Lily's Vegetarian Indian...

Gujurati Indian food place that's especially busy on the weekends, and sometimes closes earlier if booked for outside catering. It's 5-minute walk from Ashton under Lyne train station, along from Aldi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by flux
amzhatch
amzhatch

plentiful portions of delicious food

5 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

The curries are so interesting and not like any I've ever had before. Better that most of the restaurants on the curry mile, and caters very well for vegans. I reccomed the chickpea curry, would definitely go again

amurleopard42
amurleopard42

A hidden gem that deserves more awareness

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2013

This is a paradise for veg*ns and lovers of Indian food: a huge choice on the menu; more than half of the dishes are marked as vegan. Staff is helpful and makes sure you get vegan food if you ask for it (we were advised against masala chai, and given vegan desert options that were not on the menu).

Food was delicious and hot - the two of us shared Bhel Puri (cold starter with pieces of deep-fried flatbread, chickpeas, onions and spicy marinade), vegetable Manchurian (deep-fried vegetable dumplings with chopped peppers, onions, ginger and chili), Aloo Jeera (potatoes with cumin) with sauce, masala uttapam (spicy rice pancake with the usual lentil-based sauce and coconut relish), rotis, and vegan sweets from the counter.

I lived in Manchester for three years, and only learn't about Lily's now, when I came back for a short visit. If I had known about them earlier, I would have come more often. Looking forward to the next visit!

Pros: Huge menu, many vegan options, delicious food
Cons: Open a branch in central Manchester! ;-)
Goodvegifood
Goodvegifood

Vegetarian spice heavan

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2012

As we were going to Manchester, we decided to visit this place. It was very good place to find. Basic cuisine is Gujarati, but extended to south Indian and Indian Chinese cuisine.It has a vegan and Jain options available.We had several different dishes, Panjabi and Gujarati Samosa, Rava Masala Dosa, Idly. All these were excellent. Pau Bhaji was not the best version, but it was not bad. When opportunity arrives, we will visit again and again

Pros: tasty food, Reasonable price, lots of choice

LeCoultre
LeCoultre

My favourite eatery in Greater Manchester

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

would describe this as a small casual Indian vegetarian cafe rather than a restaurant, which happens to have a fairly substantial menu and serves some beautiful mouth watering food. To say this place is good is an understatement; it's currently my favourite eatery in Greater Manchester.

It's ideal for casual dinning, a place to meet friends or family for a cheap, fresh and nutritious vegetarian meal. I like to order a number of dishes and share them. On my various visits I have also noticed it is very accommodating to children.

Food: Vegetarian Indian and oriental dishes. I have tried some of the oriental dishes as well as the Indian and I can honestly say they are both as equally delightful. On every visit I have found the food to be of a high quality and always fresh, the herbs and spices are delicious. I'm personally rather fond of their paneer dishes. 10/10

Price: Very reasonable most main courses are under £5, the menu is fairly large; all food seems to be cooked with love and fresh ingredients, which should be no surprise as its right next door to the supermarket. 10/10

Staff: Smiley, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the menu. 10/10

Parking: Free parking at the front of the restaurant plus plenty of free on street parking a few steps away. 10/10

Opening hours: Not open on Tuesdays and only open until 8pm on other days so don't get there too late.

bellabee
bellabee
  • non-vegetarian

a lucky find

5 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

stumbled across this place today after coming out of ikea. threw down the gauntlet by ordering masala dosa, my standard dish in indian veggie restaurants, and my absolute favourite dish when i go to the punjab restaurant in rusholme. well this place matched my high expectations, even better their samber tasted home made (the punjab's is from a packet). i can't wait to go back and try some more dishes.

Pros: cheap, authentic
Cons: not enough seats, no take-away menu
Stevie
Stevie

Lily's Vegetarian Indian Cuisine,Ashton under Lyne

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2010

I went to this place today and had an interesting conversation with the guy who runs the place that has influenced what I will type here.

Firstly there is a pretty big choice on the menu but the menu needs reprinted as there are many items crossed out. Without being prompted I was told that they are negotiating moves to bigger premises and that new menus are being printed. The new menu will be marked to indicate the items that are suitable for vegan veggies as a sizeable portion of the menu is aimed at lacto-veggies. The reason for the move is that the current 32 seat premises isn't big enough to cope for the demand particularly for when they are booked for events and functions.

It was a bit of a disappointment to be told that they don't do thali's on Saturday as in my humble that is one of the best things about Indian restaurants.

I asked what I could have that was vegan veggie friendly. Thew waiter was very knowledgeable and talked me through a few options. I took his recommendation of Bateta Wada as a starter. This was excellent and I would go as far to say that this was the part of the meal that I enjoyed most. I also had dal tadka, chapati & veg biryani.

The non alcoholic drinks choice wasn't the best that I've ever seen. I would have liked a fruit juice and soda but their soft drinks options seemed to focus on those with added sugar or a diet cola. I plumped for tap water in the end. I was told that they used to have a juicer but there was little demand for this and they ended up throwing away as much fruit as they used. Thus the juicer has gone. They offer lassis if you are lacto-veggie.

Suggested improvements:-

* print new menus - already being taken care of

* mark the vegan veggie friendly items on the menu - will also be taken care of it seems

* make thali's available at weekends

* review the choice of soft drinks available

Overall:-

* tasty food

* reasonable prices

* no complaints with service

This place is worth a visit if you are into Indian food. Its also handy for the train station if that is how you are gettiing there. At present I am going to rate this place as a 4 out of 5. Once the move to new premised is complete I would like to visit again and update this review.

Pros: Vegan veggie friendly, tasty food
Cons: No thali's at weekends, Not the best soft drinks choice
louis
louis

Brilliant

5 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2009

A cafe setting on the busy Oldham Rd next to the Asian Supermarket ASM which is worth a visit if you like cooking, great selection of spices, oils, pulses and veg etc. There is a car park front of the store and Lily's or a pay and display on Burlington Street. The difficulty is what to choose- Lily's menu is very extensive with heaps of vegan options. Starter items were very tasty, including some beautifully spiced potato balls with a dipping sauce. For mains, tried okra curry, cumin rice and a dhosa, all were beautiful in taste and appearance. Saw another customer having something else that looked great and they were the masala chips. Lily's also have a Indo-Chinese section on the menu with numerous options. Fella who served was great, really friendly and pleasant and happy to go through what's vegan on the menu. Have to agree that this is indeed a 'little gem'.

Pros: Very tasty, vegetarian, loads of choice
flux
flux

Little Gem

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2009

Lily's serves authentic and absolutely fantastic South Indian vegetarian food. As vegans they consistently cater well for us.

The daily thali is great value for money (just mention you want it vegan and they won't put butter on the chapati) and the Masala Dosa and Masala chips are exceptionally flavoursome and leave a lovely after taste.

Although we live in central Manchester we regularly go out of way to come here.

Pros: authentic and flavoursome, proudly vegetarian, great customer service
Cons: vegan not marked, will be in future menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Lily's Vegetarian Indian Cuisine: