Les Amants du Marche

All organic restaurant located in the north of Pau. Creative meals with vegan options prepared by the owners, Laure and Nicolas, using local produce. A 3 course meal on the weekend costs around 28 euros and is filling. Drinks menu includes fresh fruit and vegetable juices, artisanal beers, ciders, wines from local organic family farms, aperitifs, teas, and coffee. The atmosphere is warm and inviting with pleasant decor. Hosts a dinner concert where a live band plays inside the restaurant on the last Saturday of each month. Reservations suggested for dinner. New owners since April 2013. Open Tue-Sat lunch and dinner with full menu at 10pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, French, Juice bar, Beer/Wine
1, rue Bourbaki, Place Foirail
Pau, France 64000

First Review by RayLil
Oliviya
Oliviya

Dissapointed

Posted on 12 / 03 / 2014

Registered on happy cow specially to write a review about this place.
I was very excited to visit it, since there is not a lot of choice of vegan/vegetarian meals in Pau.
Very disappointed! I was first in the restaurant, came before they started to serve lunch and was served the last one. I did speak English and the stuff was English spoken, which was a nice surprise.
Ended up switching from dining in to take-away, because it took them forever to bring me my food. At the end, waiter used it as an excuse for serving me later, because they had to switch my lunch from the plate to the box. All other 5 tables who came 10-20 mins after me were served on time and almost finished their food.
Poor poor customer service or no customer service at all. I worked at the restaurant and know that things happen, my order might have been put at last (all though other tables ordered the same and got their food). Have guts to apologize at least! Don't blame it on me or somebody else. I know places which would suggest free dessert and do everything for customer to come back.
Sadly, I won't come back to this place during our stay in Pau, neither will I bring my husband or my friends to eat there.

As for a food, I did have a vegetable soup and the portion was generous.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 03, 2014

Pros: English-spoken stuff., Organic
Cons: Slow
JonJon
JonJon

Very fine and mainly vegan cuisine

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

Coming to this restaurant was a really good surprise. I knew that this area of France (the South-West) was not really vegetarian-friendly and can be even harder for vegans. But this restaurant is really a heaven for ethical-eaters. The place is really peaceful and pleasant. The decoration made of wood creates a warmful atmosphere. The staff is very friendly (originated from Great-Britain, recently new owners of the restaurant) and know how to run efficiently a restaurant. Every detail is thought to create a perfect dinner experience.

Almost every dish on the menu was vegan the evening when we ate. Only one main dish and one dessert were vegetarian. As a starter, we took a mushroom-lentils pâté with smoked tofu and seeds and a polenta with beans and a carot cream cooked in wine. They were excellent in taste and very well presented. We then took two different main dishes: an eggplant "roulé" with beetroot, fennel, cauliflower and chickpeas baked with béchamel sauce and Thai basil, served with a pearl barley risotto, spinach and yeast malt; and a chickpea galette with vegetables and cream. Both were very good and generous. The desserts (a chocolate-apricot cream and a yellow brownie) were also really appetizing even if we were close to be full.

Finally, the experience was amazing at a reasonnable cost for organic and fresh products. Less than 30 euros for a 3-course-meal and a cocktail. I would clearly recommend this restaurant for its food quality.

Pros: excellent food and dish presentation, very vegan-friendly, nice place, friendly staff
panda_eats
panda_eats

Finest vegan food around

Posted on 06 / 06 / 2014

I went there a couple of times, both to lunch and dinner, and it was always a great experience. The food is delicate, innovative and most important delicious! The portion sizes may look a tad small at first but I was satisfied in the end.
To be noted, it can get a bit expensive so I usually go there on big occasions.

Pros: Gourmet food, innovative, Great, peaceful atmosphere
Cons: Can get expensive

ClaireMyriamAbu
ClaireMyriamAbu

nice

Posted on 02 / 18 / 2014

nice place.

not too much choice, only one for vegan but veganism is possible which is not frequent in france!

RayLil
RayLil

good food, to bad the staff is SERIOUS !

Posted on 10 / 01 / 2011

The food is really quite good in this place, situated next to the organic market (wednesday and saturday mornings). But the staff really needs to brighten up !!! This is the deep of FRANCE, really. Lonely Planet said that the word SERVICE never was invented in France. This place is a proof on this. To bad because the food is really quite good.

Pros: good food, decoration , situation
Cons: staff, staff, uncomfortable
  • RayLil RayLil

The staff and the owner changed and there is a now a lovely woman running the place. So big change and the food is still very good.

Dear Owner and Manager of Les Amants du Marche: