Life Alive Urban Oasis and...

One of few locations. Offers fresh juices, smoothies, wraps, and dishes with tofu and quinoa, wraps. Also sells natural products. Sometimes referred to as Urban Oasis. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Fusion, American, Juice bar, Take-out
765 Massachusetts Ave (Central Square)
Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139
617-354-5433

Mon-Sat 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun 11:00am-7:00pm

First Review by m.sun
mmmscott
mmmscott

awesome

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2014

went twice to this place for their juices. would love to work there or just hang out. lots of options!

veganamanda
veganamanda

Love Life Alive!

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2014

The Cambridge location has a bit of a different feel from the Lowell location. It's much busier and frequented by a younger crowd. The seating is a bit tight, I'm pretty thin and could barely get between the tables to sit down.

The food is amazing, The Swami is my favorite. I also enjoy the smoothies. All my omnivore friends were "surprised" and enjoyed their meals.

The one bummer is that I noticed they put number pad locks on the bathrooms. I'm not sure if they had trouble with non-customers using the restroom, but it just gave off a "go away" vibe from such a friendly restaurant. I didn't like having to find someone to give me the code.

Pros: Food, Smoothies, Energy
Cons: lock on bathroom door - really?, tight seating/crowded
MrMoonshine
MrMoonshine

Amazing place

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

Visited this place a few times on a recent trip to Boston. It's one of those places I wish I have in my town. To be able to get delicious, healthy, organic, vegan food at a reasonable price is heaven for me.
My only gripe would be the code for the toilets. On one visit I was sat near them and observed many people having issues and needing to ask for the code. This place is supposed to all be about the love. Is it really a problem if a passer-by needs to go the toilet and uses yours? I mean I know, generally speaking, this is a major problem that we need to be cracking down on (and hard!), but maybe in this one oasis of hippie love an exception could be made.

Pros: Delicious, healthy food, Wonderful decor and vibe, Large portions
Cons: Code for toilets (where's the love?)

kobi
kobi

Delicious quality meals!

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

I wanted to check out the cambridge location after being at the lowell one. The food was delicious again ( we got the adventurer on a wrap, the swami on a wrap, the explorer salad, and the Lust Alive smoothie). The adventurer was my favorite, and the swami was my friend's favorite. No one cared much for the salad, and the smoothie was diluted too much in rice milk and very un-flavorful. Overall, the lowell location definitely does it better, but I do like that they have the menu posted on the wall at this location.

Pros: Good vibe, Menu Posted
Cons: Crowded
Alliz
Alliz

Put Your Dollar Here

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2013

5 stars for variety and raw menu
5 stars for value for money
5 stars for customer service

Since moving to Boston, Life Alive has become my choice place to eat. All food is cooked lightly, or prepared completely raw. This care ensures each dish maintains a nutritional benefit while still being a invigoratingly tasty chow.

Unlike most vegan restaurants, they source and use only organic ingredients. For me, this is an essential step in living the ecological consciousness vegans and rawists support.

Customers clear their plates and order food at the counter forcing the customer to be involved in their "economy" care sooner or later.

Put your dollar here.
Updated from previous review on Friday December 27, 2013

Pros: Excellent food, variety, Raw and nutritional benefit, Complete vegan/raw advocacy
Cons: Cash only
Skunky66613
Skunky66613

My Fav Vegetarian Restaurant In Boston

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

This place rocks. The food is so yummy you'll love it even if not a vegan/vegetarian. The atmosphere is fun and arty and the staff is VERY friendly...how it should be if you're an enthusiastic hippy. Healthy and delish and that is what you should get when eating vegetarian/vegan. The best in vegetarian food!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Huge variety
Cons: Expensive, Can get crowded, Very hippy-ish
veggivet
veggivet

Lives up to its name, and more!

5 Posted on 07 / 23 / 2013

I stumbled upon this vegan oasis in Cambridge and am so grateful I found it. As soon as you walk in the front door, you can sense a wonderful vibe. All the workers look like they really enjoy their job, and it shows in the food and the service. I had an Alchemist Salad with a Coconut Alive smoothie, and all I can say is this was one of the best vegan lunches I've had in a long time. The smoothie was so good, I ordered another one for dessert. Desserts are the only thing lacking here, but you will almost certainly be satisfied after any of the salads, wraps, or bowls. 99% vegan, with the vast majority of that being raw. All in all, I think it is the best place for healthy, vegan food in the Boston area.

Pros: Quality and presentation of food., Friendly, efficient service., Reasonable prices for organic raw vegan.
Cons: No desserts., Parking can be difficult.
Vegansoymilk
Vegansoymilk

The best raw vegan option in boston

5 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2012

On the whole, Life Alive is a must-go! Juices and foods are so tasty and ORGANIC which is an important feature especially in the US where pesticides are poured on almost all types of vegetation.
I tasted the yummy "Jive alive juice" ( Cucumber, celery, kale, Lemon, Ginger) to kick up my energy level and the best salad ever " The searcher"!

Pros: Great raw vegan options, tasty
sglcklch
sglcklch

Great lunch place

4 Posted on 03 / 20 / 2012

Food is simple, nothing that you can't really make at home, but it's super healthy, nutritious and tasty to boot. Great location as it's only steps away from Central Square T stop. Decor is funky and hippie. I came on a Sunday afternoon and the place was hopping. It got a little noisy, but that's maybe because we sat upstairs. I liked that they offered half size, which to me was quite the perfect portion for one. Definitely a place for lunch or a quick bite.

Pros: healthy, good food, location
Cons: little noisy
markc7
markc7

nice atmosphere, food ok

4 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2012

Life Alive is a pretty good place for a healthy and hearty meal. The smoothies are excellent. The food, in the other hand, was just ok. Fresh and colourful, but somewhat bland just the same. maybe they need to use a few more spices, our perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for that kind of meal. Regardless, prices and portions are fine, and the atmosphere is funky and energetic.

Pros: healthy
Cons: food a bit bland
Petesternz
Petesternz

Great option

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

This is a place that delivers exactly what they advertise - tasty, healthy, nutritious food that satisfies. It is effectively a bowl and wraps place, with very few surprises, but as aforementioned, they deliver exactly what they promise. I had a Lovers bowl that was extremely tasty, and while the portion was not immense (get the full size unless you're teeny-tiny or not hungry at all), it was enough. I felt full without being bloated. The smoothie was satisfactory, though it didn't blow me away. All in all, a really enjoyable experience in a pleasant atmosphere. I'd certainly come back again, though nothing was out of the ordinary or superb.

Pros: Healthy, Good atmosphere
jackienatale
jackienatale

The adventurer!

5 Posted on 07 / 28 / 2011

I love Live Alive. The adventurer bowl/wrap is the greatest combination of veggies I have ever eaten :)

great service, friendly people, take out... yum

VeganVagabond
VeganVagabond

A very welcome addition to Central Square

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2011

I eat here all the time, so I figure it's about time to write a review. In all honesty, I hesitate to do this because the place is already getting very popular (crowded) and I'm afraid I have nothing but nice things to say.

Nearly all the menu is vegan, so there is a wide range of choices. Most of the warm meals consist of a grain (usually brown rice or quinoa), a wide variety of fresh organic vegetables, some nuts or seeds, and some sort of sauce. You can get these either in a bowl or as a wrap, but I always get a bowl because you can fit more veggies in it (and they do!).

I originally wasn't too keen on some of these warm dishes because the put more sauce on it then I would like (many won't mind this, but I prefer my food as unadulterated as possible -- let the veggies speak for themselves). Then I found that they were more than happy to go light on the sauce, or omit it entirely. The staff are very friendly and will do anything they can to help you make the most of your meal. My current favorite is "The Innocent", but I am also quite find of "The Fool" and "The Lover".

They also have several meal-size salads, most of which come with one of two varieties of hummus: lemon-garlic or red-lentil. I highly recommend the red-lentil, it is low-fat, protein-rich, and very tasty. On the days that I get a salad, I generally alternate between "The Explorer" and "The Sufi Poet".

There are also soups of the day, some of which are truly awesome (I love the black bean) so definitely take a look at these before you order. A cup of soup and one of their big salads makes a perfect meal.

There are also "warm cheesy wraps" on the menu, but they aren't vegan (and even if they were I wouldn't be likely to order them, I'm not a big fan of vegan cheese), so I won't say anything about them. And they have an amazing juice bar which I keep meaning to try, but I haven't yet.

The atmosphere is awesome -- full of plants and funky artwork. It has a great vibe and is a really cool place to just hang out. Unfortunately this (and the great food) have made it very popular and it can get crowded. I recommend avoiding the lunch hour rush -- go before noon or after 1:30.

The only thing that would make Life Alive a more perfect place than it already is would be some homemade whole wheat bread (currently they don't offer bread of any sort, only the whole wheat tortillas they use for the wraps).

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Great atmosphere
Cons: Can be crowded, No bread
nardanddee
nardanddee

Nice...I'll return

4 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2011

I went here about 3 weeks ago, so I don't recall the name of the wrap that I purchased. I believe it was something like a Goddess Wrap. It was really tasty. Lots of choices on the menu and you can swap quinoa for brown rice. The place gets packed around lunch time. I was pleased, and plan to return when I'm back in the area.

Pros: variety, friendly staff, good pricing
Cons: no seating at lunch time
laurasremedies
laurasremedies
  • raw

Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe

5 Posted on 03 / 21 / 2011

Urban Oasis is our newest favorite vegetarian restaurant in the Boston area. Located on Mass Ave in Central Square in Cambridge, MA, it is right on the MBTA, or a short amble down from Harvard Square. Their food is so good that I am still craving their "The Lover" bowl, with extra garlic and avocado. It is addictively good! Too bad I live in Maine, and can only get there sporadically, but if you live or are visiting the Boston area, go to Urban Oasis! Your body and mind will thank you. Your cells will thank you. I can't wait until we go back.

Pros: delicious healthy food, inexpensive, organic, seasonal foods
Cons: They aren't in Maine!
m.sun
m.sun

Delicious organic foods and smoothies

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2010

This place just opened up in Central Square and it is already one of my favorite vegan havens in the Boston area.
It is a newly renovated space, with a nice ambiance, and it decorated almost like a yoga studio. I might say it's almost a little too hippyish/new age, but it doesn't bother me as the food is really good.
The salads come as a bowl, wrap or demi, and are creative, and flavorful. The large bowl is a good serving size.
The entrees also come as a bowl, sandwich, or demi, and the 3 I've tried so far are all delicious.
The selection is almost all vegan, some dishes contain cheese or egg. They can substitute Daiya vegan cheese and hold egg to make those vegan.
They have an extensive juice and smoothie bar, and also offer coffee and teas. They have soy, rice and almond milk.
This place is mostly or completely organic, all the fruits and vegetables are really fresh and tasty. Understandable each meal is more expensive than non-organic cafes.
This place has pretty much all you can want in a vegetarian/vegan cafe and smoothie bar.

Pros: delicious, fast, friendly service, newly renovated space
Cons: pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Life Alive Urban Oasis and Organic Cafe: