CLOSED: Les Cinq Saveurs d'...

Serves meat, veg options available. Simple restaurant in the Latin Quarter providing all vegetarian and vegan food except for fish. Simple macrobiotic cuisine. Uses seitan, tofu, and tempeh and has salads, daily plates, and complete plates. Macrobiotiques, végétaliennes et végétariennes. Non-smoking, no alcohol. Directions: near the subway stations Cardinal Lemoine (line 10) and Place Monge (line 7). FEB 2014 REPORTED SHUT BY MULTIPLE SOURCES, OWNERS RETIRED. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Macrobiotic, French, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
72 Rue Cardinal-Lemoine
Paris, France 75005

Open Tue-Sun 12-2:30pm, 7-10:30pm, closed Mon.

First Review by MBermingham
TmMiles410
TmMiles410

Looks like it closed according to th website :(

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2014

The website says "Les Cinq Saveurs d'Ananda est fermé depuis le 29/12/13" in English that means it has been closed since December 29, 2013. There was no other news or indication if it would reopen or what happened.

Grieselpfrue
Grieselpfrue

friendly place and staff, healthy fresh food

Posted on 12 / 12 / 2013

I went to les 5 saveurs d'ananda for dinner with my boyfriend in november 2013. We really enjoyed our stay due to the pleasantly simple but lovingly maintained interior and the super-friendly staff. We had a vegetable soup and a mixed plate with salsad, raw and steamed vegetables, quinoa, rice, tofu, tempeh and seitan. In fact, the restaurant does not offer many different dishes (they mostly contain what I indicated above in varying amounts), but what we got was perfectly matching our expectations and we just loved it. (I'm disappointed a rating of 5 cows is not allowed.)

Pros: friendly staff, friendly interior, fresh healthy food
Cons: (limited menu)
Mariannes
Mariannes

Simple and nice

Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

I was just here last week. The restaurant is located in a very charming area just off the top of Rue Mouffetard and right next door to where Hemingway used to live. The owner was very nice and chatty and the food was very simple and filling - nothing crazy there except they had an amazing tofu that they make themselves. That was yummi!

swade
swade

Menu now a little tired

Posted on 04 / 22 / 2013

I must have eaten here 6/7 times spread over the last decade or so, often alone sometimes with veggie pals, and always found it OK. However, going there recently I was glad I chose Les Cinq Saveurs as the 'dine alone' choice before my girlfriend joined me the following night. She is veggie herself but looked at menu online before we went and thought it looked a bit limited.

She was right - looking at it now, the menu is now looking extremely limited and there are other, better options around for vegetarians in Paris.

As others have said, the menu is basically meat substitute (or fish) with rice / grains and salad / raw veg / (very well) boiled veg. The only choice is which meat substitute (seitan / tofu / tempeh / all three) you want with which combination of veg / grains. And to be honest most options seem to include a little bit of everything anyway - the difference is just how much of it you get.

Overall the menu has got a kind of 70s vibe: the type of limited, wholesome menu and lack of options that one imagines carnivores think vegetarians eat all the time. Having said that one of my vegetarian friends pegged this down as his favourite of all the places we ate at some years back (the menu was identical) so I'm aware this stripped down, worthy, macrobiotic take does appeal to some palates. I'm not sure if the appeal is waning though as I ate there around 8:30 / 9pm on a Thursday night and it was dead. Previously it's been pretty busy even mid-week.

Pros: Friendly staff, Decent sized portions, All organic
Cons: Limited menu, Does serve fish if that's an issue
ALB
ALB

Good food but a limited menu

Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

I enjoyed a lovely meal of seitan, tofu and tempeh. It was accompanied by nice steamed vegetables, but far too much raw vegetables. Most dishes seem to have the same accompaniments so it would be nice to vary this. I think if you went with someone who eats meat it may be too 'different'. Very healthy food, too and this being Paris eating out is not cheap.

Pros: Healthy, Good soya food, Nice dressing
Cons: A lot of raw vegetables, No variety with accompaniments
ruzette
ruzette

Not bad but not excellent

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I went there a couple of time.
The menu is limited, the plates are almost the same : rice, veggies and tofu or seitan or tempeh.
The food is OK but not extraodinary. This restaurant is stereotypical of what omnis think a vegetarian/vegan would eat.

Though the staff is nice, i'm not sure I'll eat there again...

Pros: Location in La Contrescarpe
Cons: Not really tasty
Marguerite
Marguerite

A go-to Vegan/Vegetarian & Macrobiotic restaurant

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Great location, la Contrescarpe !, friendly staff, super vegan-friendly, also serves fish. Good, simple, plain, tasty, fresh food. If spicy taste desired, bring your own mix of spices !

Pros: Location, Quiet inside, Soothing food
Cons: On the bland side
hairybec
hairybec

Decent vegan food

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2012

The staff were friendly here but I was a bit disappointed with the food. It had a lot to live up to, given that it was the venue for our final meal, after having eaten in 6 or 7 other vegan or veggie restaurants over 3 days. I had the plate garni with tofu, while my partner had the same but with tempeh. The waiting staff were friendly, but the setting was cold and the cafe was a little shabby. The food was ok - the Plate Garni came with various steamed veg and salad. The contrast of hot and cold was a little odd and the rather limp salad had been dressed with far too much oil, making it somewhat inedible. The tofu was also undercooked but not as bad as some places. My partner didn't enjoy his and he thought the veg tasted like it had been cooked in fausty water. His tempeh also had a rather rubbery taste. Overall, the vastly different conponents of the dish just didn't work together. We wanted to like it but probably wouldn't go back.

Pros: Friendly staff , Menu in English and French , Generous portions
Cons: Odd foods put together, Didn't taste fresh, Walls need a lick of paint
Babette
Babette

Nice macrobiotic place

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2012

Note : This restaurant doesn't serve meat. BUT it does serve fish.

There are quite many macrobiotic places in Paris, but this is one I liked quite a lot. I took the Assiette complete découverte (Discoverty complete dish) which contains rice, quinoa, seaweed, a salad with a fabulous dressing, seitan, tempeh and tofu. It was delicious. I particularly recommend the tofu... it's one of the best tofu I've tasted.

This is a place for healthy food.

Pros: Outdoor seating, Friendly staff, Vegan desserts
Cons: Serves fish, Expensive, Limited menu
katypine
katypine

Mixed Feelings

Posted on 08 / 01 / 2011

The staff were kind and helpful, and the menu had a nice selection. The restaurant was quiet and cozy with a picturesque Parisian-street view. My daughter loved her fresh-squeezed apple juice. But I might as well have sold her soul to the devil, for how much it cost. The food was adequate, bordering on quite good, and was presented nicely. The desserts were not so great, tasted a little fridge-y, though they were vegan.

Pros: ambiance, friendly staff, tasty
Cons: expensive, sad dessert
Zmeika
Zmeika

Not impressed

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2011

I went there with my bf and after we read a menu we decided to leave. It seems as a chef of this resto is Lebanese, the way how food is cooked and served. It doesn't make me feel hungry. If I want Lebanese food, which I love, I would go for it. But this resto is vegetarian. Only few vegan options are available, but they all sound and look same. I didn't see any desserts that are 100% vegan. The iside interior is very nice in fact, could be good place for a romatic dinner, but not with this food.

Pros: design
Cons: food, no choice
TofuCelt
TofuCelt

Not worth it

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2011

This was the first veggie place that I visited in my recent vist to Paris. After reading several reviews I was looking forward to my visit here after a very long day of walking around paris. However, I have to say, the best thing I can say about this place was how friendly the staff were. My partner, who is not a vegetarian, stated, after seeing the food, 'This is partly why there are not more vegetarians and why non-vegetarians do not like to go to veggie restaurants'.....and I have to say, I agree with that statement. Everything was basically a place of vegetables with nothing much done with them. There was nothing originally about it. Even the sauce put on the 'salad' was basically just ONE dribble over the single brocolli stalk served. And the juices which we paid a small fortune for, were tiny, not even nearly quenching the huge thirst we had built up. They were the smallest juices I have ever had....but the highest prices. We also had a beer here, at an extortionate price (€3.80) for a tiny bottle (about 50cl). Our whole meal came to nearly €80.....basically for a terrible tasteless salad and a tiny beer and tiny juice. Never again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Nice decor
Cons: Extremely expensive...even for Paris., Unoriginal, Tiny proportions
estefinparis
estefinparis

Nothing special

Posted on 12 / 19 / 2009

My experience here was rather different from that of other reviewers. I found the menu to be boring and limited, basically it's a variation of one of two dishes (the "plat complet" - macrobiotic - and the "plate garni") with either tofu, tempeh, seitan, fish, avocado or goat's cheese. I went with two non-veg friends who were trying veg food for the first time and I'm afraid the meal confirmed their ideas about veg food: bland. The location however is very good and the staff were friendly and helpful.

sherill
sherill

Energizing food after a long flight

Posted on 05 / 09 / 2009

My husband and I ate at Les Cinq Saveurs d'Anada the first night we arrived in Paris and it felt sooooo good to get a plate of healthy, tasty food into our bellies. Yes, the food isn't the most imaginative or 'gourmet', but it is fresh, well prepared and after we ate there we felt like we had been revitalized. I also had what was probably the single best cup of espresso I've ever had and I'm very picky about coffee. I'll admit that we may have been influenced by our degree of fatigue, but nonetheless, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal there. Would definitely return.

Pros: ESPRESSO!!!, Very healthy, Kind service
Cons: Fairly expensive (but it is Paris)
footlooseveg
footlooseveg

Chef Boy-R-Dee meets over cooked vegetables

Posted on 04 / 11 / 2008

If you are seeking good combinations of flavors with well prepared meals, this is not the place for you. If you like a charming location in the Latin Quarter, with really nice hosts and patrons, then you will love Les Cinq Saveurs d'Anada.
If you like the flavor of spaghetti o's a'la Chef Boy-R-Dee, then check out this place's complete plate with seitan. Prefer a more sweet dinner? Try the tempeh version of the complete plate... It tastes like pancakes with maple syrup!
We were disappointed, especially after eating at Guen Mai for lunch. If you want good flavor, skip this restaurant. If you want a nice place in a cute area, go ahead! But be warned that your vegetables will be soggy and flavorless, the gateau will be bland, and the "crumble" will lack crumbles. But the hosts will be really nice, no matter what!

Pros: vegan options, nice staff, cute location
Cons: flavor (lack there of), soggy vegetables, bland desserts
Marco
Marco
  • non-vegetarian

Really savoury

Posted on 02 / 26 / 2008

We made an uphill walk to get at the restaurant. Although we arrived 10 minutes before opening time, the staff spotted us and invited us in. The interior is simple and friendly. The menu has translations in English. We had the "Plat découverte garni" with tofu, tempeh and seitan and the "Plat complet au fromage de chêvre". Both were very rich dishes with a wealth of subtle flavours an nutritionally well balanced. If you like your food to have a strong taste, you probably would appreciate the dishes less than we did. The tofu was the best I ever had, both taste and texture. For dessert we ordered applepie and chocolate cake. They were not very sweet, so you could really taste the apples or the cacao. The level of the prices is what can be expected for a restaurant with this quality in a nice neighbourhood in Paris. We enjoyed our meal very much.

Pros: good food, nice staff, nice surroundings
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Perhaps the greatest single vegan meal in my life

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2007

I am sitting here looking at the picture of my vegan plate. Its dotted with small sides making a mountain of vegan heaven. Brown Rice / Carrots / Cabbage / Steamed Veggies / Tempe / Salad / seaweed / lentils / beats, it is truly a work of culinary art. I want to eat this every day for the rest of my life. Everything was so flavorful, it was like having a dozen micro meals on one large plate. You MUST MUST MUST go here if you are a vegan in Paris. The staff is so nice and kind and the food is amazingly presented, flavored and fresh. Great for lunch!

Pros: vegan macro plate
supervegan
supervegan

Good for Macrobiotic.

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2007

I went here because it was the only vegetarian place I could find that was open on a Sunday night. I really wanted a nice, hot comforting meal and that is exactly what I got. I ordered the seitan stew, which came which several grains and a lovely salad and..not much seitan, though! It was a pretty bland meal, but it was definitely the healthy boost that I needed. The dessert was so-so.

Pros: Vegan-friendly
Cons: Very simple flavors
Miru
Miru

Decent food

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2006

Good selection, lots of daily specials. Food was good but suffered a bit from blandness - macro places often do I've found so I wasn't surprised. But the portions were quite large and overall tasty. Staff was very nice.

Pros: Good food, Nice staff, Big portions
Cons: A bit on the bland side
MBermingham
MBermingham
  • non-vegetarian

Delicious and different

Posted on 04 / 21 / 2006

I went to this restaurant over the Easter Bank Holiday with my girlfriend, who is vegan, and another couple who were not vegetarians. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the food was great. I had a 'complete plate' which consisted of a variety of cooked grains, raw and cooked vegetables, tofu, tempeh and seitan. It was delicious, the tofu was incredible, it was made into a quiche type thing with vegetables in it, the best tofu I have ever tasted. The pudding was a bit random, but still very tasty. We lingered for quite a long time drinking wine and never felt rushed. A very enjoyable, healthy, tasty and different dinner.

Pros: Relaxed atmosphere, Tasty healthy food, Different
Cons: Puddings were a bit odd

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Les Cinq Saveurs d'Anada: