CLOSED: Leaf Organics

Remodeled and expanded in spring of 2012, Leaf provides a full spectrum of vegan food incorporating raw vegan as well as macrobiotic and probiotic fermented food using natural and organic ingredients. Lot parking available. JUNE 17, 2013 LAST DAY/SHUT DOWN, owner reported building sold. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Fusion, Raw, Juice bar, Catering, Take-out

eric
eric

Landmark Vegan

5 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

Leaf has been around for years now and has evolved a number of times. If you're visiting LA it's really worth a visit and if you haven't been there in a while it's worth trying it again.
They've switched their menu from all raw to about half & half. Both allow you customization, so with options included the menu is huge. I tend to order raw during the day and cooked in the evening. I often get one of the collard wraps at lunch and their lasagna is my favorite cooked item, usually only available after 5pm. They also now have a vegan soft serve that's yummy and you can do a straight cone or cup and even a full on sundae.
My only gripe is that their waitstaff are hot or miss. Sometimes it's been really slow.

Pros: Expanded menu and interior, Vegan Soft Serve, Allow for customization
Cons: Waitstaff (sometimes)
Chia
Chia

The Rebirth of Leaf

4 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2013

Was just here again in March 2013, here's my updated Leaf Organics review. I've been coming here since it first opened as a totally raw cafe some years back years and was named Leaf Cuisine. I remember when it had shut for a while and re-opened in June 2010. Now it's a combined cooked vegan fusion and raw food cafe.

I'm usually open to trying different prepared raw foods, and Leaf is a good place for that. The menu is over 50% RAW. I've tasted several of the raw burgers & wraps, the raw pad thai, and a couple different raw soups... The salads are very good - like the raw sprouts. The raw cakes/pies that I've had seemed too rich and dense for my personal liking (lots of coconut butter and nuts combination), but I do like the luscious flavors of rich chocolates and fresh berries.

My favorite used to be the sloppy jose burrito, which was a combination of raw & cooked ingredients. Not sure if Leaf offers it anymore. The fresh pressed juices are always yum.

On the menu I noticed cooked spaghetti and lasagna and several vegan burgers (with either soy protein patty or gardein faux chicken). Think next time I go I'll try the spaghetti or lasagna.

There's plenty of seating. You seat yourself and the waitstaff comes to take your order. But even though it's sit-down, the service is pretty laid-back.

Overall, Leaf is a fair place for a casual meal, raw or cooked vegan American style food.

Pros: organic and vegan, fresh ingredients, casual, no frills
Cons: ventilation could be better
vtraveller
vtraveller

raw vegan soft serve!

5 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

Leaf has gone through changes and recently introduced a new menu, and expanded their dining area. I hear they're also going to be added more cooked dishes soon. I had a simple guacamole wrap and it was great, wrapped in kale rather than a tortilla (which is an optional add-on).
For dessert I was going to order one of their amazing desserts but then noticed they now have soft serve- chocolate & vanilla. Had chocolate and it was yummy!!!

Pros: vegan soft serve, organic, many options
Cons: little pricy
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Good Food

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

Leaf has expanded into a full-service restaurant with larger menu choices (it used to be counter service). You can get both raw as well as cooked food here. I come here occasionally with friends for lunch, and the foods has been consistent. I like the raw salads.

Lizcacao
Lizcacao

visiting from ny

2 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

I work at a raw food restaurant in NY and I've been craving their raw pizza so I decided to try Leaf's raw pizza. It was overdressed w/ sauce. I also disliked my po boy sandwich, which I guess could just be my taste preference. I got rod's fav smoothie and after tasting this pulpy concoction w/ pieces of what seemed to be chopsticks in it, I found it very hard to believe that this was the owners favorite smoothie at Leaf.

Pros: Proximity to house, Vegan/raw cafe

GabrielleGumption
GabrielleGumption

• herbivore

absolutely wonderful

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

Innovative recipes that are actually delicious and wholesome! Gotta try a burger with the mango bread, and finish with a sundae

Pros: taste, presentation, service
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

raw and patient

2 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2012

We called ahead to confirm there was something we could eat, they said the chili was made with no oil... we sat down and waited forever... order from the counter, the service is slow. So after going back and forth with the kictchen, its all premade and has oil... thanks after we bought a groupon. You'd think we could get a plate of kale and rice, but no. I think we offended them?

kapela
kapela

• non-vegetarian

Green thumbs up for Leaf Organics

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

OMG! I was such not a believer in RAW or even organic food for that matter! All it took was one trip to Leaf Organics and I'm a believer...not a fanatic but I did find out how important is was to incorporate such foods into my diet and I am so glad I did! The food is amazing especially after finding out how long the prep time is for some of the dishes...it's like days seriously! I wish the menu was bigger. Don't want to gush but I do have to mention their 3-day Detox...Amazing!!! Also the juices, kombucha, kale chips, cashew cream cheese...and for those of you that think it's over priced do some research and find out what goes into preparing these dishes, I was ignorant just like you, until I read, " Raw Food For Real People" by Rod Rotondi. You Rock Rod...and a shout out to everyone else over there!

Pros: delicious food , healthy, and delicious food
Cons: small staff

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Leaf Organics: