Saint Petersburg raw food cafe. BYOB. Relocated here Apr 2014 and reported no longer offering hot soups, Dec 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, All Raw, Organic, American, Fusion, Take-out

MarisaClark
MarisaClark

Raw vegan

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2014

Started with the curry soup. Tasty but weird because I'm not used to cold soup. Had the Tuscan pizza as my entree. Super yummy and served with side salad-the dressing was really good. The crust was crunchy and could be addictive!!! Dessert was a chocolate lava cake. Very nutty and delicious. This spot was worth the drive from Tampa.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 14, 2014

3carolyn
3carolyn

Leafy Greens - perfect lunch!

Posted on 01 / 31 / 2014

Had a loose leaf Earl Grey with honey and almond milk to start. What a perfect start...

Then the Mixed Green salad, with avocado, sprouts, red onion, soaked almonds, cucumber, and a green dressing :)

Organic, raw, vegan and sooo yummy.

Saw a Thai soup (cold and raw) come out that looked amazing. Planning on having that tomorrow.

Pros: fresh bright flavors, excellent tea, warm and inviting staff
GigglingPixie
GigglingPixie

yummy raw vegan food :-)

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2013

I have eaten here several times...best not to come here during typical rush times.
Food is yummy, but kinda expensive. Place is clean and service is good. I have had almost everything on menu...it is all good. Ample portions.

MRappaport
MRappaport

A Treasure

Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

Delicious vast menu. Very thoughtful combinations of ingredients for entrées. Desserts were amazing and the soups and smoothies a delight. Yummy and clean and healthy the way Raw Food artistry should be. The staff friendly, attentive and knowledgable.

Thank you so very much!

alsergel
alsergel

amazing

Posted on 07 / 03 / 2013

My wife and I are vegan. we were in St. Petersburg for some family business and searched for vegan restaurants in the area. Leafy Green popped up. We went and had a late lunch - it was amazing. great service with a friendly-laid back-knowledgeable vibe. Tuscan Pizza is ridiculous; my wife got the Real Deal - and it was amazing as well.

It's a solid place and we will absolutely go back.

ozmangolfer
ozmangolfer
  • raw

Great service raw food for the win!!

Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

This was by far my best raw vegan restaurant experience.. Small little cozy place, was busy when I went and the waitress did a great job of handling all of us. I had the pizza and it was good as well as a bunny love smoothie which was quite tasty. With my meal I had the thai coconut curry soup which was divine. And to end it all off the chocolate lava cake which was out of this world!! People need to learn how good raw food can be!! Please visit this cafe.

Pros: Service
shakes13t
shakes13t

Devil in the details

Posted on 04 / 23 / 2013

Driving through the area we were happy to see a raw place. It was easy enough to find. We ordered the mediterranean pizza and the burger. I was a little surprised the they only offered one gluten-free entree. For two lunch entrees, no drink or desserts or appetizers, it was over $35, not including tip. It took a long time to get our food, and we were surprised that they use standard styrofoam to-go containers. The staff was friendly. The food was good-not amazing, but solid. The pizza crust was thick enough not to get soggy, which was nice. The portions were a good size, not too small but not big enough to warrant the price. I know that raw is expensive, but it just is not that expensive. I have run raw restaurants and eaten at many throughout the world, and it is hard to find the balance between expensive enough to make up for low sales in a raw-unfriendly market and moderate enough to let newbies try a new way of eating in order to build clientele in those markets, but this place is priced like the best raw restaurants in NYC, where everything is much more expensive anyway. So, the details: cost, eco-friendliness, time to get our food, are where the score come from. If that doesn't matter to you, give this place a try, the food alone would get four cows from us.

Pros: Convenient, Raw/vegan, Tasty
Cons: Expensive, Took a long time, Styrofoam
  • Leafy Greens Cafe Leafy Greens Cafe

Just wanted to thank you for your review, however, we are VERY conscious about what we do and what our market is. We are 90% organic - if you know about organic produce, you will know that the cost of organic is about 3 times the cost of conventional. Our food is actually less than 20% higher than our conventional competition. In essence, the cafe has a MUCH smaller profit margin than our conventional counterparts. I am unsure where you have eaten but the chef from Pure Food and Wine from New York as well as David Wolfe himself, said it was the BEST raw food restaurant they had ever been to! We are very proud and conscientious about what we do and EVERYTHING including the details like mustard and raw ketchup are made at the cafe from scratch. Sorry, but I have eaten at many raw food places and I can safely say we blow the others away! I suggest you come back and try it again after visiting some others. You said you have run raw food restaurants -- were they organic?

healthylife777
healthylife777
  • non-vegetarian

Great food and service

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2013

Very good food, fast. Quality is excellent. Service is great as well!

Dgrilly
Dgrilly

Best yet

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2013

Had the tacos today and they were the best vegan food in a restaurant I've ever had. Slow but worth the wait. Smoothies were really yummy too

Pros: tasty, unique
Cons: slow
Dale
Dale

yummy

Posted on 12 / 18 / 2012

I have been twice. After the first experience I just had to return with another health conscious friend. She loved the pizza that she dreamed of it a long time thereafter .
I thoroughly enjoyed the wait time sipping on a wonderful carrot almond drink and enjoying the time with dear friends.
The waitress was very nice and patient and helpful. They are all willing to share their knowledge of the ingredients and preparation to anyone who is interested in making raw meals themselves.
Very clean.
Store front street parking was not a problem.

Pros: all raw, delicious, generous portions, clean
Cons: pricey but you can share
lulu58
lulu58

Great Food; So-So Service; Happy Experience

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

This place has awesome food and beverages, yummy raw desserts, and a nice atmosphere. The service leaves something to be desired, but for such delicious, healthy raw food, it's worth the wait. Just don't go if you're in a hurry, because they're not! Love it.

Pros: Healthful raw food, Great taste, Nice people
Cons: Long waittime
sharigonza
sharigonza

Great food

Posted on 05 / 29 / 2012

great food.

Pros: good food, friendly
Cons: slow, limited menu
JRhodes
JRhodes

Bad Service Left Bad Taste

Posted on 04 / 04 / 2012

Our family of three visited Leafy Greens during a recent day trip to St. Pete's. It had been recommended by a local as we sought a good vegetarian lunch. What we found was that while our waitress smiled a lot, she and others at the restaraunt were absolutely incapable of service. The place is small and quaint - just our style. And, the menu pricing did seem high, but we were on vacation and okay with a splurge. The taste of the food was actually decent, but waiting nearly an hour and a half for three raw dishes (the tacos, the burger and the wrap) seemed absolutely ridiculous -- all without the waitress stopping by once to say "oh, so very sorry for the delay, can I refill your drink or make your stay more pleasant in some other way". See, I put my way through college working at restaurants and know what service is. Even when the restaurant is busy or slow or backed up, you communicate with your customers so they don't feel ignored. The kicker was that we had our 7 year old son with us and yes, kids tend to be a little less adventurous with food. Every place we went to while on vacation (mostly local restaurants but also a few chains) realize that sometimes kids require a bit more accommodation. I asked if there was any way that we could get a piece of bread or wrap for his burger (sorry folks, while he likes lettuce, the flavorless veggie burger was not something any of us could wrap our heads or the lettuce around), the chef got angry. They charged us $4 extra dollars for the onion wrap, which was fine on the cost side, but not the attitude side. So, if you happen to be into going and spending a lot of money to be ignored and treated poorly by pompous staff, then Leafy Greens is your place. But, I'll tell you, there isn't a meal good enough that would make me choose that kind of poor service and treatment, especially while on vacation.

Pros: Decent Food, Quaint Decor
Cons: Horrible Service, Not Accommodating, Rude
  • Leafy Greens Cafe Leafy Greens Cafe

I apologize for your experience at the cafe. Unfortunately, the time you were there was at the time a HUGE full-page article came out about the cafe and we were totally overwhelmed. As the owner, I want you to know that we do NOT sell onion bread under any condition - my rules. So if they did give you the wrap, it was against the policy of the cafe - someone was trying to accommodate you. As for the flavor of the burger, I don't know of any veggie burger that is more intense in flavor than ours! In fact, I can't eat it without a huge pile of veggies because it is much too intense in flavor! It is made with portabello mushrooms, red onion, nama shoyu, olive oil, walnuts and lots of fresh herbs. I can't imagine anyone could make one that was as flavorful. If a server has 10 tables - all coming in at once, it is quite difficult to give anyone personal service - this is what had happened in April. I do so apologize, but the cafe is a five-star cafe and the food is fabulous - your experience is not the average but rather the exception. I hope you will contact me if you are coming back to town. I would like to make your next experience the pleasure it should have been!

Nicki
Nicki

Amazing food!

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2011

I just went to Leafy Greens for the first time. I got the raw pizza, and my partner got the raw pasta dish. Both were good, but we both liked the pizza best. It was so good! I also got a blueberry iced tea, which was delicious, and we both got a raw macaroon for dessert which were also great. I definitely recommend the place!

Pros: Healthy, Outdoor seating, Friendly staff
shernie45
shernie45

thai curry coconut soup

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2011

best soup ever!!! OMG! the real deal & the mediterranean pizza are also amazing!

DanielleM
DanielleM

You must try this place

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2010

I went to Leafy Greens Cafe on October 16, 2010 and it was wonderful. The staff was friendly and the food was great. Being a trucker it was so nice to walk into a place to eat and be able to order anything on the menu.It was my first visit but it will not be my last.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, good portions
Cons: only one restroom
txdoglover
txdoglover

leafy greens one year ago

Posted on 10 / 18 / 2010

I went to leafy greens while visiting my hometown one year ago and took my mother in law. She is not veg, and only thought her food was okay. I really didn't think much of this as she has a REALLY limited palate and doesn't like much of anything in the way of food. I, on the other hand thought the food was EXCELLENT! The owner came out and talked with us for awhile and told me how to get one of her recipes online, as I am just learning about raw food. I am coming out again in a few days, and hope to visit her restaurant again.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good value
Cons: small dining rm
Guest
Guest

Perfect for a healthy lunch

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

My husband and I drove all the way from Lakeland (at least 45 minutes away) to have lunch at Leafy Greens this afternoon. We read other reviews on this website and decided we just had to try it and we are so happy we did. The waitress greeted us immediately and sat us in the corner by the window. Only a half wall partition separates diners from the kitchen, so it is very open, which was neat. My husband has the chili and the cucumber and pineapple soup. I decided to try the Italian salad and the Zucchini "Spagetti" with a delicious pesto sauce. We both order half portions and it ended up being the perfect size for lunch. 4 hours later, we are still satisfied and will probably only eat a light dinner. We also ordered hot tea and "chocolate" macaroons for dessert. The food is simple, yet bursting with flavor and it is very filling. While the dining area is small and intimate, the high ceiling and windows make it very airy. When we were there every table was full (6 tables for 3-4 people each). Also, the menu was very simple, with only a few selections for each "category", but the quality of the food makes up for it. We really enjoyed our lunch and will definitely return next time we are in St. Pete!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Large portions
Cons: Small dining-in area, Simple menu
SAL
SAL

Special Cafe

Posted on 09 / 27 / 2009

I have a strict Organic diet and in recent travels found this cafe online. Called the owner Denise who was very nice and after detailed discussion of my dietary needs, we decided on a menu for my upcoming visit. Unfortunately when I arrived with a friend on date agreed, the staff had not purchased organic produce as the owner asked and I ended up having a bland, dry, over priced lunch. When asking waiter about my preplaned meal she said the "garlic is sort of organic". Hello, there is no such thing as 'sort of organic'. It is or isn't. My friend enjoyed her meal. I would try it again but only after talking with the owner again with a commitment to serving an all organic meal.

Pros: healthy food, nice atmosphere, no meat
Cons: amateur chef, over priced, uneducated staff
  • NotionView NotionView

As the Owner of Leafy Greens Cafe, I feel I need to respond to this review personally. I spoke to this guest before she came to the cafe. I discussed her arrival with my staff, who, by the way, is headed by a VERY qualified graduate of the Natural Culinary Inst of New York City.

She told me that she had flat-lined from eating non-organic food. I question why someone would even take a chance eating at a public eatery when their life is in danger. I assured her that we could provide her with an all organic meal. When she arrived, she had ideas of her own about what was organic and what wasn't. She insisted that my organic produce supplier was selling me non-organic items and refused to eat several items my staff suggested. With the threat that she might DIE from eating at the cafe and my absense at the time she arrived, my staff was hesitant to create anything for her. My kitchen was HAULTED in order to create a tomato sauce to the CUSTOMER'S SPECIFICATIONS! We gave her exactly what she asked for. I arrived while she was eating and went to make sure she was happy. She said the food was good even though she gave us a negative review. We do our very best to provide as much organic as is available at a resonable price.

• xbillyx xbillyx

Flat-lined from eating non-organic food? I very much doubt that. It sounds like this person was a nutjob and the owner did everything she could to accommodate her. That's one con about health food...it brings out some crazies.

• MeenErhabes MeenErhabes

Natural Culinary Inst of New York City is nothing to BRAGG about.There students are taught how to murder all sorts of Gods creatures ,cutting them into pieces so someones tongue can dance on their flesh.

Christina123
Christina123

Our great experience at Leafy Greens Cafe

Posted on 04 / 13 / 2009

My family and I went to Leafy Greens Cafe and were extremely happy with the whole restaurant. The place was newly decorated, very clean, cozy, had excellent staff and the owner personally comes out to check out how we are doing. My family and I are going raw and were tired of green smoothies, salads and just plain raw vegetables. The menu at Leafy Greens Cafe really gives us hope to eat normal great tasting meals. The food was wonderful.

Pros: great food, clean and attractive restaurant, great service
Cons: not the best neighborhood
keyroo
keyroo
  • raw

The best restaurant in St Pete!

Posted on 01 / 18 / 2009

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Leafy Greens Cafe! Denise was an incredible hostess who truly made us feel at home, the food was phenomenal, the portions were huge and the prices were reasonable. I look forward to my next visit.

Pros: incredible food, reasonable prices, huge portions
Leafy Greens Cafe
Leafy Greens Cafe

A Sad Note...

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2008

I am the owner of Leafy Greens Cafe. Today, after four VERY successful months open, we had our FIRST unhappy customer! Two people came into the restaurant and ordered a stir-fry and an infused rice dish. Both were ordered without garlic or onion, which I gladly accommodated because we make everything from scratch and I make most of the vegan dishes, being a long-time vegan and Macro for many years.

Well, the one infused rice dish was made with orange juice, rice vinegar and a small amount of Tamari Sauce. Just so you know, we only use the BEST ingredients and the Tamari we use costs a FORTUNE!!! The stir fry is described as a tofu dish with a "Savory Brown Tamari Sauce". There was no question that we were using Tamari for this dish! The guest (Ralph Reed) and his partner ate half of the dish and then, when the server asked if they wanted to take the other half home (our portions are pretty big and it is not unusual for someone to leave with vegan food), they said the food was WAY too salty! I was pretty upset because this was the first customer since we opened to complain - but worse was the fact that I tried to offer to re-cook them a dish or give them something else and Mr. Reed wanted to argue instead. I tried to explain that we use aged traditional Tamari in the Macro tradition and that we would be happy to fix any problem he had. He responded by telling me he was a vegetarian for 20+ years (same as me!) and that our Brown organic basmati rice, organic veggies cold pressed organic olive oil and aged Tamari with Arrowroot was not healthy!

He then thanked me for arguing with him and told me that he was going to write a terrible review of our restaurant! I wanted to send this out because I am quite confident that I did everything possible to fix anything I could possibly fix for this customer and that I really believe (since he also did not tip the server) that these people may make excuses in order to not pay for their dinners and I wanted to make sure that any other restaurateur that looks through these reviews knows this person's name so they do not fall prey to the same nonsense.

As for everyone else reading this, I assure you that we bend over backwards to please our customers and have had nothing but RAVE reviews of our food!

The most ironic part of this is that I keep Organic, Low-sodium, Aged Tamari in the restaurant for anyone who asks for it!

Be well,
Denise

Pros: Friendly, Accommodating, GREAT FOOD!
Cons: Takes a while to get the food, Parking in downtown is always a problem, Too many good things to order!
NotionView
NotionView
  • raw

The ONLY Raw Vegan Restaurant in Pinellas County!

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2008

Leafy Greens Cafe arrived in downtown St Pete the first week in November and they are taking the town by storm! The menu was changed to allow people to order half portions for lunch (which really is great because there are so many things to try you want to order more than one!). The food is fresh, creative and exciting! The prices are where they should be for the quality of the food (all organic) with lunch ranging from $8-9. The best part is you never know what the specials will be - usually something yummy like a raw cobbler or dessert and always some kind of wonderful vegan hot dish! They also have a raw food market with lots of raw grocery items that are hard to find in the health food stores, organic produce sold at great wholesale prices and organic teas sold by the weight. The atmosphere is more casual than their beach location and much easier to reach - just off I-375 right in the middle of St Pete, which is the best city in Tampa Bay, in my opinion. There's lots to do in town before or after your meal too! The Saturday market is wonderful as are the shops and museums as well as the pier and the sailboats! What a great way to spend the afternoon! I sneak back to the cafe after shopping for a soft serve dessert or a smoothie too! Check it out - well worth the trip!

Pros: RAW!!! Excellent food!, Fresh and Organic, Terrific Menu Selections
Cons: Expect a short wait, More expensive than conventional food, Parking meters during the week
wendy
wendy

once the word gets out...

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2008

Second visit, and I promise to go again (it's so close to home!). Each entree I've tried seems to become a new favorite of mine. Today, Raw vegan lasagna! Definitely the way to go! My husband had the Artichoke Pasta Pomadoro with chicken (which he found out later that it was totally vegan) and being a meat & potatoes guy, thought it was the real thing. I had a taste of his pasta after finding out it was vegan and it was yummy too. We shared the cucumber salad (my husband's favorite veggie) and a blueberry crumble, both were awesome too. I look forward to next week when we take another walk up the beach. If you enjoy a glass of wine or a beer, you'll need to bring your own. The food is worth the wait as it is freshly prepared.

If they aren't too busy, Denise & staff would probably create something to your child's liking, while we were there Max's Wrap was invented. Keep in mind that Leafy Greens specializes in raw, vegan and vegetarian dishes. Some of the dishes (like pasta entrees) are cooked.

If you haven't been yet, now is the time to discover Leafy Greens, before word gets out and becomes the rave of the beach. Kudos to Denise & staff! I'm really glad you chose Redington Beaches as home to your Cafe.

Pros: unique menu, healthy , friendly staff, excellent entrees prepared freshly
Cons: food is worth the wait time,, non-alcohol
  • wendy wendy

Leafy Greens has moved downtown St Pete. I've been a few times and Denise continues to get my rave reviews.

Dear Owner and Manager of Leafy Greens Cafe: