CLOSED: Legend Vegetarian...

In the Chinese Cultural Plaza you will find this vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Specializes in mockmeat dishes and dim sum service with foods including vegetarian char siu or vegetable bao, veggiepork hash, stuffed look fun noodle, stuffed bean curd, half moon, stuffed mochi rice wrapped in lotus leaves, desserts. Lunch hours for Dim Sum, close around 2pm, then re-open at 5pm for dinner (call to confirm). Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out
100 N Beretania St (Nuuanu, Oahu)
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817
808-532-8218

Open daily 10:30am-2pm, closed Wed.

First Review by jbglidd
tansoku
tansoku

best chinese veg in hawaii

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

As a native New Yorker, I am very spoiled when it comes to vegan options. This place is, by far, the best veg place on the island of Oahu. Yes, the waitresses seem curt, but they are friendly if you aren't rude to them. I never order off the menu - just ask for pretty much everything off the dim sum cart. SO GOOD....

Pros: cheap, quick, tasty
Cons: neighborhood
westcornersville
westcornersville

Definitely Go for the Dim Sum

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

They had really good dim sum here, including stuffed tofu skins. The price is moderate--around $11 (including tax) for a 3-item dim sum lunch. They have a menu as well (around $10 per entree) with the usual chinese vegetarian fare (including mock meats). They're in the back of the Chinese Cultural Plaza near the river--and there is also a Legend's Seafood Restaurant very close by (keep looking for the vegetarian restaurant if you've found the former). Note that they're closed for dinner, other than for special events.

Pros: great dim sum
Cons: closed for dinner
msvegan
msvegan

Great Dim Sum Lunch

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2011

I would recommend this place for their Dim Sum. The rest of the menu is standard Chinese Veg with an emphasis on mock meats etc.

The deep fried Taro puffs on the dim sum are delicious.

Pros: Delicious Dim Sum, Fast service on Dim Sum, Pure veg aside from Custard tarts
Cons: Poor service outside of dim sum, hectic atmosphere when busy

suzieyoga
suzieyoga

Legend Vegetarian Restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

My husband and I were visiting the Foster Botanical Gardens which are walking distance from Chinatown, Honolulu. I plugged into happycow for closest vegan restaurants and LEGEND was one of them.

Forget about parking on the street. You have to park in the parking garage and we were there on a Sunday. So was everyone else.

There are several renditions of LEGEND, but the vegetarian one was easy to get into. NO waiting.

The other bloggers are right. There's no help with what to order and the Dim Sum waitress arrived "demanding" to know what we wanted. Forget about the ambiance. The dim sum was worth the trip and we also had the fried rice with gluten.
We loved it.

Pros: price, choice, quiet
Cons: no help with menu
scarletp5
scarletp5

finally I can try dim sum too!

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2011

Ate the dim sum from the cart and nothing from the menu. You need to know what you want or else be enthusiastic about whatever the waitress is currently pointing to. Typical service from Asian-run restaurants -- don't expect to be coddled and chatted up, because in Asia waiters don't work for tips. By the time we were done there was only one other table occupied, which might explain why the cart never came around after the first time without having to ask. And be very clear about whether or not you are actually ordering something you're asking about; we asked if the tarts had real egg and replied with "ok", which was interpreted as an order of tarts not as an acknowledgement to their answer of "yes, contains egg".

Anyway, the food. If you've had dim sum before you might not be too impressed, but if not then good food plus novelty goes a long way. Some of it was a little boring so we made good use of the soy sauce on the table. Oh, and ask for a plate of the sesame balls to be brought from the kitchen. I really wish we'd eaten here a few more times because I'm still craving dim sum and Hawaii is far away...

Pros: variety, price
Cons: hidden behind Legends Seafood, non-vegan egg custard dessert, typical Asian service
JoeyDj37
JoeyDj37

Unique Vegetarian Menu!!!

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2009

It's quite true that this place is hard to find...I almost turned around when I saw Legend Seafood...
Finding it tucked away in the alley to the Chinese Cultural Center was a relief...Now I had to decide what to try. I had the Dim Sum, well priced and wide variety to choose from. Too bad I had gone alone, it was very filling.
i went back the next day and the waitress, Yee, suggested the Pork. Again, a large serving. You'd either need a mate or a large appetite when you visit there.
I left with a take out of Assorted Tofu and Gluten, and another serving of Pork!!

Pros: Great Chef, Dim Sum
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Veggie Dim Sum!

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2009

We ended up eating here twice on vacation since we liked it so much the first day, we came back the next day. We saw another party of three do the same thing! Steamed buns, bean curd rolls, mochi rice, fried taro, dumplings, red bean sesame balls, so many yummy things! We totally ate too much. Everyone was very friendly including the manager and/or owner we spoke to. The waitresses would come right over with the dim sum cart when you got their attention. We had no problem parking in the garage and finding the place.

Pros: veggie dim sum, lots of variety, ample validated parking
krazykat
krazykat

I love this restaurant!

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2009

I've nothing bad to say about this restaurant. Only problem is the location: although the address is Beretania, this restaurant is actually on River Street. The place is hidden behind the similar name of...well, Seafood restaurant! which is owned by the same person. Anyways, I got there just in-time for Dim Sum after wondering around looking for this restaurant. Was well worth it. The food was great, the service was prompt, and the price was reasonable. I am so psyched that I finally found a place where I can get vegetarian Dim Sum here in Hawaii! I had the steamed buns(forgot the name), beancurd wrapped veges, dumplings, and few others...they were all yummy. If I didn't have to worry about parking, I'd probably be staying longer & overate(I parked on the main street across the bridge at the 1 hour-limit parking meters. Later found out that there's parking in the building that restaurant can validate for you...). I was near-stuffed and happily walked out from the restaurant. Regarding "the service", although I didn't have any negative experience, I believe the problem is definitely "the language barrier" just as the previous reviewer posted. If I needed something, as soon as I looked around & smiled at any of those waitresses who walked pass by, she'd usually stop. BTW, I had a brief conversation with the lady/owner at check-out by commenting how great the food was & how much I enjoyed them. She smiled & asked me if that was my first time, and told me to come back again. Oh yes, I'll definitely be back!

Pros: Dim Sum!!!!!
Cons: Not on the main street, Closed on Wednesdays
Guest
Guest

Loved It!

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2008

We ate here three times while vacationing on O'ahu. Everything was delicious and the service was good. We ate dim sum and off the menu. The "butterfish" dish was fantastic as was a sweet and sour "pork" with fresh pineapple and tomato. All the dim sum was tasty. Waitresses were extremely friendly. I have to wonder if some of the negative reviews on service were from the language barrier. Or might I venture, boorish tourists, which we saw plenty of during our stay. I liked that the servers did not hover. All it took was making eye contact with them and they would rush over to see what we wanted. The ambiance is casual and the food inexpensive.

Pros: excellent food, good value, interesting mock meats: even "Spam"!
Cons: parking issues...we take the bus, only open for lunch
bcveeg
bcveeg

Great Value for Your $

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2008

I just recently visited Legends and had a positive experience. It was quickly evident though when my friend and I sat down that the menu was set up for a group of people to order many dishes to share. I wanted veggies and mockmeat together with some rice and after explaining my desire they brought a healthy serving of broccoli, mockmeat in a spicy sauce that was delicious. Also a small (3/4 cup) cup of rice on the side. I had to take my leftovers home, as the serving was ample. It was exactly what I wanted and I would suggest to others that if you don't see what you want on the menu, talk to the staff. My non-vegetarian friend was a bit intimidated and chose a veggies and noodles which was too much for one person. We came out with doggie bags and our bill was just around $20 total.

Pros: Good value, Healthy portions
Cons: Staff friendly, hard to get attention
ben rand
ben rand
  • raw

NOT YET THERE

2 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2007

The cuisine and service are not impressive. I am an avid vegetarian--for ethical reasons, and go out of my way to patronize veg restaurants. However, there comes a point where I feel the money I spend has to earn back at least 50% of its value in terms of food, the fining experience & quality of service. I would love to see a really good Chinese veg restaurant in Honolulu, but Legends has ways to go before it gets there. (TO HAPPY COW: I am not a malicious malcontent. I have given the establishment several chances, and can substantiate my less-than-glowing notice. If you have questions, please email me.)

Cons: SERVICE NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED, WAITERS & OWNER NEED TO BE POLITE, IMPROVEMENTS NEEDED
jbglidd
jbglidd

Good Food, Large Selection, OK Service

3 Posted on 08 / 25 / 2007

Very large selection of all kinds of mock meat dishes and traditional dim sum. Food tastes great, the service isn't so good. Need to practically beg for water and refills forget about it. Worth trying at least once however.

Pros: Great Food, Large Selection
Cons: Service, Staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Legend Vegetarian Restaurant: