Little Lad's Bakery and Cafe

Vegan cafe offering a buffet plus an la carte menu. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, American, Buffet
482 Congress St (near Monument Square)
Portland, Maine 04101
207-871-1636

Mon-Fri 10:00am-5:00pm, Sun 10:00am-5:00pm

First Review by sglcklch
warmstorage
warmstorage

Delicious, tasty, friendly, all vegan

Posted on 01 / 25 / 2016

Little Lad's is kind of unassuming from the outside: a somewhat sterile looking diner / cafeteria feel. But the staff was super friendly, and the food cheap and delicious.

I had the veggie burger, a steal at $4.99 with a side of their popcorn, and also bought some delicious granola to take home.

Their website needs some updating, but their hours on the HappyCow listing look accurate.

I would absolutely go back. The place was very quiet on a Sunday afternoon -- this is a place that should be supported!

Pros: tasty, friendly, cheap
TylerCota
TylerCota

Good Buffet!

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2015

Cheap, healthy, tasty. The cashew gravy was awesome. Nothing too unique, but Portland isn't known for its vegan food scene. I was just happy to find something downtown that tasted good.

Avacados Forever
Avacados Forever

Snack Spot

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2015

I have yet to sample the buffet but had to visit the home of 'the best popcorn I have ever tasted'! Little Lad's popcorn is unsurpassed in tastiness. It is a favorite of our household and there is always a bag in our pantry.

I found the staff to be extremely courteous and I enjoyed reading all the lovely articles and information they have posted singing the praises of a vegan lifestyle. Their handmade tarts are delicious and I grabbed a couple of them as well for when I have a sweet treat craving but am not in my usual baking mode.

It is true, with a little more love, this spacious downtown spot could really shine. I hope that they will continue to improve this eatery and expand on their delicious offerings.

Again, their popcorn (I like the herbal blend with all it's special seasonings) is an absolute must buy if you are in the Portland area.

Pros: amazing popcorn!!, scrumptious tarts!, gracious service!
Cons: Would love to see more treats to go, atmosphere could be better

cookiem
cookiem

Vegan buffet... Overrated?

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2015

This cafe and bakery seems to have a misnomer- I didn't see any baking happening here, and it seemed so short staffed that I can't imagine how it could be a working bakery. The prepackaged items are maybe made at the location outside of Portland, but that's ok- crackers, cookies and popcorn still all look good to eat and take to go. Like others have said, it is all about the popcorn. The sweet caramel corn is the best!

The menu is alright if you like sandwiches, but I feel like they are just vegan convenience food that you could make for yourself. The prices are decent for this type of food. It's nothing exciting though.

The buffet is just okay. I felt like it would be better based on reviews, but what was there was sad. It looked like they didn't have enough people to make the food so that the amount of food was low for an all-you-can-eat buffet. I guess if your tastebuds are not picky, it's ok. Again, it's nothing that you couldn't make for yourself at home, and not any better than what the average vegan cook can make. Low salt and not too much oil are good ideas, but for the buffet then maybe pick up the seasoning with herbs and spices? Only a vegan would sing the praises of this buffet.

Pros: Affordable, Somewhat healthful
Cons: No flavor , Shabby interior, Not gluten-free friendly
nafanc
nafanc

Good lunch spot

Posted on 08 / 11 / 2015

This is a good no-frills spot to stop for lunch. While the meals are not spectacular, they are satisfying and affordable, and the buffet allows you to sample lots of different foods.

Pros: Simple, Homey, Good variety
EllatheElephant
EllatheElephant

Yumm

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2015

The first time my family dined here we got mac and cheese on the buffet, we were new vegans and left hungry because there wasn't much left. The second time we learned our lesson and ordered off the menu. Everything we have had was great except some stuffing like casserole with nuts and celery. I really like the mexibean melt and my husband loves and raves about the waffles. Our children like the chickn salad sandwiches and french toast so there is something for each of us. Not a fancy place but we don't care about atmosphere anyway we would much rather have good food than a nicely decorated place. The people are nice and even fed some homeless people for free one time we were there close to closing time.

Pros: Great food, Reasonable prices, Caring people
Cons: cash only, not open for dinner
Wynsumcascade
Wynsumcascade

Good home cooking!!!

Posted on 11 / 12 / 2014

Got a chance to try this bakery cafe during a recent visit to Maine and happy I did! Many vegan restaurants serve fancy gourmet food and it's great, but what I loved about Little Lad's buffet was it's 'down home' comfort food selections :)
From pea soup to cabbage and potatoes to chili over corn bread to a very pleased customer (me)! Not to leave out a mention, of the delicious cherry turnover with flaky crust, that I stowed away for a plane snack home! Wished I could have brought home a whole pie :)
Portland Maine, this is the place to pick up holiday pies! Yummy!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 12, 2014

Pros: tasty sampling of food at buffet, delicious desserts, Vegan!
vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

More awesome than you'd think

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2014

It doesn't look like much from the outside, but this place is awesome.

The food and service are both excellent. It's not fast food like some say, but the service is friendly, the food is really awesome, and they have a lot of great vegan snacks, info, etc for sale.

We went on the weekend and wished we could've had the weekday lunch buffet.

Highly recommend the mexibean melt!

Pros: All vegan
DianeSchyberg
DianeSchyberg

good find

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

doesn't look like much but the food was worth the trip

pisceschic
pisceschic

delicious and affordable

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2014

$4.99 buffet with soup,salad bar, and hot items. Lots of desserts. Comfortable and relaxed.

Pros: delicious, affordable, all vegan
Griley
Griley

dinner in Portland

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2013

My wife and I had a very tasty late lunch early dinner here. As has been noted, no atmosphere but nutritous healthy food and friendly folks.

Pros: Taste, Nutrition, Friendly
Cons: No atmosphere, no parking
CoreyKempton
CoreyKempton

Budget Friendly!

Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

Stopped here for "nice" cream cones for my daughters. The nice cream was good, but the cones were not, but the price was right ($1 per scoop and $1 for the cone). A $4 treat was just right for my girls!

Pros: cheap, friendly
Suzzz6
Suzzz6

Real food!

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2013

I would love to have this buffet beside my house! It is real good and healthy food, like at home!

Pros: Delicious food, Good popcorn, Nice staff
jlbco
jlbco

Good vegan eats-- CHEAP!

Posted on 10 / 15 / 2012

If "atmosphere" is not your thing, but you happen to be in Portland (ME) looking for vegan eats on a low budget, this is the place! Modest selection, and nothing fancy, but good stuff at unusually low prices, especially considering that most things are made-to-order. A good bet for breakfast or lunch-- dinner, not so much-- besides, they're not open late. If a 3½ cow rating was available, that's what I'd give the place-- it's good, but probably closer to "Fair" than "Very Good", which is why it only gets 3.

Pros: Great value, No critters, Fresh food
Cons: Limited menu, No ambiance, May be best as take-out.
tuni
tuni

Good Healthy Food and Great Prices

Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

Pros: food , prices, herbal popcorn
kshaley
kshaley

Great place to have lunch!

Posted on 12 / 16 / 2011

Use caution though. They DO use honey in some of their items. I was not aware of this until I read on one of the packaged items they sell that honey was an ingredient. If you haven't had their pop corn, you do not know what you are missing!

Pros: Inexpensive, Unprocessed ingredients, Non-GMO Ingredients
Cons: Honey use
sglcklch
sglcklch

Wholesome homemade food at fast food prices

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

Were hoping to try the lunch buffet but apparently they only serve sandwiches on Sundays. We got the burger and a sandwich with the cheesy melt. We felt a bit iffy about this place at first because of the interior and the funky man at the counter... but boy was the food delicious! We ended up getting a slice of strawberry rhubarb pie ($1.99 only!) and a bag of whole wheat herb crackers for the road too. I bet the buffet must really be awesome!

Pros: cheap, tasty

Dear Owner and Manager of Little Lad's Bakery and Cafe: