Lettuce Love Cafe - Kindfood

Lettuce Love Cafe is Canada's first vegan & gluten-free restaurant (previously Kindfood). Provides fresh, healthy cuisine prepared from scratch with emphasis on local, organic, farm-to-table. Fully licensed. Friendly service in a warm environment at Burlington's downtown beautiful waterfront, steps from its sister business, Kelly's Bake Shoppe. Voted "Best Vegan Restaurant Outside Toronto" and rated as Burlington's #1 restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Macrobiotic, Western, Bakery, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering
399 John Street (Lakeshore)
Burlington, Ontario L7R 2K3
905-637-2700

Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by moshimoshi
Keith_Thode
Keith_Thode

It has everything going for it.

5 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2014

It's a few blocks from the main highway between Niagara/Hamilton and Toronto. Parking is easy and inexpensive. I no longer need to wait until I get to Toronto when traveling from Niagara. This place is as good as any in Toronto and better than most.

I ate 2 meals inside and 1 take-out: 1 burger, 1 Buddha bowl, 1 sandwich, 1 soup, 2 smoothies. 5 stars for everything.

Mike, behind the counter, in front of the counter, always talking - and listening, your guide to food ecstasy, gives new meaning to extrovert.

• kindfood kindfood

Thanks so much for the great review and for pointing out Mike, who is our iconic Customer Service King. We hope t see you again soon and so glad you enjoyed our mazing food:)

HealthyLifeOne
HealthyLifeOne

Outstanding

5 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2014

This place is brilliant! The staff engaging, inspiring and attentive! The food creative, healthy, so delicious, and totally satisfying.( Worth every penny ) all items offered not only vegan, but gluten and sugar free! Beautiful food presentation. Had tempeh steak special and veggie burger, localish cold press juice co -red monster....Fun easy casual atmosphere, Great hip music, clean, ( visible open energetic kitchen) outdoor patio. Conscious eating at its best! Puts Burlington's beautiful lakeshore on the map~ take stroll around the corner to Kelly's Bakery!!

Little Laura
Little Laura

Nice little place to eat

5 Posted on 09 / 21 / 2014

Very cute place, good food. Feel safe eating there even with my gluten allergy, which is rare.

Pros: Good food, Nice staff, Quaint decor
Cons: Small, Always packed

Thanks little Laura:
    So glad you came to check us out and enjoyed it.

Inkntofu
Inkntofu

Wow!!

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

I had the Huevos Rachero bowl and LOVED IT! Cute cafe, very friendly staff, will defs go again :)

Lynzie13
Lynzie13

My Favourite Restaurant!

5 Posted on 04 / 29 / 2014

Lettuce Love Cafe is a wonderful place to eat, whether you are vegan, gluten-free, or none of the above and just want to eat better! The food is delicious AND healthy, what more could you want? My favourite is the "California Burger", I always end up ordering that even though I tell myself to try something new! It's a grilled tempeh burger that changed my mind about tempeh! I didn't think I liked tempeh but since trying their burgers, I'm a convert, delicious. The food is fresh, very healthy and very tasty. They have salads, bowls, sandwiches, burgers, yummy appetizers (avocado fries!!), delicious smoothies, amazing desserts and a fantastic Sunday brunch! The atmosphere is relaxed and unpretentious, and the staff are super friendly and helpful, they make you feel like you're a friend, not just a customer. I live about 25 minutes away from Lettuce Love but the drive is always worth it, absolutely fantastic place to nourish yourself.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 29, 2014

Pros: delcious, healthy food, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere
Cons: none
  • PeterShaw PeterShaw

Great restaurant!! Food was delicious and filling. I had the Power Bowl and a smoothie with almond milk, Cocoa, dates, and other delicious foods. My wife had a Reuben sandwich and a side Caesar salad. This was for lunch today. We also went there when it was called Kind Food. Helpful staff and a very busy place.Thanks Kelly and your daughter! You both rock!!

usernamedmao
usernamedmao

Fantastic

5 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

Passing through the area, I stopped at this place for breakfast. All of the staff is extraordinarily friendly, and it has a nice atmosphere. The food was good, and their smoothies are perfect. I would recommend this place to anyone. I wish it was a bit closer to me!

Pros: All vegan, Nice staff, Good food
veganstastebetter
veganstastebetter

wonderful place

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2013

We found this place by accident one day when looking for somewhere to eat lunch. I felt so spoiled by all the great selection. I left stuffed but I paid an arm and a leg. I will be back for more.

Pros: great tasting healthy food, location, staff
Cons: not much seating, no table service, kinda, expensive
krissimi
krissimi

Disappointing...

2 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

I have gone to Kindfood a few times. I have teetered on veganism while being a vegetarian for decades. Every time I've gone in, the staff try to vegucate me without asking if I am vegan or veg first. I haven't been able to get a word in while I'm given the lowdown on what a vegan diet is. This is odd to me. I don't like their hours, or their desserts. They make me feel sick after. There is too much sugar in their sweets and this also disappoints as I would expect healthier tasting desserts from there. I find their food overpriced for what one gets. The savoury foods are alright if you are not really hungry. I haven't gone back in a year now because It's a waste of my money and they're never opened anyway. I would really love to see them improve since I have been to raw vegan places in the US, Europe, Latin America and Canada and may have higher standards than the typical Burlington resident who is new to this diet....

Pros: location and atmosphere, attempt to serve meals
Cons: too much sugar in desserts, vegucating before asking, too pricy and poor hours
  • HealthyLifeOne HealthyLifeOne

I just can't believe this review if you've nothing nice to say please! These people are working hard to promote healthy eating . take your year later negative review time and energy to hit up on it he restaurants that care less what they put on you plate . This restaurant is outstanding award winning total 5star

MartinS
MartinS

All Round Awesome

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

From the warm welcome coming through the door to the excellent service and awesome food, Kindfoods deserves to be much more famous than it currently is.

The menu is still a little small, but there is enough choice to keep locals and visitors alike happy.

The fact that is is very busy any time I've been in speaks volumes about how good it it. And I know there are not that many vegetarians and vegans in Burlington, so clearly what they serve appeals to all tastes.

Pros: Excellent service, Awesome food
Cons: Menu is still a little small
CanadianConnoisseur
CanadianConnoisseur

Chocolate. Lemon. Red Velvet. World Peace.

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

Have some non-vegan skeptics? Hit them with a bite of the Mile-High brownie and they'll be converted. The brownie is moist, but the real kicker is the Ganache drizzled on top.

I'm a sucker for anything with their decadent ganache, so naturally I love their black magic cupcake - rich chocolate cake filled with ganache.

But they're not all about rich, chocolately decadence. Some of their cupcakes that rival the Black Magic & Mile High brownie are most definitely the Lemon cupcake & Red Velvet.

The Lemon is perfect - so light, flavorful but not overpowering, and has, in my opinion, the best icing on top (also slightly lemon). Just a perfect, light, treat. The Red Velvet is unbelievable - and the most flavorful cake base for sure. I'd say avoid the Vanilla and Cookies and Cream - they don't stand up to the others.

And their cookies - I wasn't blown away by their chocolate cookie, but others have sworn by it. For me - it's all about their World Peace Cookie. I could eat a dozen in one go. They're the perfect oat cookie. Even if you're not a fan of oats, I guarantee you will love this one. Kelly has posted the recipe on her blog which I encourage everyone to try for themselves - it really is one of the best oatmeal cookie recipes out there :)

ErinJanus
ErinJanus

Cruelty-free, Organic, Delicious

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2013

I have to give Kindfood 5 stars.

It's cruelty-free, it's organic, it's delicious. That's worthy of 5 stars. Their Buddha Bowl is so awesome, whenever I'm downtown Burlington... it's hard to not keep coming back for it.

Regarding the opinions on it being pricey... I am eager to explore why people have the illusion that vegan/organic dining is SO much more expensive than conventional, when in many cases, it is not. Many get that doomful uncomfortable feeling when they reach into their wallet to pay for something that they know is vegan, organic... and happens to be $11 or $12.

This happened with a family member I was with the other day. I go out and about with them a couple times a month, and we always have a good time. Swiss Chalet is the place they usually happily treat me to. But this time I said I'll treat, and suggested we go to Kindfood. I ordered two Buddha Bowls for us.

"It's ten dollars!" they gasped.
"It's okay, I'm paying for it."
They had a twisted, conflicted look on their face. We sat down and after a while, a light bulb went off in my head. "Do you think Swiss Chalet is expensive?" I asked.
"No." they said comfortably.
"The veggie burger there that we both had last week was like $11. That's a dollar more than this. How come you don't think it's expensive?"
They pondered and said, "Wow, you're right. And it wasn't even good."

Later that day sitting in a coffee shop we wrote down all the awesome ingredients that were in the Buddha bowl, the approximate cost (organic), and concluded that the price is very fair!

And, for how FILLING and CLEAN and NUTRITIOUS the food is, it's of more VALUE to your body than conventional greasy meals... and often very close or equal in price to the dishes of other restaurants.

Seriously... why does someone overlook an $11 plate of greasy low-quality conventional fries and a non-fermented GMO soy burger at Swiss Chalet NOT expensive... but then an $11 organic nutrition powerhouse-plate 'pricey?'

I've learned a big part of people's reluctance to choose organic/vegan food guilt-free is a totally false misconception that they've let sink into their subconscious minds. Next time you gasp at the price of an organic vegan meal... do the math, observe the nutrition and ingredients, and you might be surprised. Your opinion may completely change. :-)

Anyways, back to the point... Kindfood rocks.

Pros: Soy is organic and fermented
Cons: Water unfiltered
  • HealthyLifeOne HealthyLifeOne

We must support theses healthy restaurants !!
    Keep bringing your friends away from places like that pathetic chicken at Swiss chalet. ( I use to think the tasty sauce, plumped up mini bird, fried nonorganic scary mini chip ettes were great fast Canadian food for price but nutritionally a big rip off - cant trust em they are doing everything to decrease quality of food, plump up the flavor with who knows what chemicals, to increase their profit) .
    .People that look only at cost become miserable, slowly unhealthy, they neglect to see big picture.
    The benefits of eating vegan to your health , the planet and your soul are worth every supporting penny. .
    This place puts love in their name and you can feel it the food and place. Body happy and grateful after.

CourtneyM
CourtneyM

tasty and healthy!

5 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2013

Really well done, healthy and tasty. The sort of restaurant you would expect downtown a major city. Great to see passionate people bring this kind of quality to their community. Very much worth a detour for if you are anywhere near Burlington.

Pros: healthy, quality, tasty
DangerGirl
DangerGirl

Great food!

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

Had a great experience. Now that the hours are extended a bit it made getting in a lot easier. Kale Ceaser is amazing!! The Reuben was ok but I don't really get the whole fake meat and fake cheese thing. Michael was great very friendly and was able to prioritize taking our order and chatting with us and other patrons. My daughter really liked his attention too (she's 1) only downside was there's no baby change station in either bathroom. I had to change her on the floor :(

Pros: Service, Food
Cons: No baby change station!!!
Reindea
Reindea

good food, friendly staff!

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

I love this little place, always great food. I do wish they would expand the menu a bit as you get tired of the same old choices. I also wish they had better hours, almost impossible to get there.

Pros: gluten free choices, friendly staff, yummy food
Cons: times, price, seating
wrathofelvis
wrathofelvis

Gorgeous Food, Adorable Staff ,"Nail It" Everytime

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2012

Kind Foods is one of the best restaurants in the province of Ontario & THE best baked goods maker in the history of dessert (their vegan and gluten-free composition is largely immaterial to me but makes them that much more impressive and spectacular). I have no idea how anyone could have a negative experience at Kind Foods but I also remember overhearing someone in Tulum, Mexico complaining that the gorgeous beach "wasn't wide enough" so I suppose there are some people whose expectations cannot be met because, as people, they are defined by unmet expectations. In the one year that my wife and I have been living in Burlington, we have eaten there over 40 times (not even counting darting in for cupcakes or Mile-High Brownies) & we have NEVER been disappointed in the exceptional quality of the food or the flawless service. My wife is a vegetarian; I am not. That said, I will continue to eat at Kind Foods (even after we leave Burlington) for one reason: their food is un-@#$*ing-believably good. I can say without fear of dissent that the Kind Foods "Reuben" is beyond reproach...artfully grilled and pickled Tempeh, the absolutely perfect complimentary portion of organic sauerkraut (if you've ever experienced "sauerkraut overkill", you know what I'm talking about), a homemade Russian dressing that will make you believe in sandwich condiments again on the most decadent, gorgeous toasted bread you have ever consumer in your ENTIRE LIFE...sorry for yelling...it is THAT good. I find myself making mildly erotic-sounding "joy noises" & barely restraining myself from gleefully cursing "What a brilliant #$%*ing sandwich!" And this is BEFORE dessert, which is why they are famous. Anyone who has ever eaten vegan, gluten-free attempts at dessert can tell you that, although their intentions are good, rarely do they get it right. Previously, when I've had gluten-free, vegan brownies, cupcakes, pound cake or cookies, there is always an aftertaste that just doesn't belong...something medicinal, cabbage-y and crumbly that just doesn't work and makes you empathize with Celiacs. At Kind Foods, their cupcakes are FLAWLESS, inventive and rich. Dulce De Leche that is (somehow) dairy-free but impossibly rich, moist and decadent. rich Red Velvet cupcakes that actually ive up to their name. Add to this staff (and an owner!) that are charismatic, authentic, knowledgable and more than a little adorable & you have an unmatched, magical food experience. A bajillion @#$%ing stars!

Pros: Taste, flavours, quality, Decandence/Creativity, Exceptional Service
Cons: Seating Space, if I must choose, None, Don't be ridiculous
  • KellyChilds KellyChilds

Wow! What an incredible review!!!! Best EVER I'd say... Thank you so much for loving us and feeling what we do.
    No words could ever express how grateful I am for you taking the time to surround us with tons of love....:) Random acts of kindness make the world a better place.

Sincerely,
    Kelly Childs
    P.S. Please say hi to me next time you're in. Please.

David Milmine
David Milmine

Great Food -- Great Staff -- Great Atmosphere

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2012

I've made several visits to Kindfood. Kelly Childs and her staff are amazing to start. When you enter the store you are immediately welcomed. Mike, who is behind the counter , happily welcomes you -- serves you as quickly as he can -- or helps you select something from the menu. He knwos the product inside out / backwards / every which way.
He gets your order in -- Thanks you again for comin in -- and then will eventually deliver the food to your table if you are eating in or on the patio.

Now -- let's talk food. I've thoroughly enjoyed the Kindburger ( a tempeh patty with all the fixins) -- this burg is full of flavor -- a party happening in your mouth !! Lots of cheese and be sure to have the UN-bacon -- crunchy and smoky and mouth pleasing. A definite item to try.
I had a Caesar salad -- fresh / crunchy / house made dressing and amazing croutons. Be sure to order this or one of the other scrumptious salads they will make.
Finally -- today I had the Goddess Bowl. Crunchy veggies over rice and sauteed Kale. AMAZING. Very filling and flavor over and over.
Need a vegan lunch -- be sure to get in to Kindfood -- enjoy lunch -- add the Green Smoothie to drink with your purchase -- and finish with one of the many wonderful cupcakes
This is one of my very favourite places to visit -- I'm sure if you visit once -- your going to want to come back. Thanks Kelly / Mike and Kindfood staff for creating a great place with great food to match.

Pros: fantastic food, friendly staff, flavor over flavor over flavor
Cons: sometimes tricky finding a parking spot

Delightful!

4 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

My husband and I had lunch at Kindfood today. I had the Kind sandwich and he had the B.L.A.T. Both were very good. My husband thought the sandwich could have been larger though. For dessert I had an amazing lemon cupcake and he loved his cookies and cream cupcake. They were delicious! We bought a few more to bring home to our kids and they loved them too! Will definitely return if in the area again.

Pros: gluten-free, friendly staff
Cons: small portions
Zo
Zo

Kindfood Vegan Bakery,Organic Cafe And Juice Bar.

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2012

One of a Kind Vegan bakery,organic cafe and juice bar. Kindfood has such an extraordinarily impressive selection of vegan delicacy with gluten free,soy free options.

StephanieC
StephanieC

Amazing, tasty, kind, hard to believe it's vegan!

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2011

The food here is incredible. If you are vegan, vegetarian, Celiac, gluten intolerant, or a combo of any of those, KindFood is the place for you! There is an amazing menu of tasty, filling, delicious vegan and gluten free foods, including caesar salad, tempeh burgers, bac-un topped sandwiches, and fabulous desserts. No lard, no gelatin, no nonsense, no refined sugar.

I highly recommend KindFood for the food to anyone. It is more expensive than your average cafe, but the quality, environmentally conscious food is worth the extra money if you can afford it. It obviously costs more for them to source environmental supplies, and non-traditional cheap sweeteners/wheat/ingredients, so the slightly higher costs are justifiable. I just wish it was cheaper so I could eat there every day.

The owner, Kelly, is so passionate about what she does, and it shows with the food. It would be great if they could produce some of their products in bulk for freezing so I could eat more of their stuff at home.

If you dine in, allow a little extra time for your lunch, since they are ALWAYS busy, and quality takes time. The food is truly fantastic, and kind.

Pros: Freeing for vegans, Delicious vegan & gluten-free food, Celiac-safe
Cons: More costly (but worth it), Takes longer (but worth the wait)
  • StephanieC StephanieC

Forgot to mention that they also have an INCREDIBLE dessert menu including protein-rich vegan cookies, muffins, and tasty vegan and GF cupcakes. Also had pumpkin cheesecake in October which was amazing. I have never tried their cake, but watched several people pick up vegan gluten-free cakes while I was dining there.

You MUST visit KindFood at least once to understand how fabulous they are!

MegHasCurls
MegHasCurls

best cupcakes ever.

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2011

i had read about kindfood in nearby burlington, and mentioned to my friend who lives there that i'd like to try it the next time i'm in town. so when she came into toronto for my birthday, she brought a box of kindfood gluten-free, vegan cupcakes with her! i was hesitatant (i didn't want my love for cupcakes to be tainted with a less than perfect "healthy" cupcake) but i tried their chocolate mint and LOVED IT! they were honestly some of the best cupcakes i've ever had, and unlike normal cupcakes made with refined sugar and butter, these ones didn't make me want to take a nap afterwards :) i even ate another one later that night & one the next day...and definitely plan to stock up on more the next time i'm back in burlington! LOVE kindfood. yay!

Pros: delicious, whole food, feels good
Cons: too far from toronto!
kare4u
kare4u

Delish and cannot wait to go back!!

5 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2011

I had just moved to the area and was very much looking forward to tasting KIND FOOD. I had the Tempeh burger and the mint chocolate cupcake. I am dreaming of when I can eat them both again. The burger had a nutty flavour and the housemade "mayo" went perfectly together. The bun it was on was incredible and soft and fluffy and tasty.... the Gluten free cupcake was moist and full of flavour. The frosting was smooth and refreshing. all in all - you must go and enjoy the delicious food and goodies and the service was helpful and friendly!

Pros: delicious food, very filling, friendly staff
TrevorMontague
TrevorMontague

Kindfood

5 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

Amazing place to eat. Their food is unbelievably good, and their bakery is awesome. The whole bakery is gluten free as well, and they have many gluten free options which is great. I love this place

Pros: food, service, atmosphere
Cons: limited hours
KimmytheVegan
KimmytheVegan

Amazing food & energy!

5 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

Stumbled across this place when I was taking a course in Burlington but it was unfortunately closed. I finally had the chance to check it out yesterday and although it was an hour drive away - it was totally worth the trip. The place is cute (and clean!). The food is just amazing! The staff are super friendly and helpful. It has a great vibe =)
My husband and I ordered a caesar salad and a Kind burger and it was seriously the best vegan meal I have had in Canada. And guilt free! All of the food is 100% vegan, local & organic as much as possible.
Although I've been find it easier and easier to find vegan food, dessert is always a tough one - but not here. The cupcakes are to die for! We tried the Dulce de Leche and mint chocolate chip to go and tried the brownie & ice cream sandwich while there and wow is all I can say. Just incredible food.
I will definitely go back!

Cynandger
Cynandger

The Best Vegan Food EVER!

5 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2011

Having looked at the site and watched the youtube channel from afar, we finally made the hour trek to Kind Food for lunch. WOW, am I ever glad we did! We sampled almost EVERYTHING! Loved the chocolate shake, bikini tonic, ceasar salad, Kind burger, BLAT sandwich, Collard Wrap, and the desserts! They defy description! OMG amazing! This is Vegan food done right! I would make the trip here again in a heart beat.

Pros: Dog friendly patio, Freshly made meals, super friendly people
Cons: none
gabynbrad
gabynbrad

The real "Happy Meal"

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2011

This is a place that makes you feel very welcome right away. No attitude and lots of great flavours.

Our family has recently switched to a plant-based diet, so when we found out about Kindfood we were beyond excited. And the experience we had there did not let us down.
We liked the food so much that we had lunch and dinner during the Burlington Sound of Music Festival. It's so great to go to a place that has wonderful "safe" food and not have to worry if there's any animal product being used!
Price wise, I believe you get what you pay for (most of the time anyway), so it's worth to pay a bit more for something that good.

I really recommend Kindfood!

Pros: wonderful and original food, very friendly staff, very clean
  • kindfood kindfood

Thank you so much for kind words and support. We really try hard and are so very passionate about bringing clean, local and organic animal-free food to our customers. We are excited to launch our new menu coming in July and also offering more "Grab and Go" and take-out foods in our fridges. We will also be offering our delicious GF Vegan baked goods on line! Thanks again for your support. We hope to give you many more reasons to visit us.

Petesternz
Petesternz

Very good - yes; vegan paradise? Umm, no.

4 Posted on 05 / 10 / 2011

I feel like this review needs to be written in the context of the rave reviews that preceded it, as they were what convinced me to visit Kindfood. So let's be clear: I enjoyed my visit to Kindfood. I gave it four cows. It was a nice meal, and the people who work there are as wonderful and helpful as everyone says. Nonetheless, this was not a great eating experience. It was a good one. I enjoyed it, and would go back if I'm in the area, but it is not a Top 10 place for me, and did not meet the expectations created by the amazing reviews listed below.

We had a salad, a sandwich, a smoothie, and a donut. All of them were well made and tasty. None of them stood out. The Reuben sandwich was probably the best of the lot. Still, I've had better sandwiches of this type. The salad was very basic, but the ingredients were fresh and filling. The smoothie was good too. The donut was actually disappointing. It was more like a cake with frosting than a real donut, which I was craving. Again, it was tasty - but it wasn't a real donut (see Voodoo Donuts, Portland, for the real thing).

On top of it all, though this was a minor quibble, everything was really expensive, even for vegan food. The smoothie, which was quite small, was $7.50. Again, I can live with this, and understand this is a small enterprise, and I don't mind paying the money to help it thrive.

Overall, a good experience. Please do visit Kindfood, as it's worth doing so, but temper your expectations and take some of the reviews listed below with a grain of salt.

Pros: superb staff, healthy
Cons: expensive, small portions
  • kindfood kindfood

Thank you for the complete critique of Kindfood. We assume that you are very much a foodie based on your 144 reviews of international establishments to date, therefore we feel honoured that you placed us in such high regard. Thank you once again and hope to see you soon so we can dazzle you some more. Be well.:)

Ken4057
Ken4057

Kind peeps, too

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2011

Stopped here on the way to the US and was surprised and delighted. Lovely shopping area near the lake, a warm interior (pretty tiny though, but not at all cramped), and beautiful chalk-drawn menu board (which I personally love).

We had the caesar salad and grilled cheese sandwiches. Fresh, thick, homemade multigrain bread well-grilled and buttery (but likely made with Earth Balance of course).

The caesar salad was sharp, tangy and came with crunchy tempeh croutons. Perfect.

Everything came in stylish wooden trays. Nice touch.

The owners were super friendly and optimistic about the business. It was certainly busy when half a dozen yuppie mothers with babies came in and took over the place.

Lots of organic produce, health products and eco-friendly snacks, etc. A bit pricey, but it's an upscale location, so what do you expect.

Definitely coming back.

asthill
asthill

Wonderful lunch!

5 Posted on 03 / 06 / 2011

The desserts are amazing!!!! Had a wrap today along with a chocolate blast shake and, for dessert, one of their cupcakes that are as delicious as they are beautiful.
Alison

mikethevegan
mikethevegan

Delicious!

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

All of my experiences with Kindfood have been wonderful. The cupcakes are delicious, including the more unusual flavours (beet-flavoured cupcakes!) It was a real thrill to have a marshmallow rice treat after more than a decade without one. I'll be going back again and again.

Pros: good location, reasonable prices, decadent treats
kryanne
kryanne

Kindfood will keep you coming back for more!!

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2011

Kindfood is everything and more that a person could hope for when it comes to vegan dining. The environment is gorgeous and positive. The staff are exceptional in every way, friendly and sincere. The food is outstanding, everything i have tried has been insanely delicious from the Happy Buddah Bowl, BLAT, Vegan Ceasar Salad, Collard wrap, Fresh Juices. Then of course the baked goods are icing on the cake. Having been to some of the top Vegan establishments in North America including Candle 79 in NYC i would say Kindfood is at the same level of Fabulous in the eyes of both vegans and non-vegans. You will not be disappointed!

Pros: Passionate staff, Inviting Atmosphere, Lots of options
Cons: Only one location, Not open evenings
Sherryl
Sherryl

KindFood & Kind People

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2010

I recently discovered KindFood while searching for a good Vegan restaurant in my area. The service was fantastic, the food was delicious, and atmosphere was lovely. There is a small outside area if you want to enjoy your meal right away, however, there is limited seating available inside. Since my first visit, I have enjoyed KindFood meals on a weekly basis. On a couple of occasions, I have driven there only to find that it was closed (KindFood is open Tuesday - Saturday). My hope is that the demand for more KindFood allows for a larger establishment that is open 7 days a week!

Pros: Food, Service, Value
Cons: Small seating area, Closed Sun & Mon
marijkevangeel
marijkevangeel

Allergy friendly

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2010

My daughter has a severe milk and egg allergy. So although it was not our choice we have eliminated all milk and eggs from our diet and our home. Kindfood is fantastic, I can take my daughter there and she can have anything in the store. We have never been able to go to a store and she can pick out a treat. She picks the cupcakes of course. She loves them and so do I. By far the best vegan cupcakes that I have had. Working my way through the foods that are available. My daughters favorites are the lasagna and mac and cheese. So happy Kindfood opened near us. I'm one happy mom.

Pros: great food, good location
Steph H
Steph H

High Quality - A Real Treat!

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2010

This is the real deal - finally in Burlington! All the goodies in the grocery section that I usually have to go to specialty stores for, right in downtown Burlington, close to home. I've enjoyed the juices and the sandwiches, but the baked goods and entrees really sing (like the Mac n Cheeze today!). It's a real treat to get such quality and to not have to make it myself is such a bonus! I always feel good after a meal here. And they have Daiya cheese!!!

Pros: Delicious, Healthy, Authentic
Cons: A little pricey sometimes
VeganYogini
VeganYogini

A rare treat!

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2010

Kindfood is an absolute gem! If you're searching for a vegan food paradise, look no further! This place is adorable - from the bright pink and green exterior to the vegan celebrity quotes on the floor. I always feel welcome when I enter the door. There's always a smiling face there eager to help.
Kindfood has something for everyone - fresh juices / smoothies, sandwiches, baked goods, fresh produce, and hard to find items like Sweet & Sara's marshmallows and Daiya cheese and much, much more!
I live in St. Catharines, but I'm happy to make the 40 minute drive to pick up some goodies.

Pros: Great food, VEGAN, Wonderful staff
PrettyUnique
PrettyUnique

My favorite Vegan Sanctuary

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2010

Kindfood has been an incredible blessing to me!!

I struggled with the thought of what I had to give up going Vegan. However, the more I researched and the more I learned, my consciousness grew around food. I realized the only healthy way to go was to become Vegan. I have been Vegetarian for as long as I can remember. I had a real issue with Animal cruelty as a youth and that helped me boycott eating meat. The more I learned about Dairy, I found out that it was incredible Dis-ease causing and was hearing about it for years. In fact, there is a lot of animal cruelty behind dairy as well. My daily walk of life is a spiritual one. I cannot claim to be spiritual in my mind if I am supporting cruelty. Scripture tells us to be kind to all living things. I no longer support BAD KARMA.

I had heard about Kindfood from a friend of mine. She told me there is a new vegan cafe that just opened up in town. I was incredible excited about this. I remember dragging a friend of mine to come check it out with me, and I have been there every week since they have opened! Sometimes more then once a week to be honest. I'm very happy to know I have a place to come to where I don't have to worry about what I'm about to purchase and consume. When I shop or eat other places, I have to work harder to find out whats hidden in the food. I'm very comfortable coming here and I feel very blessed to know there are amazing people in this world that want to make a difference and open a path for like minded people to follow. The staff is incredible humble and sweet. There all very "KIND". Which makes them one of a "KIND"!!!

I love this shop! The atmosphere and the energy in the store is awesome. Its all very positive and I wish them all the success in the world and hope that this will inspire others to go "VEGAN"!!

Like Gandhi says... "Be the change you wish to see in the world".

-One love-

Pros: Healthy food, Great moral values, Inspirational
peace of her mind
peace of her mind

Even The Air Feels Better At Kindfood!

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2010

I've been vegetarian since early childhood & grew up in Burlington...if ONLY Kindfood had been around back then!! I now live out of town but travel in to pick up groceries, have lunch my kids and get amazing gluten-free goodies for my niece. I walk in this place and I instantly feel more relaxed... it has a very peaceful, earthy, friendly atmosphere. The food is delish and people are as pleasantly sweet as the vegan/gluten-free baked goods they create! Whether you're vegan/vegetarian/celiac or even NONE of the above, you should give this place a try!

Pros: Vegan, Clean, Good Variety
World B. Free
World B. Free

Kindfood aka SUPER AWESOME FOOD STORE!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2010

Hands down you will never frequent another vegan business that is more welcoming and friendly than Kindfood. Everyone is so helpful and genuinely interested in the community. This place is fantastic, seriously try everything on the menu (I am close to completing that goal!) So many great hard to find items and so close to Niagara. I love this store.

Pros: Friendly Staff , Community Oriented , Amazing Food

Great Vegan Grocery

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2010

I have only eaten at Kindfood once, but have visited the store to purchase vegan groceries a few times now. They have a beautiful selection, including mostly whole foods and a fine selection of organic produce. Their prices are fair and their staff (and owners) are bright and inviting. They're always happy to meet their customers and help them find whatever they need. If you're in Burlington or Toronto, Kindfood is a must-visit!

Pros: great staff, healthy food, great vegan variety
Downtown Gal
Downtown Gal

Kindfood - Wonderful Neighbourhood Spot

5 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2010

As a meat-eating, non-vegan who is trying to incorporate a wider variety of healthy foods into her diet, I was overjoyed to discover Kindfood on John Street in the heart of the downtown core. What drew me in initially was the colourful exterior with the whimsical sun artwork on the face of the building. What has kept me coming back is the incredible array of scrumptious take-out treats and interesting grocery items. The staff live and breathe their products and can speak knowledgeably about anything on the shelves. So, not only was I able to enjoy some fabulously delicious food, I was also educated about what I was eating. The desserts - every single one that I have tried - are incredible! My greatest "aha!" moment was discovering the OMG Grilled "Cheese" sandwich, made with Daiya cheddar. I have sampled some foul-tasting vegan cheeses in my time, so I was sceptical. Daiya cheese is a revelation for those of us who are trying to minimize our dairy intake, but still want the comfort food experience that only real cheese is able to provide......until Daiya came along! I purchased a container of grated Daiya cheddar today and plan to make my beloved Mac & Cheese, only guilt-free this time. Be sure to pick up a couple of vegan brownies or cupcakes when you visit. Bravo, Kindfood, for luring in us non-vegans and providing food so incredibly delicious that we forget how healthy it actually is!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 24, 2010
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 24, 2010

Pros: delicious foods, knowledgeable staff, colourful atmosphere
AnnieJ
AnnieJ

Delightful!

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2010

This is a lovely little place! Food is delicious and I love the Gluten-Free options. Their Chocolate Chip Toll House cookies are absolutely amazing. Also highly recommend the grilled "cheese" and the "B"LAT. Super friendly and helpful staff, nice to eat in or on the patio.

Pros: GF Groceries and Menu, Friendly Staff, Delicious food
zee
zee

Kindfood is a sanctuaty for vegans

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

Kindfood is like no other cafe in Burlington. The bright green and pink exterior really stands out on the street and make it very welcoming and friendly to people passing by. I'll start off by saying the carrot and banana smoothie was out of this world, they said it tasted like carrot cake and they wern't kidding! The Happy buddah bowl to this day is my favourtie thing hands down but the OMG grilled cheese, BLAT and cesar salad are equally as delicious! We ate outside at the seating area and got a nice view of Lake Ontario behind us on a beautiful, breezy sunny day. Best of all, everything was recyclable and the wooden plates were very chic! Once we were done eating we browsed the store and bought a bunch of new vegan foods that I had trouble finding at other health food stores. Kelly and Dave are super friendly and passionate about their cafe and very knowledgeable! Kelly spent a fair amount of time with us to talk to us at the register and tell us more about Kindfoods and veganism. I had an amazing experience at Kindfood and I highly recommend you stop by!

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Staff
Cons: Limited seating
BevSamuel
BevSamuel

Blows everyone else out of the water

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

I can't tell you how excited I am about Kindfood in Burlington, not just because it is vegan and gluten-free, but because the food is incredible. I won't name names, but Kindfood is far superior to any of the other GF options in the area. I love the funky and fresh atmosphere, the food is excellent and reasonably priced and the staff is more than friendly. I will make the drive from Oakville whenever possible! I'm going to sign up for the cooking classes.

Pros: Delicious, Gluten-free, Funky
Cons: Hopefully they will add more bake goods
McP
McP

Vegan Heaven! So grateful for this amazing place!!

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2010

Absolutely amazing place!!! I brought my father who is not vegan and he was so impressed and we both loved all the food. We each had a Buddha bowl and a smoothie. Everything was fresh and delicious.
We got an assortment of baked goods to take home and they were the best vegan baked goods that I've ever had! My Dad was amazed as well! I highly recommend the cupcakes and cookies.
Also, the staff was super friendly and the decor was bright and cheery.
I'm so looking forward to going back!

Pros: Excellent food, Amazing baked goods, Friendly, helpful staff
leko05
leko05

Absolutely amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2010

We ate there today and it was absolutely amazing. The food is fresh and flavourful and delicious, the staff are enthusiastic and helpful and the ambience is welcoming. The buddha rice bowl is great and filling, not to mention packed with protien and flavour. Please give this small place a try, you won't regret it!

Pros: great food, decorated wonderfully, great staff
Cons: it isn't closwer to me :(
kindfood
kindfood

Grand Opening

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2010

We are excited to introduce the community of Burlington to the newest generation of food concepts that are starting to spring up around the world. This however, is not a new idea, but rather it is taken from old traditions of clean, fresh and healthy organic foods available to the local community.
It's Food the way we really would like it to be. And now it has arrived here in Burlington.

We based this concept on our passion for living true to ourselves and to the natural and delicate world around us. Kindfood offers fruits, vegetables, herbs and produce from local farmers and artisans, which helps support the local community and reduces our carbon footprint. Kindfood buys only organically grown produce, which in turn enriches the local environment by supporting eco-systems. And, Kindfood offers only nutrient rich plant-based foods, which is healthier for you, better for the planet as a whole and reduces the exploitation of factory-farmed animals.

Kindfood is just as the name suggests. We are proud to be a part of the shift in consciousness that is happening on our planet, and we are proud to have so many people like you who are a part of it. We aspire to make "Kindfood Burlington" the place where it all started.

Thank you.

moshimoshi
moshimoshi

Wow - check this place out now!

5 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2010

Found out about this place on a recent trip to hamilton. The cafe menu is mouth watering, and the friendly staff helped with my lunch selection which was just delicious.
Make sure you treat yourself to one of their amazing deserts! The cafe is also a natural food store so bring your shopping list before going! Vegan heaven!

Pros: Vegan
Cons: limited seating

Dear Owner and Manager of Lettuce Love Cafe - Kindfood:

Thank you for being a Premium FRIEND supporter.

There's another way to promote your business on HappyCow:

Advertise your large, custom banner on the Burlington page, or any other regional page.

Please email us if you have questions, or to get started today!

Last updated: 2014/09/03