got a good amount of food but for £23 for starter, main, and one beer is a bit steep. More of a treat yourself restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food, lovely setting, good vegan options
Cons: expensive
itsmeagain
itsmeagain

expensive...i dont go there at all

Posted on 04 / 27 / 2011

Very pricey, they used to make a show of "donating to homeless projects in third world" etc.And used to say they use organic ingredients, neither claim has a single thing to back it up.Service is faux friendly and intrusive.

Pros: vegan available
Cons: exorbitant, meat served., service over friendly.
hack_man
hack_man

Great food, expensive tastes

Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

A hugely impressive restaurant with no expense spared on the interior. I thought it was just a small place from the outside but once you enter it's like being in a Japanese temple. There's also a huge dining area downstairs. Vegetarian and vegan choice is very good indeed with a good range of mock meats available. The prices are quite steep. It's something like £15 for a mock chicken box meal. We opted to share a number of starter dishes such as pan fried tofu and mock chicken skewers. Even the bottled water is ultra pricey here. I probably wouldn't go back but am glad to have tried it. It's definitely worth 4 stars based on what it is and the food available.

Pros: food, decor
Cons: prices
VeganMark
VeganMark

An Appalling Experience

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2011

I've been going to Little Tokyo for nearly ten years, but I think it has gone really downhill in recent years, in terms of both the quality of the food, hygiene, and the service. Seeing a rat-trap outside the kitchen is not a good sign, and while they make a big deal of their vegan and vegetarian options, after being served meat (something that has also happened to vegetarian friends of mine) I really don't trust them anymore.

My last visit to Little Tokyo (and I do mean 'last visit')was with a friend, who like myself is not only vegan, but a longsstanding Little Tokyo customer. The restaurant was very quiet, and in fact we were the only diners seated downstairs when our order was taken. My friend ordered a bento box set with tofu steak and I ordered a vegetarian ramen dish. While ordering I asked the waiter if the noodle dish came with tofu and he said that it did. I also said that I was vegan.

When the dish came the waiter said that he hoped there was enough tofu in it for me. In fact it had meat in it, and because it was dark in the restaurant I put some in my mouth. For someone who is a strict vegan of many years this was a disgusting experience and I had to go to the toilet to be sick. I wasn't even offered a glass of water, and when I asked to speak to the manager I was told there was no manager there. The 'supervisor' was quite rude and didn't to see what the problem was. I then had to pay for this awful experience.

Our evening ruined, we both went home. I was sick again and felt ill for the rest of the night.

A written complaint did not even receive an acknowledgement. I would never set foot in Little Tokyo again.

Cons: Bad service, Bad food, Bad hygiene
LeedsVeggie
LeedsVeggie

Maybe it was a bad night....

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

I have been to Little Tokyo once and i'd never repeat the experience. I had the tempura vegetables and a katsu curry and it was absolutely tasteless. It was so bad I couldn't even eat it. The service was actually worse than the food. It's a shame as I had such high hopes when I went in but it really was very bad.

Pros: Vegetarian drinks
Cons: Taste of food, Staff
kaitimar
kaitimar

Sweet memories

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2010

The reviewers before me have said it all, I can just add that the memory of Little Tokyo makes my mouth water (and my family's), and if we are ever anywhere near Leeds, we will be returning to that wonderful place.
Are you in Leeds? I envy you.

Pros: Great food , Separate utensils for vegan food, Friendly staff
Cons: Nothing I can think of.
Roubiere
Roubiere

Delicious Food in city centre location

Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

Little Tokyo is a firm favourite of mine. It has vegan meals on the menu, and the food I've had here has always been tasty and fresh. I particularly love the eggplant bento box. Though a little on the expensive side, it's perfect for a celebration and with lots of choice, is good for groups of people with differing tastes. Good service and good opening hours in a city centre location.

Pros: delicious food, vegan meals, city centre location
Cons: somewhat pricey
innermoonlight
innermoonlight

One of my favourite restaurants in Leeds

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2009

Though sometimes a little expensive (there are cheap dishes too) - this has usually been the place I go to for birthdays and anniversaries.

Lots of veg options and a very informative menu stressing the quality of the food being natural and additive free.
I would highly recommend the pomegranate drink and the lime and ginger cheesecake if it's available. There are vegan dessert options too.

You could opt for one of the other Leeds veg options if you're just looking for a good value, down to earth, filling meal. However if you want to try something a bit different and exciting, in awesome surroundings I would definitely recommend this place. Authetically Japanese - much like restaurants I've been to in Japan, especially in the downstairs section.

I'd also recommend it generally for the Japanese food and for those bringing carnivorous friends and relatives.

Pros: Really cool atmosphere, Unusual and tasty, Good service
Cons: Unusual dishes might not be for all, Often busy/booked
Alex82
Alex82

Very fast service

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2009

Little Tokyo serves fantastic food brought to you in record time. There are plenty of options for vegans. The staff are very friendly and the water feature adds to the atmosphere.

Pros: Good Food, Fast Service, Friendly Staff
LauraFox
LauraFox

expensive but good as a treat

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2009

Lovely place, great atmosphere, menu is well labelled with vegan options. Expensive but you get a good portion for the price. Helpful staff.

Pros: vegan options, nice atmosphere
Cons: expensive