Life Organic Health Cafe

Modern vegetarian restaurant and bar, established in 2004. Kitchen opens at 12noon weekdays and 10am weekends. Has a deli area for takeaway foods. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, International, Western, Beer/Wine
10 Shelley Street, Central (opposite Pure Fitness on the Soho Escalator)
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
852-2810-9777

Open Mon-Fri 8-10:30, Sat-Sun 10am-10.30pm

First Review by Petesternz
OttVanTor
OttVanTor

Exceptional Quality Vegan Food

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Superb gem in Central. Staff very knowledgeable and friendly. Had salad and the portion was quite big. Vegetable tower was impressive. All is all a very nice and cosy restaurant. Recommended.

Pros: Vegan, Choice, Staff
Cons: Eggs In Many Foods
NNS
NNS

Very Nice Place

5 Posted on 09 / 26 / 2013

Had lunch here in August 2013- to start with the place was packed which sais it all.
The food was very good and the kids were also content. We had main course and deserts and would certainly go there again.

Pros: location , good variety on menu, food was very good
Cons: small
Pitaya
Pitaya

Nice atmosphere

3 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2013

I visited this vegetarian cafe in the afternoon and they were only serving "tea time list". There weren't many vegan options so I opted for soy milk cappuccino and chocolate mousse cake. I think that the cake would have definitely needed some refreshing addition to it, soy cream, ice cream or something like that, as it was really heavy, not very sweet and with really strong taste of dark chocolate. There was a tiny bit of berry jam on the plate, but it should have been much more for me to be able to finish the piece of cake.

The restaurant is really nice looking and the location is great. There are lots of books for the customers to read and a deli downstairs.

Pros: Great location, Nice interior and street views
Cons: Not many vegan options, Limited selection
Chris Phillips Vegan
Chris Phillips Vegan

Really nice place

5 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

In Jan 2006 I visited here on the advice of a local Vegetarian friend. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED. Lovely food and nice clean place with helpful staff. I have just finished writing my book, "Around The World in 128 Days Minus 1!" see my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldIn128Minus1Days?ref=ts&fref=ts, I have listed this restaurant as one of the best . :)

Pros: GOOD food, Clean, Resonable price
Vitxo
Vitxo

Great place to eat!!

4 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

One of the best restaurants in Hong Kong, no doubt!! Tiny hummus...

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: small portions
sglcklch
sglcklch

Don't bother with resturant section

3 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

Now that I have eaten here so many times, I feel that I should update my previous review. My ultimate advice: get food only from the deli downstairs.

The deli has quite a good selection, including soups, salads, quiches, samosas, wraps, desserts, etc. I usually just get a small salad box for $50, where I can choose up to three salad items. They tend to stuff the box to the fullest and it's enough food for a simple meal. Always tasty. The life salad is also great, so is the tofu sandwich. Desserts are delicious and wholesome in that you won't feel guilty after downing a big slice of cake. I have tried pretty much everything vegan at the deli and the only thing I would not recommend is the dal soup - too watery and salty for my liking.

Although I usually get takeaway from the deli, I have also dined upstairs couple of times. None of them were enjoyable. Menu was uninspiring and never changes. Food was mediocre at best with stingy portion sizes but hefty price tags. Worst part was the service. I have yet to come across a wait staff member that didn't have an attitude. If you absolutely have to eat at the restaurant section, the only two dishes I would get would be the African sweet potato stew and the roasted vegetable tower. The salads are not bad either but a bowl will set you back around $90. The last time I went my partner and I had the sesame tofu stir-fry and the life organic burger on GF bread. The tofu was supposed to be "sesame marinated tofu" but it was actually just a soy product commercially labeled as "vegetarian chicken" that is widely available on the market. The whole dish was a rip-off anyway. Onto the burger, the patty was all rice, maybe dyed with a little beet juice, and tasted very bland. It came with two pieces of "tofu bacon" that were flavorless and all dried up. The two slices of GF bread were very small and smeared with just a touch of "tofunaise". There are two or three other vegan main dishes on the menu too that I haven't tried yet and probably never will.

Honestly I have no idea why the quality of the restaurant and the deli is miles apart. If there wasn't a scarcity of western vegetarian food in HK, I doubt they could carry on without a bit of reforming. So 4 cows for the deli, 1 for the restaurant, rounded up to 3 altogether.

Pros: great deli, wholesome food, good desserts
Cons: lousy restaurant section, service
Deborah3000
Deborah3000

average

2 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2011

A smallish restaurant with not many options for vegans. Limited menu but the food was good enough.

Cons: limited for vegans, not good value for money
meganscl
meganscl

good if you don't feel like Chinese food

3 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

Life is right on the central escalators in Soho, so good location. The food was all non-Chinese, which might be good for ex-pats looking for variety, but if you are just visiting HK you should eat as much Chinese as you can! The menu was fairly short, but the food was very varied - pizza, stew, stir-fry, pasta, burgers. Also, we thought that the portions were pretty small. The service was good. It was very expensive by Hong Kong standards, more than double what you would pay in a Chinese restaurant, with much less food. The take away deli downstairs looked yummy.

Pros: location, variety, service
Cons: expensive, non-Chinese, small portions
Ashni
Ashni

expensive but great location and really good food

4 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2010

The set lunch here was quite expensive at $100 but I was feeling hungry and so went for it. The soup was really tasty and a really interesting combination of flavours which worked well togehter. For my main, I had the tofu burger with salad which was tasty and as dessert a cookie and coffee.

My friend had the salad and hummous and she loved the hummous.

We sat on the second floor as we had not booked but with the fans only it was pretty hot. If you can plan it in advance, best to book the first floor which has air conditioning.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: expensive

Great food, expensive

3 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2009

Expensive if you are on a budget, but good food if you are in the SOHO area. I give it a fair for being hard on the wallet.

Pros: good options
Cons: expensive, expatty
Powerbex
Powerbex

Love it

5 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2009

I live in hong kong, and if I could I would probably eat from here every day! Downstairs in the deli they always have great salads (tofu is amazing,as is the potato salad), the lentil soups are always yummy and the mouth watering vegan chocolate mousse slice always gets me going. Upstairs in the restaurant the atmosphere is great, especially on the rooftop. The Life Salad is a favourite of mine, and the tofu skewers are to die for! My friends always go for the Life Burger... My boyfriend swears by the pizza and the stir fry. I have tried one or two dishes before that were a bit bland but I now know what to order. Prices are high but in my experience worth it! Lemonade is delicious too...

Pea
Pea

Western style veggy place, expensive but nice

4 Posted on 04 / 27 / 2009

Life has a nice atmosphere, a western style restaurant in a busy bustling location. The food is pretty expensive and portions are quite small. We couldnt afford drinks though they did have a good selection if your budget can stretch. We went because we couldnt find anything else late at night in the area and were pleasantly surprised. The food was good but not absolutely amazing though the atmosphere was lovely. Whether it ticks the spot for you probably depends on what you are looking for.

Pros: good food, western dishes, good location
Cons: expensive, smallish menu
dreamstalker
dreamstalker

Vegetarian stand-by, pricey, slow service

3 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

I've lived in Hong Kong going on 4 years now, and Life is one of the restaurants I visit regularly - except that I mostly go to get a take-away salad and a piece of banana cake (I don't even like bananas that much, and I love that cake). Life has a great atmosphere, and the upper deck is lovely if it's not too hot or noisy from nearby construction (which is a constant in this city), but the benches are very hard to sit on. When I think of Life, I think of uncomfortable seating! The staff are often friendly, especially at the take-away bar, but slow upstairs - and I've had many a meal with a waiter that couldn't be bothered. When it gets busy, forget about it. I've had to wait upwards of a half an hour for my meal when I sit in the restaurant. After trying several things on the menu, I have to say that the veggie burger is my favourite, and a good sized portion. Very popular with the local expat crowd, who like to hang out there after a yoga session. Honestly, I'd tend more towards other places in HK unless I'm just popping for a salad, but it's a good place to take visitors.

Pros: good atmosphere, location, varied menu
Cons: pricey, slow service, hard seating
stillmedia
stillmedia

good splurge

4 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2009

my 2nd time in hong kong, and here for dinner. nice restaurant with good ethos and delicious food if you can afford to splurge. last time i ordered the layered vegetables with cashew cream, and although really good, it was a fairly small portion. tonight i ate the organic quinoa salad, a really good sized portion and very fresh yummy salad. my dinner companions got the life burger, and the morrocan stew, also both really good sized portions, and they really enjoyed their meals. my husband ordered the pizza which was a bit small, and he felt just average. the eggplant dip was really good, and the vegan chocolate mousse cake decadently rich (share it!). the staff is attentive but non intrusive, and friendly. nice atmosphere, relaxed, attractive environment. an enjoyable place to eat.

Pros: healthy food choices, clearly marked menu - vegan, gluten free, organic/fair trade
Cons: some small portions
dsrtgrl79
dsrtgrl79

Just average for such a top location in Soho

3 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2008

Average setting, slightly cramped. If you don't book for lunch you won't sit at the small 8 tables available. Best just to grab a selection of salads or desserts from downstairs. Their daily lunch specials are less creative this year. No more shephardess pie on Mondays :( For Soho, they need to up their game.

Pros: salads, desserts, location
Cons: lunch selection, opening times, cramped tables
iTom
iTom

Just OK

2 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2007

I was really hoping for something great, but didn't find it here. The atmosphere is very peaceful and the setting is nice, but the food was disappointing. Stopped in for a late Sunday lunch, but not many items were vegan. Lots of omelettes, etc. I had a fruit bowl that was 90% cantelope, with a couple pieces of pineapple and maybe 5 blueberries. I expected something better than that. Fresh juice was OK, but not that flavorful.

They have a bakery section downstairs, but again, almost all the items had eggs and/or milk.

Life may be OK for vegerarian options, but not much here for us vegans.

Pros: Good Atmosphere, Quiet, Service
Cons: Vegan Choices, Taste

Excellent place for lunch

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2007

The rooftop at Life reminds me of Italy! Even at busy lunch hour the place is relatively quiet and a good conversation is possible. The food taste great! I ordered the grilled pumkin salad and its definitely one of the best I've ever tried. I am a little surprise to read about the negative re-views. I hope they could give this place another chance.

Pros: food, environment, variety
Cons: staff could be more knowlegable

Life - addicted

5 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2007

I just moved to HK two months ago and for the past month I have been eating practically every day at Life. I am completely addicted - their salads are to die for -- Pumpkin & okhra, barley & mushroom and beetroot & apple... very fresh. And their coffee is good especially with a Spiraneli ball.... very surprised to read other review ~ I love Life!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Fresh Healthy veggies, Spiranelli Balls
Cons: Savory scones like rocks, Addictive
craigmc
craigmc

blah blah blah

2 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2007

i was really looking forward to this as my travel guide was singing its praises. however on arrival, after the staff could no longer avoid my gaze, i took a seat. i just found its like any other veggie restaurant anywhere. a pasta, a stir fry, quiche, salads, risotto, an asian curry and wait for it....veggie burrito. never ever seen a menu like this before.

i had wedges to start which were like car tyres, they felt re-heated. i had the nepalese curry next, bland bland bland. even my organic ale was out of the fridge(you dont keep ale in a fridge, like red wine, room temperature please).
it was also by far my most expensive meal in hong kong. in all fairness there were locals eating, and they seemed to be enjoying the food. maybe i've just had this menu too often(however rarely ths bad).

i could go on some more, but don't want to sound like i have a vendetta.

remebember reviews are personal opinions, and you might want to try this place, i just think there are far better indian and chinese veggie places in hong kong.

Cons: BLAND
Petesternz
Petesternz

Solid but unspectacular

3 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2007

We wanted to love this place!!! It is beautiful, and the food options are so varied it was exciting just to read the menu. Sadly, the food does not quite measure up to the surroundings or the ambitious menu. (Apparently, they are in the process of changing cooks...). Some items were very good, while others did not hit the right chords. Lentil burger was VERY disappointing, but the breakfast choices were stronger.

Pros: gorgeous location, good portions, amazing variety
Cons: food only average (plus)

Dear Owner and Manager of Life Organic Health Cafe: