Address in Japanese 岐阜県高山市西之一色町3-829-4. The Teddy Bear Ecology Museum runs a vegetarian cafe in the building next door. They serve salad wraps, one raw porridge dish, a pizza, and veggie hot dogs. For vegans, you can request soy milk with your coffee. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Western
The Teddy Bear Ecology Museum (same street near the Hida Folk Museum)
Takayama, Japan 94112
0577-372525

Call for Hours

First Review by Shauna333

Yummy Cake in a Teddybear Museum!

3 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2011

I stayed in Takayama a couple of days and visited hidanosato, which was right next to the Teddybear Eco Village, so I popped down. The staff didn't speak much English, but I showed a card with a list of the things I cannot eat (I'm vegetarian) and the lady was really helpful, pointing out that the stew bowl, which I really wanted to try, was made with fish dashi. She advised I had the healthy salad bowl, but it was freezing outside, and I wanted something hot, so went for pizza and a piece of pumpkin chiffon cake. The cake was bought out with a small salad first, then about 15 minutes later the pizza. I can't guarantee the cheese was vegetarian, and it wasn't the best pizza I'd ever had, but the chiffon cake was to die for, complete with tiny teddy biscuits!

It has a small selection of food, drink and cakes. It's not cheap, with my meal (including a soft drink) coming to Y2000, but it was filling and the cafe was in a lovely location. It is next to the Museum, so if you just wanted to eat here, without going in the Museum, you can. I had to go into the Musuem, it was cute but really small - would be great for kids!

They had a small selection of goods for sale, including cans of veggie curry, soy meat, oils, nut butters and snacks. They also had a selection of Japanese vegetarian magazines to read whilst having lunch.

Pros: Friendly staff, Family friendly atmosphere, Small shop with veggie goods
Cons: Food just ok, Fairly expensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Little Bear Cafe: